A Popular YouTuber Read the Christchurch ‘Manifesto’ to Half a Million Subscribers - Yikes!

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
A Popular YouTuber Read the Christchurch ‘Manifesto’ to Half a Million Subscribers
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7xgkp4/a-diy-welding-youtuber-read-the-christchurch-manifesto-to-half-a-million-subscribers (http://archive.li/69eEL)
YouTube left the video online for over two days, allowing it to generate tens of thousands of views and spread to other channels.
By Joseph Cox

May 13 2019, 2:58pm

A popular farming, agriculture, and welding DIY YouTuber with more than 600,000 followers suddenly began posting openly white nationalist content on his channel and said he has been trying to subtly "red pill" his audience over the course of months. The YouTuber posted a video of himself reading the Christchurch shooter's "manifesto" and a second video in which he describes himself as a white ethno-nationalist. The hard pivot comes after the YouTuber spent a decade posting videos about welding troubleshooting, tractor repair, and "planting oats."

The new uploads come months after an attacker killed 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

As Motherboard previously reported, an internal Google email said moderating the so-called manifesto of the Christchurch attacker would be "particularly challenging," and told moderators to flag all material related to the attack as "Terrorist Content." But YouTube left this particular video online for over two days, allowing it to rake in tens of thousands of views; the company also first demonetized the video and put it behind a content warning, but did not immediately delete it.

Because the video and a follow-up that was also removed were allowed to get so many views, the YouTuber's pivot to far-right content has become a topic of conversation among other far-right YouTubers, who are praising him. Motherboard is not naming the specific YouTuber who posted the videos in order to avoid directing more people to the person's channel.

The news shows not only the failure of YouTube to keep clearly offending content off of its platform, even when users have already reported it for violating the site's policies, but also how popular YouTubers can be in an advantageous position to spread messages of hate if they choose to.

The YouTuber in question spent a decade posting 1,600 videos about welding and agricultural machinery, some of which have more than a million views.

While the YouTuber said that he doesn't "necessarily" support all of the attacker's actions, they veered off at several points to add his own thoughts in the video. In the video, he said he printed out the manifesto on the day of the attack, and was reading it for the purpose so others may have an easier time finding an "audiobook" version of the document.

After the Christchurch attacks, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter faced a wave of users trying to upload sections of or links to the full manifesto. Over a month afterwards, some videos of the attack were still available on social media sites. Google previously said in an email that non-Educational, Documentary, Scientific, or Artistic (EDSA) sharing of the manifesto is against the company's Community Guidelines. This means if the video is not EDSA in context, it should be marked as terrorist content and likely removed.

But YouTube originally flagged the reading video as "inappropriate or offensive to some audiences," seemingly after a number of user generated reports against the clip. On Monday, days after the upload, YouTube removed the clip for violating its Terms of Service.

In a second video uploaded shortly after the reading, the YouTuber made his views much more explicit, and defended his earlier upload.

"I've been a far-right, ethno-nationalist since about 2014 or so," he said, as well as a series of other hateful statements that violate YouTube's policies. While writing this piece, the second video was still online, with the disclaimer that "The following content has been identified by the YouTube community as inappropriate or offensive to some audiences." On Monday, YouTube removed the clip, and replaced it with the text "This video has been removed for violating YouTube's policy on hate speech," and a link to the site's policies.

"This example shows yet again how influencers play a crucial role in spreading white supremacist propaganda. This YouTuber already had hundreds of thousands of subscribers, so he was in a position of broadcasting power to spread ideas to his fans," Becca Lewis, a research affiliate at Data & Society who has researched YouTube's role in spreading such material, said in an online chat.

"Since he already had a sizeable fanbase, this creator could also point his audience to other platforms for viewing the content after YouTube removed it. When platforms are slow to respond in their content moderation practices, creators can take advantage of their cross-platform influence," she added.

The video of the reading and subsequent fallout has spread across YouTube and other sites, including Reddit. Other YouTube channels with a more explicit focus on white supremacy and hate are discussing and aggregating the video, with some including snippets from the original YouTuber's video itself. One far-right YouTuber suggested that the man "may have just jumped started the white awakening."

After a Motherboard investigation showed Facebook banned white supremacy while allowing white nationalism, the tech giant decided to ban support of the latter. Although this particular video of the Christchurch manifesto did violate YouTube's policies, the company previously refused to commit to banning white nationalism in general.

Google did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Update: This piece has been updated to include comment from Becca Lewis.
Since they don't want to name him, it's ChuckE2009:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckE2009
https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chucke2009/

The manifesto reading:
https://www.bitchute.com/video/es4dRqtXRtjo/

They're deleting my channel video:
https://www.bitchute.com/video/QVfgYYmcFo54/

Just A Butt

Lift me up, like a garage door.
kiwifarms.net
Some guy came here a day or so after it was posted, brand new account, and was claiming we should all watch it and get "red-pilled"

I guess he didn't know that most of us had already seen a copy. At least those of us interested enough to read it.

Anyway, he was a bit of a sperg, and somehow managed to get his shit pushed in within hours of making his account. Can't remember his name, but I'll add it here if I do. There was speculation that it was the Chuckster himself, but I don't think it was.

Eryngium

Fix animated profile pics @Null you gutless mothe
kiwifarms.net
Some guy came here a day or so after it was posted, brand new account, and was claiming we should all watch it and get "red-pilled"

I guess he didn't know that most of us had already seen a copy. At least those of us interested enough to read it.

Anyway, he was a bit of a sperg, and somehow managed to get his shit pushed in within hours of making his account. Can't remember his name, but I'll add it here if I do. There was speculation that it was the Chuckster himself, but I don't think it was.
a bit of a sperg seems like an understatement he posted 3 separate threads in 3 different areas and reee'd at everyone in the comments and screamed he was being censored because everyone was just calling him a re.tard.

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
a bit of a sperg seems like an understatement he post 3 separate threads in 3 different areas and reee'd at everyone in the comments and creamed he was being censored because everyone was just calling him a re.tard.
I think a lot of that comes from people not really being familiar with how forums operate compared to social media sites. For many of us here, we've been using message boards for 20+ years and some of us BBSes before that. Many of us understand you don't get instant attention (or even any attention) for something you post on a forum. Web 2.0 people seem to think if something doesn't gain traction or get immediate attention that it means to spam it more. It's sad but it's a predictable consequence of allowing the lowest common denominator access to the internet.

edit:. Apparently that wasn't the case, as Ride points out below. I do believe my post does point out an issue that's common on message boards though.

Last edited:

RetardedCat

javascript is the future, Josh.
kiwifarms.net
A popular farming, agriculture, and welding DIY YouTuber
I'm more surprised that a guy who appears to post about tractors and farming shit would have that many subscribers. I wonder what his demographics were, was it just a bunch of 60yo farmers looking to learn how to fix their tractors or maybe it was all the wives of all the farmers.
Either way I'm surprised these people would have access to the internet or know how to operate it.

Ride

Staff Member
Intelligence
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It wasn't the YouTuber. It was some dumbass who has made multiple accounts to spam links about Christchurch.

inception_state

kiwifarms.net
"This example shows yet again how influencers play a crucial role in spreading white supremacist propaganda. This YouTuber already had hundreds of thousands of subscribers, so he was in a position of broadcasting power to spread ideas to his fans," Becca Lewis, a research affiliate at Data & Society who has researched YouTube's role in spreading such material, said in an online chat.
Fuck off Soros.

Bad Headspace

Y e a h
kiwifarms.net
If it offends all these shitty newspapers and tech companies then I am fine with it.
Of course it's against the norms of youtube just to post random stuff on an already established channel.

I'm more surprised that a guy who appears to post about tractors and farming shit would have that many subscribers. I wonder what his demographics were, was it just a bunch of 60yo farmers looking to learn how to fix their tractors or maybe it was all the wives of all the farmers.
Either way I'm surprised these people would have access to the internet or know how to operate it.
You would be surprised how many actual old people are online. Just look at political facebook groups.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
I think a lot of that comes from people not really being familiar with how forums operate compared to social media sites. For many of us here, we've been using message boards for 20+ years and some of us BBSes before that. Many of us understand you don't get instant attention (or even any attention) for something you post on a forum. Web 2.0 people seem to think if something doesn't gain traction or get immediate attention that it means to spam it more. It's sad but it's a predictable consequence of allowing the lowest common denominator access to the internet.

edit:. Apparently that wasn't the case, as Ride points out below. I do believe my post does point out an issue that's common on message boards though.
You know, I've always wondered why some folks do that when they come here, and I think you're right on the money. Thanks for solving that enigma for me. As far as it not being the case, the guy still could have had the same mentality you just described even if it wasn't the guy who made the content he was spamming.

In regards to the article, it warms my heart to see concrete evidence that Silicon Valley doesn't yet have the absolute iron grip over the flow of information on the internet that they so desperately crave.

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
I found this interesting a few years ago about farmers using hacked John Deer software. It's from Vice, but it's a decent article:

Even some of the most rural communities have DSL access these days. I've got a couple of relatives in their 70s who live in the middle of nowhere and they watch YouTube shit about gardening and muscle cars. They've never been on the cutting edge of technology and never left for the "big city", yet the internet has even crept into their daily lives.

Sīn the Moon Daddy

🌙 Time and Tide
kiwifarms.net
Who cares? I used to watch this guy when I was learning to weld. It sucks seeing that he lost his mind. Oh well, Chuckles was always more enthusiastic than skilled anyway.

nonperson

I am imaginary
kiwifarms.net
I don't agree that the manifesto should be banned, just as I don't agree that we should ban the Quran or Mein Kampf.

If governments had any sense, they'd be pushing for it to be studied, debated and torn apart - not ban it. They're just using this as an opportunity to exert more control over social media and speech in general.

A bunch of them are about to have a nice meeting in Paris to achieve exactly just that: https://apnews.com/1b844de2f3cb49d69afb9b8604ba7983

This exceptional individual trying to redpill other exceptionals on youtube is frankly doing everyone a favor by stepping out into the open - at least nobody has to take a guess. It's an opportunity for saner people to change his mind. This should be a non-story. Instead, the supreme exceptionals that are about to convene in Paris will just use this guy to further their agendas.

M

MG 620

kiwifarms.net
Oh no! I opened a thread where someone mentioned the NZ manifesto. Am I banned from the Land of Sheep now?

This is a rather a non-event, but clickbait sites like Vice are going to clickbait this forever.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino