Agriculture Thread - Doomers Welcome

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing. Emails (registration / password reset) appear to be working; be sure to check spam.

THE MERGE IS ON.

Hecate

My skin crawlith
kiwifarms.net
My grandparents and great grandparents were farmers when they moved to America from Italy. My Dad was big into gardening and as I grew older I wanted to do more than just garden but less than a production farm. One of the neat things my ancestors left is really simple and makes planting a lot easier. It's just an old broomstick with notches cut into it at varying points. And the notches are to indicate how deep you need to plant specific types of seeds. It's a elegant solution to what is otherwise an important part of growing crops. And it speeds the process up considerably.

I stopped using the original one a season after my Dad gave it to me. But I copied the marks and made a new one with some additions for my own tastes. So yeah. A stick. Get one!
would you mind posting pictures of the old one, or the new one you made? that sounds super useful, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what it looks like from your description.

as for me, I breed rabbits. wanted to get into it for a while, but covid happening was a good push for me to start. as of now I only have a herd of 4 because of city laws and my lack of space, but I figure starting out small is a good way to learn the ins and outs. I'm still in the red on my initial investment, but I have a pretty steady stream of buyers interested in breeding stock.

right now I'm trying to figure out extra revenue streams from my hobby herd. I'm thinking of starting some small scale parchment production after making a successful test batch

Radical Cadre

kiwifarms.net
would you mind posting pictures of the old one, or the new one you made? that sounds super useful, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what it looks like from your description.

as for me, I breed rabbits. wanted to get into it for a while, but covid happening was a good push for me to start. as of now I only have a herd of 4 because of city laws and my lack of space, but I figure starting out small is a good way to learn the ins and outs. I'm still in the red on my initial investment, but I have a pretty steady stream of buyers interested in breeding stock.

right now I'm trying to figure out extra revenue streams from my hobby herd. I'm thinking of starting some small scale parchment production after making a successful test batch
Well, I won't post actual pictures because I'm not about to be doxed by a broomstick, but I can give you a decent facsimile:

broom.png

It is pretty straightforward. It's the butt end of a broom stick (or a stick or any kind of durable shaft) with notches cut into the side to indicate the depths that certain seeds prefer. I have represented the "notches" with black lines. But you can take a knife and simply cut them into the material with very little effort. Some seeds like to go deeper while some have barely any soil on top of them at all. So one notch may be corn while another may be tomatoes. You can research which seeds like which depths and if you need to, you can create your own markings to know which is which.

Hope that helps!

Hecate

My skin crawlith
kiwifarms.net
Well, I won't post actual pictures because I'm not about to be doxed by a broomstick, but I can give you a decent facsimile:

View attachment 2153960

It is pretty straightforward. It's the butt end of a broom stick (or a stick or any kind of durable shaft) with notches cut into the side to indicate the depths that certain seeds prefer. I have represented the "notches" with black lines. But you can take a knife and simply cut them into the material with very little effort. Some seeds like to go deeper while some have barely any soil on top of them at all. So one notch may be corn while another may be tomatoes. You can research which seeds like which depths and if you need to, you can create your own markings to know which is which.

Hope that helps!
Thanks! I have a broken broom laying around so I'll use that. tho I have to ask, what is up with the picture lol

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
So. Chickens.

Next year I want to add some chickens to the homestead aspect of my farm. I know almost nothing about the chuggun before it reaches the fridge.

I'd like to get a dual-purpose breed, perhaps just starting with a few hens, to provide eggs and, if they cease to amuse me with their chickeny ways, meat. Fully possible I won't be able to kill them any more than I could my meat goats, but eggs I can collect and eat.

I live in the Cross Timbers region of Texas. I am happy to build suitable structures for the chickens to roost in, but I would prefer they make a living for themselves as much as is reasonable. Are chickens good for controlling pests in gardens or orchards? What breeds should I consider? Is buying the cute little chicks at Tractor Supply or the Co-op a bad idea?

I know n o t h i n g. Any real world experience is much appreciated. Compare my earlier sperging about goats and you will see that mean this.

Hecate

My skin crawlith
kiwifarms.net
So. Chickens.

Next year I want to add some chickens to the homestead aspect of my farm. I know almost nothing about the chuggun before it reaches the fridge.

I'd like to get a dual-purpose breed, perhaps just starting with a few hens, to provide eggs and, if they cease to amuse me with their chickeny ways, meat. Fully possible I won't be able to kill them any more than I could my meat goats, but eggs I can collect and eat.

I live in the Cross Timbers region of Texas. I am happy to build suitable structures for the chickens to roost in, but I would prefer they make a living for themselves as much as is reasonable. Are chickens good for controlling pests in gardens or orchards? What breeds should I consider? Is buying the cute little chicks at Tractor Supply or the Co-op a bad idea?

I know n o t h i n g. Any real world experience is much appreciated. Compare my earlier sperging about goats and you will see that mean this.
personally I would go with the cheapest breed you find in your area to start with. this might be the tractor supply ones, a local Hatcher or co-op. you don't want to get some really expensive heritage breed and then lose them to a mistake.
chickens are pretty good for pest control, but they also love eating greens so if you have a garden you may have to take steps to keep them out. you can also feed them egg but try not to feed eggshell (ground eggshell is fine) because they might start eating their own eggs. this is only really an issue if they are calcium deficient though, so if you feed them a complete feed or supplemental calcium then it shouldn't be an issue. once they have the habit of eating their own eggs it's pretty hard to get them to stop though.
even if you keep them outside you'll still want some sort of structure for them to roost, lay in, or run under if theres a hawk flying around. do you have any preditors in the area? raccoons can be a bitch. not a huge issue if you have a guard dog though

shameful existence

see you on a dark night
kiwifarms.net
Is rehoming hens from commercial egg farms a thing in America? It's getting very popular in Europe. Probably not a way to go if your main focus is the highest possible production, but it is not a purely altruistic act either - people have had decent results with them, on top of the ♥️ aspect.

Hecate

My skin crawlith
kiwifarms.net
Is rehoming hens from commercial egg farms a thing in America? It's getting very popular in Europe. Probably not a way to go if your main focus is the highest possible production, but it is not a purely altruistic act either - people have had decent results with them, on top of the ♥️ aspect.
there are, but it can be a crapshoot depending on the area. where I live there's a lot of animal rights activists involved heavily with rehoming commercial hens and they are batshit insane. I would recommend investigating heavily before taking this route

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
Predators are legion in the area. I've seen bobcat and badger tracks, I hear coyotes every night, and I'm told there's a puma around. Though in my experience you can go anywhere in Texas and people will claim to have seen a mountain lion, probably even Galveston. Many raptors as well. We have Livestock guardian dogs, but they're goat defenders, and allegedly chicken eaters. I'll definitely need a predation control program; it's one of the reasons I'm giving myself a year to put it all together.

Thanks for the catch about them eating greens! Probably not a huge threat to the apple trees, but I'll need to plan a way to keep them from the vegetables.

I had no idea they would eat their own eggs. That's heinous. That's a chicken for the pot.

My biggest concern about cheap cheeps is them coming with some sort of disease. Clearly I need to know more about chicken diseases. Vaccines? I drew blood on a bird, once, and it was nerve-wracking.