Albums that sound like nothing else -

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
In 1988, Oliveros and two colleagues—the trombonist, didgeridoo player, and composer Stuart Dempster and the vocalist and composer Panaiotis, along with audio engineer Albert Swanson—squeezed through a man-hole sized opening with their instruments to climb down a 14-foot ladder into a dark underground cistern in Port Townsend, Wash. According to Oliveros, to the musicians, “echo and reverberation could be fascinating.”

As an acoustic space, the cavernous cistern where the recording was made is remarkable for its smooth frequency response, lack of distant echoes, and, most notably, a long reverberation of 45 seconds at low frequencies.

Robert Sanvagene

Autistic Lives Matter™
kiwifarms.net
Tom Dissevelt & Kid Baltan - The Fascinating World Of Electronic Music (1959)

In 1957, Dutch composers Tom Dissevelt and Dick Raaymakers (a.k.a. Kid Baltan) were commissioned by Philips to create experimental music for their fledgling record label. At this time Philips was one of the largest electronics companies in the world, with a substantial research lab (NatLab) located at Eindhoven in The Netherlands. For context, consider that other products of NatLab's research include the Compact Cassette (1963) and the world's first consumer-grade VCR (1972). Philips also worked with Sony to develop the CD, but I digress.

This Dissevelt/Raaymakers collaboration resulted in two albums: "The Elektrosonics: Electronic Music" (released in 1957) and "The Fascinating World Of Electronic Music" (released in 1959). A number of re-releases ensued, including a US release in 1962. Several EPs appear to have also been released drawing upon tracks originally recorded for these two albums.

In 2003, David Bowie revealed that "The Elektrosonics: Electronic Music" was one of his 25 favourite albums of all time.

It's hard to fathom that this was composed in the late 1950s, especially when compared with contemporary popular music of its time. Despite being all-electronic, Dissevelt's and Raaymakers' respective classical training is obvious, as well as jazz influences brought by the former.

I guess this is really two albums that sound like nothing else, but I can't find a full link for "The Elektrosonics: Electronic Music".

Last edited:
Reactions: sasazuka

Technetium

kiwifarms.net
I would argue that Liturgy put out a pretty unique sound which incorporates black metal intensity, uplifting chords and a bit of math-rock riffs to keep it sharp. But I'm no metal expert so there may be other bands doing the same thing, Liturgy is the only one I know of.

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
The Shaggs' only album. It's horrible, but a glorious mess at the same time. Philosophy of the World is what happens when a bunch of kids are isolated from music and made to try their hand at it.

Describing the music would be like describing a landfill's odor to someone born without a sense of smell. It must be experienced.

Positron

Bovid-19. Codename: White Yak
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The two albums by the group Channel Light Vessel. Quirky, eclectic masterpieces by four mavericks from different musical backgrounds: a folk-jazz-rock-electronic-ambient-chamber-music amalgam that displays a kaleidoscope of sonic details, while being surprisingly melodic and endearing at the same time.

Crystal Golem

kiwifarms.net
Imaginary Soniscape by Sigh is an absolutely bizarre masterpiece. Supposedly written and performed while the band members were high on magic mushrooms this is however no hippy jam session. These guys are serious musicians and somehow bind together blackened thrash, mind bending synths, strangely haunting backing vocals, saxophone backed spoken word, piano interludes and even the occasional really catchy riff.

Cryonic Haunted Bullets

Niemals schlafen! Alles Lügen!
kiwifarms.net
Tom Dissevelt & Kid Baltan - The Fascinating World Of Electronic Music (1959)

In 1957, Dutch composers Tom Dissevelt and Dick Raaymakers (a.k.a. Kid Baltan) were commissioned by Philips to create experimental music for their fledgling record label. At this time Philips was one of the largest electronics companies in the world, with a substantial research lab (NatLab) located at Eindhoven in The Netherlands. For context, consider that other products of NatLab's research include the Compact Cassette (1963) and the world's first consumer-grade VCR (1972). Philips also worked with Sony to develop the CD, but I digress.

This Dissevelt/Raaymakers collaboration resulted in two albums: "The Elektrosonics: Electronic Music" (released in 1957) and "The Fascinating World Of Electronic Music" (released in 1959). A number of re-releases ensued, including a US release in 1962. Several EPs appear to have also been released drawing upon tracks originally recorded for these two albums.

In 2003, David Bowie revealed that "The Elektrosonics: Electronic Music" was one of his 25 favourite albums of all time.

It's hard to fathom that this was composed in the late 1950s, especially when compared with contemporary popular music of its time. Despite being all-electronic, Dissevelt's and Raaymakers' respective classical training is obvious, as well as jazz influences brought by the former.

I guess this is really two albums that sound like nothing else, but I can't find a full link for "The Elektrosonics: Electronic Music".

Hmm, human music. I like it.

Drowning by Plasma Pool. It's um.. interesting. A sample.

Sounds like Skinny Puppy:

wolfpac92

*Natural Born Killaz plays in the distance*
kiwifarms.net
Maurice de Jong, who usually releases music under the name of Gnaw Their Tongues, which can mostly be described as black metal, noise, and industrial, made a surprisingly beautiful ambient album under the name Seirom. The album is uncharacteristic even for Seirom's usual output

wolfpac92

*Natural Born Killaz plays in the distance*
kiwifarms.net
People here are probably already familiar with Mike Patton and Bungle but it's obligatory

Reactions: MakeItRain

MakeItRain

taste the waste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There are rumors that surround the downright eccentricity first album, claiming that it was recorded while sporting a heroin addiction, which was slowly gaining a foothold into his life. John claims that this is not true, but rather his second album was recorded entirely to fund his addictions.
A few musicians I know who used to be addicted to heroin have said that album sounds exactly like music made by somebody getting into heroin, whatever that means.

My submission:

I think the background on this album is cute. It's one of the first synth albums out there, Mort Garson was writing pop songs for other people until he went to a demonstration put on by the inventer of the Moog synthesizer and switched over to composing electronic albums. He wrote this one for a gardening store, they gave it away as a bonus with their potted plants for people to play for the plants to help them grow (it was the 70's). He recorded a lot of other albums but this one definitely stands out and apart.

Highly recommended listening when you're going to sleep or just need to chill the fuck out.

Tags
None