A VPN+streaming idea -

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I'm almost certain it is illegal in some way, but I don't know how.
The idea is to set up a server farm in some third world country and buying as many rights to broadcast for films/series as you can afford (for a very large span of time) using the fact that the media monopolies will sell them at a fraction of the price because it is a third world country.
Then you launch the streaming service coupled with a VPN with a *wink,wink,nudge,nudge* that you can totally set it to Myanmar and watch movies that are locked behind several streaming services.

• Dumb
Reactions: zedkissed60

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
what would be the point of this?

anybody who wants to pirate stuff can already do so for free
It's still has the benefit of streaming so you don't need to download the files beforehand and as long as it is borderline legal people would prefer it over paying multiple corporations.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DumbDude42

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You seriously think you're the first person to think of this?
I'm pretty sure mp3.com tried that with music way back in the early post-Napster days, using Russia as the "third-world country". It fooled nobody.

• DRINK!
Reactions: zedkissed60

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
This is well beyond the skills of like 90% of computer users and everyone else will just pirate their shit.

Yes, I really do mean 90%, most users are not capable of dragging a ovpn file into program files. You learn that pretty quickly when you become designated "computer guy" at a small workplace.

Coffee Shits

Hardcore
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Interesting idea but if the user can't punch in "questionably free movie streaming dot com" into their phone without any additional setup it's dead in the water. They'll just go to Netflix because it's easy and convenient.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
There's already many sketch FREE movie/tv streaming sites that should preferably run in a virtual machine... There's also Popcorn Time. People actually think Popcorn Time is legit and not piracy.

Tags
None