11/29: Sockness takes his ball and goes home - Tards out on Chris and refuses him permission to use his lore in the card game

Apteryx Owenii

formerly a jerkop, wants to avoid merge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even small copyright claims, if you can prove them valid, you can get a court to issue a ruling at least forcing the offender to quit violating your copyright...
Theoretically, sure, but the list of stars that would have to align to make anything like that happen here is long. Not only is the stuff Chris is talking about not copyrightable (he can't own a name) but imagine one of these speds trying to register a copyright or trademark and then actually initiate legal action coherent enough that it'll make it past a first glance by a judge (something tells me no lawyer would want to deal with this).

Best realistic scenario is one of them, probably spurred on by enablers, tries to DMCA the other or use some other bogus demand letter. Most likely scenario is just empty twitter demands. Sad.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Theoretically, sure, but the list of stars that would have to align to make anything like that happen here is long. Not only is the stuff Chris is talking about not copyrightable (he can't own a name) but imagine one of these speds trying to register a copyright or trademark and then actually initiate legal action coherent enough that it'll make it past a first glance by a judge (something tells me no lawyer would want to deal with this).
If you can afford the legal action, filing a copyright is not difficult. You can't copyright a name but nine times out of ten, that not what people mean when they say they're going to sue you for copyright infringement. If Chris says "ooh you violated the copyright on Sonichu", everyone (or at least the lawyer he hires) understands that that implicitly refers to the comic book series associated with the name.

Apteryx Owenii

formerly a jerkop, wants to avoid merge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you can afford the legal action, filing a copyright is not difficult. You can't copyright a name but nine times out of ten, that not what people mean when they say they're going to sue you for copyright infringement. If Chris says "ooh you violated the copyright on Sonichu", everyone (or at least the lawyer he hires) understands that that implicitly refers to the comic book series associated with the name.
They're specifically talking about "owning" the names and backstories of made-up characters though, I don't think Sockness has threatened to, say, duplicate Chris's stupid cards and start selling them.

(edit: And those legal action costs are a pretty big factor. How many practicing lawyers are going to take a case when one of these speds walks in, especially on contingency? Because I'm guessing neither tard has the cash available to pay upfront, to say nothing of their credit, for anything more than perhaps a DMCA on letterhead. I'm sure there are shyster copyright attorneys out there but since both of these guys are nearly judgement proof even they would be stupid to try and win a case)

Last edited:

Alex Krycek

russian bot
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This sockness saga is stupid. Sockness, I know you are reading this. You're a dumbass
At least Ben Saint managed to trigger him with the Sline shit and besides that he’s boring as hell. Sockness has literally only been horrifying or boring this entire fucking time and in all honesty I think he gets off on both.

Also fuck you Sarah and Steve.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They're specifically talking about "owning" the names and backstories of made-up characters though, I don't think Sockness has threatened to, say, duplicate Chris's stupid cards and start selling them.
That makes them derivative works.
(edit: And those legal action costs are a pretty big factor. How many practicing lawyers are going to take a case when one of these speds walks in, especially on contingency? Because I'm guessing neither tard has the cash available to pay upfront, to say nothing of their credit, for anything more than perhaps a DMCA on letterhead. I'm sure there are shyster copyright attorneys out there but since both of these guys are nearly judgement proof even they would be stupid to try and win a case)
Certainly, that's why I mentioned that sockness' access to Chris' printer being a limiting factor. Websites will roll over for DMCA requests but if Chris is just mailing them out from his house, sockness would have to actually lawyer up, which he certainly would not be able to afford.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino