2020-01-10 - It’s about damn time! -

nets_awesome

Blocked from who? Everyone.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hi,

Great news! FINALLY, there is a movement happening to unionize video game and tech workers!

I have been advocating for this for a long time, and I appreciate the Communication Workers of America for stepping up and working to make it happen. In Congress, I will fight for union workers and for those who want to unionize by protecting collective bargaining rights and working against union busting efforts!

Help me get to Congress to fight for unions!

I've been a software engineer and a game developer for many years, so I've seen how workers can be exploited by the industry with no union protection. They are truly overworked and underpaid. And with tech being one of the fastest growing industries in the nation, unionization of its workers is long overdue.

Even BEFORE I get to Congress, I will do all I can to help CWA's efforts to unionize tech workers, but when I get to Congress, I can do so much more.

Help me get there by making a donation today!

And please follow me on Twitter @briannawu for updates if you haven't already! We're almost at 100,000 followers, and it helps to get our message out!

Last edited:

Coffee Shits

Hardcore
kiwifarms.net
The funniest part of this to me is how Wu reuses the same Twitter account for anti-Trump whining and old video game spergery. No faster way to get your voters to write you off as a dumb shut-in millenial.

By the way you might want to sanitize that Twitter link as it goes through a link tracking service.

Angry Shoes

Red Wire: Right Temple, Black Wire: Left Temple
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What would be the benefit of unionizing one of the highest paid and most sought-after workers in America? Tech workers benefit from free-market competition and would be hurt by extra bureaucracy and regulation. Yes, video game developers usually work like slaves but if you have the skills to be a game dev you can probably take those skills anywhere else and make just as much money (if not more) while not working 80 hour weeks.

Like everything else about Wu's political career this seems completely misguided. Most companies that don't revolve around Tech and just need it as a means to an end would already rather hire Indian Java slaves rather than American workers. Forcing them to pay an American tech union worker a higher wage would only make competition on the other side of the world seem more cost-effective than it already is.

Last edited:

RemoveKebab

Ssssshhhhh I said ssssshhhhhhh. Tee Hee!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This sounds like an Ironclad plan.

The "journalists" that work at the woke digital media companies unionized despite the owners of the company explaining they don't have the margins to meet union demands so a lot of "journalists" got laid off last year because they were too stupid to realize money is a finite resource.

If this does actually happen, I eagerly anticipate loads of developers crying that they got laid off.

But at least they already learned to code.

Thracian

kiwifarms.net
>I've been a software engineer and a game developer for many years
WTF, what did he do all those years besides that revolution 69 shite?
>so I've seen how workers can be exploited by the industry with no union protection.
What did he mean by this, that he exploited his employees?

Reactions: Coleman Francis

JP's_Canadian_Cider

kiwifarms.net
As much as video game devs get treated like shit Im not sure unionization is the way to go. Margins are thin on big vidya development that it might not be able to take it.

Also its funny that she talks about exploitation when she was the one doing the exploiting.
Nothing is ever black and white in something as complicated as economy, but unions would probably be very good for IT-workers. It would make the ceiling for entry a bit higher, but it should give newcomers a better salary and job security. Margins shouldn't really matter that much. There is no way unions would lead to high enough personell costs to break the video game business. Just compare them to the movie industry, which is riddled with unions.

Tags
None