3-D Print General - Feeding Printers Filament

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm in the process of printing out a full scale Halo Assault Rife in-between printing out smaller items.
rifle.jpg

You can see a gap with the second piece on the left to the one under it. It actually curves up on the ends. I'm pretty sure that was a bed leveling issue. Don't want to reprint so I'll just fill it in somehow when I glue them together. It's not even half done. That's 9 out of 31 pieces.

I've been designing and printing some plate pieces for a 1U rack chassis I foolishly bought. It's designed to fit two mini-ITX boards, two FlexATX PSU's, two 2.5" drives and two 3.5" drives. But goddamn that would be fucking hard to do. The FlexATX I bought has been modded for modular cables so didn't fit in the designated area in the chassis. Since I'm only putting one motherboard in, I put the PSU where the second MB would go and designed a new IO plate to secure it too. I'm moving my Garage PI setup into this chassis too. This actually isn't even the final piece but one of the prototypes I printed for fit checks. The final piece has two large round holes to the left of the PSU for panel mount cat5/6 connectors for the Garage PI to use. The PSU screws to the IO plate. To keep it from flexing back when I plug in the power cord, I also printed a simple flat piece that fit around a couple standoffs built into the chassis to the right of the PSU that fits snug.
backplate left.jpgbackplate right.jpg

Here's the mounting plate I just did tonight. The RPi (RPi 1 A, I think. Two USB ports and only two mounting holes) mounts on the left and the relay board mounts on the right. The slightly bigger holes that are slightly offset from each other are for screwing it in to the bottom of the chassis. Luckily, it has a few countersunk holes on the bottom and comes with some slightly course threaded countersunk screws that worked perfect for this. The RPi is slightly loose feeling because it only has two mount holes and I still used standoffs to clear stuff on the bottom. The relay board has four but only the top two can actually take screws because the wire block was installed two close to the other two screw holes. Design flaw.

rpi plate.jpg

The IO plate for the PSU was designed using FreeCAD. The RPI mount was designed using TinkerCAD and holy shit, I'm sticking with that. It is much easier to design simple things like this in TinkerCAD than FreeCAD.

Reactions: Oban Kamz

Damn Furfag

S-S-Senpai, it's so big~
kiwifarms.net
The state of the art is relatively excellent. To get a high end machine for home use you can spend about 700 dollars or so on a Prusa MK2. This printer runs its self and in many years I have never heard a single complaint about it. For 200 dollars you can get an Ender 3, which is perfect for everyday use. It can print PETG (a strong material) really well.

Over the last few years what has really caused machines to increase in quality is

1) Better software (slicers and Marlin firmware)
2) Decreased price from more manufacturers entering the market

The Ender 3 comes with an all aluminium body. A few years ago that would have been rare.

There are also resin printers for 200 dollars that create prints so detailed that they are measured in a few microns. These printers are perfect for making miniatures, models, and other small things.

View attachment 1042375View attachment 1042380View attachment 1042376
The caveat with resin is the hazards and fumes that come off during prints. Not that FDM is much better for your health.

Attachments

Gatdam Animal Person

Hot dog!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My college offers a cheap 3d printing service for students. Since I don't have space for a 3d printer, it's pretty convenient. Sadly I'm no longer a student there so I might have to go elsewhere or jump though some hoops.

I printed a few minis with PLA and resin. What I like with PLA is that it's cheap and can build big things with it. Resin allows for more minute details but it's costly, fragile and toxic.

Made a herd of kobolds and an army of bandits with PLA. The little critters were fine (had to glue a few of them together since I'm a huge ree.tard) but the bandits supports were nigh impossible to remove. They had very fine weapons so I'll inevitably break them no matter what I do.

I did two of my D&D characters in resin. I was genuinely impressed at how detailed the figures turned out. I had a dragonborn and a dwarf (who I had to glue his hammer together, very fragile) and someone will be painting them for me.

One day, I'll have my own printer... one day...

Consenticles

it's a tiny asterisk!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
More prints, for my nephews. Painted them myself, was good fun. Theme of the week is ocean for their giftbox.
20200211_151318.jpg20200211_151243.jpg
These little guys aren't that big, my hand is small. But they move and wiggle super well, even with paint.
20200212_201755.jpg20200212_201552.jpg
These guys are really cool, their mouths open and shit. Painted inside segments with pink to simulate the meat, plus white on the joints to mimic spine bones.
20200211_151407.jpg
The blue one unfortunately came out a bit stiff, and while I was trying to wiggle the joints loose I broke one of the tips. Superglued it back on. Will try with stronger material next time.
2786.jpeg
Group pic before they are shipped off tomorrow to their new homes!!
Dm me for requests

Neat! Do you print anything functional?
Define functional?

Last edited:
Tags
None