Culture Alabama governor signs nation's most restrictive anti-abortion bill into law - "Unenforceable" bill designed to directly challenge Roe V. Wade

Ashy the Angel

The Cultural Marxist under your bed
kiwifarms.net

Article Text:

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey on Wednesday signed into law a controversial abortion bill that could punish doctors who perform abortions with life in prison."Today, I signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act, a bill that was approved by overwhelming majorities in both chambers of the Legislature," said Ivey, a Republican, in a statement. "To the bill's many supporters, this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians' deeply held belief that every life is precious and that every life is a sacred gift from God."
Gov. Kay Ivey singing AL abortion bill

The Alabama Senate passed the bill 25-6 late Tuesday night. The law only allows exceptions "to avoid a serious health risk to the unborn child's mother," for ectopic pregnancy and if the "unborn child has a lethal anomaly." Democrats re-introduced an amendment to exempt rape and incest victims, but the motion failed on an 11-21 vote.Ivey noted in her statement that the new law may be unenforceable due to the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decisionthat legalized abortion in all 50 states. But, the new law was passed with the aim of challenging that decision, Ivey said."No matter one's personal view on abortion, we can all recognize that, at least for the short term, this bill may similarly be unenforceable," Ivey wrote. "As citizens of this great country, we must always respect the authority of the U.S. Supreme Court even when we disagree with their decisions. Many Americans, myself included, disagreed when Roe v. Wade was handed down in 1973. The sponsors of this bill believe that it is time, once again, for the U.S. Supreme Court to revisit this important matter, and they believe this act may bring about the best opportunity for this to occur."

Alabama lawmakers now lead the pack of legislators across several states who are producing measures to restrict abortion, such as Georgia's recent fetal heartbeat bill. Many women don't yet know for certain that they're pregnant at six weeks into a pregnancy -- the earliest a fetal heartbeat can be detected.

Republican state Sen. Clyde Chambliss, who ushered the bill through the chamber, repeatedly referred on the Senate floor Tuesday to a "window" of time between conception and when a woman knows for certain that she's pregnant. The state senator said he believed that time was between about seven and 10 days.
The bill's passage Tuesday night elicited a wave of protest from a slew of Democrats, including 2020 hopefuls, and celebrities.
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke all ripped the legislation as unconstitutional. New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, California Rep. Eric Swalwell, former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren vowed to protect Roe.
New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand announced that she was headed to Georgia to "fight back, hard, on the frontlines" against "the greatest threat to reproductive freedom in our lifetimes."
Former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton called the bill an example of "appalling attacks on women's lives and fundamental freedoms."
American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama Executive Director Randall Marshall promised Ivey a lawsuit, slamming the governor for the anticipated legal costs that the legislation would mean for the state from court challenges.
"By signing this bill, the governor and her colleagues in the state legislature have decided to waste millions in Alabama taxpayer dollars in order to defend a bill that is simply a political effort to overturn 46 years of precedent that has followed the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision," he wrote in a statement Wednesday.
"We will not allow that to happen, and we will see them in court," Marshall added. "Despite the governor signing this bill, clinics will remain open, and abortion is still a safe, legal medical procedure at all clinics in Alabama."
Marshall told CNN on Tuesday before the bill's Senate passage that his organization would join with the national ACLU, Planned Parenthood and Planned Parenthood Southeast to challenge the measure in court within "a few weeks" should it become law.
Staci Fox, president of Planned Parenthood Southeast, reiterated promises of a court challenge.
"We vowed to fight this dangerous abortion ban every step of the way and we meant what we said," Fox told CNN. "We haven't lost a case in Alabama yet and we don't plan to start now."

========================================

I didn't think this was actually gonna happen but it seems like the GOP is aiming directly for Roe v. Wade with this one. The governer who signed it herself even called it "unenforceable", meaning this is gonna be taken right to the Supreme Court. I have no doubt this is gonna go anywhere, but it does sort of scare me. I thought this shit was well beyond settled, but I guess we're turning back the clock.

Last edited:

The Last Stand

The smartest twins on the planet.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey on Wednesday signed into law a controversial abortion bill that could punish doctors who perform abortions with life in prison."Today, I signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act, a bill that was approved by overwhelming majorities in both chambers of the Legislature," said Ivey, a Republican, in a statement. "To the bill's many supporters, this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians' deeply held belief that every life is precious and that every life is a sacred gift from God."
How horrifying. Another reason why religion shouldn't be a rule in many countries. I don't see why the government is so protective against fetuses. A fetus isn't even considered "alive".

Eryngium

Fix animated profile pics @Null you gutless mothe
kiwifarms.net
‼‼SUPER GRAPHIC AND SCARY LIVE ABORTION‼
I used to work at an abortion clinic and I saw some extremely fucked up shit there which is why I'm so anti-abortion now. This is just SOME of the horrible stuff I personally witnessed:
‼A 23 year old woman came in 11 months into her pregnancy and said "I don't want my stupid baby anymore, kill it" and the doctor said "okay" and he put jumper cables up her baby hole and connected them to a car battery and let it run for six days straight
‼A little 8-year old girl wandered in and said "I want an abortion but I am not pregnant" and the doctor said "we'll fix that" and he stole a baby and cut the girl open and put the baby inside her and sewed her shut and then woke the girl up and said "congratulations it's a healthy six year old boy" and the girl said "can I keep him" and the doctor said no and then backed over her in the parking lot with his brand new Ford Raptor
‼They made me sign an agreement promising to stop drinking from the medical waste container (I signed somebody else's name)
‼One of the doctors there developed a futuristic ray gun that could make anything he shot have an abortion, even trees, cars, or barns
‼The receptionist threw a fetus at an elderly man
‼The doctor's assistant invented this thing she called "the silly slide" and it was a really fun little water slide that connected a woman's vagina to a paper shredder so a newborn baby could briefly "enjoy the high life"
‼The oldest child we aborted was in his late 70s, we didn't even know he was a baby until his wife brought in photos
‼The doctors put all sorts of crap up a woman's uterus including a clown nose, bicycle handlebars, a calendar, and an entire Sears retail outlet (before bankruptcy)
‼During every successful abortion, the doctor would shout "take that, baby" and he'd push a red button that made sirens go off and confetti fell from the ceiling and we'd all get Del Taco for free
I have more stories but I'm watching a movie with James Spader and it requires all my attention because he may be Jack the Ripper

GrungyLawnChlorinate

confirmed hairless and stable
kiwifarms.net
‼‼SUPER GRAPHIC AND SCARY LIVE ABORTION‼
I used to work at an abortion clinic and I saw some extremely fucked up shit there which is why I'm so anti-abortion now. This is just SOME of the horrible stuff I personally witnessed:
‼A 23 year old woman came in 11 months into her pregnancy and said "I don't want my stupid baby anymore, kill it" and the doctor said "okay" and he put jumper cables up her baby hole and connected them to a car battery and let it run for six days straight
‼A little 8-year old girl wandered in and said "I want an abortion but I am not pregnant" and the doctor said "we'll fix that" and he stole a baby and cut the girl open and put the baby inside her and sewed her shut and then woke the girl up and said "congratulations it's a healthy six year old boy" and the girl said "can I keep him" and the doctor said no and then backed over her in the parking lot with his brand new Ford Raptor
‼They made me sign an agreement promising to stop drinking from the medical waste container (I signed somebody else's name)
‼One of the doctors there developed a futuristic ray gun that could make anything he shot have an abortion, even trees, cars, or barns
‼The receptionist threw a fetus at an elderly man
‼The doctor's assistant invented this thing she called "the silly slide" and it was a really fun little water slide that connected a woman's vagina to a paper shredder so a newborn baby could briefly "enjoy the high life"
‼The oldest child we aborted was in his late 70s, we didn't even know he was a baby until his wife brought in photos
‼The doctors put all sorts of crap up a woman's uterus including a clown nose, bicycle handlebars, a calendar, and an entire Sears retail outlet (before bankruptcy)
‼During every successful abortion, the doctor would shout "take that, baby" and he'd push a red button that made sirens go off and confetti fell from the ceiling and we'd all get Del Taco for free
I have more stories but I'm watching a movie with James Spader and it requires all my attention because he may be Jack the Ripper
I see you too have read Donald Barthelme's abortion jubilee.

I think it'll be quite fun! Really looking forward to hearing people defend the fact that you now face sterner legal consequences for getting an abortion from rape than actually raping someone.
Isn't murder generally deserving of harsher punishment that rape?

Poiseon

I am literal poison.
kiwifarms.net
Why do I get the feeling this and that Georgia bill are a direct response to the Far Left "after birth" abortion horseshit going on in places like New York?
That's exactly what this is. The Left was so autistic they had to push too far because of their "Fuck you, Mom and Dad Drumpf!" Bullshit, so the radical side opposite them garners more support. Still, this shit passed fucking fast.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How horrifying. Another reason why religion shouldn't be a rule in many countries. I don't see why the government is so protective against fetuses. A fetus isn't even considered "alive".
Why are southern republican states so backwards and undeveloped? This is Africa/Latin America tier.
For as much as fundies freak out about Sharia Law they sure do love trying force everyone to obey their version of biblical law.

Semper Fi to all the women and girls who are going to have to either cross state lines or shove coathangers inside themselves if they don't want to be pregnant.
I think it'll be quite fun! Really looking forward to hearing people defend the fact that you now face sterner legal consequences for getting an abortion from rape than actually raping someone.
Lol, baby-killers.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
It's always the Gulf states.

Alright, I'll bite, just to see how sharp your teeth are and because I haven't played DA in a while.

Murder is generally considered one of the few crimes more heinous than rape, so this is perfectly consistent with the hard-line pro-life stance of abortion being murder. Someone can, with time and therapy, recover at least somewhat from a rape. An aborted fetus is never coming back. They're never going to go to school, never going to mature into a productive adult and never going to have children of their own. There are alternatives to abortion all the way down the line, from preventatives and prophylactics to emergency contraceptives to adoption/legal abandonment. All of these circumvent the moral qualms abortion raises and most are reasonably accessible and feasible.

Ashy the Angel

kiwifarms.net
Isn't murder generally deserving of harsher punishment that rape?
I don't consider abortion early on in the first trimester to be murder, and even past that its fuzzy. If it can't live outside of the womb then its the woman's property, and part of her body. Its my sincere belief that a woman has a right to choose whether she wants to carry an infant to term. Its her body, she concieves and carries it, she should be able to choose whether she wants to or not, especially in unwanted pregnancies resulting from assault.

I mean its a good thing the law provides exceptions in case of rape or incest oh wait no lol, Dems tried to pass an amendment that did just that and it got shot down by our lovely conservative lawmakers.

The Last Stand

The smartest twins on the planet.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its my sincere belief that a woman has a right to choose whether she wants to carry an infant to term. Its her body, she concieves and carries it, she should be able to choose whether she wants to or not, especially in unwanted pregnancies resulting from assault.
Generally, I was told men shouldn't have an opinion on abortion since they don't carry the baby to term. I suppose this isn't my fight then.

For as much as fundies freak out about Sharia Law they sure do love trying force everyone to obey their version of biblical law.
For me, it's more the hypocrisy of the matter. I don't see why abortions are anybody's business. Abortions nowadays are safer now than they were 100 years ago. I think the option should be there. Like having a gun, if you don't want one, don't get one. Or with immigration: you want illegal aliens in your cities, take them.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I don't consider abortion early on in the first trimester to be murder, and even past that its fuzzy. If it can't live outside of the womb then its the woman's property, and part of her body. Its my sincere belief that a woman has a right to choose whether she wants to carry an infant to term. Its her body, she concieves and carries it, she should be able to choose whether she wants to or not, especially in unwanted pregnancies resulting from assault.
As long as we're on the subject of personal opinion having some kind of bearing on law I don't consider swapping lead upside a thief's head to be murder but I think we both know how much personal opinion matters for making laws. As for the property argument, the idea that you can reduce a gestating fetus to the status of property as long as it lacks the ability to live outside the womb is interesting. Would you say that someone who could not survive outside of an iron lung was the property of the hospital that iron lung was in? What is the differentiation? Does dependency equal effective slavery? And from your premise of "it's a woman's choice to carry to term" - is it also a man's choice whether to support that child after it's born or not? Does he have the option of saying "No, I did not want this, I wanted you to abort because I cannot support this child, I will not support this child"? Does this sword cut both ways or does the choice of the second genetic contributor simply not come into play at any point?

I mean its a good thing the law provides exceptions in case of rape or incest oh wait no lol, Dems tried to pass an amendment that did just that and it got shot down by our lovely conservative lawmakers.
Why should a child be punished with death for a crime its sperm donor committed?

Ashy the Angel

kiwifarms.net
Murder is generally considered one of the few crimes more heinous than rape, so this is perfectly consistent with the hard-line pro-life stance of abortion being murder. Someone can, with time and therapy, recover at least somewhat from a rape. An aborted fetus is never coming back. They're never going to go to school, never going to mature into a productive adult and never going to have children of their own. There are alternatives to abortion all the way down the line, from preventatives and prophylactics to emergency contraceptives to adoption/legal abandonment. All of these circumvent the moral qualms abortion raises and most are reasonably accessible and feasible.
You were doing great until the whole "reasonably accessible and feasible" bit. Thanks to organizations like Planned Parenthood and oh I dunno the fact that generally speaking we have one of the best medical systems on the planet safe abortions have been a thing since forever. America's abortion clinics aren't back allies in Brazil 40 years ago (But funnily enough this bill does force women to seek off-the-books, black market alternatives that are less safe).

Preventatives and the like are fantastic in the case of a planned sexual encounter, but what about rape? Most women won't know they're pregnant until 4-6 weeks. You'd instead force a woman to go through the pain of childbirth to satisfy your own moral misgivings about THEIR use of THEIR bodies, even when they didn't make the choice to have sex in the first place?

And aren't pro-lifers usually conservative? Get rid of government interference in personal life, right? Of course oddly enough this is always an exception for some reason.

The fact of the matter is regardless of how you feel about the moral questions raised by abortions, outlawing it and placing women in danger by making them seek non-legal alternatives is quantifiably worse than allowing women to have safe abortions. This is something that we settled with Roe V. Wade forty years ago. We should not be still having this debate.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino