2020 Marks The Start Of Our Orwellian Dystopia -

Sans Fish Man

kiwifarms.net
Don't forget #4 internet censorship
#5 mandatory vaccination
#6 mark of the beast
#7 being farmed for your adrenochrome
#8 your declining mental health as you descend ever into deeper conspiracy theories

Best year ever.
OH SHIT NOT THE MARK OF THE BEAST! QUICK GET JESUS!

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid, I thought the future (read: this new 21st century) would become like the Jetsons IRL. In other words, the "20th century mentality", but with better transportation and more comfy living. No identity politics or social media - but instead moon colonies, flying cars, and manned missions to Jupiter. People would've had about the same level of freedom and privacy.
My favorite vision of the future as a kid was Back To The Future 2, which wasn't a perfect utopia but had a lot of cool stuff and was getting along well enough.

That's all I wanted from the future, I wasn't expecting perfection, but I was hoping it'd be cool at least.

Even Blade Runner is preferable to what we have now because while things were pretty rough in Blade Runner, dystopian in it's own way, it was at least cool, it was at least glamorous.

In fact that's the whole vibe of the Cyberpunk genre in general, it's a dark future, but a glamorous one and that counts for something.

Instead what we get in 2020 is all of the dystopia but none of the glamour.

Syaoran Li

Subscribes to Soldier Of Fortune
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure that we're careering into something resembling Brave New World more than anything else. Gimmie that delicious soma.
Pretty much.

Honestly, I think the Orwell book that's most relevant to "Current Year" is Animal Farm more than anything else.

The dystopia of the future is basically shaping up to be an utterly horrifying combination of Brave New World, Demolition Man, and Animal Farm.

As cringe and fedora-tier autistic as this might sound, I'd also say Idiocracy was at least partly prescient on a few things as well, except the "dumb sped future" is probably going to be more pseudo-intellectual college hipsters/bugmen and dangerhairs as opposed to the outright anti-intellectual dudebros and rednecks/hood rats depiction of Idiocracy.

Instead of "you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded", it's now more like "you talk like a fash and your shit's all problematic"

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid, I thought the future (read: this new 21st century) would become like the Jetsons IRL. In other words, the "20th century mentality", but with better transportation and more comfy living. No identity politics or social media - but instead moon colonies, flying cars, and manned missions to Jupiter. People would've had about the same level of freedom and privacy.
Me too. As a kid I thought we’d have clean energy, space flight and wondrous gadget. In reality It’s more like the bastard child of blade runner and farenheit451.
I read a ton of sci fi as a kid and a lot of it seems quite prescient . Probably because good sci fi is as much about commentary on the now and the what if as it is about rockets.
Social media is one thing I did not see coming. Arthur c. Clarke, William Gibson and many others predicted how connected to some kind of information web we would be, but the lack of privacy and the weird monster that is social media? That took me by surprise. I loathe it. It’s done more harm to humanity...

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
what we get in 2020 is all of the dystopia but none of the glamour.
It may be cynical, but it seems this shitty world tends to be suffering and tedious routine over glamour and adventure.

I loathe it. It’s done more harm to humanity...
Same here. I never hopped on the social media bandwagon (I remember Myspace as a big fad, and when Facebook was a college only thing). I had no idea they would help turn the world into the seemingly endless Clown World of today. It also sucks how not having social media is a "red flag" nowadays - when back then, the prevailing wisdom was "don't dox yourself". I feel like I'm a time traveler from the Web 1.0 days...

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I always knew that shit was bad news.
I thought YouTube was annoying when it launched for some reason.

I think that was before the "partner program" launched, creating a horde of attention whores hoping to become "famous YouTubers".

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It also sucks how not having social media is a "red flag" nowadays -
Id keep a very bland fb with ‘here’s the cat doing something cute/ oh look the allotment is nice this year’ type activity, Satisfies the ‘has social media’ tick box, is useful for keeping in touch with family and keep it as bland as bland can possibly be. Don’t like or comment on anything political, social or more controversial than the weather.

The biggest dystopic thing for me is the way I can’t even say what I think. My views are really reasonable. I’m central politically. I’m not racist. But I can’t say what I think, i can’t even hint at what I think. The last ten years have been an accelerating decline into the most terrible social constraint in some ways (inability to critique the prevailing climate) and lack of restraint in others (fetishes now openly celebrated.) it’s incredibly troubling, and we still have no fusion, space elevators or hoverboards.

Papa Adolfo's Take'n'Bake

It's screamin' good.
kiwifarms.net
It may be cynical, but it seems this shitty world tends to be suffering and tedious routine over glamour and adventure.

Same here. I never hopped on the social media bandwagon (I remember Myspace as a big fad, and when Facebook was a college only thing). I had no idea they would help turn the world into the seemingly endless Clown World of today. It also sucks how not having social media is a "red flag" nowadays - when back then, the prevailing wisdom was "don't dox yourself". I feel like I'm a time traveler from the Web 1.0 days...
I'm missing a play here, in what context is not having a social media presence a "red flag"? Even in corporate hiring they seem to give less than a shit if you do or don't even have a LinkedIn.

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm missing a play here, in what context is not having a social media presence a "red flag"? Even in corporate hiring they seem to give less than a shit if you do or don't even have a LinkedIn.
There have been instances where people have been rejected for no presence. It’s seen as weird and a red flag - either the person has no Sm and this is ‘abnormal’ or is hiding sm in which case they’re suspect.
The idea that one might not want ones life plastered out in the public Domain seems alien to some people. I’m sure someone else will be able to point to a source case - I do t have one to hand

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Protip: go back to any point in the past and it's like that too.
Even the times that you thought were better.
The past had more glamour though, the art deco and other styles of the 1930s through 1950s get me rock hard.

What I would give to hang out in some 1940s era nightclub and maybe bed a dame or two.

This is one thing the modern world is lacking is aesthetics, everything's "minimalist" now, the modern Apple computer aesthetic, so bland, so boring.

Even the early 2000s had a nice aesthetic compared to now, the lack of aesthetics is a reflection of how soulless and empty headed people are becoming.

Tags
None