7/29 - Chris stranded at gas station

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

Mason Verger

was she a great big healthy at any size person?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Buck Mullet

kiwifarms.net
I'm guessing the Sheetz he's stuck at is about an hour away. Lucky he seems to be out of the DC 'hood, but I don't know the area at all so hope he's safe. He really should just call the police. Maybe they will understand he's exceptional and fix his predicament. The steering column probably needs to be fiddled with or the key has to turn in the ignition with some weird torque. A tow for 60 miles back to 14B is not gonna be cheap, and unless the mechanism is literally falling apart in pieces it's probably just a subtle touch that will start the van, not Chris's specialty.

AnOminous

Only the rarest and smuggest of Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm guessing the Sheetz he's stuck at is about an hour away. Lucky he seems to be out of the DC 'hood, but I don't know the area at all so hope he's safe. He really should just call the police. Maybe they will understand he's exceptional and fix his predicament. The steering column probably needs to be fiddled with or the key has to turn in the ignition with some weird torque. A tow for 60 miles back to 14B is not gonna be cheap, and unless the mechanism is literally falling apart in pieces it's probably just a subtle touch that will start the van, not Chris's specialty.

Sounds to me like the tumbler is what's the matter, not the ignition. I once had this happen and it didn't work itself out after a couple hours, so I just said fuck it and beat open the part of the steering column that held the tumbler, pulled out the tumbler itself, and from then on started it with a flathead screwdriver.

I don't think Chris could do this, though, without just wrecking it entirely, and I don't think Blarb would be impressed with this "solution."

Buck Mullet

kiwifarms.net
Sounds to me like the tumbler is what's the matter, not the ignition. I once had this happen and it didn't work itself out after a couple hours, so I just said fuck it and beat open the part of the steering column that held the tumbler, pulled out the tumbler itself, and from then on started it with a flathead screwdriver.

I don't think Chris could do this, though, without just wrecking it entirely, and I don't think Blarb would be impressed with this "solution."

Yeah, I think Chris mucking around with it is only gonna make it worse. What he needs right now is a real man to rescue him.

4Macie

The Cow Dullahan
kiwifarms.net
Chris is apparently stranded with car troubles at a gas station.

XuVOKNX.png
I seriously have no idea what else to tell him or who to call. Can someone more mechanically inclined chime in?

View attachment 507026 View attachment 507027

Edit: one more.

View attachment 507028
Mechanic friend said if the key won't turn at all, pull the key out and push it back in slowly while gently jiggling it. Said that in some cars, little tiny flecks of metal can build up and cause locking up. I don't know if I'm explaining it right. The big thing he noted is that this is not a forever fix.... it will very much need to be brought it in and properly fixed sometime in the near future.

He also mentioned something about powdered graphite but I'm not at all sure this is something Chris should be using...if he could even get to it.

He also said that if getting the key OUT is a problem, to put the key into the accessories position (where the radio and shit can run but the engine isn't on), put the car into neutral and then back into park (keep foot on break obviously), and that might unlock the key.

Also found this video but.... not sure if it would help Chris at all or if he'd just break the key.

[EDIT: based on what Null said, maybe the above isn't useful]

Subconcious Offense

kiwifarms.net
He also mentioned something about powdered graphite but I'm not at all sure this is something Chris should be using...if he could even get to it.

Yeah, the graphite lube. He can find them easily enough at hardware stores. You just sprinkle some on the key and let it work its way into the tumbler. It's probably like 10pm there though, and only maybe will fix it, so it may be for nothing. Like I said we probably shouldn't tell him how to spend his last 20 bucks.

Mason Verger

was she a great big healthy at any size person?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, the graphite lube. He can find them easily enough at hardware stores. You just sprinkle some on the key and let it work its way into the tumbler. It's probably like 10pm there though, and only maybe will fix it, so it may be for nothing. Like I said we probably shouldn't tell him how to spend his last 20 bucks.
No we probably should. He's going to spend it an a unicorn slurpee and a keychain that says Christine. I'm not trying to be a dick, but tell me that doesn't sound plausible.

repentance

Tomorrow person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

WD40.

https://www.wd40.com/

I don't know what it's called in the US but he should be able to get the equivalent at any service station that's open and there's bound to be a passing motorist who has some in their car if he can't get to a servo.

Looks like he's getting a tow anyway.

The Captain

Friend of Marvin and Splendid Meat Sticks
True & Honest Fan
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
Chris already got $200 to help - highly doubt he has roadside assistance and it's going to cost a lot more than that after he pays for a hotel, etc. etc.

That was fast.

Edit: Chris just sent a message with a correction - they have $102 total now, not $192.

Will you be my fwiend?

kiwifarms.net
What do we think he spent for this weekend including car repair? $2000?
Knowing how ridiculously fucking expensive Bronycon is, factoring in the ticket itself, I'd put AT LEAST another 1k on that. We didn't really get a look at his loot, so it could be even more. Either way, guaranteed it wasn't cheap, and people sending him money for car repairs BEFORE con is going to make them leary to send him more for a supposedly fixed car now. It's gonna be an interesting night. I'd donate, but I have fuck all to my name.