2-5-20: Rebel Media's Bexte and Menzies Sue Yaniv -

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Captain Manning

Tears in the rain.
kiwifarms.net
Yaniv may try to say it was self defense and if they can't provide the entire start to finish, he may have a way out.
Can't see how. The Rebel reporter is pretty clearly retreating for like 95% of the altercation. Even if you grant Yaniv the first physical contact (shove, slap, punch, whatever), everything after that was objectively unreasonable.

Anyways, while Yaniv is a piece of shit, and the dude should get something, I think they're padding that 35k figure. Ezra is a piece of shit of a different stripe.

ProtonMailMan

Only Good Gov't Employee is Dead Gov't Employee.
kiwifarms.net
Can't see how. The Rebel reporter is pretty clearly retreating for like 95% of the altercation. Even if you grant Yaniv the first physical contact (shove, slap, punch, whatever), everything after that was objectively unreasonable.

Anyways, while Yaniv is a piece of shit, and the dude should get something, I think they're padding that 35k figure. Ezra is a piece of shit of a different stripe.
pieces of shit who are enemies of Pieces of Shit are my friends....

wabbits

kiwifarms.net
Forgive my ignorance...This is a civil case correct? & can be settled out of court?
Maybe to put JY in the position to yell uncle?
Yep, civil - small claims. Whatever the Crown does or does not do with a criminal assault charge for smacking Bexte at the courthouse is a totally separate matter.

Yep, can be settled out of court. In fact the official process pushes parties in that direction.

NerbertHobgobbler

kiwifarms.net
Heh, I was waiting for this.

On one hand it's a waste of time cos JY is fucking broke as shit, but on the other hand, this is more likely to go somewhere then the criminal case is.
I disagree. Not only was the assault captured by Keean's camera, there are also overhead surveillance cameras outside the Courthouse which would have captured the whole event and can be called in as evidence. I think a guilty verdict in this matter if it makes it to trial is highly likely.

oKTrooner

In Soviet Canuckistan, tranny punch you.
kiwifarms.net
While I doubt they will get $35k, the civil suit will impact JYs finances. In Alberta, a little guy with ShortMan Syndrom hit the camera of Sheila Gunn Reid of Rebel Media and the judge awarded her $3500 . She didn't claim injuries if I recall, and it was a quick hit and run, not a sustained cane-whacking or fusillade of punches like with Menzies and Bexte ( https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/judge-awards-rebel-media-staffer-3500-in-civil-suit-against-man-who-struck-camera-at-womens-march )

Even at a $3500 judgement for each, that's $7k of money that the flouncy gorilla doesn't have.

They'll likely get more, probably more in the $6-8k range, but let's just say the judgement is the same as the assault on Gunn-Reid. Then math time: $6k HRT ÷ 2 x $3.5k = $13,000 the courts will be demanding. That's a fuckload of Skip The Dishes deliveries

Apteryx Owenii

formerly a jerkop, wants to avoid merge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Claiming all those injuries from being (barely) hit by a giant slug... about the level as when someone gets rear-ended at 5mph and starts crying about their neck when they see that it was someone in a Mercedes that hit them.

I'm okay with it though, if Jonathan can try to scam thousands of dollars from hard-working immigrants under the guise of fake suffering let's see the tables turned a bit.

NerbertHobgobbler

kiwifarms.net
They'll likely get more, probably more in the $6-8k range, but let's just say the judgement is the same as the assault on Gunn-Reid. Then math time: $6k HRT ÷ 2 x $3.5k = $13,000 the courts will be demanding. That's a fuckload of Skip The Dishes deliveries
I doubt Skip the Dishes kept him as a delivery person after a little birdie had an online chat with their office....

Sookie

kiwifarms.net
I doubt Skip the Dishes kept him as a delivery person after a little birdie had an online chat with their office....
I'm sure there was more than one little birdie having that conversation with Skip. No one who lives in his area wants that freak delivering food to their door, not to mention the fact he would probably try to sue homeowners when he "tripped" on their property. I'm sure he was thinking of Skip as a new cash cow, but not for food deliveries.

Captain Manning

Tears in the rain.
kiwifarms.net
Heh, I was waiting for this.

On one hand it's a waste of time cos JY is fucking broke as shit, but on the other hand, this is more likely to go somewhere then the criminal case is.
His lack of finances will prove problematic when it comes time to collect, but he's still likely fucked in terms of having a judgement entered against him. I don't know how bankruptcy works in Maple land, but in the US it generally doesn't discharge tort judgements involving malicious injury.

Bottom line is that the disgusting fuck ought to be feeling more and more uncomfortable every day. As he should.

oKTrooner

In Soviet Canuckistan, tranny punch you.
kiwifarms.net
His lack of finances will prove problematic when it comes time to collect, but he's still likely fucked in terms of having a judgement entered against him. I don't know how bankruptcy works in Maple land, but in the US it generally doesn't discharge tort judgements involving malicious injury.

Bottom line is that the disgusting fuck ought to be feeling more and more uncomfortable every day. As he should.
Similar in most provinces IIRC. Bank0 won't stop death, taxes, or court judgements.

Norman B. Normal

I probably shouldn't be here.
kiwifarms.net
The four-page small claims court notice refers to "Jonathan Yaniv, also known as Jessica Yaniv"
That was dumb. If they come off as being motivated more by personal animus or anti-trans sentiment than by the injuries they suffered, it may make it harder for them to prevail. They should ask JY how well his own racism worked out for him at the BCHRT.

Tags
None