4/5/2018 - Pax East Gran Autismo fundraiser - The spirit of Jace trembles

stets

big stank dick dad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is it legal to offer a service in return for a campaign donation, since the whole thing isn't tax deductible anyway?
Yes, it's legal to have quid pro quo in campaign donations. And politicians take contributions in exchange for their time all time the time. Every political fundraising dinner is almost exactly analogous to the Wu car ride fundraiser.

If you want to be extra careful in this instance, I guess you can mark the gas as a campaign expense, but it's probably not necessary.

As others have stated, this is a remarkably tone-deaf fundraiser. I've seen a lot of really clever ideas to raise money for political campaigns as well as a lot of bad ideas. This is the worst I've come across. Wu clearly came up with this on their own. No professional political operative would ever, ever, ever suggest mentioning the words "my Porsche" in any context, especially where it's published online for the world to see.

This whole idea is just fucking idiotic.

Kroster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes, it's legal to have quid pro quo in campaign donations. And politicians take contributions in exchange for their time all time the time. Every political fundraising dinner is almost exactly analogous to the Wu car ride fundraiser.

If you want to be extra careful in this instance, I guess you can mark the gas as a campaign expense, but it's probably not necessary.

As others have stated, this is a remarkably tone-deaf fundraiser. I've seen a lot of really clever ideas to raise money for political campaigns as well as a lot of bad ideas. This is the worst I've come across. Wu clearly came up with this on their own. No professional political operative would ever, ever, ever suggest mentioning the words "my Porsche" in any context, especially where it's published online for the world to see.

This whole idea is just fucking idiotic.
It's amazing in its tone deafness. The part about "my Porsche" is just the icing on the cake.

As I said in the other thread, it puts a dollar amount on her time, and it's laughably low for a Congressional candidate. $150 to Lynch wouldn't even get you a pre-recorded phone call thank you.

It also tries to put a veneer of professionally on her scampaign by claiming that the grownups in charge wouldn't approve of this fundraiser. But could anything possibly be less professional than admitting that the candidate isn't a grownup in her own campaign? Or in admitting that you're going against any strategy or management that you hired yourself? Can you imagine any other politician with even a half chance of winning doing something as unprofessional as pretending it's really cute that they're doing something their campaign managers and strategists would be pissed about? Not only does it make you look like a bratty 8 year old, you're admitting that you're fucking with people's careers and doing things that will make them look bad. Campaign careers aren't like normal careers where there's room for some error and slip-ups: you need to find a new job every 12-24 months, and you need to keep your reputation and your candidate's reputation as clean as possible.

It makes her look like a bratty kid trying to put one over on her parents. Because what Congress needs is another overgrown brat.

Every time I assume her campaign can't get any more obnoxious and clueless, I'm proven wrong. Part of me thinks that this has to be the dumbest and most tone-deaf idea she's ever had, and part of me can't wait to see how she'll top this one.

stets

big stank dick dad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Or in admitting that you're going against any strategy or management that you hired yourself? Can you imagine any other politician with even a half chance of winning doing something as unprofessional as pretending it's really cute that they're doing something their campaign managers and strategists would be pissed about?
Yeah, I'm doubtful these campaign professionals even exist. We'll find out when FEC reports come out to see what, if any, consultants Brianna has hired. To the best of my knowledge, no non-Warren staff or general consulting firms have ever appeared on expense reports. My expectation is that none will appear on the next report, either. @Kosher Dill has done the most work poring over fec reports, so they can correct me if I'm wrong.

My hunch is that the campaign grownups rhetoric was just doubling down on the whole "badass gamer grrrl" shtick.

Last edited:

Sissy Galvez

kiwifarms.net
Hey it’s progressive man of the people John Flynt.

You know at this point he’s got to be thinking the election is a lost cause and is just trolling people. Or maybe he really is so stupid he thinks it’s a good idea to ask people for money to ride in his Porsche while complaining he can’t afford to buy a house.

• Agree
Reactions: AprilRains

Kroster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I'm doubtful these campaign professionals even exist. We'll find out when FEC reports come out to see what, if any, consultants Brianna has hired. To the best of my knowledge, no non-Warren staff or general consulting firms have ever appeared on expense reports. My expectation is that none will appear on the next report, either. @Kosher Dill has done the most work poring over fec reports, so they can correct me if I'm wrong.

My hunch is that the campaign grownups rhetoric was just doubling down on the whole "badass gamer grrrl" shtick.
There is 0 chance that these "campaign professionals" exist. The entire campaign is her and Frank, and whatever they can convince Warren to do with vague promises of money and fame.

ZKWNordman

kiwifarms.net
There is 0 chance that these "campaign professionals" exist. The entire campaign is her and Frank, and whatever they can convince Warren to do with vague promises of money and fame.
Excuse me, but wee Zippady Doodog, Snot, and Zigazigahhh have tirelessly served as the grassroots effort for this campaign. They’ve been shitting on lawns for months. Brianna just needs them to “do other things.”

break these cuffs

You must attack the word bastards
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, just the other day Trump publicly tossed away the notes for the speech "the adults" wrote for him, and went off on his own topics instead. John really does have more in common with the president than with any other politician.
Trump actually won, which means every politician who has actually served has more in common with him than John ever will.

Hey it’s progressive man of the people John Flynt.
Since fucks up his cars with astounding regularity, John should violate a bunch of trademarks, copyrights, or whatever and do a parody scampaign ad of a Progressive commercial. John trying to play Flo would be a beautiful nightmare.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is 0 chance that these "campaign professionals" exist.
Yes, for the simple reason that professionals get paid. There's simply not enough cash in the Wu campaign to pay even one employee one month's salary. Honestly I'm surprised even Warren is still on the payroll - how long was that first payment of $1000 supposed to last? If that's per month they must be bankrupting the campaign on him alone.

Incidentally, one interesting thing we can deduce from the Wus' financial disclosure reports is that Frank (very wisely) seems to have firewalled his finances from John's. If they were a "traditional" married couple with all assets shared, he would have been able to donate an unlimited amount to the campaign, but in the early days we saw him juggling money around to keep under the individual-contributor limit.

So as it stands, even if Frank decides to go all-out and buy some help, he's still limited to spending a couple thousand dollars. At best that would briefly get him another Warren-like meth-head or two.

Francis York Morgan

FBI Special Agent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As I said in the other thread, it puts a dollar amount on her time, and it's laughably low for a Congressional candidate. $150 to Lynch wouldn't even get you a pre-recorded phone call thank you.
That's business as usual for Brianna. Longtime followers of Wu's shenanigans might remember that John's speaker fees are hilariously low, hence why he still gets any bookings and often ends up speaking to empty rooms at fourth tier colleges/venues. Part of why this happens is because Brianna is largely clueless about the value of a dollar due to him never having a professional position. Another part of it is that, to Brianna, the experience means more to her than actually getting compensated. I figure this falls more in the latter as John just wants to brag about a zany scheme of his working (and he gets to show off how cool his toys are to plebs).
It also tries to put a veneer of professionally on her scampaign by claiming that the grownups in charge wouldn't approve of this fundraiser. But could anything possibly be less professional than admitting that the candidate isn't a grownup in her own campaign? Or in admitting that you're going against any strategy or management that you hired yourself?
It's an interesting dynamic we've seen play out time and time again following Brianna Wu. John is obsessed with pushing this image that he's this cool, antiestablishment, badass girl who goes against the grain and gets results every time. He did this when cosplaying as a game developer and he's doing it now cosplaying a politician. I wonder if this is because it's a common trope in television for the quirky main character to ignore the advice of others around them and end up more successful for it?

As for how it reflects on Brianna to constantly be pulling this shit, I don't think he ever considers how these fantasies look to anyone else. Hell, I'm not convinced that John is capable of considering another's perspective.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
what would literally happen if you were a high enough donor to earn this "reward," bring along a Go-Pro or other recording device to record the conversation between you & your campaign hero, only to reveal halfway through the drive when you're up in the Boston backroad twisties that you were a long-time GamerGate poster & advertiment e-mailer?

Would they stop and kick you out of the car right then and there?
Would you get a long awkward silent drive back to city limits?
Would John & the driver be so confused there's an argument about what to do with you?

It would almost, almost be worth the donation and personal risk to facebook livestream this scenario with enough preparation, forethought in conversation scripting/having responses prepared.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
what would literally happen if you were a high enough donor to earn this "reward," bring along a Go-Pro or other recording device to record the conversation between you & your campaign hero, only to reveal halfway through the drive when you're up in the Boston backroad twisties that you were a long-time GamerGate poster & advertiment e-mailer
The last thing you'd see as John loses control of the car would be an orange prescription bottle flying through the air end-over-end in slow motion, spilling blue Ambien pills everywhere, before the Porsche hits the granddaddy of all bollards at full speed. Lights out, hope it was worth it.

polonium

By your genders combined, I am Captain Tumblr
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
what would literally happen if you were a high enough donor to earn this "reward," bring along a Go-Pro or other recording device to record the conversation between you & your campaign hero, only to reveal halfway through the drive when you're up in the Boston backroad twisties that you were a long-time GamerGate poster & advertiment e-mailer?

Would they stop and kick you out of the car right then and there?
Would you get a long awkward silent drive back to city limits?
Would John & the driver be so confused there's an argument about what to do with you?

It would almost, almost be worth the donation and personal risk to facebook livestream this scenario with enough preparation, forethought in conversation scripting/having responses prepared.
I literally don't literally know what would literally happen in your scenario, but I do literally know that John isn't getting into the car with someone who has a camera and questions he hasn't vetted in advance. Even if you did try it on by asking if you could record it, he'd probably say no, in the one-in-a-million chance he did agree to some questions and for you to record them, as soon as you go off-script he's going to stop answering and just accuse you of being a gamergater troll and then tweet endlessly about how gamergate tried to kill him by crashing his car. Literally.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino