3-D Print General - Feeding Printers Filament

Distant Stare

"we are going out with our octo..."
kiwifarms.net
werfasddasdq3rq23t1.jpg

What is 3D Printing?
3D printing is a method of additive manufacturing. On the hobby level, using machines that range in price from 90 to 1000 dollars, this is accomplished by laying down hundreds of layers of plastic or resin. These layers culminate in a 3D object.

What can I 3D print?
3D printing has more capabilities than most other manufacturing processes. You can create complex, hollow, intricate, large, or small objects in just a few hours with minimal work.

How much does it cost?
1 Kg of 3D printer "filament" (2.2 pounds for uneducated faggots) costs between 15 and 30 dollars. PLA filament is the most common and is easy to print. ABS and PETG are harder to print, they "warp" and "crack", but are tougher. You can buy everything on ebay or amazon.

Need help with prints? Go to:

If that doesn't help you solve your print problems, please post:
>A picture of the failed part
>Printer make & model
>Filament type/brand
>Bed & extruder temperature
>Print speed

What printer should I buy?
Under 200 USD: Creality Ender 3 (my favorite!)
Under 500 USD: Creality CR-10
Under 1000 USD: Prusa i3 (Mk2 or Mk3)
Over 1000 USD: Lulzbot or Ultimaker
Buyer beware: some chinkshit clones are garbage. Some can be genuinely good, though.
Instead of buying a new printer, you could consider building your own: https://reprap.org/wiki/

Where can I get free things to print?

What CAD software should I use?
Solidworks, Inventor, AutoCAD etc. all work, but Blender and Fusion 360 are free:

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
is this a good place where we can discuss cody wilson and the 3d printing of guns

Separate thread

Damn Furfag

S-S-Senpai, it's so big~
kiwifarms.net
Most of the time you take the material the food is made of, usually this is chocolate, and lay it down in layers to make a 3d object. This can be any paste really: Frosting, butters, sauces.

Can do the same with clay.

edboy

I love you
kiwifarms.net
What's a good replacement fan for a CR-10? I was tightening some parts near the fan and like a fucking sped I accidentally stuck the tool in the fan while it was running and two of the fan blades broke.

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
What's a good replacement fan for a CR-10? I was tightening some parts near the fan and like a fucking sped I accidentally stuck the tool in the fan while it was running and two of the fan blades broke.
I have done the same thing multiple times...

Just measure the dimensions of the fan and find a 12 v or 24 v replacement. I do not know if the CR-10 is a 12 or 24 volt system

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Most of the time you take the material the food is made of, usually this is chocolate, and lay it down in layers to make a 3d object. This can be any paste really: Frosting, butters, sauces.

3d printers were originally made to be confectionery devices. So it makes sense that they're useful with pastries, it was their primary purpose and the design really has not changed from the original.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
No, that's not true at all. It got started with Stratasys who sold them for rapid prototyping using plastics.
I dunno dude I remember the first 3d printing kit machines available in america being made out of wood and converted pastry machines. if the thing's main structure wasn't wood that you needed to punch holes in, it probably came later.

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
I dunno dude I remember the first 3d printing kit machines available in america being made out of wood and converted pastry machines. if the thing's main structure wasn't wood that you needed to punch holes in, it probably came later.
Yeah, I do remember that there was some early printer from a diy friendly community that printed sugar.
Although I don't think it predates the RepRap efforts.

But in any case Stratasys predates all of that - they started making 3d printers in the early 90s.
They also used to own the patent on it. 3d printers outside industrial use didn't take off until it expired.

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
n any case Stratasys predates all of that -
some of the first DIY printers also used weed-wacker line as filament. Today some new DIY SLS machines are also returning to using sugar

Does anyone know anything about electrochemical machining?

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
What's the current level of home 3D printing? Last time I checked which was a while ago even expensive machines were kinda shitty and you'd want to build your own which seemed like a lot of work.

I have some expensive headphones that have a shitty part holding the ear pieces which I'm guessing was designed to break because the (just as shitty) spare part is sold by the manufacturer at an unreasonable premium. I got nice and much more robust spares printed at a professional place. I feel they'll outlast me.

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
What's the current level of home 3D printing? Last time I checked which was a while ago even expensive machines were kinda shitty and you'd want to build your own which seemed like a lot of work.

I have some expensive headphones that have a shitty part holding the ear pieces which I'm guessing was designed to break because the (just as shitty) spare part is sold by the manufacturer at an unreasonable premium. I got nice and much more robust spares printed at a professional place. I feel they'll outlast me.
The state of the art is relatively excellent. To get a high end machine for home use you can spend about 700 dollars or so on a Prusa MK2. This printer runs its self and in many years I have never heard a single complaint about it. For 200 dollars you can get an Ender 3, which is perfect for everyday use. It can print PETG (a strong material) really well.

Over the last few years what has really caused machines to increase in quality is

1) Better software (slicers and Marlin firmware)
2) Decreased price from more manufacturers entering the market

The Ender 3 comes with an all aluminium body. A few years ago that would have been rare.

There are also resin printers for 200 dollars that create prints so detailed that they are measured in a few microns. These printers are perfect for making miniatures, models, and other small things.

adasdadad.JPG
adadadada.JPG
adadad.JPG

Last edited:

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
My printer is the cheapest garbage I could find on ebay, a chinkshit clone of a chinkshit clone, took days of fucking around to get it working but since I did it's been completely worth the ~120 freedom dollars it ran me.
My Ender 3 was like 160. I purchased a new bowden tube for it, and also used an old extruder I had to repace the Chinesium one.

Then I later invested in making a PEI bed for it (40 bucks). Over all I love it. My only complaint is that I cant print out polycarbonate, and the board does not have the arduino bootloader.

I am thinking about replacing the hotend with a all metal version and making an enclosure for it.

313123.JPG
313331213.JPG

Tags
None