A Song Of Ice And Fire -

女鬼

人就是鬼、鬼就是人。
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Theon's just a bit of a prick, but the way he'll act later (or how he's just acted, fuck I forget chronology) is partly Ned's fault but mostly Balon's fault.

No spoilers here ('Cept for names I guess), Balon is worst Greyjoy. Asha is plenty clever for an island of insane wannabe vikings (though it helps her favourite uncle does what any seafaring power SHOULD do and gets rich through trade),

Victarion is...well, he's certainly stupid, but he's really good at killing people to death, and is not stupid in dangerous ways like Balon.

Aeron is just a harmless Dagon...sorry, Drowned God supporter.

As for Euron, I mean yeah, he's completely insane. Like horribly, but least he goes all the way with like, sorcery and stuff.
I really like the Greyjoys (yes, even Balon) because they're such a majestic trainwreck. Same for Cersei.

Jon has always bored me to tears though. I ended up skimming through a lot of the Wall chapters tbh.

The Lizard Queen

Lizard boobs. Your argument is invalid.
kiwifarms.net
Most of GRRM's writing is excellent, and the real star of the series is not the characters, but the setting itself. The world of ice and fire is absolutely immersive, believable, and inventive. It's the characters who sometimes stray into lazy waters.
Most of the time it's not noticeable, since the story revolves around the things GRRM is best at writing, like fighting, and subterfuge, and copious descriptions of different kinds of food... but its weaknesses can become obvious in the Dany chapters. That's when you sometimes get pulled out of the story and realize that it's being written by a 60 year old man trying to write a teenage girl. Fortunately the events surrounding her are interesting enough to make it worth it in the long run.

friedshrimp

028372n38934739473247219074
kiwifarms.net
I like it. I think GRRM spends too much time writing out details like scenery or food that could be cut out, though.

I like Cersei, but I can't stand Margery, at least in the show. Something about her annoys me for no reason.

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
the problem is that it used to be that if Gurm wanted to eat himself to death, he needed monies from the publisher. Because HBO paid him in solid gold toilets, he doesn't need to write anymore to live. He's still writing (because the books are his and he doesn't want to end it with the dreck D&D are putting out), but only as fast as a glacier.

I think winds will be done. A dream of spring is well, a dream.

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
the problem is that it used to be that if Gurm wanted to eat himself to death, he needed monies from the publisher. Because HBO paid him in solid gold toilets, he doesn't need to write anymore to live. He's still writing (because the books are his and he doesn't want to end it with the dreck D&D are putting out), but only as fast as a glacier.

I think winds will be done. A dream of spring is well, a dream.
There's rumors going around he's farted out so much detail for the series' end it might require an eighth book.

Sable

kiwifarms.net
That's quite likely too.

There's a lot of circles to close- it might depend on whether or not he's willing to have someone else finish the series a-la Robert Jordan. Of course, just because he's big and fat doesn't mean it's certain he'll die, just way more likely.

He could live to 100, with grease dribbling down his chin :optimistic:.

Lackadaisy

ZA FOOL
kiwifarms.net
That's quite likely too.

There's a lot of circles to close- it might depend on whether or not he's willing to have someone else finish the series a-la Robert Jordan. Of course, just because he's big and fat doesn't mean it's certain he'll die, just way more likely.

He could live to 100, with grease dribbling down his chin :optimistic:.
There's rumors going around he's farted out so much detail for the series' end it might require an eighth book.
Spoilers for the last ASOIAF book:

"And then Bran woke up, safe and warm in his bed. He had been found at the base of the tower, miraculously unharmed. It had all been a dream. A dream of ice and fire."

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
Spoilers for the last ASOIAF book:

"And then Bran woke up, safe and warm in his bed. He had been found at the base of the tower, miraculously unharmed. It had all been a dream. A dream of ice and fire."
I swear if he ends it that way I'm gonna go to Santa Fe and throw the book through the fat fuck's window.

Lackadaisy

ZA FOOL
kiwifarms.net
My favorite character is Roose Bolton, Just for how goddamn evil the character is.

In my house we say, "A naked man has many secrets, but a flayed man none."
Roose is smart evil. He makes himself useful to good regimes (presumably Ned Stark had no real evidence of his proclivities) and knows when it reign it in. Ramsay is stupid evil. Motherfucker doesn't know when to stop or that openly flaying people and abusing the "daughter" of the much beloved former rulers of your land probably isn't the best idea.

That being said, I like them both haha. But my heart will always belong to Tyrion Lannister. :feels:

Lackadaisy

ZA FOOL
kiwifarms.net
I liked the audiobooks, but Roy Dotrice gives Tyrion an over-the-top Welsh accent. "Nit fir all de ghoould in Casterly Rrrrock!"
I laughed so hard the first time that happened. It took awhile to get used to, where I'd have to read his lines in the book just to figure out what the hell he was saying.

I bet most of the "details" are stuff like George writing 1000 pages of food and trees and clothes.
"Yeah, yeah, dragons or whatever. Now let's talk about what everyone in the crowd of fleeing peasants was wearing!"

Sable

kiwifarms.net
Well, the Westerlands are a little Wales, what with the terrain and gold.

Dorne is a sort of Wales/Spain hybrid.

Dotrice says things in funny ways though, normally things like names.

But anyway, Roose is a pretty awesome villain, because he knows when to pull things back. Even if Robb hadn't been a colossal retard then I still think that Roose would have betrayed him, because Stannis was defeated on the blackwater and there's no-one left for the North + Riverlands to side with and the Reach brings an absurd amount of troops.

I still think book Ramsey will kill him ( considering that he claimed that Roose was 'killed by enemies' when there were none in the TV-verse, I think it's just something they took from the books without considering why)- everyone thinks he's stupid, but he's actually pretty clever... Book Ramsay is much more of an unsubtle brute than show Ramsey though, I think the TV people forgot about it.

As for food, there are actually fewer descriptions now. There were more before the WoT5K, but now when they're used it's to show food is running out (Winterfell whilst Stannis marches upon it) isn't as nice as it should be (The Twins, forshadowing the RW) or different (Dany, because she's in Harzoo-foodland so it's supposed to draw attention)

JohnSmith

kiwifarms.net
I read all the books and the side-stories, but I can't quite remember them all.

As much as I like them, they seem unrealistic to me. Bad things happen not in a real way but as a means to advance the plot - sort of a reverse Raymond Feist.

Pikimon

Exceptionally Overachieving Mexican
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, the Westerlands are a little Wales, what with the terrain and gold.

Dorne is a sort of Wales/Spain hybrid.
I always saw Westeros as a allegory for Western Europe as a whole with an overall flavor of the UK

Westeros
  • Dorne is Spain
  • The Reach is France
  • The Vale is Austria/Switzerland
  • The Riverlands is Poland/Czech Republic
  • The Westerlands is Germany/Netherlands
  • The North is Scandanavia
  • Beyond the Wall is Russia/Artic
Idk what the Stormlands or Crownlands are, im open to suggestions

Essos and Sothorys
  • The Northern half of the Free Cities are the Italian city states
  • The Southern half of the Free Cities are various parts of the Middle East
  • Valyria is the Fallen Roman Empire
  • Slavers Bay is Ancient Egypt/Carthaginians
  • Dothraki Sea is Hunnic Steppes in Central Asia
  • Qarth is Constantinople/Babylon
  • The Red Waste is Saudi Arabia
  • Great Moraq is India
  • Kayakayanaya, Shamyriana and Bayasabhad are the various -stans (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan)
  • Yi Ti is China
  • Leng is Taiwan
  • The Plains of the Jogos Nhai is Mongolia
  • Sothorys is Africa
  • Basilisk Isles and Summer Islands are various islands off the coast of Africa

Tags
None