3-D Print General - Feeding Printers Filament

Does anyone know anything about electrochemical machining?
Separate thread

Make EDM thread if you like. Lots to catch up since Russians invented it over 100 years ago. There are many DIY setups but not a whole lot that can be found in one place.

is this a good place where we can discuss cody wilson and the 3d printing of guns
Since this is 3D printing thread, it goes hand in hand. Not politics but tech. There are many ways 3D printing works, not just filament, but also powder cintering, which I saw would be made desktop affordable and with laser cutters CO2 tech coming from china and under $500, I can see that becoming a choice eventually.

Unlike printing plastic joos and kiwis, printing firearms steps the game quiet a bit, because you need strength to go with function. The problem I see is that people trying to print parts to fit guns, i.e. printed AR and AK receivers which were designed to be metal. 3D printing works better with Tec9 where lower WAS plastic and firearm was designed around that.

One dimension of 3D gun printing is that you can replicate parts not just easily, but pretty much anywhere around the world. Granted that many countries, unlike US, classify barrels and other gun parts as controlled parts, still, anyone can design a gun in US and have it printed in Japan ... or Honk Kong.

Distant Stare

"we are going out with our octo..."
kiwifarms.net
Make EDM thread if you like. Lots to catch up since Russians invented it over 100 years ago. There are many DIY setups but not a whole lot that can be found in one place.

Since this is 3D printing thread, it goes hand in hand. Not politics but tech. There are many ways 3D printing works, not just filament, but also powder cintering, which I saw would be made desktop affordable and with laser cutters CO2 tech coming from china and under $500, I can see that becoming a choice eventually.

Unlike printing plastic joos and kiwis, printing firearms steps the game quiet a bit, because you need strength to go with function. The problem I see is that people trying to print parts to fit guns, i.e. printed AR and AK receivers which were designed to be metal. 3D printing works better with Tec9 where lower WAS plastic and firearm was designed around that.

One dimension of 3D gun printing is that you can replicate parts not just easily, but pretty much anywhere around the world. Granted that many countries, unlike US, classify barrels and other gun parts as controlled parts, still, anyone can design a gun in US and have it printed in Japan ... or Honk Kong.
ECM not EDM

Dont Mind Me

kiwifarms.net

As long as the parts of the firearm that are being printed aren't bearing the pressure or fire from discharging the rounds, it should be fine. case in point, I've seen AR15 lowers, Tec 9 lowers, Glock frames and P226 frames that have all been printed and work fine. with the Glock and P226, the rails that the slide is guided by are usually made of metal and affixed to the frames.

ECM not EDM
ok, make two threads, we can talk about EDM and ECM

As long as the parts of the firearm that are being printed aren't bearing the pressure or fire from discharging the rounds, it should be fine. case in point, I've seen AR15 lowers, Tec 9 lowers, Glock frames and P226 frames that have all been printed and work fine. with the Glock and P226, the rails that the slide is guided by are usually made of metal and affixed to the frames.
even alum receievrs of AR15 are prone to crack/break at the buffer joint, there is a weak spot there. It's not so much firing, but also handling. There are steel inserts that are used for AR polymer lowers in that exact spot, however you can use an insert on injected or cast (you can cast plastic) parts, not printed.

The 3D AR15 lowers are fairly ugly trying to overcome the shortcoming that some parts are not designed to take the stress.

What I find promising on 3D printing end is the filament choices. You can now get printers to print in Nylon. You can also get special filament that could be used for lost wax(filament) castings and more filament choices coming. That's very exciting.

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net

even alum receievrs of AR15 are prone to crack/break at the buffer joint, there is a weak spot there. It's not so much firing, but also handling. There are steel inserts that are used for AR polymer lowers in that exact spot, however you can use an insert on injected or cast (you can cast plastic) parts, not printed.

The 3D AR15 lowers are fairly ugly trying to overcome the shortcoming that some parts are not designed to take the stress.

What I find promising on 3D printing end is the filament choices. You can now get printers to print in Nylon. You can also get special filament that could be used for lost wax(filament) castings and more filament choices coming. That's very exciting.
There is a 3d printed firearm thread that is separate

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I have a question if I want to 3d print a statue with complex and tiny detailed parts like individual fingers, how would I have to break apart the 3d model so it will print? I want to do multiple solid colors and have all parts organized by color so everything of the same color is printed in one go like a gang mold.

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
I have a question if I want to 3d print a statue with complex and tiny detailed parts like individual fingers, how would I have to break apart the 3d model so it will print? I want to do multiple solid colors and have all parts organized by color so everything of the same color is printed in one go like a gang mold.
Meshmixer is designed just for that. MakersMuse did a tutorial video. For details use a small nozzle (0.2) on a well tuned printer, or use resin.
I just installed a BLTouch sensor on my CR-10s. $30 ain’t much on top of a $400 printer, and it’s saved me a lot of trouble so far.
The Ender 3 is very rigid do it does not need constant bed leveling

TenMilesWide

It's a communist plot!
kiwifarms.net

We're gonna need a few threads, EDM and ECM can both mean several things and I don't want electrochemical machining fags shitting up my electronic countermeasures thread.

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
We're gonna need a few threads, EDM and ECM can both mean several things and I don't want electrochemical machining fags shitting up my electronic countermeasures thread.
Are there really enough electrochemistry and electronic warfair fags on this forum to warrant three new threads?

Why not rename this thread to "Dangrous DIY Tech" for:
3d printing
Milling
ECM
Electromagnetic jamming
Radio
Ect

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
Hooray, a 3DP thread. hot plastic design is my passion~

Makes me wonder if there are any CNC milling spergs around. I want to be one but I'm kind of afraid of jumping in blind and unlike 3DP it seems to be a bit more niche. If we do have CNC kiwis around, are the SainSmart 3018 clones any good or is it worth the extra 60 bucks to get a guaranteed authentic one?

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
Hooray, a 3DP thread. hot plastic design is my passion~

Makes me wonder if there are any CNC milling spergs around. I want to be one but I'm kind of afraid of jumping in blind and unlike 3DP it seems to be a bit more niche. If we do have CNC kiwis around, are the SainSmart 3018 clones any good or is it worth the extra 60 bucks to get a guaranteed authentic one?
I dont do any CNC but generally it is always worth it to get an original, and not the chink-shit version.

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, this is something I've wanted to get into for a while. This thread renewed that. So, wife bought me an Ender 3 Pro. Got it assembled, bed leveled, and it's currently printing one of the models that came on the SD card. It's apparently an Asian Lucky Cat. It didn't have an STL file, just the gcode. I got a few other little things lined up. Creality has their own slicer software. Apparently that isn't well known.

I have a larger self designed project in mind. I just need to learn FreeCAD enough to get it designed. Shouldn't be too hard as it's basically just a large flat plate that will mount in a mini-ITX spot that I can attach a couple hard drives and maybe an RPI to.

As far as printer mods, I think the only thing I'm going to do right now is get another RPi to run OctoPrint on.

Reactions: Marvin

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
Be aware that if that cat fails 70% through the print, it's the model, not your printer. That corrupted file has been around for several years and is so notorious that the official Creality3D facebook group did a run of lucky cat shirts with the top third missing to commemorate it.

• Winner
Reactions: Distant Stare

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Be aware that if that cat fails 70% through the print, it's the model, not your printer. That corrupted file has been around for several years and is so notorious that the official Creality3D facebook group did a run of lucky cat shirts with the top third missing to commemorate it.
lol It completed with no problems. I think it was 4 hours, 37 minutes. I've since printed a small part for a simple little Nerf gun mod. Got a couple more mods to go but I still only have the filament that came with the printer. Ordered more but it isn't here yet.

Damn Furfag

S-S-Senpai, it's so big~
kiwifarms.net

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
My next printer is going to be a Prusa MK2. I am tired of spending time calibrating shit and making profiles. I want a work horse that I can keep around for 5 years. I also might think about buying a resin printer if the build space gets bigger.

Are resin prints strong enough to make guns parts?

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone taken the time to print something huge that has to be printed in multiple pieces? I got a couple of models that I'd like to do that. I'm talking, without scaling, models split to 10 or more pieces that will each take anywhere from 8 hours to a day or so to print.

Distant Stare

kiwifarms.net
Has anyone taken the time to print something huge that has to be printed in multiple pieces? I got a couple of models that I'd like to do that. I'm talking, without scaling, models split to 10 or more pieces that will each take anywhere from 8 hours to a day or so to print.
Yes. I printed a few full rifles like that. Make sure to watch out for elephant foot when doing it

• Informative
Reactions: Sam Losco
Tags
None