Money 3/14 - Selling Cole Smithey's vintage comics

• ATTN NEW USERS: I strongly suggest using a real, alter-ego email address from a reputable provider and using a Password Manager to securely keep tack of it. If you forget your email and password I cannot restore your account. These are good practices in general so stop being lazy.

Angel Bob

kiwifarms.net
Considering Cole's age and tastes, he could have some books that go for a decent amount, like the first appearances of Nightwing, Deathstroke and Jason Todd. None of these are number ones, so don't expect Chris to realize it if Cole did leave them.
If Chris waited until next year to sell Shazam #1, he'd get at least what he's asking for it, since Shazam will have a movie then. As it is, anyone who isn't super into comics or under 75 won't know who he is.

I like how threads involving Chris's (relatively) normal half-brother are more active than threads about just Chris.

I think people love to see Chris interact with (relatively) normal people, but sadly its not going to happen this time because Cole's long learned you don't engage crazy. Rednecks can't comprehend money and easily replaceable junk isn't the most important thing in the world to normal people and this stunt has Barb written all over it.

Edit: I doubt Cole had any attachment to these or even assumes they're still around, you don't leave anything that has value, sentimental or monitory, with a person like Barb because that shit will disappear or get trashed.

Last edited:

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Edit: I doubt Cole had any attachment to these or even assumes they're still around, you don't leave anything that has value, sentimental or monitory, with a person like Barb because that shit will disappear or get trashed.
Worse, it could be used against you, like what Barb could be doing now with the comics.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
In all fairness the time elapsed and the verbal assertion that he doesn't care about the stuff any more means that legally (at least in the UK) Cole is deemed to have abandoned the property and since the abandoned property is on Chris and Barbs land they are perfectly within their rights to sell it. That aside it's a fairly transparent attempt to wind up Cole.

Phil Ken Sebben

The Potato Whisperer.
kiwifarms.net
I feel the same way about video game reviews too. I can remember a few years ago when The Last of Us came out on the PS3, and some idiot at Gamespot gave the game an average "7" score and everyone in the comments were sperging out since they were convinced that Gamespot's "journalists" were secretly on Microsoft's payroll for giving a Sony game a mediocre score.

That's because when you hate something but love something else it means that somebody must be paying you off because a bunch of folk can't understand how anybody could dislike something that they like.

It's like the Marvel movies are generally well received by critics but the DC movies are generally panned. This leads the legions of DC fanboys to say that the critics have been paid off by Disney. In their minds it's simply not possible for somebody to not love one of these movies so it must be that evil Disney corporation buying all the critics in giving their movies a good rating and all the DC movies a bad one.

Considering Cole's age and tastes, he could have some books that go for a decent amount, like the first appearances of Nightwing, Deathstroke and Jason Todd. None of these are number ones, so don't expect Chris to realize it if Cole did leave them.
If Chris waited until next year to sell Shazam #1, he'd get at least what he's asking for it, since Shazam will have a movie then. As it is, anyone who isn't super into comics or under 75 won't know who he is.

I don't think he's got any of those as they appear to be mostly from the 70's. The ones you've mentioned are from the 80's and 90's. I doubt Cole was still collecting comics during that time.

And the only people spending $40 for a copy of Shazam #1 are people who a) want a piece of Christory or b) have no idea they can get it cheaper elsewhere.

nvrwastetree

Identifies as an attack helicopter
kiwifarms.net
I'll only pay for that if it's on a power-of-attorney grant. Not like it would be worth anything monetarily, but boy the entertainment that could be had...

I've always wondered, if someone mailed Barb or Chris a letter about granting per of attorney, would they be smart enough to read it, or would they just sign it thinking they would end up getting money out of it??

Shiversblood

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As some men would say, finders keepers. He had 30 years to reclaim it. After 30 years, can a man even still own it anymore? If you were storing something in your home for 30 years, many men would make the arguement that you own it now, thus legally sound. It would be very hard for Cole smithy to procescute Christian Weston chandler over the comic books after 30 long years. To be blatantly honest, some men on this forum are not even 30 years old yet, to put the timeline in a little bit better of perspective for men.

DaBigStraw

*gulp*
kiwifarms.net
I ordered one of the comic books from Chris and felt like sharing the details.

First off, I've been following Chris for less than a year - I remember hearing about him back in the day, but never did bother to see what the deal was. Missed out on *all* the good shit back in 07-11. Whatever, I know about Chris now, so I can learn about the history over time.

I saw the video about the comics being for sale pop up in my subscriptions and figured now would be a fine time to grab something, since the prices aren't stupid with this, I have a bit of money to waste on something like this, and I like to collect odd things anyway.

As mentioned above, it was also a chance to get Barb's signature, her being probably the biggest reason that Chris is the way he is, as well as getting that of Chris.. er, Christine herself. Did I mention I like to collect strange things? Hell, the whole way these books tie into the dysfunctional nature of the whole family on Barbs side interests me from a sociological point of view, so it's all kind of neat in a pointless sort of way to me.

On the 14th I ordered a book, and waited. eBay said the arrival date would be the 22nd. I already knew to expect a delay, if I got anything at all, so I stayed patient. On the 22nd, the same damn day it should have arrived, he shipped them out. Judging by other feedback present on eBay regarding the comics, which was all posted today, it seems he shipped them out in batches, maybe waiting for as many as possible to sell before mailing them out? Whatever, once it was mailed out it made it here.

It arrived in a standard yellow envelope with [DO NOT BEND!] written on it. Inside was the book I had ordered, undamaged, with the (debatable) real item of interest - The COA for the comic.

It's interesting to look over. I'm not sure if we have a sample of Barb's signature yet, but hers is quite similar to Chris's. It does show signs of being more formal and less stylized, probably a direct result of Barb being a secretary. Chris, never having needed to "tone his down" of course remains as it always has.

EDIT: Shit's probably faked - the more you look at it, the more you notice too many little similarities.

The document is about 2.5 by 2.5 inches, so nothing super huge. It has a spot for each books name and # to be written and interestingly on mine they made a mistake, putting the book # on the same line as the book name (and getting the number wrong in the process!) They fixed this on the actual # line. Maybe mine was one of the first ones they did? Who knows. Of course Chris refers to himself as a she, which is fine.

So, beyond being a bit delayed, there is nothing strange to say about this one. I got exactly what I expected. The book smells like a perfectly normal, old comic book, and the COA smells like a freshly printed document that's been stuck in a bag with an old comic book for a week.

Still, at least I have a piece of Christory, for whatever it's worth, which I already know is fuck all.

sonichu.jpg

Last edited:

Muscle Bra

I passed high scholl bitch!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I saw the video about the comics being for sale ... and figured now would be a fine time to grab something, since the prices aren't stupid ... and I like to collect odd things anyway.

Still, at least I have a piece of Christory, for whatever it's worth, which I already know is fuck all.
I'd say you got taken (since I think those books were overpriced) but it sounds as if you knew what you were getting yourself into.

Congrats on your little piece of Christory (or, rather, "Colestory") and welcome to the Farms!

DaBigStraw

*gulp*
kiwifarms.net
I'd say you got taken (since I think those books were overpriced) but it sounds as if you knew what you were getting yourself into.

Congrats on your little piece of Christory (or, rather, "Colestory") and welcome to the Farms!

Oh yes, I knew the books were priced, well, wrongly, shall we say! It wasn't so much the book that mattered, it really was just getting the paper with the signatures.

I know, that makes it all even more pathetic and could be considered an even greater waste of money but I figured what the hell. The comic is neat to have in an of itself given the "Colestory" nature! (I like that term for this, since you bring it up.)

Glad it was an excuse to make an account and post - figured the farms would want to see what's up with the books once they came in. Thanks for the welcome!

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Chris forged his mother's signature. No question about it.

He changed the way he wrote the numbers in the date, but Chandler is written exactly the same. I wonder if he signs checks with her name too?
Interesting. I thought they looked similar, but I just thought she taught Chris cursive.

There are two ways to get to the bottom of this: get Chris to prove she wrote it on camera and/or get her to write something more elaborate.
ie something with lowercase I's in it. fatty probably will absentmindedly put hearts on the I's like he does with his signature

bigshot

Some call me a freak. I call me BIGSHOT!
kiwifarms.net
Look at the way the ler at the end of Chandler is written. You don't need to get Chris to prove anything. That signature is forged. Who else would take the loop on the l with two separate swoops. and the loopy e following the loopy l is a dead giveaway.

I bet Barb can't even spell her name any more, much less sign it.

Last edited:

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net
I ordered one of the comic books from Chris and felt like sharing the details.

First off, I've been following Chris for less than a year - I remember hearing about him back in the day, but never did bother to see what the deal was. Missed out on *all* the good shit back in 07-11. Whatever, I know about Chris now, so I can learn about the history over time.

I saw the video about the comics being for sale pop up in my subscriptions and figured now would be a fine time to grab something, since the prices aren't stupid with this, I have a bit of money to waste on something like this, and I like to collect odd things anyway.

As mentioned above, it was also a chance to get Barb's signature, her being probably the biggest reason that Chris is the way he is, as well as getting that of Chris.. er, Christine herself. Did I mention I like to collect strange things? Hell, the whole way these books tie into the dysfunctional nature of the whole family on Barbs side interests me from a sociological point of view, so it's all kind of neat in a pointless sort of way to me.

On the 14th I ordered a book, and waited. eBay said the arrival date would be the 22nd. I already knew to expect a delay, if I got anything at all, so I stayed patient. On the 22nd, the same damn day it should have arrived, he shipped them out. Judging by other feedback present on eBay regarding the comics, which was all posted today, it seems he shipped them out in batches, maybe waiting for as many as possible to sell before mailing them out? Whatever, once it was mailed out it made it here.

It arrived in a standard yellow envelope with [DO NOT BEND!] written on it. Inside was the book I had ordered, undamaged, with the (debatable) real item of interest - The COA for the comic.

It's interesting to look over. I'm not sure if we have a sample of Barb's signature yet, but hers is quite similar to Chris's. It does show signs of being more formal and less stylized, probably a direct result of Barb being a secretary. Chris, never having needed to "tone his down" of course remains as it always has.

The document is about 2.5 by 2.5 inches, so nothing super huge. It has a spot for each books name and # to be written and interestingly on mine they made a mistake, putting the book # on the same line as the book name (and getting the number wrong in the process!) They fixed this on the actual # line. Maybe mine was one of the first ones they did? Who knows. Of course Chris refers to himself as a she, which is fine.

So, beyond being a bit delayed, there is nothing strange to say about this one. I got exactly what I expected. The book smells like a perfectly normal, old comic book, and the COA smells like a freshly printed document that's been stuck in a bag with an old comic book for a week.

View attachment 412661
Congratulations on your garbage but if you expected a pat on the back for it you came to the wrong place.