A Song Of Ice And Fire -

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
There was supposed to be a Time Skip?

Darn I would have loved The Undead Robot Clegane to look like One Piece's Franky Post Time Skip design.
There was a sly reference to this in one of the books, Feast for Crows I believe, where Littlefinger says to Sansa that Cersei was fucking things up faster than he anticipated and expected to wait several years before that happened.

buying gf

fite me 1v1 wildy
kiwifarms.net
There was supposed to be a Time Skip?

Darn I would have loved The Undead Robot Clegane to look like One Piece's Franky Post Time Skip design.
Yes, it was meant to be a 5 year gap. GRRM scrapped it because while it made sense for a bunch of characters (particularly the Stark kids), it made absolutely no fucking sense for some characters like Stannis. Like he can't just spend 5 years freezing to death in the North.

There's some interesting theories about leftovers from the planned gap - I remember reading something about how Pretty Meris, a member of the Windblown, was meant to be post-time skip Brienne, who fled the Riverlands because she failed to find Sansa. They roughly match in appearance - blonde, tall, ugly, flat chested, scarred face. Obviously they're not the same person now, but its fun to think about.

RadicalCentrist

kiwifarms.net
The timeskip thing is an ancillary issue to the fact that GURM intended to write a single massive book, then a trilogy, then five books, then seven... The story kept expanding until its parts, especially from the early books, no longer fit with each other.

I would say the TV show was also a gamechanger but I just remembered the last book came out before the TV show even premiered, in 2011.

Jesus Christ GRRM.

• Feels
Reactions: Mister Dodo

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
Question for those who have read the GoTs books and not just watched the series:

My feeling from watching the series was that GRRM has an incredibly nihilistic world view and the ending of the series, in his vision, would be the white walkers wiping everyone out. This was partly due to the series and partly due to learning that GoT's was his attempt at writing a better LotRs.

Then I found out that the white walkers really arent much of a focus in the books at all, at least not as prominent as they are in the show.

Realizing how autistic my previous thoughts on this was, especially since I haven't read any of the books in Asoiaf, as people who have read them what is you're feeling on how the series would have ended in the books?

We all know GRRM isn't actually going to finish writing them.

• Feels
Reactions: Shield Breaker

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
Ok, to try and figure out the ending of ASOIF you need to know some things about GRRM.

1) He's always kind of hated war, and was a conscientious objector during 'Nam
2) He's a feminist. An old style one, not a modern colour-haired one.
3) None of his stories have had happy endings, but some are bittersweet.
4) A lot of his stories involve trickery and mind control
5) He's super into redheads.

I don't think anyone will get the throne, but if they do it's going to be Sansa.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Shield Breaker
Ok, to try and figure out the ending of ASOIF you need to know some things about GRRM.

1) He's always kind of hated war, and was a conscientious objector during 'Nam
2) He's a feminist. An old style one, not a modern colour-haired one.
3) None of his stories have had happy endings, but some are bittersweet.
4) A lot of his stories involve trickery and mind control
5) He's super into redheads.

I don't think anyone will get the throne, but if they do it's going to be Sansa.
Honestly I think it will end as the polar opposite of the TV show, the Kingdom Dissolve into the Seven Kingdoms as it probably should have done after Robert's Rebellion,

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I think it will end as the polar opposite of the TV show, the Kingdom Dissolve into the Seven Kingdoms as it probably should have done after Robert's Rebellion,
I think you're probably right.

No-one getting the throne seems like the sort of ending he'd do. No-one has the throne, and it'll probably lead to some wars down the line, but it'll probably be better in the long run. If we're being honest the centre of power in Westeros should be the Reach, but that's not really on-topic for how the story will end.

Oh and I forgot: 6) He writes about unrequited love because he was cucked long ago but she wanted to remain friends.

Disgruntled Pupper

Thuuder only happens wlen its raisinl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Question for those who have read the GoTs books and not just watched the series:

My feeling from watching the series was that GRRM has an incredibly nihilistic world view and the ending of the series, in his vision, would be the white walkers wiping everyone out. This was partly due to the series and partly due to learning that GoT's was his attempt at writing a better LotRs.

Then I found out that the white walkers really arent much of a focus in the books at all, at least not as prominent as they are in the show.

Realizing how autistic my previous thoughts on this was, especially since I haven't read any of the books in Asoiaf, as people who have read them what is you're feeling on how the series would have ended in the books?

We all know GRRM isn't actually going to finish writing them.
While watching the final I remember thinking that there were some things that seemed like they would be in the book ending as well and some things that seemed purposefully changed so that old Georgie could still claim the two works as separate.

The war with the white walkers and Arya killing the night king seemed like a total cluster fuck and I think the show writers were the primary and possibly only input into it. I didn't really glean any insight into what George plans to do with them from the show, but I just don't think it's that.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I do think Daenerys becoming a mad queen is 100% going to happen. The books repeatedly go back to how fucking batshit the Targaryens are, how they either rise to greatness or fall to tyranny, and Daenery has already shown signs of snapping when she encounters highly stressful situations or particular brutalities.

In the middle is the idea of Tyrion & Co. effectively creating a elective monarchy. In the books a lot of people spend a lot of time talking about how frustrating it is to tard wrangle a king or even lords, how that system of leadership has serious flaws, and what to do about it. The logical conclusion, and what happened in real life during the time period George bases ASoIaF on, is a curtailing of the power of the monarchy and destruction of the feudal system. Whether the plan is and was to have Westeros jump straight into "Voteing for a king lmao!" or maybe something smaller in scale but that hints towards the idea of progression to a democratic state, I have no idea.

You should also keep in mind that there's a whole slew of characters in the books who don't even appear in the show, and some of them have some crazy shit that seems pretty important going on. How their stories will be resolved and how they will affect the ending remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
While watching the final I remember thinking that there were some things that seemed like they would be in the book ending as well and some things that seemed purposefully changed so that old Georgie could still claim the two works as separate.

The war with the white walkers and Arya killing the night king seemed like a total cluster fuck and I think the show writers were the primary and possibly only input into it. I didn't really glean any insight into what George plans to do with them from the show, but I just don't think it's that.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I do think Daenerys becoming a mad queen is 100% going to happen. The books repeatedly go back to how fucking batshit the Targaryens are, how they either rise to greatness or fall to tyranny, and Daenery has already shown signs of snapping when she encounters highly stressful situations or particular brutalities.

In the middle is the idea of Tyrion & Co. effectively creating a elective monarchy. In the books a lot of people spend a lot of time talking about how frustrating it is to tard wrangle a king or even lords, how that system of leadership has serious flaws, and what to do about it. The logical conclusion, and what happened in real life during the time period George bases ASoIaF on, is a curtailing of the power of the monarchy and destruction of the feudal system. Whether the plan is and was to have Westeros jump straight into "Voteing for a king lmao!" or maybe something smaller in scale but that hints towards the idea of progression to a democratic state, I have no idea.

You should also keep in mind that there's a whole slew of characters in the books who don't even appear in the show, and some of them have some crazy shit that seems pretty important going on. How their stories will be resolved and how they will affect the ending remains to be seen.
Upon learning of some of the characters the show is missing my opinion on Mad Queen Danny changed. I can see how that's a good bet on how it ends the show runners shot themselves in the foot.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

The-Patriarchy

Objectivity is Racist
kiwifarms.net
I think some version of Danaerys loding it and going full Mad Queen is in GRRM's intended ending, but will end up making much more sense than what we got in the show. (She won't "kinda forget" that the ruthless pirate king who is her worst enemy's primary ally has a fleet of warships among other nonsensical things!).

I don't think they got much right about Jon other than the obvious R+L=J part. In the show he seemed to spend most of the time in the last two seasons wandering around aimlessly and being sullen while waiting for the big action sequences to happen instead of having a clear purpose and motivation.

Arya ending the Freys seems plausible, but much the rest of her story in the show seemed like they were just making sure she got somethign to do in each episode until they could have her stab the NK.

Bran the King? Doubt it. If anything, he'll end up fulfilling the whole "there must always be a stark in winterfell" thing by embracing his role as the three-eyed raven and merging with the weirwood in winterfell.

Who will be king? who knows. Give it to Gendry for all I care... Maybe Kings landing gets sacked and never recovers and Winterfell ends up being the seat of power once things are settled with the White Walkers.

Jorah... dunno about him- he's probably keep simping for Dany and eventually have to be put down by Jon Snow using his own father's sword- maybe?

The hound? he'll live, but end up in a "non traditional marriage" with Tormund or something, just because in the post-2020 world someone has to end up gay aside from Loras (dead) and Renly (dead)- and dead gays that don't have a happily ever after will get you cancelled.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't use the show as a basis for speculating on the books because 1) D&D are literal retards and care more about their version than remaining true to the books, 2) I doubt George planned far enough ahead to give D&D anything but the broadest possible outline of the story, 3) George has probably (and also admittedly) changed him mind on certain plot points while working on TWoW.

Honestly, I don't care how the books end. I just want to watch the fireworks.

In other news, bask in the poetic irony of GRRM being cancelled for mispronouncing a name after spending a decade fighting that evil racist Vox Day:

EeZms9SU8AA08d7.jpg

EeZmuRPU8AAYXMR.jpg

Tags
None