Akiva Cohen files Bar Association complaint against Beard; Beard files back -

• Despite what alcoholic retards are saying, there are no plans to shut down the Kiwi Farms.

Freedom Fries

actually a pretty good user
kiwifarms.net
Is this filing to the Texas bar... the quivalent of "Bringing a knife to a gunfight" and Ty gots his finger on the BFG? haha!
So has anyone ever filed an Anti-SLAPP on a bar complaint before? I know Ty was saying he was gonna do it but this seems like a bit of a stretch.
Yes. TCPA was found to be applicable but the lawyer lost. The statute has been amended to do away with this but the amendment doesn't take effect until September 1.

I don't think it's a good idea for that reason, even if it's technically still do-able, but I'm sure Ty will look into this before actually doing it.
Now I'm not exactly sure what kind of Lawyer Ty is or his relationships with the Judge he thinks may end up handling a TCPA against the Texas State Bar Association. I'm also not sure what the situation between the Texas State Bar Association and Texas government is. If he does file an Anti-SLAPP motion on the TSBA it would probably be for fun and as a bit of a joke. It would also be a cheeky tongue stuck out at the TSBA over a bullshit investigation which may or may not be a good play depending on where he is and if Texas is fed up with some rules that may infringe on freedoms. Similarly, getting a favorable judge who doesn't mind wasting a little time or already views Ty favorable might get a kick out of it from a clever filing standpoint.

My opinion is that this is the kind of thing attorneys like to chuckle about at end of year parties and Judge reelection receptions. Depending on Ty's relationships with people in his community, it's an inside joke they get to share.

Captain Manning

He's on par with Santa Claus and has six locks!
kiwifarms.net
Columbia is generally listed alongside Harvard and Yale as one of the top law schools in the country.
I remain unimpressed with Ivy League law schools.

Our former County Attorney (that's a DA for some of you) went to Harvard. He was disbarred for doing something more dumb than Akiva.

And, while we're on the subject, Columbia has produced some truly shit-tier journalists. That Anna Merlan cunt from Jezzebel comes to mind.

Best attorney I ever worked with went to UofA. That's a more modest state uni.

Bottom line is I assume nothing from their alma-mater. It hasn't yet been a reliable indicator of anything, IMO.

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
doesnt sound like a good idea tbh

going before a judge and basically telling him "yeah i know the legislature has already decided that what i'm about to do should not be done, but the decision is not in full effect yet due to some formal technicalities, so i'm doing it anyway :^)" doesn't sound like it will have a particularly great chance to succeed.
The legislature can't ex post facto decide that what he's about to do should not be done.

As far as the courts are concerned, the legislature has already decided that it can be done, and until the legislature's amended law takes effect, that's the law that they have on the books.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AStupidMonkey

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Now I'm not exactly sure what kind of Lawyer Ty is or his relationships with the Judge he thinks may end up handling a TCPA against the Texas State Bar Association. I'm also not sure what the situation between the Texas State Bar Association and Texas government is. If he does file an Anti-SLAPP motion on the TSBA it would probably be for fun and as a bit of a joke. It would also be a cheeky tongue stuck out at the TSBA over a bullshit investigation which may or may not be a good play depending on where he is and if Texas is fed up with some rules that may infringe on freedoms. Similarly, getting a favorable judge who doesn't mind wasting a little time or already views Ty favorable might get a kick out of it from a clever filing standpoint.

My opinion is that this is the kind of thing attorneys like to chuckle about at end of year parties and Judge reelection receptions. Depending on Ty's relationships with people in his community, it's an inside joke they get to share.
I was not quoted in this post and yet.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The legislature can't ex post facto decide that what he's about to do should not be done.

As far as the courts are concerned, the legislature has already decided that it can be done, and until the legislature's amended law takes effect, that's the law that they have on the books.
That doesn't make actually doing it a good idea. You can also file completely bullshit bar complaints against someone and probably not end up in jail for it. Lots of things you can actually do aren't a good idea.

Slimy Time

Read 'em and weep
kiwifarms.net
Columbia is generally listed alongside Harvard and Yale as one of the top law schools in the country.
One thing I learned over the years is that a person's academic and professional qualifications have nothing to do with the way they carry themselves or the way they behave. This guy comes from a top law school, yet is a complete asshat who, by the way he behaves, is disgraceful to the profession. Look at most politicians, on paper, they should be amongst some of the "brightest" out there, yet they fuck up and look like idiots all the time. I used to have some form of respect for people who graduated from these top universities, once you meet them, that quickly goes away.

Freedom Fries

actually a pretty good user
kiwifarms.net
I was not quoted in this post and yet.
Sorry I had some extra quotes in there I edited out after I realized.

The thing about getting into and graduating from topflight schools is that getting in is often as not based on connections. Ridiculous over-representation of jews, political class, and trust-fund kids aside, they remain topflight for a reason. The resources you have access to, if you chose to use them, are insane. I know to a great extent you really get out what you put in at most universities (and you really can get something great by applying yourself at them), but the extra-circulars, overachiever classes, resources/mentoring, and mostly connections are totally different and much much more accessible at the top tier schools. However, you can coast through in either situation and get similar educational and experiential results.

jellycar

Now featuring 100% more Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
I remain unimpressed with Ivy League law schools.

Our former County Attorney (that's a DA for some of you) went to Harvard. He was disbarred for doing something more dumb than Akiva.

And, while we're on the subject, Columbia has produced some truly shit-tier journalists. That Anna Merlan cunt from Jezzebel comes to mind.

Best attorney I ever worked with went to UofA. That's a more modest state uni.

Bottom line is I assume nothing from their alma-mater. It hasn't yet been a reliable indicator of anything, IMO.
Oh my god you've returned! I thought you were dead... 😭

Lol I agree with you. Jack Thompson attended Vanderbilt and look how he turned out.

Apteryx Owenii

formerly a jerkop, wants to avoid merge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And I'm sure the Texas bar is gonna be more than happy to pay those.

Definitely won't be having a chat with the NY state bar and that Federal Prosecutor.
Well, it's their fault and responsibility for not doing what Minnesota has been doing: ignoring spurious complaints.

When Nick started talking about 'wire fraud' I had to roll my eyes. I can't imagine a federal prosecutor having ANY interest in wasting his time on a stunt like that. I also have to think Nick doesn't actually think that's gonna happen so it's just bluster to try and rattle people which, tbh, isn't what I really want to hear from him content-wise. This is a lawyer slapfight and the only people who are going to be involved are the organizations that can be dragged in (like the bar).

The legislature's actions make it seem like they never intended for it to be done and they are actively in the process of closing the loophole that technically allowed it to be done. The motion may be entertained because it's technically applicable but I doubt it will be viewed favorably.

trueandhonestfan

I'll drink my agua to that!
kiwifarms.net
He won't get disbarred. Possibly some small professional consequences related to wasting company time and involving his firm in some nonsense but I doubt he'll get fired.
He's also lying under oath though, and has literally hundreds of tweets that prove it. I can't imagine that's looked upon too kindly. Surely there will be at least some sort of disciplinary action.

Spectre_06

I'ma report you to SecDef Trump.
kiwifarms.net
Imagine being so dumb you think just claiming to have registered a copyright while not actually doing it will intimidate Null.
Imagine being so dumb that you think actually filing one will get Null to care. I mean it's not like we have an entire fucking subforum dedicated to fucknuggets who thought that and he tells them to get a court order.

Tags
None