Disaster 6.4 Earthquake Hits SoCal -

• The Kiwi Farms is running a Fediverse Node, which is like Twitter but decentralized between many individual providers, similar to email. Feel free to sign up and follow me. There are many more services we federate with, and you will see all that content with one account. (Feedback thread.)

Maintenance is concluded.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net

Strongest earthquake in 20 years rattles Southern California
By JOHN ANTCZAK and OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ2 hours ago

A strong earthquake rattled a large swath of Southern California and parts of Nevada on Thursday, rattling nerves on the July 4th holiday and causing some damage in a town near the epicenter amid a swarm of aftershocks. (July 4)

Syaoran Li

Honorary Zoomer
kiwifarms.net
Given all the heinous shit going on in California lately, I think I know what is the root cause of this calamity...

God is royally pissed.

San Francisco is being ravaged by literal plague and now LA is not only having to deal with the same plague, but also a fairly powerful earthquake, the first in over two decades.

Chances are we're going to see Mount Rainier erupt and take out a good chunk of Seattle pretty soon.

I shudder in fear to think about what's in store for Portland....

Seriously though, earthquakes are the reason why you never build a major city along a massive fault line.

Between the fault lines and the fact that the Los Angeles metropolitan area is close enough to the chaparral that wildfires are a major problem while simultaneously deep enough in the desert that there isn't enough fresh water to supply the city's needs that it begs the question as to how the fuck Los Angeles became the second-biggest city in the United States and when the hell is the inevitable collapse of the city gonna happen?

Sundae

Weird-Ass Puppet Dog
kiwifarms.net

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
Certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks.

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay.

Fret for your figure
And fret for your latte
And fret for your lawsuit
And fret for your hairpiece
And fret for your Prozac
And fret for your pilot
And fret for your contract
And fret for your car.

It's a bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks.

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call L.A.
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip shits.

And some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
Certainly hope we will
I sure could use a vacation from this stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit.

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.
Learn to swim.
Learn to swim.

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's comin' 'round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

Fuck L Ron Hubbard
And fuck all his clones.
Fuck all these gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim. [repeat]

Fuck retro anything.
Fuck your tattoos.
Fuck all you junkies
And fuck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

Fuck smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas.
Fuck these dysfunctional
Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

'Cause I'm praying for rain
I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.

Mom, please flush it all away.
I wanna see it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.
And I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
Bring it down
Suck it down.
Flush it down.
Between the fault lines and the fact that the Los Angeles metropolitan area is close enough to the chaparral that wildfires are a major problem while simultaneously deep enough in the desert that there isn't enough fresh water to supply the city's needs that it begs the question as to how the fuck Los Angeles became the second-biggest city in the United States and when the hell is the inevitable collapse of the city gonna happen?
Hopefully soon.

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slayer Regiment
kiwifarms.net
So it begins...

Seismologist Lucy Jones said the quake was far enough away from the dangerous San Andreas fault “that any impact on the system will be minimal.”
Still more quakes — possibly bigger ones — are likely.
“This does not make [the Big One] less likely. There is about a 1 in 20 chance that this location will be having an even bigger earthquake in the next few days, that we have not yet seen the biggest earthquake of the sequence,” she added.

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net
6.4? Is that a lot? I hope it's a lot.
It's enough to be noticeable but damage is mostly going to be limited to broken belongings falling off furniture, and maybe some structural damage to older buildings with no earthquake protection. It's definitely not going to be creating Arizona Bay anytime soon.
Richter's a scale of 10, as I recall, so it's not a little.
Richter isn't a linear scale, so each number increase represents a tenfold increase in intensity. The Big One everyone's worried about will probably be a high 8 or in the 9s.

Anonymous For This

Flying pierogis at vienna.
kiwifarms.net
It's enough to be noticeable but damage is mostly going to be limited to broken belongings falling off furniture, and maybe some structural damage to older buildings with no earthquake protection. It's definitely not going to be creating Arizona Bay anytime soon.

Richter isn't a linear scale, so each number increase represents a tenfold increase in intensity. The Big One everyone's worried about will probably be a high 8 or in the 9s.
California has done quite a bit of work through the CEA to try and prepare for it. I worry far less about the "big one" in California in comparison to the "big one" ripping open the New Madrid. There was a paper done (I believe it was University of Kentucky?) a few years back that spooked a lot of insurance companies along the fault line into raising earthquake deductibles or selling their books to third party insurance companies.

What makes that faultline so bad is that the soil out east is looser than the soil along the San Andreas. This allows the earthquake to impact a far larger area: which has done the square root of fuck all to prepare for the quake or update building codes to make structures more resilient.

Poiseon

I am literal poison.
kiwifarms.net
Shame the Earthquake wasn't focused on just the city. The rest of the entire state fucking hates LA. All the exceptional politicians, voters, and illegals congregate in the coastal cities. The majority in LA.

On July 4, too, nice, it's the ghost of Washington telling California to start being more patriotic.

Or since it's in the middle of fucking nowhere in the Mojave, maybe it's just the ghost of Washington trying to destroy Troontown.
1) Everyone in my town was preparing for the fireworks festivals. Tons of trucks with big flags in the back. Lot of people fired off rifles and shotguns in respect.

2) LA isn't in the Mojave, dumbfuck. It's hundreds of miles away.

What makes that faultline so bad is that the soil out east is looser than the soil along the San Andreas. This allows the earthquake to impact a far larger area: which has done the square root of fuck all to prepare for the quake or update building codes to make structures more resilient.
The reason that housing prices are so expensive in California is due too extremely strict building codes. LA in particular has very few skyscrapers just because of this reason. though they're building what they call 'earthquake proof ones' as a test of sorts.

Last edited:

Fibonacci

Koning der Pijpbeurt
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Arizona Bay to happen. As soon as it does, the Dutch-American colonies in hiding since the fall of Dutch America will step out of the shadows to lay claim to the devastation, seizing on Trump's unwillingness to touch the libtard tainted zone. They'll systemically reengineer the area into New Netherlands using polders. Then they'll invade Mexico and work a path of domination down through South America eventually reabsorbing Suriname and instilling it as their Capitol of government. By that point, the kingdom of the Netherlands will try to intervene, wanting a slice of the American pie and they'll be thrust into war. Then the US gov will finally step in and seize the renewed lands and the New California Republic will be born and it will be the same as before. Nothing will ever change. #Sad

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino