2019 Philippine Senate Elections - Another election where people not in the country get mad at people in said country and act like there's no hope for them

What will Duterte do next after this?

• Piss on a church

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Turn the Philippines into a Battle Royale

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Helicopter rides for druggies and commies

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Make Dear Feeder his waifu

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters

KiwiLedian

I place my anger firmly on other people
kiwifarms.net
It's that time of the year again with another election and another time for people who don't get their way to be extremely condescending to those who actually live in the country.

NY Times article (archived)

MANILA — Millions of Filipinos began voting Monday to choose half of the nation’s Senate in what is widely seen as a proxy battle between President Rodrigo Duterte and politicians opposed to his deadly war on drugs.
Just hours after polls opened at 6 a.m., the police reported scattered incidents of violence and voter intimidation. On Sunday night, the eve of voting, two explosions hit town halls in the southern province of Maguindanao, where warlords have traditionally vied for control. There were no reported casualties.
Nearly 300,000 police officers and members of the armed forces have been deployed nationwide to prevent violence, with the national police reporting that at least 20 people had been killed and 24 injured in election-related attacks in the weeks running up to the voting.
Mr. Duterte was expected to vote in his hometown, Davao City, on Monday afternoon. He spent the last few days campaigning for Senate candidates supportive of his agenda, vowing to push forward with an antidrug crackdown that has left thousands dead.
At one of his last campaign stops on Friday, he took aim at what he characterized as a political elite that wants him out because he is an outsider, and he rebuffed criticism of his antidrug crackdown.
“I’m not the one who gives orders,” he said in countering accusations that he is the force behind the extrajudicial killings of drug suspects. “I would just tell you to arrest them and if they don’t surrender, kill them. But arrest them all and destroy the organization of drugs.”

Campaign posters in Quezon City on Sunday. At least 20 people have been killed in election-related attacks in run-up to the election.CreditEzra Acayan/Getty Images
Analysts say Mr. Duterte is not pulling any punches for Monday’s elections, and wants to fill the 12 seats up for grabs in the 24-member Senate with allies who will not hinder his legislative agenda. Chief among his goals is revising the country’s Constitution to effectively lift term limits. He is also backing legislation to lower the age of criminal liability of child offenders as well as bring back the death penalty for some serious crimes.
The Senate is seen as one of the last bulwarks against his increasingly authoritarian rule, but with the opposition struggling, his foes fear that Monday’s voting will help him consolidate his power and push through his agenda.
Ramon Casiple, head of the Institute for Political and Electoral Reform, said a victory by Mr. Duterte’s allies on Monday “would spell a continuity of his political agenda and strengthening of his hold on power.”
He said the candidacies of key Duterte allies, including his one-time personal aide, Bong Go, and Ronald dela Rosa, the police chief, could be propelled by Mr. Duterte’s popularity, noting that various surveys have said that a majority of the country’s population still backed the president and turned a blind eye on the excesses of his drugs crackdown.
“That Duterte continues to enjoy an unprecedented 80 percent popularity after three years speaks of his understanding of the reality on the ground, specifically of the yearning of the vast sections of the poor,” Mr. Casiple said.
Monday elections are taking place at the midpoint of Mr. Duterte’s six-year term. And unlike the House of Representatives, which has supported Mr. Duterte’s war on drugs and other policies, the Senate has been seen as more independent. Six members of the opposition are in the minority bloc, while the rest are allied with the president.
The opposition has already been weakened, with one member, Senator Leila de Lima, in jail for what she says are trumped-up charges, and another critic, Antonio Trillanes, not seeking re-election.
Meanwhile, the nation’s police chief, Oscar Albayalde, cited widespread reports of cheating.
“We are seeing a massive increase in vote buying,” he said, adding that since voting began Monday, more than 230 people had been arrested.
While it's not a big presidential election, it's actually only for about half the Philippine Senate, people on Twitter are acting like the Philippines have chosen to sink their own island and treating their voting with disdain.
Here's a nice example of how people are reacting:

People very happy with the voting behavior as seen. If you want to see more of it, this trending tag is the way to go.

Of the votes, currently this is a good idea of what it looks like:

Nacionalista are the old, conservative party while the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino is the party that Duterte is a part of. As it can be seen, Filipino's are mostly voting for right wing candidates, which shows that despite what the media and people on social media want to think, Filipino's would rather keep up the right wing charge. And left wingers round the world are now holding tantrums because of it and the fact that Filipinos are refusing to accept their conditioning that they know better than them about their own country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clop

kiwifarms.net
Recommend any and all smug armchair politicians to visit the southern parts of the Philippines and then give their opinion on why the Philippines prefer nationalism.

Yes, that's kebab territory.

No, visitors aren't likely coming back to armchair-politicize.

Feline Darkmage

Queen Tank, the Vice Signaler
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So they have a Marcos in there. Let's hope she doesn't cancel any popular animes like her father did:
When I saw the thread title I thought you were OP tbh.

I would have also pinged you if you didn't already post this fun tidbit of information. It was funny and good.

Krimjob

kiwifarms.net
There are few things that bother me as much as this shit. I mean I get outsiders having opinions on elections in superpowers, as these countries and their decisions will have an effect on other countries.

But in this case it's literally the Philippines. It's a nice country and all, but nothing they do will effect the outside world in any larger manner. Americans won't suddenly have less or more money, lose rights or anything.

From the looks of the Twitter feed it literally looks like a bunch of lefties with a clear case of Superiority complex.

Relevant:

break these cuffs

hit the three wheel motion
kiwifarms.net
There are few things that bother me as much as this shit. I mean I get outsiders having opinions on elections in superpowers, as these countries and their decisions will have an effect on other countries.

But in this case it's literally the Philippines. It's a nice country and all, but nothing they do will effect the outside world in any larger manner. Americans won't suddenly have less or more money, lose rights or anything.

From the looks of the Twitter feed it literally looks like a bunch of lefties with a clear case of Superiority complex.

Relevant:
View attachment 757347
The Philippines is quite important in terms of geopolitics and regional hegemony. China has been trying to get it's grubby mitts in control of the entire South China Sea for decades. The Philippines is a strategic partner to the US in limiting Chinese expansion. I don't know whether there is any real threat of Filipino politicians ditching the US and cozying up to China, but it would be incredibly disruptive if they did.

Krimjob

kiwifarms.net
The Philippines is quite important in terms of geopolitics and regional hegemony. China has been trying to get it's grubby mitts in control of the entire South China Sea for decades. The Philippines is a strategic partner to the US in limiting Chinese expansion. I don't know whether there is any real threat of Filipino politicians ditching the US and cozying up to China, but it would be incredibly disruptive if they did.
I could buy that, but I don't see that mentioned by the ones that complain. That would however be a point that I'd get if people in nearby countries made. After all, China does have an impact on most of the countries in the region.

Dr. Tran

A man of action
kiwifarms.net
I'll be honest and say that from what I can see, voting is kinda pointless here. Everyone up in the top is super corrupt, and the majority of the populace is too apathetic or stupid to give a shit about it. Like politicians are pretty openly corrupt here to the point of absurdity at times. For example, like just yesterday the mayor of one of the cities here just got arrested for vote buying. And he's gonna get off with a technicality, I guarantee that.

If Americans think their politics are a joke, our feels like it's been clowns world since I was alive.

Eryngium

kiwifarms.net
It's almost like people are trying to elect a homicidal psychopath who hates homicidal psychopaths instead of a pacifist in a country plagued by homicidal psychopaths.

Angrybirdsfan

kiwifarms.net
You know, theres also other countries that are having loads of drama, take afghanistan for example, due to the constant terrorist wars.

Even theres now drama in the phillipines again. (Which is country I was born in)

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
You know, theres also other countries that are having loads of drama, take afghanistan for example, due to the constant terrorist wars.

Even theres now drama in the phillipines again. (Which is country I was born in)
It’s nothing new or special. If you’ve been in Manila during elections it’s packed with lots of vehicles with campaign causing more traffic then there already is. Traffic in Manila at noon is a nightmare, these campaigns don’t make em better.

JosephTX

Texas Penal Code Section 9.42(b) Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
My wife was disappointed she didn't register to vote this year, because apparently in Pangasinan the candidates give out $120 and free alcohol to get people to vote for them there.

Staffy

kiwifarms.net
Tbf most of these candidates are slimy af, one of them has fake credentials and diplomas (Imee), one created a tax ruling called TRAIN and it made most stuff a bit more expensive and it's hated (Sonny, and he knows TRAIN is hated and he hides it). Lastly a celebrity that was arrested for plunder is now back in action (Revilla).

These people got in thanks to their names and their celebrity status, so these leftists could be right for once.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino