AI Dungeon applies filter to ban child sexual content, Redditors and Discord users most affected

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

eternal dog mongler

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1623272147034.png

hmm.

Dead Memes

Molag Ballin'
kiwifarms.net
I am now 100% convinced that someone is deliberately trying to kill the service. Their new rules essentially ban everything the AI is capable of generating beyond snipets of code and gibberish. I bet they are hemorrhaging money way faster than previously thought or openAI is trying to force AI dungeon off their supercomputer so better paying customers can use it.

Articuno4

kiwifarms.net
I am now 100% convinced that someone is deliberately trying to kill the service. Their new rules essentially ban everything the AI is capable of generating beyond snipets of code and gibberish. I bet they are hemorrhaging money way faster than previously thought or openAI is trying to force AI dungeon off their supercomputer so better paying customers can use it.
This could be it. I read somewhere that the Dragon model (GPT-3) costs them a hell of a lot of money, a lot more than they make in subscriptions. Still, I think the reception would have been better if they simply admitted they couldn't afford it anymore, allowed people to download their stories and then pulled the plug. Or hell, just keep the shittier, cheaper AI.

eternal dog mongler

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This could be it. I read somewhere that the Dragon model (GPT-3) costs them a hell of a lot of money, a lot more than they make in subscriptions. Still, I think the reception would have been better if they simply admitted they couldn't afford it anymore, allowed people to download their stories and then pulled the plug. Or hell, just keep the shittier, cheaper AI.
I assume it just costs way too much to run.

One of the data analysts here was trying to come up with a GPT-3 solution for billing and coding based on transcription from clinical notes. The model didn't work right half the time and also it'd cost more than my whole salary to actually run the fucking thing so we just dropped it.

Jimjamflimflam

kiwifarms.net
They're lurking through reddit, confirmed. One of the arguments is AI dungeon is being used as a therapy of some sorts and they laid this out.

View attachment 2247529

Fuck you poor fags. Maybe get betterhelp if you're too poor for an actual professional.

Seriously what a bummer for alot of people. I never used it like and while I don't think using something as unpredictable as Dungeon AI is the best therapist for serious problems, I can see how journaling with a AI buddy can help alot of people with low level issues. Willing to bet most issues are just needing someone to talk to but are to embarrassed too.

The general guess is on Alan, I believe Nick (aka Mormon) brother. He used to run a company called VidAngel that had software that allowed users to skip profanity, violence and sex in hollywood movies for a wholesome family viewing experience.

If i understood the court docs right, it got sued into oblivion because he was copying and selling these movies believing the Family Movie Act was protecting him.

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, the Novel AI people recently put out a blog post concerning the status of their project, having just cleared closed alpha. @Drain Todger, if you or anyone else have any insight on the relevant parts listed below that haven't already been discussed, I'm sure that would be of interest:

Features

AI

NovelAI is powered by the GPT-Neo model we finetuned, codenamed Calliope. It has been trained on quality writing and novels, as a result, its generation capabilities are enhanced over the main model. We iterated and tested a lot of different datasets and different training hyperparameters to create this model.

We allow use of the full capacity of the AI’s memory: 2048 tokens. An average token in English is equal to ~4 characters, making for about 8000–9000 characters. For comparison, AI Dungeon’s memory had a hard 2800 character limit which makes around average 700 tokens.

This means the AI will be able to remember events from further ago, as illustrated above.

We also optimized our models for generation speed and quality. Depending on the load and how many tokens you want to generate, it should be quite fast, even with a full 2048 token memory. We’re trying to optimize this even further during the beta.

Memory, author’s note and easily viewable context history

Memory and Author’s Note helps you direct the AI towards your creative goals by affecting style and context information. The AI model operates on tokens and NAI can only work with a limited amount of them. As a result, the author’s note, memory, and your story’s context all share the same token pool.

As you write text in memory or Author’s Note, it will actually show how many tokens you spent so far, so you can optimize your token usage without having to use third-party tools. You can also view exactly what is sent to the AI for the next generation request.

Encryption and Storage

Your stories are stored in your browser by default, and you may choose to store your story in encrypted form on our servers so you have it available on all your devices.

Stories are locally encrypted with AES-256 before being sent to our servers, which means the stories are never sent to us in plain text and no one can access your stories without your encryption key, which we do not store in any way.

Encryption

Your story data is stored on our servers only in encrypted form. Each story has its own encryption key, which is locally generated and stored in your personal keystore. This keystore is then encrypted with your encryption key before being sent to the server.

Your encryption key and decrypted keystore never leave your device! This means that nobody, not even us, has access to your stories.

Upon logging in, an auth token and an encryption key are locally generated from your username and password. The auth token is sent to the server to retrieve your user data and encrypted keystore, which is then decrypted by your encryption key.

0*CaE43VOfNaUq_V12

When fetching a remotely stored story, its encryption key is taken from your locally decrypted keystore to decrypt it.

0*ApBz6H6oWeWK_fZk

GPU handling and nodes

NovelAI doesn’t use API providers like Hugging Face or Inferkit, our models run on cloud GPUs we’re handling on our side. We have a dynamic scaler that can scale up from 1 GPU to as many as we need for our users, and it is possible to host many models and bigger models than what we have right now as they come out.

Finetune

Our finetuned model Calliope is trained on curated literary works and other quality writing. We will keep finetuning this model as new data is provided by our community volunteers, as well as experiment on ways to make the model and the dataset perform better.

Calliope is based on GPT-Neo 2.7B and finetuned for generating quality storytelling. We made around 10 different training runs with different hyperparameters and datasets to experiment, and we have seen significant improvement in perplexity and loss in our evaluation datasets for storytelling.

Closed Alpha ended​

We had a closed alpha this week, and it ended 3 days ago. We collected tons of valuable feedback from the testers, and we are excited to share some of the usage data we’ve seen during the alpha.

We had around 100 alpha users and processed 40005 actions in the 3 day alpha period. This totals up to 2 million generated tokens!

It’s been a month since we started this project and it was really a wild ride. Thanks to everyone who supported us with their suggestions, feedback, or simply by being here with us and believing in the project.

That actually covers just about everything of importance that distinguishes NovelAI from AI Dungeon.

AI Dungeon’s Dragon ran on a very sophisticated 175 billion parameter GPT-3 model that could only really run on racks of Volta or Ampere deep-learning GPUs. NovelAI uses GPT-Neo and it has 2.7 billion parameters.

Because the model is so much smaller, it can run on a consumer-grade high-end video card with like 12 or 24 gigs of VRAM. This puts a lot less stress on NovelAI's data center. And really, that's the main dividing line, there; NovelAI is using their own big iron, rented or whatever, not simply making API calls to OpenAI's data centers like Latitude's app. Also, NovelAI's solution includes encryption for stories, unlike Latitude, where the stories were stored in plain text on their server. As in, basically no security at all.

Because they finetuned GPT-Neo with good books and not bullshit CYOA web originals, it might actually output better prose than AI Dungeon, despite the lower complexity of the neural network. It depends on the desired application, really.

Surprise, everyone! There's been a new update to AI Dungeon, and a bunch of new things are banned now. "Violent actors and/or acts" is pretty vague. And wouldn't gore cover most of the stuff the AI randomly generates that ends with your character randomly being murdered for no reason? I imagine the expanded filter for this stuff, when it's put in, is going to hit a hell of lot more than it intended.
View attachment 2247441
View attachment 2247490

TWO: RESPECT THE PRIVACY AND BOUNDARIES OF OTHERS​

If a user blocks you, respect that boundary and do not circumvent it (such as by creating new accounts hiding your identity). You also may not share or threaten to share someone’s personally identifiable information or private content without permission. See Harassment in our Content Policy for more information.

I love how their policies talk about "respecting the privacy and boundaries of others", when they don't respect the privacy or the boundaries of their customers.

Fuck you poor fags. Maybe get betterhelp if you're too poor for an actual professional.

Seriously what a bummer for alot of people. I never used it like and while I don't think using something as unpredictable as Dungeon AI is the best therapist for serious problems, I can see how journaling with a AI buddy can help alot of people with low level issues. Willing to bet most issues are just needing someone to talk to but are to embarrassed too.

Judging by the comments I'm seeing on Reddit, a lot of people used AI Dungeon essentially as a private journal and were extremely freaked out that Latitude and OpenAI were reading all their shit.

AI Dungeon is currently at 1.9 out of 5 on Google Play. Its score on Apple's app store hasn't budged much, because they're deleting negative reviews on there.

Jimjamflimflam

kiwifarms.net
So today is the release of the savior of AI assisted writing, NovelAI. I'm sure it will be hit by a rush of coomer prompts at its official debut but at least a new generator is in town.

Haven't tried holo but the entire story of tranny discord getting butthurt at being kicked of novel and making their own to spite novel is funny. Need to confirm the actual progression of events though.

Still can't believe how much Mormon and crew managed to so badly mishandle what should have been a license to print money. All he had to do was play middle man between OAI and the user while optimizing interactions to lower costs but because of his dream of never ending zork and mormon ethos it was absolutely ruined. How are you suppose to have a persistent game when the AI can only remember so many turns back?

BlazikenLover

Cock lover was taken
kiwifarms.net
Haven't tried holo but the entire story of tranny discord getting butthurt at being kicked of novel and making their own to spite novel is funny. Need to confirm the actual progression of events though.
Could you ellaborate on this? It's been a few weeks since I've read about the drama and I do not recall the bit about trannies.

Jimjamflimflam

kiwifarms.net
Could you ellaborate on this? It's been a few weeks since I've read about the drama and I do not recall the bit about trannies.
Might have been a 4chan meme about the nature of discord abd all the tranny jannies it attracts.

But from my, possibly wrong, recollection the user CN was a mod (OP? Whatever it's called) in the NovelAI discord running their mouth with wrong info. They got the boot by the NovelAI people.

Shortly after a lot of shit talking on NovelAI started, about how it's not good, a grab the money and run situation, etc. Then Holo was announced with CN being involved.

Holo launched, rushed and shitty in a attempt to beat novel to being the first alternative to AI dungeon. They say it might be good now but the little bit i messed with was no impressive.

I remember seeing a breakdown post about what happened with Holo launch and why it failed at the AI dungeon reddit but couldn't make sense of the players and situation involved.

ksivy

kiwifarms.net
A buddy of mine bought the highest tier Novel account and gave me access to it for a bit. The AI itself is not that great, but I expected something worse, like AID Classic worse. It's better than classic, but only by a small margin. It feels like dumbed down (old) Griffin and really needs to be schooled on more content, because it's quite limited in it's outputs.
I'm really curious in how it'll turn out and if I'll get to fuck around on something that could rival the old AID Dragon model in the near future.
And the interface is pure mess.

Have any of you also tried it?

Ruber

I have a plan, it includes you!
kiwifarms.net
I've also tried it using the cheapest tier and while I mostly agree with you, I think there's a chance that Novel will make it to AID level someday. The team is already working on another thing that improves on the version we're using now which users claim is in-between Griffin and Dragon in terms of quality. It's not as bad as one would expect and at least the devs are intent on improving for now.

Jimjamflimflam

kiwifarms.net
A buddy of mine bought the highest tier Novel account and gave me access to it for a bit. The AI itself is not that great, but I expected something worse, like AID Classic worse. It's better than classic, but only by a small margin. It feels like dumbed down (old) Griffin and really needs to be schooled on more content, because it's quite limited in it's outputs.
I'm really curious in how it'll turn out and if I'll get to fuck around on something that could rival the old AID Dragon model in the near future.
And the interface is pure mess.

Played very briefly on the midlevel account. Will try it out a bit more on the weekend. Had to do more tard wrangling then I'd like as it would constantly bring in people who weren't suppose to be in the scene i was writing.

Though to be fair I was using short sentences and not fully using the options so probably didn't give the AI much to work with.

As long as they keep developing it, I don't mind the price to support it.

ksivy

kiwifarms.net
I got to play it a bit more, especially after their recent patch to Sigurd model, which is still being worked on and is only available to their Opus tier from what I can tell.
In regards to my last post, it turned out that I had Sigurd disabled, so it wasn't as accurate as it should be. That's my bad.
Now with Sigurd I can say with all honesty that it's not that bad. Yes, it still needs to be schooled on more examples, but it's a lot more coherent than before.

The AI still has troubles with differentiating between characters it creates. For example: I can be speaking with an innkeeper, ask a question and then the same innkeeper says that "it's a question only our innkeeper can answer". AI then proceeds to take me to the other innkeeper it just created while forgetting completely about the first one and acts like I was talking to the one-and-only innkeeper this entire time.
I tried it with both, short and long, overly-detailed inputs and it works quite well with all the crap you come up with for your messages.
I also converted one of my previous long-term scenarios with a metric shit-ton of world-info into it and it handled it very nicely. It bloated my token usage a bit, but I never maxed out on them.

After fiddling a bit with the settings (which are very welcome) I managed to mitigate the random, strange bullshit while also retaining some 'normal' randomness.

I'm not ready to get aboard the hype-train just yet, but my hopes are a bit higher. It's still so early in the development, but managed to be actually fun for the time I got to play around with it. It still has a lot of room for improvement, and judging by their discord they are very passionate with it, at least for now.
We'll see how it'll turn out, but I think I'll consider buying their Opus tier for a month to test it a bit further and to stop hogging someone's account all the time.

ksivy

kiwifarms.net
Okay you can't fuck children but the most important question is: can you kill them?
Going by what's been posted on reddit recently - No, unless the child is your arch-enemy and you won't disembowel it too much.
Latitude came out with a controversial revised content policy, and I feel like it's being widely misinterpreted as much more restrictive than it actually is. This wasn't helped by the fact that some key parts of the policy are really poorly communicated and easily misunderstood. The following is my understanding after closely reviewing the content policy:

Simplified summary of what you can do:

• Violence against others.
  • Gore, as long as it isn't trivializing, encouraging it (this is a weird one and hard to understand where the line is).
  • NSFW content, including BDSM, non-consensual, furry, etc.

Simplified summary of what what you can not do:

• Glorifying/supporting/encouraging/trivializing terrorism.
  • Glorifying/supporting/encouraging/trivializing hate crimes or similar hate (eg. race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc). It sounds like you can have this in your story, just not representing it in a really positive light.
  • Glorifying/supporting/encouraging gore (this is a weird policy!). Sounds like you can still have gore, just not glorifying it.
  • A few NSFW themes not allowed: Sex trafficking, bestiality, necrophilia, stories with non-consensual video/picture sharing, and of course under 18.

That was the summary, and here are some notes on what I think are some of the misinformation themes and why I don't think it's true.

Misinformation: Harassment is not allowed

If you skim the Harassment section, you might find it really restrictive. But if you read it closely, this section is applying NOT to harassment of in-game characters. It's for harassment of real people. Eg, a story of harassment against someone you know, and sharing that story to bully and harass that person is not allowed. It is not guidelines on what you can do in a story you create.

Misinformation: Violence is only allowed against enemies

Violence against others is allowed. This misinformation is coming from this section if Violence:

"Latitude does not allow content that incites hatred or violence offline, including content encouraging, supporting, glorifying, or trivializing:
- Terrorism
- Violent extremist actors and/or acts
- Hate groups and/or hate group membership
- Terrorist or extremist propaganda
- Gore and other obscene content
- Violence against others (see Harassment)"
The violence against others bullet is really poorly written, but I understand it to be just violence against others qualifying under the mentioned harassment section, which is about bullying other real people. Violence when used as part of harassment of another real person is disallowed. Eg, a story of violence against someone you know, and sharing that story to bully and harass that person. They worded it really poorly, but that's my understanding of that part of the violence guideline.

Misinformation: NSFW BDSM or non-consensual is not allowed

I think there are maybe two misinformation sources on why this is being misinterpreted as not allowed:

1. Harassment section upon skimming appears to disallow this type of behaviour which could be construed under those bullets. But, please read the above misinformation section on Harassment, these are not about harassing in-game characters, it's guidelines protecting harassing real people in real life. That whole section generally doesn't apply to your stories.
  2. Mature & Sexual Content has a section on "Nonconsentual pornography". If you read closely the full bullet (" Nonconsensual pornography (any sexually explicit material featuring an individual who has not expressed fully informed consent to such material being posted and shared, or who has since revoked their initial consent) "), it is just disallowing roleplaying sharing pictures of videos of NSFW content without consent.
Note: I don't mean say BDSM and non-consensual are the same, they just border some of the same themes.

Misinformation: Gore isn't allowed

This one is close to true it seems. Gore is allowed, but as long it isn't glorifying/supporting/encouraging/trivializing it. So an evil character in your story doing something with a lot of gore is allowed.

Misinformation: Threatening behavior is not allowed

This comes from the Threatening Behavior section:

"Threatening Behavior
Latitude has zero tolerance for threatening behavior, including threatening the life, safety, or well-being of others online or offline. We permanently suspend accounts associated with such content."
This is talking about threatening behavior to real people. You can have a character as part of your story that exhibits threatening behavior.

Misinformation: You can't do things that are not LGBTQ+ approved

This comes the "Hateful Conduct" section:

"Hateful Conduct
Latitude does not tolerate content intended to vilify, encourage, incite, or promote hate, violence against, or threatening other people based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), age, sexual orientation, veteran and/or military status, or domestic violence victim status. Hateful conduct examples include, but are not limited to:
- Using hateful language in your username or profile bio
- Accounts dedicated to inciting violence against people of color or other groups
- Games centered around wishing harm to vulnerable people

The following are examples of content permitted by our context-based approach:
- A game where a disabled character describes themself in terms that may otherwise be disallowed
- A game describing the nuances of reclaiming slurs in the LGBTQ community"

I've bolded the two key rules above that effects your stories. It reads as though for example a character in your story can be homophobic and use slurs. The story just can't be centered around harm against these groups.

Jimjamflimflam

kiwifarms.net
Played around with it more last night. I was really excited for novel AI but so far it has been so underwhelming that it's turned me off AI assisted writing for a bit. I really hope the field develops more but my session was the equivalent of throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. Kept going off track with every suggestion. I think my story was like 80-90% user input since the AI wasn't giving me anything. Had the dialogue get stuck in a cycle several times.

This was all without sigurd. Maybe that will increase the output quality but so far not fun.

Really hope this gets developed more but after the summer of Dragon this is hard to go back to.