2019-08-16 - 5 Years of Gamergate -

cawk mcnibbler69^%

kiwifarms.net
Gamergate is a huge mess if it still is going on. I'll just pirate my vidya that's not retro, online (things like Neopets more than Overwatch), or Nintendo.

UnclePhil

Deliberating from a screened-in porch.
kiwifarms.net
Okay, what is Gamergate specifically and why is it constantly brought up regularly?
Ah, GamerGate. Now therein lies a tale.

TLDR version: mistrust builds for years, con artist slag sucks a bunch of dicks behind boyfriend's back for her career, pressure blows up into a fight.

The LONG version (and I apologize in advance for this. I type fast.)

"Ethics in game journalism." That phrase is often used to mock GG in retrospect, but in truth, most of it WAS about journalism. The rest involved the gaming industry treating its actual customers like garbage.

Now, the argument Wu, Quinn, and the rest of their ilk make is that #GamerGate began with The Zoe Post, a long and damning blog post Eron Gjoni made against his ex-girlfriend, Zoe Quinn. He accused her of cheating on him with five journalists. Quinn's account files GG down to moronic simplicity: domestic abuser Eron posted a bunch of lies, and an existing wimmin hating guerilla army launched itself at Quinn like a DDoS attack. Then ???, profit, and Trump got elected.

This isn't true. #GamerGate actually has its roots about 15 years before The Zoe Post. Quinn was simply the catalyst and the final nail that got it started. It got leaked that game publishers were making backroom deals with the presses. This was back in the late '90s and early '00s. All the big review websites were fledgling and you still had actual print magazines on grocery store newsstands. With so many to pick from, the magazines that sold the most were the ones with the biggest cover stories. You bought the one with the 32 page pictorial of San Andreas or Final Fantasy Whatever. Every month the publishing houses raced to have the magazine with the EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW or FIRST EVER REVIEW.

The game companies went to these magazines and offered them a deal. They said, "You can have the exclusive coverage and your early copy. In exchange, we'd like for you to give the game a glowing sloppy blowjob review when it comes out." For the magazines that had two or three reviewers critiquing the same game, the companies agreed to a compromise. "One of you guys can be the stickler who says the graphics could be better or some of the sidequests aren't stellar, but we'd like for your final rating at the LOWEST to be maybe a 7.0."

So this came out, and it was a rather big scandal. It sowed the initial seeds of mistrust between gamers and the people paid to tell them whether software was worth buying. This was before YouTube non-shill talking heads and unpaid user scores. Software was as expensive then as it is now; those of us raised on the NES were going out into the working world with budgets to maintain. Now come to find out, the supposed gurus of your entertainment money have been lying.

It went on from there. The mistrust grew with other incidents. During the Hot Coffee scandal, Rockstar blamed the modding community before a hacker found the sex minigame in the PS2 version. Pressure built. Around 2014, enter the Social Justice Warriors. The SJWs vomited out of Occupy Wallstreet, onto social media and into various QA and human resources departments. They banged on the doors of comic books, movies television shows and various fandoms. The doors opened and they piled in, making changes the actual customers didn't ask for.

On the journalism side of things, SJW was the flavor of the month. The advertisers funding gaming websites asked these supposedly scrupulous journalists to get woke if they wanted to keep eating. Instead of taking a stand, they decided wokeness was better. We were still relying on them to tell is if these $60 AAA games were worth part of a paycheck. Now, pressured by the hands that fed them, instead of giving us honest opinions about how a game actually looked and played, the journos reported on too many problematic titties or a deficit in the game's overall number of black people.

Anita Sarkeesian posted her Kickstarter video for her stupid series. Some saboteurs from Reddit and the chans joined the discussion. She ran crying to the media. You know the rest of that story.

The whole thing was turning into a pretty gross and annoying situation. Gamers had paid mortgages worth of money over their lifetimes to an industry that didn't have any respect for them, blaming them for everything while relying on them to stay employed. The journalists, who reported on the industry and promoted sales of the games through their reviews, constantly reminded gamers they were pieces of shit for being straight white males who owned penises and sex drives.

In the midst of this, Zoe Quinn, a game 'developer' with a long history of swindling and sabotage, got positive coverage of her abysmal Twine game by orally servicing at least five male members to completion.

When the gamers demanded to know who this Zoe Quinn was and just how much of her vagina, mouth and anus had contributed to however many lies, the journalists turned against their user base. A series of articles now known as the 'Gamers are Dead' series sprouted as if out of nowhere in a short amount of time. In essence, "Gaming has problem with straight white men who harass innocent women like Sarkeesian and Quinn, you are pieces of dog shit for being straight and white. By the way, keep on reading! We don't exist without your support...you assholes!"

Thus, #GamerGate, its name coined by Jayne from Firefly. The gamers clashed with the presses, and along with it the feminists and usual suspect woke people. The woke screamed at the public in constant hit pieces. "You see? You see the problem with this cabal of evil basement dwelling XY people!?" Which in turn just fueled rage on the other side.

The gamers slung shit. The SJWs and journos slung shit back. The media ran rampant with coverage for ratings.

And the problem with slinging shit back and forth is that eventually, everything is covered in shit. You can't read anything for the brown, green, and mustard shit all over everything posted. None of it made sense anymore. To the outside spectators, it just looked like an unstoppable force and an immovable object screaming at each other. #GamerGate died with a whimper.

Now, to answer the question, "Why is it constantly brought up?" Well, you may notice that the 'gamers,' the actual consumers, almost never bring up #GamerGate. That's because they know it is dead and a done deal. It isn't worth talking about anymore. SJWs, who make up the majority of those same journalists who were on the other side of the war, dig up #GamerGate's maggot-ridden corpse whenever they need support for their cult. #GamerGate was the first time the doors didn't magically swing open for them. It is also 'responsible,' as the story goes, for radicalizing a bunch of men into joining the 'alt-right' and getting Trump elected. For the SJWs, it would seem like the straight white pig dog gamers won, and any day now the Nazis are gonna be goosestepping down your street to pull minorities and LGBTs out of their homes. The journos are mad at the internet because no one on the pro-GG side is imprisoned or starving on the street. Of course, most of the pro-GG side was made up of left-leaning people and moderates. Was there harassment and 'rape threats?' Yes, I'm sure. But for the most part, you had a bunch of people who just wanted to know why the people they kept fed treated them with such disdain.

The truth is that NOBODY won #GamerGate. You can imagine the aftermath as a battlefield covered in bodies and gore but no discernible outcome. Each side took with them spoils from the battlefield. The journos have a scapegoat they can keep pontificating over in 3,000 words or fewer. And for the gamers, the journos are now completely transparent. Because of #GamerGate, they are the most bottomfeeding, disrespected people in journalism. They all hold thankless jobs with no security and get fewer clicks every day.

Zoe Quinn, no matter how many white knights jump to her defense every time she makes money disappear, will always be known as that one girl who swallowed cum for coverage.

Last edited:

LordofCringe7206

What's that Plank? They're hiding in the library?
kiwifarms.net
It's sad that after five fucking years people are still milking an internet hashtag for all it's worth.

I honestly hope that one day this fucking thing will eventually die out, but I know it won't. Wu and other spergs will continue to throw it out any chance they get.

UnclePhil

kiwifarms.net
It's sad that after five fucking years people are still milking an internet hashtag for all it's worth.

I honestly hope that one day this fucking thing will eventually die out, but I know it won't. Wu and other spergs will continue to throw it out any chance they get.
Whether they admit it or not, #GamerGate was the best thing that could have happened to their careers. They would be completely irrelevant if it weren't for that.

UnclePhil

kiwifarms.net
You guys giving history lessons realise "what is gamergate????" is a Meme, right.
Damn. And after I blasted out all that autism, too.

Well, a history lesson that tells the truth, or at least what one knows of it anyway, should be warranted every so often—considering how frequent walls of complete lies pass for 'news' these days.

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
Okay, what is Gamergate specifically and why is it constantly brought up regularly?
A bunch of sluts and trannies flipped the fuck out and said they were being threatened with rape because a bunch of people treated them like they lost a game of Age of Empires on MSN Gameing Zone in 1997 and now you're not allowed to talk to people that way on the Internet anymore.

Wikipedia Scholar

kiwifarms.net
#GamerGate was the first time the doors didn't magically swing open for them.
you've provided thorough, accurate coverage here, but I'd like to develop this point. if you listen to the soy/sjw side, they make it sound like Gamergate was worse than AIDS, 9/11, and the Holocaust; more intense than Iwo Jima or Stalingrad; a crucible and a dark night of the soul. in reality, it was a grassroots activist movement opposed to the intrusion of Social Justice politics into gaming, as well as the blatant corruption and nepotism within gaming media. the goobergators, for the most part, relied upon legal and fair methods to pursue their goals (investigative journalism, memes, contacting advertisers, etc).

to me, the only explanation for this wildly disproportionate, unhinged response is that, for the targets of gamergate, this was the first time in their lives they faced actual adversity. until then, they were used to getting their way and having their egos stroked. then suddenly, there's a bunch of people calling them out, airing their dirty laundry, holding them to standards (instead of indulging them like children), and telling them that dreaded word, No. for most people with life experience, this doesn't seem like much, but to them, it shook them to the core. they're still living with PTSD caused by people being mean to them on the internet, I wish I was joking, but I'm not.

if you're looking for a convenient summary of the situation, PSA Sitch made a video a couple years ago which I'd recommend:

TrippinKahlua

1976-1991 he was fat.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gamer Gate is still one of the most useless things that has ever happened on the internet.

AND CAN WE PLEASE STOP ADDING "GATE" TO WORDS TO MAKE IT A SCANDAL? THAT WASNT THE POINT OF THE 1972 DNC HQ BREAK IN!

Tags
None