A commercial that has been burned into your memory -

Trilby

Hello faggot lovers!
kiwifarms.net
Sears also had the catalogue counters in Canada. The Montreal area town I grew up in wasn't even that rural and it had one, though it wasn't a very long drive to proper department stores so I don't think my parents ever used the Sears counter. When Sears went out of business in Canada early this year, it was an especially huge blow to Canadians in really small towns far away from cities as the Sears counter was often the only way to get appliances delivered without paying through the nose for shipping.
I bet it was. It's sad to see such institutions go.

Last edited:

Kiwi Lime Pie

The tasteful summer treat. 🥝
kiwifarms.net
(Yeah, I know the Zellers Batman commercials are more famous, but those were a year or two too late for my peak childhood memories period.)
Growing up, I watched CBC periodically until the nearby Canadian city supposedly adjusted its transmitter to send less of the signal stateside. Although it was a different ad, I still recall Zellers/Club Zed ("Where the lowest price is the law!") and various ads for Canadian A&W featuring the Great Root Bear. I also recall the quiz show Reach for the Top using clips of then-popular music as the bump-outs going to and coming from commercial breaks.

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: sasazuka and Trilby

Trilby

Hello faggot lovers!
kiwifarms.net
Growing up, I watched CBC periodically until the nearby Canadian city supposedly adjusted its transmitter to send less of the signal stateside. Although it was a different ad, I still recall Zellers/Club Zed ("Where the lowest price is the law!") and various ads for Canadian A&W featuring the Great Root Bear. I also recall the quiz show Reach for the Top using clips of then-popular music as the bump-outs going to and coming from commercial breaks.
My cable outlet still carries the CBC station out of Windsor in HD! The Great Root Bear certainly was a long running tradition up there, long after the US A&W's dropped him.

Reactions: Kiwi Lime Pie

scorptatious

Bark Mage
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember as a little kid, I was watching cartoons one day, and a commercial came up showing two parents and their baby in a car. Dad was driving, while mom was holding her baby in the front seat.

The narrator starts talking.

"If you don't buckle up your baby in the back seat..."

*graphic scene of baby flying out of mom's arms and smashing into the windshield*

*transitions into funeral, mom and dad praying over a tiny casket*

...it DIES."

I was crying for pretty much the rest of the day. And for a long time, that commercial still gave me shudders.

Wish I could find it. I'm still kinda shocked something like that got on air at one point.

Last edited:

Brit Crust

Most Fashionable Bitch in Town
kiwifarms.net
Back when Pokemon was first introduced in the USA. Note that the commercial didn't have the now-iconic logo.

PokeMURDER

I remember several other American Pokemon commercials in the late 90's and early 00's, but these two stick out the most to me.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I don't recall America having stores like that besides Sears or JCPenney's having "catalog shops" in small towns. I remember some stores that offered catalogs but also had stores with items out for people to get like BEST Products and Service Merchandise.
I asked my mom about catalog stores a few months ago due to it being relevant to a lolcow (Erik Mokracek), and she said Sears and JCPenney's got their start as catalog stores and only became proper department stores in the latter half of the 80's. When I looked up BEST and Service Merchandise a few months ago (also because of Erik) I saw they went out of business by the mid 90's. I guess Sears and JCPenney's saw the writing on the wall that catalog stores were obsolete in large areas and adapted while BEST and Service Merchandise refused and died.

• Informative
Reactions: Trilby

Trilby

Hello faggot lovers!
kiwifarms.net
Back when Pokemon was first introduced in the USA. Note that the commercial didn't have the now-iconic logo.

PokeMURDER

I remember several other American Pokemon commercials in the late 90's and early 00's, but these two stick out the most to me.
Fun times, I remember finding this tape around that time...

I asked my mom about catalog stores a few months ago due to it being relevant to a lolcow (Erik Mokracek), and she said Sears and JCPenney's got their start as catalog stores and only became proper department stores in the latter half of the 80's. When I looked up BEST and Service Merchandise a few months ago (also because of Erik) I saw they went out of business by the mid 90's. I guess Sears and JCPenney's saw the writing on the wall that catalog stores were obsolete in large areas and adapted while BEST and Service Merchandise refused and died.
Wouldn't be surprised that happened, having the store already in store to get was obviously a better choice than waiting for it (of course we kinda went back to that with online shops).

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Fun times, I remember finding this tape around that time...
Nintendo never sent that one out to me, but I did receive one for Diddy Kong Racing. It was pretty awkward to watch even when I was nine. Even worse, my parents sat down and watched it with me to see just what kind of advertisement Nintendo had sent me. I don't think they were too impressed and I'm still amazed I eventually got the game.
Funny thing, the "aunt" in the Pokemon video shows up in this one too.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Trilby

Hello faggot lovers!
kiwifarms.net
Nintendo never sent that one out to me, but I did receive one for Diddy Kong Racing. It was pretty awkward to watch even when I was nine. Even worse, my parents sat down and watched it with me to see just what kind of advertisement Nintendo had sent me. I don't think they were too impressed and I'm still amazed I eventually got the game.
Funny thing, the "aunt" in the Pokemon video shows up in this one too.
Easy casting I suppose when you're dealing with the same company!

The Decimator

THE Hacker
kiwifarms.net
...I think I ate the bones.

I ATE THE BONES!

I ATE THE BONES!! :o

This failed pretty hard. As did the hashtag. Basically everything but KFC was tagged with it. Imagine all the inappropriate things you could use #iatethebones for. That's exactly what happened.
I remember these shitty commercials, but for a different reason. I’m a NASCAR fan, and it seemed like these commercials would pop up at every break during a race. They got so obnoxious to the point that several racing forums I visit started mocking them.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Back in 99 Church's Chicken rolled out an ad involving an old women burning down her house trying to make fried chicken. They made several sequels but it's the original one that's the most memorable. Unfortunately I could only find one of the later ones on YouTube after mentioning them to someone else, and the quality is shit to boot (fuck everyone who uses the "point recorder at screen" method to make recordings).

Trilby

Hello faggot lovers!
kiwifarms.net
Back in 99 Church's Chicken rolled out an ad involving an old women burning down her house trying to make fried chicken. They made several sequels but it's the original one that's the most memorable. Unfortunately I could only find one of the later ones on YouTube after mentioning them to someone else, and the quality is shit to boot (fuck everyone who uses the "point recorder at screen" method to make recordings).
There's always someone who still doesn't know or have the proper way to do it. Would've been great to see a decent copy of this ad up. I see a few of these here...
https://www.luerzersarchive.com/en/magazine/commercial-detail/churchs-chicken-26255.html
https://www.luerzersarchive.com/en/magazine/commercial-detail/churchs-chicken-26254.html

Surprised they had this ad.
https://www.luerzersarchive.com/en/magazine/commercial-detail/churchs-chicken-26256.html

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino