Law 2020 Democrats Warm to Mandatory Buybacks of Assault Weapons -

Bad_Guys_are_Good4EVER

Join the Demon Corps
kiwifarms.net
2020 Democrats Warm to Mandatory Buybacks of Assault Weapons
2020 Democrats Warm to Mandatory Buybacks of Assault Weapons
Sahil Kapur

(Bloomberg) -- As mass shootings pile up, several Democratic presidential candidates are embracing mandated “buybacks” of assault weapons, a proposal that sharpens the political divide on guns and raises the stakes for the 2020 election.
Kamala Harris holding a sign: Presidential Candidates Attend New Hampshire Democratic Party Convention
© Photographer: Scott Eisen/Getty Images North America Presidential Candidates Attend New Hampshire Democratic Party Convention
In New Hampshire on Friday, Senator Kamala Harris of California told reporters that requiring owners of assault weapons to sell them to the government is “a good idea” because “we have to take those guns off the streets.”
New Jersey Senator Cory Booker said he supports the proposal. He noted that other countries have been able to take military-style semiautomatic weapons “off the streets” and that the U.S. can’t let the National Rifle Association “tell us what’s possible.”
At the New Hampshire Democratic convention on Saturday, former Representative Beto O’Rourke, who’s made buybacks a signature issue in recent weeks, pressed the idea to a cheering crowd that reflected the growing enthusiasm in the party for controlling firearm ownership. He said measures like universal background checks and “red flag” laws, which his 2020 competitors unanimously support, aren’t enough.
‘Politically Difficult’
a close up of a gun: Chief Justice Refuses to Block New Ban on Rifle Bump Stocks

© Photographer: George Frey/Getty Images Chief Justice Refuses to Block New Ban on Rifle Bump Stocks

“We must go the necessary steps further, as politically difficult as they may be -- a gun registry in this country, licensing for every firearm, and every single one of those AR-15 and AK-47s will be bought back so they’re not on our streets,” O’Rourke said.

The Democrats’ embrace of a forced assault-weapons buyback program shows that segments of the party are throwing caution to the wind on gun control, backing aggressive measures that seemed unthinkable in mainstream circles even a year ago. It comes as the mounting bloodshed from firearms-induced massacres has nudged Americans to favor stricter laws, propelled by a shift among suburban and college-educated voters.
El Paso
Democrats’ shift toward gun control comes after its candidates have been largely wiped out in rural areas with a rich gun culture. The party retook the House majority in 2018 midterm elections, driven by gains in affluent and suburban districts. Its previous reliance on rural parts of the country is one reason Democrats didn’t pursue firearm restrictions when they last controlled the White House and Congress in 2009 and 2010.
O’Rourke took up the cause vigorously after a recent mass shooting that killed more than 20 people in his hometown of El Paso, Texas. Before him, U.S. Representative Eric Swalwell of California pushed the idea of mandatory assault weapon buybacks during his short-lived presidential campaign.
a man wearing a suit and tie: Presidential Candidates Attend New Hampshire Democratic Party Convention
© 07: Democratic presidential candidate, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-TX) speaks during the New Hampsh... Presidential Candidates Attend New Hampshire Democratic Party Convention
Implementing such a program would be a challenge. Swalwell floated jail time for Americans who refuse to sell their weapons, but O’Rourke wouldn’t go that far.
“I would expect Americans to comply with the law,” O’Rourke told reporters on Saturday, saying he has met with owners of AR-15-style weapons who say they would “gladly comply” with a requirement that they give up those guns if it’ll make Americans safer.
O’Rourke said it’s “a great sign” that some of his rivals are coming out for a mandatory buyback of certain guns.
A Quinnipiac poll released Aug. 29 found that 46% of Americans favored a “mandatory buyback of assault weapons, which would mean that people who own assault weapons would be required to turn them in and be compensated with money,” while 49% opposed the idea. In a sharp partisan divide, 71% of Democrats said they support the idea while just 18% of Republicans backed it.

Conservative Pushback
The idea has sparked fierce pushback from conservatives who say it would amount to unconstitutional confiscation of firearms from Americans who obtained them lawfully. It stands no immediate chance of becoming law -- but nor do even modest restrictions, which face opposition from President Donald Trump and the Republican Party.
Several Democratic front-runners have also resisted the idea, including former Vice President Joe Biden and Senators Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, who instead favor a voluntary buyback program. Former Housing Secretary Julian Castro said he “at least” supports a voluntary buyback program and is open to making it mandatory.
“I’m willing to hear the arguments on mandatory, but I at least support a voluntary buyback program,” Castro told reporters on Saturday.
‘Big Enough Lift’
Pete Buttigieg said his immediate focus is on assault weapons.
“I would focus on banning new sales. We’ve got a big enough lift there. Plus we’ve got to do background checks and red flag laws,” the South Bend, Indiana, mayor told reporters. “Then we’ll see what the next logical steps are for this country.”
Michael Bloomberg, owner of Bloomberg LP, the parent company of Bloomberg News, founded and helps fund Everytown for Gun Safety, a nonprofit group that advocates for gun control measures like universal background checks and red flag laws. The group hasn’t called for mandatory buybacks.
Booker, from Newark, New Jersey, spoke of gun control in searingly personal terms and said the U.S. needs a president who’ll make it “a central purpose.”
“The majority of people being killed in this country are in communities like mine -- African American males are the majority of the homicide victims,” he said. “I live in a community where we see shrines to children who have been murdered on our sidewalks.”
Booker said firearm restrictions previously decried as radical have grown in popularity because “most Americans believe in common sense gun safety.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Sahil Kapur in Washington at skapur39@bloomberg.net
To contact the editors responsible for this story: Wendy Benjaminson at wbenjaminson@bloomberg.net, Ros Krasny, Steve Geimann
For more articles like this, please visit us at
bloomberg.com
©2019 Bloomberg L.P.
I love it! I really love it when Democrats basically states that the second amendment is "outdated" and that the only guns we are suppose to have are gunpowder rifles. I mean, could the Dems scream out "WE HATE THE SECOND AMENDMENT AND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES" any louder? I mean, they've been after our guns for years, cause and unarmed populace is more easier to control than an armed one. Then after their precious Hillary lost the 2016 election they want to get rid of the Electoral College, just so that the more populated states, that are ironically super Democratic, I.e California, New York. So, now they have this bogus poll that states that 46% of Americans support the gun buyback.

Again, I have no idea where any of these so called "polls" are located at. I don't even know when they had this poll. It'll be a huge error on my part for me to say that the Democrats don't know the second amendment. Cause they do. Which is why a gun buyback is wholly unconstitutional cause we all have the right to self defense. And why would we get rid of guns? All because a small, very small, percentage of people go nuts and murder people? And because of that the government has a right to say, "Sorry, but you guys clearly can't handle firearms very well, so we'll just take all of your guys." Sorry, no. I don't buy that at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

Cata-mount dat ass.
kiwifarms.net
I did a small search on google for assault weapons. The Wikipedia page has a picture of an AR-15 right on the front, which is (comically) not actually considered an assault weapon.

How fucking dumb do you have to be?
There's no such fucking thing as an assault weapon. There is, as far as I know, absolutely no designation under the ATF's already-convoluted and stupid classification rules called "assault weapon". Anyone who says "assault weapon" is a fucking mongoloid who hasn't fired anything bigger than a pellet gun.

Y

YW 525

kiwifarms.net
New Jersey Senator Cory Booker said he supports the proposal. He noted that other countries have been able to take military-style semiautomatic weapons “off the streets” and that the U.S. can’t let the National Rifle Association “tell us what’s possible.”
Alright, fuck the NRA. Let's just ignore them then since that's the game we're playing now.

Go ask the Second Amendment Foundation. Go ask the National Shooting Sports Foundation. Go ask Gun Owners of America. Go fucking ask the National Association for Gun Rights. Or go to any one of the dozens of local gun clubs near you.

Go ask any one of these other groups if the NRA are too exceptional for your tastes.

The Democrats’ embrace of a forced assault-weapons buyback program shows that segments of the party are throwing caution to the wind on gun control, backing aggressive measures that seemed unthinkable in mainstream circles even a year ago.
This is the "America's institutions are founded in racism and bigotry" wing of the Democrats and this is the cancer. These people don't seem to care about demolishing a system that has elevated nearly 400,000,000 people on the North American continent to king-like lifestyles. As if you can just recreate a system like the United States has with the snap of a finger during a civil war. Democrats used to tell me how horrifying it was to them that Trump wanted to "tear down the system"... what the fucking hell happened?

Rand /pol/

Free @Corrugated Daffodils
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love it! I really love it when Democrats basically states that the second amendment is "outdated" and that the only guns we are suppose to have are gunpowder rifles
Sweaty, the constitution was written centuries ago, and being able to change the constitution is literally one of the key components of the constitution. Just because something was a good thing at the time doesn't mean it is now.
I did a small search on google for assault weapons. The Wikipedia page has a picture of an AR-15 right on the front, which is (comically) not actually considered an assault weapon.

How fucking dumb do you have to be?
Assault weapon is a term used in the United States to define some types of firearms. The definition varies among regulating jurisdictions but usually includes semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine, a pistol grip and sometimes other features such as a vertical forward grip, flash suppressor or barrel shroud.
Assault weapons aren't considered the same thingas assault rifles megamind.

Duke Nukem

Dimensional Merge Welcoming Party #1218C197
kiwifarms.net
Late January 2020: Newly-inaugurated Democratic President Niggerfaggot Supreme mandates massive gun buyback programs and other horseshit via EO

Early February 2020: Mysterious rash of boating accidents involving firearms being forever lost to the depths.
Lol, fast forward a year later. Other than that, it's not like their chances of taking anything are too high.

They claim to be doing this to protect us.

Incorrect. They are doing this to conquer us. And of course the rest of the Bill of Rights will soon follow.

On the up side, the branch of the party doing this is going to end up killing it's host with this bullshit unless we get really unlucky. I doubt it will come to pass in the next few years though.

A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
I swear any time you guys post anything to do with Dems and gun control, you guys lose your shit. I have no reason to not believe OP is just baiting at this point.

I don't think the Dems are going to get your guns taken away, as long as a little thing called the Republican Party exists. Hell, as long as any opposition party exists, it's not going to happen. It's unpopular opinion, but I think the incessant screeching about the government taking away guns from anyone is a little exceptional. Would you want someone who's likely to commit a mass murder to have a gun? No? Ok then.

Duke Nukem

Dimensional Merge Welcoming Party #1218C197
kiwifarms.net
I swear any time you guys post anything to do with Dems and gun control, you guys lose your shit. I have no reason to not believe OP is just baiting at this point.

I don't think the Dems are going to get your guns taken away, as long as a little thing called the Republican Party exists. Hell, as long as any opposition party exists, it's not going to happen. It's unpopular opinion, but I think the incessant screeching about the government taking away guns from anyone is a little exceptional. Would you want someone who's likely to commit a mass murder to have a gun? No? Ok then.
Don't worry dude, it's got Beta O'Dork's name on it so I believe we are safe. For now.

;)

Personally, I'm just laughing my ass off at our would-be conquerors and how completely out of touch with reality, and, perhaps, much else as well. Unfortunately a lot of unconstitutional bullshit manages to get out there (from BOTH parties, mind you) but I'm pretty sure this boat's gonna be hit and sunk before the sun is set.

moocow

Moo.
kiwifarms.net
Late January 2020: Newly-inaugurated Democratic President Niggerfaggot Supreme mandates massive gun buyback programs and other horseshit via EO

Early February 2020: Mysterious rash of boating accidents involving firearms being forever lost to the depths.
Late February 2020: National State of Emergency declared as Chicago descends into chaos and goes dark after mayor and surrenders to the south side gangs and transfers full control of the city. Los Angeles feared next as MS-13's siege of city hall enters fifth day.

Early March 2020: President Niggerfaggot Supreme awards Congressional Medal of Honor to militia members who rescued him from kidnappers during the Second LA Massacre, apologizes for gun buyback program, signs Executive Order rescinding previous EO and removing all federal firearms purchase restrictions, announces electricity has been restored to most of Chicago and will be restored in Los Angeles within "a few weeks."

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sweaty, the constitution was written centuries ago, and being able to change the constitution is literally one of the key components of the constitution. Just because something was a good thing at the time doesn't mean it is now.
They're not changing it through the correct pathways, are they?
Assault weapons aren't considered the same thingas assault rifles megamind.
It's a term used by a particular group of people regarding any gun that looks scary. No firearms expert uses it, the military doesn't use it.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino