Forum Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
screenshot-eapps courts state va us 2016-08-09 13-03-36.png

The hearing date is September 14th.

Strelok

Perfectly Cromulent Poster
kiwifarms.net
How long do you even have to go without paying your debts to get sued?

It can take fucking years in some cases, especially if you appear to be working (Mailing back and forth attempting to nail down exactly what is owed and isn't for instance) with them and are cordial. However, it can quickly escalate from paper mail, to slow trickle of phone calls, to the legal limit of phone call volume, straight to a lawsuit if you keep brushing them off, or worse, you are dumb enough to tell them "don't contact me again". Legally, you can do this, and legally, they have to stop once you formally request they no longer bother you.

Which means they will immediately move to the "sue your ass" phase, which they want to avoid as much as you do, the same way a bank would rather have you pay your damn mortgage even at a refinanced rate than reposses the house.

Last edited:

MrTroll

I know you can read MY thoughts, boy
kiwifarms.net
It can't really be worth it for a bank to go after some amount under five figures, can it? Wouldn't the legal costs add up to more than that anyway?

Not if the bank has a bunch of lawyers that work on retainer for this stuff. A lot of people who get sued for outstanding debts probably don't even show up and the court just awards the bank a default judgement, and then they turn it over to a collection agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.