2019-02-17 - Roy Philipose: "DMCA TAKEDOWN" -

️ronic

Professional Nutjob Stalker
kiwifarms.net
From February 7th:

I suspect it's a remote possibility but if he tries anything I would love to see how he comes up for damages based on his free blog that isn't a registered copyright. That's without even taking fair use into consideration.
TBH when I saw this thread, I thought it was because of my book club. Strange that he went after the blog posts instead.

Reactions: BSV

gREEEEEEEEEr

kiwifarms.net
All of your own material is copyrighted by default. Actually going through the proper registration procedures is just one extra layer that establishes beyond any doubt that it is your copyright. As far as I know it's the same with trademarks and patents although a judge may be a lot more incisive if a company fails to register any of those as well. I'm not a lawyer but I'm fairly confident this is how things work.

If I write a book and you sell my unregistered book, I still have every right to sue you under copyright law.
No... you can only sue after you register the copyright, and if you wait until after someone's infringed before you register it, you can't sue them for statutory damages or attorney's fees. You can sue them for actual damages - that's it.

So, first you'd have to pay to register the work. Then, you'd have to pay for the lawsuit, all out of your own pocket. And then, if you won, other than the court telling them to stop infringing, all you'd get is the actual damages that you could prove that their infringement caused. The court wouldn't "teach them a lesson" by ordering them to pay you lots of money, and it wouldn't order them to pay your attorney's fees.

The only exception is if the work is still less than 3 months old. Then, you can register it and you get full protection.

Also, if the work is more than 5 years old, just registering a copyright isn't considered proof that you created it, so you'll also have to be able to supply evidence that you did.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The only exception is if the work is still less than 3 months old. Then, you can register it and you get full protection.
It's three months after the first publication. Also, it has to be prior to the commencement of the infringement.

My guess is he's probably trying to set up an infringement trap.

Kenya Jones

kiwifarms.net
"I have never been crazy in my entire life, but I have some rank, fuck amateurs who showcase me as some fruit cake."

This guy wants to take shit down from here, what a fruit cake move.

Reactions: Annie

Clem Fandango

Can you hear me?
kiwifarms.net
All of your own material is copyrighted by default. Actually going through the proper registration procedures is just one extra layer that establishes beyond any doubt that it is your copyright. As far as I know it's the same with trademarks and patents although a judge may be a lot more incisive if a company fails to register any of those as well. I'm not a lawyer but I'm fairly confident this is how things work.
No, you're right that copyright subsists automatically but patents and trademarks must be applied for and granted before you can sue someone for infringement.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino