Albums that sound like nothing else -

tehpope

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People here are probably already familiar with Mike Patton and Bungle but it's obligatory

Travolta (aka Quote Unquote) doesn't really sound like anything else imho. That atonal riff on the synth is just genius that they made it work.

• Agree
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene

wolfpac92

*Natural Born Killaz plays in the distance*
kiwifarms.net

Travolta (aka Quote Unquote) doesn't really sound like anything else imho. That atonal riff on the synth is just genius that they made it work.
Almost everything they did sounds like nothing else, even to this day. They also just kept getting better and better

Also as a bonus, here's an amazing piano cover

wolfpac92

*Natural Born Killaz plays in the distance*
kiwifarms.net
These are some pretty unique hip hop albums.
A lot of variety in the beats and Danny Brown's weird vocal style. His voice is an acquired taste but I personally really like this album

Honestly one of the funniest albums I've listened to. The album is a crazy mix of weird ad-libbing, stand-up comedy, aggressive lyrics, and other wild shit. It's just ODB getting drunk in a studio and going nuts. Things like the random beat changes and ODB just psychotically repeating verses from earlier songs come out of nowhere and it's really entertaining

This is a very popular and highly-rated album, and part of it is because there's not much like it. It has some of the most dynamic beats I've ever heard in hip hop. Every time I listen to it again I pick out some subtle things in the music or an instrument or sound being added that I missed. DOOM's discography is pretty unique for hip hop in general.

This is an album that plays out and sounds like a horror B-movie. It's a concept album that tells the story of Ghostface Killah being killed by a rival mob or something and a ritual involving twelve vinyls resurrects him as a ghost so he can get revenge and kill his murderers. It's ridiculous and violent, and even has a sequel album. The music is all played on instruments and is full of campy, over-the-top operatic singing. I love it

And this is a weird electronic-influenced album from an experimental Japanese group. The album also has an unpronounceable name so it always takes me forever to find it

Edit: condensed to one post

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Spedestrian

jellycar

Now featuring 100% more Natasha Romanoff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Haven't looked at the other pages. Kate Bush's The Dreaming...does that count?

A jewel heist, a pursuit of knowledge, the Vietnam war, the shining with bonus donkey braying.......

I remember this album terrified me. She scared me. It's her most complex and controversial album yet.

Last edited:

Spedestrian

Demonically Possessed Ray-Ba᠎ns
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
El-P's Fantastic Damage is an abrasive dystopian hellscape that sounds like it was made by an alien. I'm still not sure that it's even possible to like it, but it's uniquely compelling enough that I keep listening to it anyway:

Dick In a Drawer

myname jeff
kiwifarms.net
Foetus - Nail
probably my favorite album of all time if you made me pick, it's very out there industrial album that came out in the 80s between the time industrial meant stuff like Throbbing Gristle, completely inaccessible experimental noise & weird synth experiments, and stuff like Nine Inch Nails which most people first thing of when they hear industrial music. Foetus is one guy, JG Thirlwell, and he always tried seeing how much he could make out of just the studio as an instrument. it combines elements of many genres, there's two songs which are just symphonic instrumentals and there's a lot of random influences of swing & big band type music, the lyrics are all either really dark or references to something and Thirlwell's performance style is very manic, he plays a character in the album of a man going insane . idk if it qualifies as a concept album but there's a lot of constant themes and motifs through the whole thing about cruelity in the world and stuff like that, it would be a doomer album if it wasn't for the black humor in it throughout. most of his other work is worth checking out and he's extremely prolific, he stopped making "industrial" music; he did the soundtrack for the venture bros & archer and his latest album was under the name Xordox, it's experimental instrumental electronic music idk what to describe it i guess Klaus Schulze esque with modern synths and everything.
Descent into the Inferno
full album:

Mister Qwerty

kiwifarms.net
Vikings Of The Sunrise: Fantasy On The Polynesian Star Navigators - Stephen Scott

This album may sound like electronic music but I assure you it’s not. It’s 10 musicians playing on one instrument. Guess which one it is.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
The Prodigy - Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

It sounds nothing like any of their other work, and was conceived as an album that couldn’t be played live. It sounds like 80s electro hip-hop got beaten up by a Martin Scorsese movie antagonist and survived.

Shiggy Diggster

hulk is such a yo-yo
kiwifarms.net
Mary Timony - Mountains

Fans initially hated it because it was such a departure from her previous music. Maybe they still do. I don't care. It's my desert island record. Witchy, medieval and modal.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Your city lies in dust, my friend
kiwifarms.net
This album is probably the best music Brazil ever produced. It's absolutely incredible, It combines African sound with samba, and good lord the result is incredible.

I don't think anyone posted Magma (Udu Wudu). Each album sounds differently enough.

And finally Foetus (Nail), an influence on what would become "industrial" though not really at all industrial himself (despite what people say).

I have a lot more I'd post here, but I've posted enough already for now so just two more. But, nobody sure as shit sounds like Nina Hagen (watch the video!) or Klaus Nomi.

Hagen (from nunsexmonkrock):
Nomi (Klaus Nomi album):

Haven't looked at the other pages. Kate Bush's The Dreaming...does that count?

A jewel heist, a pursuit of knowledge, the Vietnam war, the shining with bonus donkey braying.......

I remember this album terrified me. She scared me. It's her most complex and controversial album yet.
Fuck I love this album. Probably in my personal top 10. Best KB album, Hounds of Love is great too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

HighwayStar

kiwifarms.net
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - We're Only It for the Money

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Cardiacs - Sing to God

The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultra World

The Flaming Lips - Cloud Taste Metallic

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, a True Star

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Titos

Can't stop. Won't stop. Please stop.
kiwifarms.net
At first it sounds like music from the 50's or 60's and gradually transforms into an unbearable mess.
Something about Caretakers music makes me existentially uncomfortable. Like the world is gonna end is or already ending. He would make a fantastic horror movie OST.
Would also add most Ween albums, even though alot of them are clearly trying to emulate other bands all of them have a certain "feel" that's really hard to peg down.

Tags
None