A note on the continued usefulness of Brave -

Mr Himmler

Reichsminister für Arschlochbilder
kiwifarms.net
(because seeing websites cry about how I have ad block turned off makes me chuckle).
I get a sick pleasure from depriving certain types of companies of money or the ability to make money.
Musi lets you play YouTube in the background on iOS. It comes and goes on the App Store. It is currently on the App Store right now.
Thanks buddy, I downloaded it and works well. My only nitpick is that I can’t go fullscreen, effectively limiting it’s usefulness to audio centred content. I absolutely recommend it regardless.
A selfie with a state ID that you also have to scan. That's standard procedure for most crypto sites these days.
Yes, because it's still functioning as a bank. Cryptocurrency is real money.
This sort of thing definitely bothers me. Leave it to the government to stick their nose in wherever there is money to be made. Death and taxes, eh?
Is there a difference between American and non-Americans using brave?
I'm aware different countries get different ads.
I’m quite curious about this as wouldn’t it apply to VPN connections in non-serviced areas? If I, say, have my VPN set in Georgia or Switzerland, would that effectively snub out my BAT earning potential?

fuzakeru na

ふざけるな
kiwifarms.net
Brave also has Tor built in, and its rewards/tipping mechanism goes way beyond "they pay comission for each install."
I prefer to block ads with ublock origin + umatrix, rather than get spammed to death about how amazing a fork of chromium is just so the spammer can earn his 7 dollars 50 from the installation affiliate fee. If you watch anything online, you'll see how heavily everyone is spamming Brave for their install bux. Not because it's good or adds anything new to the field.

• Mad at the Internet
Reactions: Kosher Salt

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
I prefer to block ads with ublock origin + umatrix, rather than get spammed to death about how amazing a fork of chromium is just so the spammer can earn his 7 dollars 50 from the installation affiliate fee. If you watch anything online, you'll see how heavily everyone is spamming Brave for their install bux. Not because it's good or adds anything new to the field.
Nope, I can't say that I have seen that... I find that I see people talking about how awesome Brave is when I voluntarily click on topics with names like "A note on the continued usefulness of Brave," though.

welcometotherock

Chanticleer Hegemony
kiwifarms.net
Brave is nothing more than a chromium fork, adds absolutely nothing to the table except no need to install ublock origin. The reason everyone shills it? because they pay comission for each install
I'm a huge shill for Firefox, but even I can see the terminal fucking autism from here. Let's count the ways you're wrong:
- Brave's co-founder, Brendan Eich was actually CEO of Mozilla until 2010 (iirc). This isn't some project cooked up in some 15yo script-kiddie's basement.
- Brave's got an extensive list list of deviations from the base Chromium code.
- Brave's "shield" functionality is among the most comprehensive than uBlock because it also allows you to block scripts, trackers, ads, among other such things without breaking functionality on web pages. Also if I'm not mistaken, they also inject code to bypass that annoying anti-adblock blank screen some websites use to punish ad blockers.

The only real argument against Brave at this stage is whether or not it'll be affected by ManifestV3. To imply that Brave is nothing more than a Chromium fork is clear evidence you're talking out of your ass.

fuzakeru na

ふざけるな
kiwifarms.net
I'm a huge shill for Firefox, but even I can see the terminal fucking autism from here. Let's count the ways you're wrong:
- Brave's co-founder, Brendan Eich was actually CEO of Mozilla until 2010 (iirc). This isn't some project cooked up in some 15yo script-kiddie's basement.
- Brave's got an extensive list list of deviations from the base Chromium code.
- Brave's "shield" functionality is among the most comprehensive than uBlock because it also allows you to block scripts, trackers, ads, among other such things without breaking functionality on web pages. Also if I'm not mistaken, they also inject code to bypass that annoying anti-adblock blank screen some websites use to punish ad blockers.

The only real argument against Brave at this stage is whether or not it'll be affected by ManifestV3. To imply that Brave is nothing more than a Chromium fork is clear evidence you're talking out of your ass.
you shouldn't shill for anything Mozilla churns out in 2020 bruh. Firefox 3.0 was good.

Eich was viciously removed from Mozilla for wrongthink and wrongdonate. Eich is also the creator of shit that is almost 90% of the internets virus and malware infections even to this day. Brave's "shield" adds nothing. Brave is Chromium. With an added "opt in to our advertisements" system and a forced advertising system where they take money from creators that have never even heard of Brave or BAT.

Instead of "telling me the ways I am wrong" tell me one thing Brave does that any other browser not based on a shit Chromium base doesn't already do better? NoScript kills everything, uBlock Origin fucks off the ads, nano defender beats the anti adblock fucks. "brave shield" uses those very same lists.

It would be like me taking Debian source, adding in hostfile to block ads, trackers and cosmetics and repackaging it as Cumbuntu and then telling "influencers" I'll pay them 10 dollars for every one person they convince to install this shit. You can bet your ass everyone would be shouting from the roof tops how good it is.

fuzakeru na

ふざけるな
kiwifarms.net
I've already mentioned two.
neither of those are features worthy of installing yet another clone browser. Imagine thinking opting into advertising is a feature anyway.

almost exactly like you're saying you wish you had an email client that sends you lots of spam

• Mad at the Internet
Reactions: Bins

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
neither of those are features worthy of installing yet another clone browser. Imagine thinking opting into advertising is a feature anyway.

almost exactly like you're saying you wish you had an email client that sends you lots of spam
You're entitled to your opinion about those features, but I find them useful.

If the ads were annoying I'd disable them. I don't find them annoying.

Mooner

kiwifarms.net
Just made the switch and am really liking it so far. Is there a list of recommended extensions I should use? I basically am just using Last Pass and a universal dark mode at this point. AdNaseum seems good. Should I slap Ublock Origin on too?

ProtonMailMan

Chins? What chins?
kiwifarms.net
Stop using this site then because you also connect to Google to download fonts visiting here.

<link href="//fonts.googleapis.com/css?display=swap&family=Open+Sans:400,400i,700,700i|Quattrocento:400,700" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Just change it. I'm a privacy weirdo and I still use Google because all the other ones suck. I tried giving DDG, Yandex, whatever chances and they're just shit.

I've never seen ads on Twitter but I don't use Facebook. If you're so paranoid about privacy that you won't allow your computer to connect to fucking Google Fonts, but will use Facebook and Twitter, you're already a moron.

I also use AdNauseum in conjunction with Brave's privacy tools. I suggest doing that. Your complaints are that Brave is not how you'd like it out of the box which is bizarre.
I find your comments re Google search interesting. Google actively manipulates search results to boost lib and deboost conservative thought. This bias somes through even when one is doing what one would have assumed were totally non "political" searches. If Google in it's own mind has some notion that whatever you are looking for might return a non-woke result, you will get manipulated search results that are often virtually worthess. Just one man's opinion.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
I find your comments re Google search interesting. Google actively manipulates search results to boost lib and deboost conservative thought. This bias somes through even when one is doing what one would have assumed were totally non "political" searches. If Google in it's own mind has some notion that whatever you are looking for might return a non-woke result, you will get manipulated search results that are often virtually worthess. Just one man's opinion.
yes google manipulates results for a lot of things but I get what I want when I use it to search something. I actively look at alternatives and I have never met one that matches up. As Google continues to deteriorate itself to meddle in public policy, competitors will catch up, but until then it remains the only search engine that does what I expect of a search engine.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
yes google manipulates results for a lot of things but I get what I want when I use it to search something. I actively look at alternatives and I have never met one that matches up. As Google continues to deteriorate itself to meddle in public policy, competitors will catch up, but until then it remains the only search engine that does what I expect of a search engine.
I'd jump ship in a heartbeat but I check every new alternative that comes out and its results are either absolutely worthless or look like repackaged Google results from six months ago (which is probably what they are).

• Agree
Reactions: vertexwindi

Croco

Heh, heh...
kiwifarms.net
Switched to Brave, or at least away from Firefox thanks to this thread. I've used FF since approximately 2004 and never realized how bloated it became.
Regarding DuckDuckGo: the usefulness is in the bangs (!) search feature.
In your searchbar, ! is a shortcut to search various sites. For example "!archwiki xfce4" is a fast method to search the archwiki., !r for reddit, etc etc etc. Into this is the real usefulness. I also use google but through duckduckgo search "!g *". People never seem to mention the bangs feature of ddg, which is the ddg advantage over google.

Tags
None