Aladdin remake trailer/general - robin williams didn't die for this

• I am killing the Proving Grounds board in a week, unless someone has an idea to make it work. (Thread) (Update 1)

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Y'know if I came into this with no context and you told me this was some Bollywood ripoff movie that had Will Smith in it because Will had to pay off some bills, I would have totally 100% believed you. But knowing this had Disney attached to it and it therefore has a Disney budget attached to it, that just makes me sad.

This looks bad. Like Star Wars prequel OD'ing on CGI bad. And what's even worse is that this isn't even a new story but a retread on one of their older properties so this feels like an incredibly cynical cash grab.

Fuck Disney and their entirely creatively bankrupt empire.

Ow The Edge

Darko of the Dark
kiwifarms.net
It's filled to the brim with CGI, shit. couldn't they have gotten at least a trained monkey for Abu?

Looks pretty shit, fam. The bad actors and CGI, plus I heard they're pushing Jasmine to be more of a "strong, independent woman", so yeah, expect some wokeness added in there.
So, what, is the Sultan going to try and honor kill her for running around with an unrelated man without a niqab? Because I'd actually respect them for their balls if they actually showed Saudi-style oppression.

JambledUpWords

Destiny is bae, don’t tell Becky
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
According to a rumor I heard in Disney fansites the Sultan is dead or dies in this version, so Jasmine goes all Queen from the start or something. Because she was too "passive" in the original film.
That’s no fun. Whenever they try and make changes like this, it makes the movie less enjoyable. Beauty and the Beast made the same mistake too.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyborg Scars

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Terrible casting! Should have been Jon Lovitz.

I'd say it's going to flop, but kids movies are typically shite and go on to make mad bank. This'll win, because kids are dum.
I don't think it's a safe bet. Kids have more options for entertainment than ever before so all I'm saying is that it's up in the air. Fuck, I thought Venom would flop because it looked terrible and same with Aquaman. Box office predictions are like voodoo economics at this point.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Hopefully one of these 'live' action remakes (I'm looking at you, Lion King) will tank so fucking badly Disney'll slow the train down just a goddamn bit and make sure they got shit straight before doing any more.
Through the Looking Glass flopped hard, as did Mary Poppins Returns. Dumbo will also likely flop. But there's a half dozen more of these shit films in the pipeline, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about a singular flop (even one as high profile as The Lion King) ending this wretched experiment anytime soon.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
Through the Looking Glass flopped hard, as did Mary Poppins Returns. Dumbo will also likely flop. But there's a half dozen more of these shit films in the pipeline, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about a singular flop (even one as high profile as The Lion King) ending this wretched experiment anytime soon.
Guessing Mary Poppins was a victim of cannibalism, since it and WIR2 released within like 3 weeks of each other in the US

PoisonedBun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Guessing Mary Poppins was a victim of cannibalism, since it and WIR2 released within like 3 weeks of each other in the US
That box office month was a bloodbath. Mary Poppins, WIR2, Bumblebee, and Into the Spiderverse all came out around the same time. EDIT: And Aquaman.

The trailer was passable...up until they got to Will Smith's manboob genie. Like I have a super difficult time believing that this

and this View attachment 662881
are the same character (hint, one of them doesn't resemble something out of an early PS3-era cutscene)
It’s interesting the role of genie went from a man who can do dozens of impressions to a man who can only play himself. Seriously, I keep waiting for Will Smith to stop getting casted because I literally only see him and not his character. And he’s not even entertaining/weird to kinda make up for it like Nic Cage.

Last edited:
U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
That box office month was a bloodbath. Mary Poppins, WIR2, Bumblebee, and Into the Spiderverse all came out around the same time.

It’s interesting the role of genie went from a man who can do dozens of impressions to a man who can only play himself. Seriously, I keep waiting for Will Smith to stop getting casted because I literally only see him and not his character. And he’s not even entertaining/weird to kinda make up for it like Nic Cage.
Will is good with good material, the issue is that he's rarely ever given good material these days. I was actually kinda hoping we'd see a revival of 90's era Will with a fun character like Genie, but it seems like we're stuck with the usual "Dad Smith"

MasterDisaster

I'm here for the juice, baby.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know Disney won't straight up cancel them but they'll probably spread them out further. A lot of movies end up canned for slow months or until it has the potential to draw a better crowd. The 3 Stooges movie got canned and then was dumped in the Spring and Seventh Son was filmed in 2012 but wasn't released until 2014.

Both were Box Office bombs but managed to just barely make over budget.

• Informative
Reactions: frozenrunner

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Me before the end: "This looks surprisingly cheap for a big-budget Disney movie, but nothing too offensive."

Me after the end: "Nononono, nonononono, nono nono."

Hopefully one of these 'live' action remakes (I'm looking at you, Lion King) will tank so fucking badly Disney'll slow the train down just a goddamn bit and make sure they got shit straight before doing any more.
It could bomb, but then again Disney fans and the Chinese aren't known for their good tastes.

Last edited:

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Something I was just thinking about but you also have to think that in this CURRENT YEAR, they're pretty much fucked when it comes to being able to recast The Genie. Not only because Robin Williams was on a level of acting that 99% of Hollywood could never aspire to be, but also the fact is if Robin Williams was alive right now, would've been hated by the popular media. They would've ran his name through the mud and called his sexist, transphobic, racist, the whole gamut. Hell, they'd probably do that with any other white comedian these days.

So Disney decided to play it stupidly safe and find the safest black man they could think of but also has some star power behind him. If Wayne Brady hadn't burned out years ago, sure as shit he'd be playing The Genie, but nope, he's too busy doing Publisher's Clearing House ads.

...I also just realized someone better get to Jaden Smith and make sure he realizes his dad isn't actually a genie and he starts to believe he's living inside of a lamp.

TrippinKahlua

From RC Enthusiast to T-Shirt Brand.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Sultan actually said "Praise Allah!" In the original animated movie.

I guess there will be plenty of Muslim moments.

Also, the city of Agrabah was meant to be in Iraq.

• Informative
Reactions: JambledUpWords

Lucille Bluth

kiwifarms.net
Lol tumblr and many SJW types will have melt downs when this movie is released.. even if by technicality Jasmine and Aladdin" are "white".

That said, it looks worse than 2017's Beauty And The Beast, which too was a garbage cash grab. So I'm not sure it will make 1B worldwide like Beauty.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino