A note on the continued usefulness of Brave -

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I haven't been paying much attention to FireFox recently, can anyone inform me on how they're shit? (both for politics and browser)
1583855238732.png

Among other things.

As for politics firing Brendan Eich, although the browser itself has been deteriorating visibly since its peak in 2008 or so. It's bloated as hell and slow and clunky, at least for what I usually do (lots and lots of tabs), and doesn't have dominance in plugins and extensions either. Chromium beats the shit out of it in every way and even garbage like Microsoft Edge has overtaken it.

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1181469

Among other things.

As for politics firing Brendan Eich, although the browser itself has been deteriorating visibly since its peak in 2008 or so. It's bloated as hell and slow and clunky, at least for what I usually do (lots and lots of tabs), and doesn't have dominance in plugins and extensions either. Chromium beats the shit out of it in every way and even garbage like Microsoft Edge has overtaken it.
Three of those browsers are Chromium-based. It's hardly surprising that Edge performs similarly to Chrome; as of January 15th it's basically Chrome with a different label slapped on it.

Brave at least adds a bunch of features to the Chromium core. I'm not sure what Edge adds.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Three of those browsers are Chromium-based. It's hardly surprising that Edge performs similarly to Chrome; as of January 15th it's basically Chrome with a different label slapped on it.

Brave at least adds a bunch of features to the Chromium core. I'm not sure what Edge adds.
It's obviously worrisome that the browser ecology is basically a monoculture (it makes exploits a lot easier for the bad guys including the government). But Firefox is no longer any kind of bulwark against that as it sucks.

Superman93

My Balls!
kiwifarms.net
Im not sure if it's just me but I don't like how buggy brave is especially with the BAT/rewards feature.
1583866020660.png

This is all the BAT I have collected and despite that it's still showing I have none. Also despite how many times I hit the verify wallet button it still refuses to do so primarily because I'm still receiving this bug.
1583866081934.png

For whatever reason my browser isn't able to connect to the Reward Server. This bug has been on my browser for months despite the countless "updates" they rolled out. Every other featured works fine on Brave (with the exception of the TOR extension messing up every now and then) but it's still disappointing on how this feature still to this day hasn't been fixed.

Dingo

kiwifarms.net
JetStream2 test results Brave vs Firefox.
Test system Core i5-4570, 16GB SDRAM, Linux.

Brave 111.121
Firefox 71.915

That's a huge difference, I'm guessing Brave is less bloated than Firefox.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dork Of Ages

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
If you're using an Android device that is rooted and fails the SafetyNet check, you will not be able to get ads or rewards.

As a workaround, it appears to be working with Magisk and the MagiskHide Props Config module installed and set with the proper device fingerprint.
update: it displayed 10 ads over a couple of hours then stopped. No new ads received in the last 16 hours or so.

edit: after toggling rewards on and off in settings, the ads returned.

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
JetStream2 test results Brave vs Firefox.
Test system Core i5-4570, 16GB SDRAM, Linux.

Brave 111.121
Firefox 71.915

That's a huge difference, I'm guessing Brave is less bloated than Firefox.

For some reason, this Tampermonkey userscript
JavaScript:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         Breaks JetStream 2 on Firefox
// @include      https://browserbench.org/*
// @run-at       document-start
// ==/UserScript==

new TextEncoder;
causes the UniPoker test to break, with the following error:
1583874599047.png

But only on Firefox. 🤷‍♂️

I have absolutely no idea why.

update: it displayed 10 ads over a couple of hours then stopped. No new ads received in the last 16 hours or so.

edit: after toggling rewards on and off in settings, the ads returned.
They have a secret recipe for how many ads are displayed and when. I think there's a limit to the number it'll display per day.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
Aside from the fact that there's plenty of searx instances, you can always try Qwant Lite

>implying I use Twitter/Facebook

>not using uMatrix

Also my complaints have nothing to do with how I like it, it has to do with the fact that you continue to shill for a browser that is documented for having multiple issues and ethical concerns (even a user on this very forum stated how it's Tor mode is shit)
Uphold also thinks a selfie is perfectly fine to use as ID. Until Brave gets their shit together I will never use it and at this rate they never will.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Uphold also thinks a selfie is perfectly fine to use as ID. Until Brave gets their shit together I will never use it and at this rate they never will.
Uphold requires KYC compliant information as per the USA PATRIOT Act. If you have an issue with banks needing to know their customer, you should be petitioning your government to repeal the USA PATRIOT Act.

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Im not sure if it's just me but I don't like how buggy brave is especially with the BAT/rewards feature.
View attachment 1181671
This is all the BAT I have collected and despite that it's still showing I have none. Also despite how many times I hit the verify wallet button it still refuses to do so primarily because I'm still receiving this bug.
View attachment 1181676

For whatever reason my browser isn't able to connect to the Reward Server. This bug has been on my browser for months despite the countless "updates" they rolled out. Every other featured works fine on Brave (with the exception of the TOR extension messing up every now and then) but it's still disappointing on how this feature still to this day hasn't been fixed.
Speculation as I'm sure KF users cover the full gamot of ad-blocking methods- do you use any sort of 3rd party software that might be blocking traffic to whatever the ad host is entirely- whether anti-virus software that could be intercepting the traffic, or any of the various software that block ads by adding a bunch of junk into your hosts file?

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
Uphold requires KYC compliant information as per the USA PATRIOT Act. If you have an issue with banks needing to know their customer, you should be petitioning your government to repeal the USA PATRIOT Act.
I was told by them that a selfie is sufficient ID. Hate to break it to you man, but it's not.

• Thunk-Provoking

Faster Than Chris Robin

The Unofficial Official Gab Updates Guy
kiwifarms.net
@Null I've seen you claim Brave supports mobile extensions before, but as far as I can tell that isn't true. Fennec and Firefox do, and they have extensions that give all the same functionality as Brave except the crypto.

Brave is probably the best desktop option, though, has built in Tor and easy use privacy toggles and whatnot.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
@Null I've seen you claim Brave supports mobile extensions before, but as far as I can tell that isn't true. Fennec and Firefox do, and they have extensions that give all the same functionality as Brave except the crypto.
You're right, they definitely had some sort of whitelist going on in the beta where you could use certain extensions on mobile but I don't see it anymore. The only extensions I use on mobile are adblock, which is 100% built in and works great, but LastPass, VPNs, etc are all handled by the OS.

Tags
None