1990s Political Correctness -

Sperghetti

#waxmymeatballs
kiwifarms.net
Late to the party here... I was young at the beginning of it, but there was a big emphasis on changing words and verbiage around, even for stuff that wasn't really offensive in the first place. Like making everyone's ethnicity hyphenated, or changing terms for disabilities and such. Hence where you get jokes like "I'm not short, I'm vertically challenged." (Fun fact: Deaf people actually hated the PC term "hearing impaired".)

As others have said, in kid-oriented media, you'd get stuff like having unrealistically diverse casts of characters: The lead might be white, but it was like you were required to have black character, one hispanic character, one generically asian, a girl, and somebody in a wheelchair. Things like math textbooks would use the same formula to incorporate more ethnic names: "Sarah and Julio have three apples..." And like @Ligoskj mentioned, there was a push to ban older media that was seen as racist, like certain Looney Toons shorts, or to censor versions of Tom Sawyer.

Corporate entities would also acknowledge Hanukkah and Kwanzaa (lol) alongside Christmas.

But the 90's kind of had a rebellious, edgy streak to it, too, and being "politically incorrect" was great for shock humor. South Park came into being in '97 and became wildly popular, and by the 00's, I remember seeing more pushback against banning or censoring media for its content.

All in all, the mainstream PC culture of the 90's was more like ham-fisted attempts to make everybody hold hands and sing Kumbaya, while trying to take anything from the past that might be construed as racist and memory hole it. The queer theory, racial grievance culture, and "all sex is rape" feminism all existed in the 90's (and even before), it was just contained within the more incestuous parts of academia where it rarely saw the light of day. Anybody who subscribed to that stuff was pretty much guaranteed to either be a professor who never had any job outside of their little corner academic world, or a student who was heading for that fate. It was only in the late 00's that it started to seep out into other areas (at least that I noticed), and by the mid-10's, it started going mainstream.

Last edited:

queerape

Gorilla gorilla goes Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
I’m surprised that the Rodney King Riots, OJ, and Larry Byrd weren’t mentioned yet. Rodney King was the start of the whole Fuck the Police going mainstream. It was the Furhman tapes where America decided nigger is actually a racist word.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Coleman Francis

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
the Burger King Kids Club is when I first really noticed political correctness as a kid, it just struck me as so artificial.
Lol it's hilarious that both of you bring that up because even as a young kid I remember noticing that they had carefully put each catagory into the group. You had a black girl, a cripple kid, a nerd, no fatties IIRC, but even Burger King being proto woke knew to have the white, blonde hair, blue eyed superman as the BK Kids Club leader.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

The Last Stand

13 - Joan Crawford Special
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But we also need to remember that the 90s had a fucking lot of crime. Like, a sixfold increase from before the 60s and about 50% higher than we have now "a lot". Almost every city was a giant no go zone thanks to massive, violent gangs that everybody pretended didn't exist. Hm. Sounds familiar.

Most people here, if they were even born yet, were probably like 4 years old in 1999. The MTV retrospectives and 9gag memes lied to you, kids. It may have been rad, even bitchin', but it was not peaceful.
Rose tinted glasses for nostalgia. As you mentioned, the 90s were looked at fondly at a time because in a societal standpoint, people got along.
People talking about the 90s like they were the bygone years of a utopian society need to settle down.
Things appear so bad now, that we, as a collective society, reminisce about times where things appear stable from our memories and childhood. I can understand why older adults harken back to the "good old days."

All the good parts about our youth or the time period, we should incorporate those into the present and future while learning what didn't work back then. We CAN do that, look at the 2000s as an example of that.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
People talking about the 90s like they were the bygone years of a utopian society need to settle down.

Yes, racial and political attitudes as a whole were infinitely better than the absolute garbage that is the modern zeitgeist. PC culture had very little power and was mostly benevolent. This is true, and I miss it. God do I miss it. Most of you probably don't remember a world where open racism wasn't not only practiced by the media and mega corporations, but rewarded. I do. One could say that in the 90s, it was okay to be white.

But we also need to remember that the 90s had a fucking lot of crime. Like, a sixfold increase from before the 60s and about 50% higher than we have now "a lot". Almost every city was a giant no go zone thanks to massive, violent gangs that everybody pretended didn't exist. Hm. Sounds familiar.

Most people here, if they were even born yet, were probably like 4 years old in 1999. The MTV retrospectives and 9gag memes lied to you, kids. It may have been rad, even bitchin', but it was not peaceful.
America has always been a very bifurcated place, so while some areas may have had a lot of crime, some areas really were close to utopian.

I do remember though as a kid, even though I live in a smallish town, you'd often at night time hear a "boom car" off in the distance, I still distinctly remember that "THOOM THOOM THOOM" sound, I think noise pollution laws have since been passed making that illegal.

Still, America's mainstream cultural attitudes were simply better back then and that's what people rightfully miss.

Lol it's hilarious that both of you bring that up because even as a young kid I remember noticing that they had carefully put each catagory into the group. You had a black girl, a cripple kid, a nerd, no fatties IIRC, but even Burger King being proto woke knew to have the white, blonde hair, blue eyed superman as the BK Kids Club leader.
This is a key difference between now and then, white males were always sure to be included as much as any token minority would be, nobody was trying to shun us completely like today.

I've never known an America that wasn't a diverse place and I accepted that, but it was only when people suddenly started getting a bug up their ass about wanting to exclude and vilify white men did I go "wait a minute"

Tags
None