10/10/2019 - a tight horn and a crisp reed is what feeds me - Tom blames his sax for his poor performance. Ignoring, of course, that he has zero musical ability

The Reaper

Dreaming of Egg Nog
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone have a higher quality picture of his horn? I'm curious as to whether or not he has a student, intermediate, or professional model and whether or not the horn has any age. Knowing the age and make of the horn I may be willing to give some benefit of the doubt, as I've played on cheap horns and sounded like crap. People thought I didn't know how to play but when I got my hands on a more reliable sax they were shocked at how much of a spike in control I had.

As I said I would be willing to give a bit. He probably has a cheap mouthpiece and the horn is likely a student model he picked up without realizing it. All that benefit of the doubt disappears, however, when I see him doing this:
tommy's horn placement.png

If you look at where his mouthpiece placement is he is playing almost out of the corner of his mouth. You are never supposed to do this. This will destroy any sound you are about to make, especially if you have no professional study of the horn. I could potentially play mine out of the side of the mouth, but I know it would sound like shit and it would ruin the face muscles, which are one of the biggest factors involved in getting a good sound.

Oh man he's on soprano too? I thought he only had an Alto? That creates all sorts of new complications as well.

Xochi

Andy Ngo's #1 fan
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone have a higher quality picture of his horn? I'm curious as to whether or not he has a student, intermediate, or professional model and whether or not the horn has any age. Knowing the age and make of the horn I may be willing to give some benefit of the doubt, as I've played on cheap horns and sounded like crap. People thought I didn't know how to play but when I got my hands on a more reliable sax they were shocked at how much of a spike in control I had.

As I said I would be willing to give a bit. He probably has a cheap mouthpiece and the horn is likely a student model he picked up without realizing it. All that benefit of the doubt disappears, however, when I see him doing this:
View attachment 967586
If you look at where his mouthpiece placement is he is playing almost out of the corner of his mouth. You are never supposed to do this. This will destroy any sound you are about to make, especially if you have no professional study of the horn. I could potentially play mine out of the side of the mouth, but I know it would sound like shit and it would ruin the face muscles, which are one of the biggest factors involved in getting a good sound.

Oh man he's on soprano too? I thought he only had an Alto? That creates all sorts of new complications as well.
I'd wager he found it in the trash. I'd also wager he doesn't have a fucking clue how to play the saxophone, and any semblance of knowledge with the instrument is a completely random occurrence. Tom has the type of massive ego that leads someone to take two lessons with a professional teacher and then decide they're beyond mere teaching and they must be a Jimi Hendrix prodigy type who just naturally sounds awesome.

The Reaper

Dreaming of Egg Nog
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In one of the previous streams he says he got it for 20$ on eBay. I can't remember which, I watch all of them and they kind of just blur together.
It's probably not even a student model. More recently the Chinese have been getting into the instrument market, and they make horns that sell for less than a fraction of legit Yamaha or Selmer models. The horns are so cheap a lot of stores will refuse to work on them because the actual horn is worth less than the cost of repairs, and the likelihood of breaking something else while doing said repairs is high. He needs to keep a better eye on his stuff in order to prevent his stuff getting stolen.

Also he will never get a good sound out of a twenty dollar horn. It's the type of horn you get for your nephew when he enters third grade and doesn't know what instrument he wants to play. It gives him a chance to play something and maybe learn a little responsibility before you get him a legitimate instrument. Even then I'd suggest hitting up a garage sale and looking for horns. Those are older and can cost a little more, but then it's at least a legit horn and you can haggle prices.

Xochi

Andy Ngo's #1 fan
kiwifarms.net
Even then I'd suggest hitting up a garage sale and looking for horns.
I don't even play the sax, but I do play synth, and I've seen more than enough very expensive gear in the hands of dipshits who trash it within months, hardly ever use it and then complain that it doesn't sound automatically amazing. You should pray Tom doesn't go to a garage sale and acquire a decent horn, because he'd clog up the internals with bits of ditch-weed and general gunk within minutes.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Only the poorest of craftsmen blame their tools. He should have used that Amazon credit money to purchase hygiene products. Can he not afford dentures or do the other bums pay more for a 'gummy' ?

• Agree
Reactions: TalmudSperg
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino