A few words about (public) vulgarity. - Aka: why you shouldn't cuss

Penis Drager

Pronouns: Fee/Fi/Fo/Fum
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty vulgar while posting here. I'm also pretty vulgar while speaking in public. So I'll be the first to admit that I'm a massive fucking hypocrite as I write this post. Let me start with an anecdote (okay, two):
Taking an Uber or Lyft home some time back from a friend's place after a night of heavy drinking, a Jamaican immigrant picked me up. I've always been the type to converse with the driver, especially while being as hammered as I was, and so I did. I mentioned to him at some point that a previous (black female) driver got excessively mad at me for referring to Indians as "curry niggers." Him, being black himself, responded: "why would you say that word when you know it would likely offend them?"
My inebriated reply was along the lines of "It's just a word, get over it." or something slightly less coherent than that.
He explained: "Words have power, and you WANT them to have power. If you use a powerful word needlessly, that word loses its power. And if you don't want your words to have power, why use them at all?" (paraphrase).
I didn't really process it at the time and we spent the rest of the ~30min ride talking about more cheerful things for the most part, but I did retain it.

The next day, His words reminded me of another guy I only met twice: he's a Seventh Day Adventist preacher who disdains any foul language. He was a bit of a male Karen who would scold you for any "bad word." One day, maybe a year prior, I heard a story about this guy (I'd like to tell you I was there but I'd be lying). He apparently was with a group who knew him well and knew to hold their tongue around him. It was him that dropped an "S-bomb." If it was anyone else, few would notice. Maybe a scolding from him would occur and that would be that. But HE said it.
This was apparently cause for everyone else in the group to stop what they were doing and see what was going on. He was apparently heated over something I don't remember the details of. But the point is that he was MAD and wanted EVERYONE to know it, and they did. If anyone else said "shit," nobody would care. But because it was uttered by a man who despised the word, it held that much more power.

The conclusion of all of this, and feel free to rate me dumb and autistic, is that words have power based on how you treat them (no shit). If you want your curses to hold the weight that they can, you're going want to avoid using them whenever possible. If you don't care how much power your words have, why use them at all?

Ensign

Mad at Star Wars
kiwifarms.net
I mean he's right in the sense that you should use curses sparingly if you want them to have weight when you do use them, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let a Jamaican of all people lecture me on how language should be used

Penis Drager

kiwifarms.net
I mean if a woman is acting like a dumb cunt then I'm going to call her a dumb cunt
I meant to hurt her feelings because she's being a dumb cunt
But if you call every dumb cunt a dumb cunt, then any particularly dumb cunt who knows your tendency to call dumb cunts dumb cunts will not feel the full force of being called a dumb cunt because the dumb cunt already knows you call any old dumb cunt a dumb cunt.
That's what I'm getting at here.

Penis Drager

kiwifarms.net
if you want to break a cussing habit, work retail, customer-facing positions

you'll either clean up your mouth or get fired with the quickness
Top kek. I worked as a gas station attendant for over three years and I could usually get away with saying "nigger" as long as there wasn't a nigger in the room.
The manager gave me a glowing review about how dependable and courteous I was only with the stipulation that I have a drinking problem that would sometimes affect my workflow after I left (she was quite blunt and honest about what she would say about me if I left her as a reference). Granted, that stipulation is probably why a lot of places that I applied for chose not to contact me. But my third favorite choice took me on so...

No Exit

From Death and Taxes
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But if you call every dumb cunt a dumb cunt, then any particularly dumb cunt who knows your tendency to call dumb cunts dumb cunts will not feel the full force of being called a dumb cunt because the dumb cunt already knows you call any old dumb cunt a dumb cunt.
That's what I'm getting at here.
Then you call them a fucking dumb cunt. Swears are like drugs, when they stop having the same effects just use more of them.

Murmur

Uncouth Twat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only time I've ever called someone a nigger directly was some white skinhead looking motherfucker wearing a leather jacket with a confederate flag on it, riding a motorcycle and who cut me off in traffic. 3 seconds after cutting me off we had to stop at a red light. I pulled up beside him, yelled: "YOU FUCKING NIGGER!" and he proceeded to lose his goddamn mind, likely more than an actual black person would have. The word had a shitload of power that day, but not related to how often/seldom it was used, but rather how often/seldom the recipient had been called it. And he hated black people.

💗Bitchstopher Columbitch💗

* unintelligible retard noises *
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The weight words hold should depend on circumstance. Saying douche while referring to a literal douche and calling someone a douche when they're bothering you are very different things, right? Same word, different meaning.

Likewise, currynigger said in a joking way and currynigger said in a way that's clearly intended to hurt should probably be interpreted differently.

I think it's better not to cuss around strangers because it's not worth potentially offending them.

Last edited:

Penis Drager

kiwifarms.net
The weight words hold should depend on circumstance. Saying douche while referring to a literal douche and calling someone a douche when they're bothering you are very different things, right? Same word, different meaning.

Likewise, currynigger said in a joking way and currynigger said in a way that's clearly intended to hurt should probably be interpreted differently.
Context matters of course. There was a time, on a slow work day, where I told my Hindu coworker: "[Hindu]! You... are a currynigger!"
His reply: "Fuck you, you're a white nigger."
I then feigned offense and responded with:
Fuck you
I am
a snownigger!
And we all just busted up laughing (Hindus are alright tbh).

Beyond that, though, "who you are" is part of the context. If the word "nigger" is expected to come out of your mouth, then "fuck you nigger" is going to have a lot less impact than if it came from someone that never said dirty words at all. Even if you meant it in an offensive way, it was expected if that's how you typically talk. So less offensive it is.

Some Manajerk

kiwifarms.net
I swear like a sailor under my breath or when I'm alone with a problem, but try to avoid it when i'm around other people.

When someone who used curses every other word starts cursing about a problem, it gets ignored since you're so used to them cursing that it has no impact.

When the polite boss who you've never heard curse before starts cursing about a problem, everyone realizes right off the bat that this is probably serious and they should pay attention.