Careercow Alexander Thomas Mauer / Alex Mauer / Lexi Mauer - DMCA spamming "trans" musician of Starr Mazer DSP fame.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alex Mauer was the musician and sound designer of Starr Mazer DSP, a generic bullet hell game made by Imagos Software, now available on Steam.

alexmauer-jpg.238959

Props to @Ride for the photo.

After the launch of the game, Alex Mauer decided she wasn't being properly compensated for her work, so instead of hiring a lawyer, he has decided to rally people to his side by spamming DMCA notices at rando Youtubers who were streaming the game. Surprisingly, Pearl Harboring the Youtube channels of innocent nobodies didn't win him any allegiances, rather it had the effect of being perceived as an act of extortion. When confronted about the DMCA claims, he had this to say.

Alex Mauer Email.png

At first glance, one might be inclined to assume this dinky, nobody indie company have found themselves in a Ken Penders scenario, one which entails the non-existence of a work for hire contract, preventing the company from proving they have sole proprietary rights of the work created for Starr Mazer by the contractor. Evidently not.

Alex Mauer Contract.png

Rather than taking Alex to court for falsely representing them, the indie developer bends knee to Alex and removes the game from Steam only to put it back up with the soundtrack completely removed.

Alex then claimed he also created the sound effects for the game, and once again, the indie company that owns sole custody of the intellectual property rights to this music as forsworn to them by her in a work for hire contract, folds. They removed the game from Steam yet again, presumably only to put it back up without sound effects later.

To top off the shit sundae with a red, red cherry, he has decided that the going price for an album of 23 tracks of 8-bit Mario Maker music is $1000.00 USD.

Alex Mauer Bandcamp.png

Not even the best of mainstream bands that sell out every venue they appear in before the internet piracy era could ever get away with selling each copy of their album for a $1000, not even if it were plated with gold and diamonds. Best yet is since this is Bandcamp of all places to upload your music, everyone can just listen to these songs for fucking free all day erry day.

The most insulting part is he couldn't even be arsed to give each song their own name, they're labeled by the level numbers and phases they were arranged in during game development.

If this weren't the modern internet age, I would have to leap to the conclusion that this over the top scandal was a hoax, a ridiculous viral marketing strategy to put the independent game developer company into the spotlight. But alas, the autism is too real to not be true.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/462100/discussions/0/133258092245215209/
https://alexmauermusic.bandcamp.com/releases

Props for Leonard Finch video by @bird

UPDATE: The Jimquisition video I posted when creating this thread was removed as I was posting it. It's ironic since Jim actually dared Alex openly to try taking his video down. Mission successful, Jim.

Last edited:
R

RK 672

kiwifarms.net
Goes by Lexi Mauer now. Lives somewhere around Philadelphia (not sure if the address I have is up to date or whether he moved back in with his parents). Already deleted a bunch of his social media. It appears that Alex was fairly somewhat known in the chiptune community before this.
DOB: 1/28/1983
alexmauermusic@gmail.com

Very feminine.
alexmauer.jpg

Pointless Pedant

Breaking the chains of gravity
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Goes by Lexi Mauer now. Lives somewhere around Philadelphia (not sure if the address I have is up to date or whether he moved back in with his parents). Already deleted a bunch of his social media. It appears that Alex was fairly somewhat known in the chiptune community before this.
DOB: 1/28/1983
alexmauermusic@gmail.com

Very feminine.
View attachment 238959

I've never seen such a stunning and brave effort to pass.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey @AnOminous, word on the street is that David here won't hire a lawyer to slay Goliath because he can't afford to, which is why he's resorted to slapping random Youtubers with DMCA claims. I know you can represent yourself in a federal case but can you file a lawsuit without a proper lawyer?

bird

I'll shit on you
kiwifarms.net
This video by actual copyright attorney Leonard French is a really good overview of what is happening that should be added to OP imo,

but my tl;dr is Alex went tranny about midway through Starr Mazer's development and to nobodies surprise that meant doing absolutely batshit things like demanding more money, probably violating their contract and looking at some serious funtime infront of a judge, because Leonard French is possibly going to be the attorney suing alex as he is in the same district.

lol trannies

MMX

True defective
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
UPDATE: The Jimquisition video I posted when creating this thread was removed as I was posting it. It's ironic since Jim actually dared Alex openly to try taking his video down. Mission successful, Jim.

Jims having a bit of a cry after he "accidentally" set all his rabid fan boys after some chick at imagos when he gave out their email as a contact.
Jims trying to distance viewer ship and fans after an innocent party got bombed with hate mail and transphobic shit.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jims having a bit of a cry after he "accidentally" set all his rabid fan boys after some chick at imagos when he gave out their email as a contact.
Jims trying to distance viewer ship and fans after an innocent party got bombed with hate mail and transphobic shit.

I remember, in the video he displayed the email in large white font and said "DO NOT HARASS THIS EMAIL! WE DO NOT SOLVE SCUMBAG PROBLEMS BY BEING SCUMBAGS OURSELVES." He either did that with malicious intent or he really is a complete dumbass.

Doesn't this make for the second time he's done that?

Last edited:

MMX

True defective
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember, in the video he displayed the email in large white font and said "DO NOT HARASS THIS EMAIL! WE DO NOT SOLVE SCUMBAG PROBLEMS BY BEING SCUMBAGS OURSELVES." He either did that with malicious intent or he really is a complete dumbass.

I'm going to be mister optimism and assume he did the right thing but his fans misread.
The email was the contact sid-alpha had made who had been very helpful towards those affected and so jim likely thought he was doing those effected a favour.
Ofcourse when someone says " don't you go hurling abuse at this person" on the Internet it tends to mean " attack this toxic shit lord but don't tell em I sent you".
Jims done it before and this time it's back fired.
Likely people just thought Laura is Alexs tranny name.

Last edited:

Sad Clown Shoe

kiwifarms.net
It appears that Alex was fairly somewhat known in the chiptune community before this.
View attachment 238959
Alex was a competent and respected artist who had been churning out good stuff for a couple of decades, or at least good for those of you that aren't repulsed by chiptune stuff.

When this DMCA shit started I was initially confused about hearing the name coming up at all in sort of mainstreamy stuff like TotalBiscuit or Jim Sterling videos, and the revelation that he's sending C&Ds to Turner(who owns Adult Swim) and targetting youtubers as a proxy to drum up leverage against the developer she's trying to fuck over. The latter is a retarded saturday morning cartoon villain level plot, this is the Joker kidnapping people's cats and telling the owners they can have them back once they've successfully petitioned Batman to go and have a tea-party with him.

To start with, the most confusing thing about seeing "Alex Mauer" was all the use of "her", but I think it probably explains a lot about the whole situation, he's probably going through a mental break that has him thinking that any of this is at all reasonable, and wanting to fund a transition might be motivation for trying to get the dev to fork over money now rather than getting a slice of revenue when the game eventually comes out.

Probably worth putting this in the OP: link

It's the dev's side of things and sums shit up nicely, tl;dr version:
  • Alex was to make music for the game, but had to abandon the project part way through due to some kind of health problem(presumably began "transitioning").
  • Overall Alex was paid $36,000~ for the work done so far.
  • Alex demanded more money, claiming outstanding pay, dev acquiesced and offered a share of soundtrack rights(so it could be sold by alex independently on stuff like bandcamp)and game revenue which was initially accepted and then rejected.
  • To try to make shit go away the dev has relinquished their claim to the tracks Alex made and brought someone else onboard, meaning that they ultimately have nothing to show for giving a chiptune legend tens of thousands of dollars.

StealthBoy

kiwifarms.net
Alex was a competent and respected artist who had been churning out good stuff for a couple of decades, or at least good for those of you that aren't repulsed by chiptune stuff.

When this DMCA shit started I was initially confused about hearing the name coming up at all in sort of mainstreamy stuff like TotalBiscuit or Jim Sterling videos, and the revelation that he's sending C&Ds to Turner(who owns Adult Swim) and targetting youtubers as a proxy to drum up leverage against the developer she's trying to fuck over. The latter is a exceptional saturday morning cartoon villain level plot, this is the Joker kidnapping people's cats and telling the owners they can have them back once they've successfully petitioned Batman to go and have a tea-party with him.

To start with, the most confusing thing about seeing "Alex Mauer" was all the use of "her", but I think it probably explains a lot about the whole situation, he's probably going through a mental break that has him thinking that any of this is at all reasonable, and wanting to fund a transition might be motivation for trying to get the dev to fork over money now rather than getting a slice of revenue when the game eventually comes out.

Probably worth putting this in the OP: link

It's the dev's side of things and sums shit up nicely, tl;dr version:
  • Alex was to make music for the game, but had to abandon the project part way through due to some kind of health problem(presumably began "transitioning").
  • Overall Alex was paid $36,000~ for the work done so far.
  • Alex demanded more money, claiming outstanding pay, dev acquiesced and offered a share of soundtrack rights(so it could be sold by alex independently on stuff like bandcamp)and game revenue which was initially accepted and then rejected.
  • To try to make shit go away the dev has relinquished their claim to the tracks Alex made and brought someone else onboard, meaning that they ultimately have nothing to show for giving a chiptune legend tens of thousands of dollars.

From what I understand she turned down the offer to the rights, as she would not drop her claims, which was the deal supposedly.

vegacocks

kiwifarms.net
I used to follow alex's now-deleted twitter account since I thought his chiptunes were okay. I thought he was just some typical guy, but I stopped following him when he started going into his tranny tirade, which included him posting unbelievably insane shit like FUCKING CROTCH SHOTS OF HIS TURGID PENIS bulging underneath his oversized walmart panty with a female symbol pasted piss-poorly on the front of his bulge and captioned with something like "modeling for trans-friendly underwear". I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP.

He also posted some video of himself complaining to some poor rando bank clerk about bathrooms and shit, he was a complete exact stereotype of some angry tranny sjw fit together perfectly.

I only knew about the whole starr mazer drama recently. The timeline of the drama with the game coinciding with his twitter posts totally gave me a new perspective on the whole thing.

Sanae Kochiya

afk Shrine Maiden
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Heard about the mess from SidAlpha. Didn't know who the person was before, so just gotta give the obligatory "lolevenWupassesbetter" comment.

@Sad Clown Shoe already said it but it bears repeating. Mauer here sent a C&D to Turner Broadcasting for apparently using some of his content. Now, while what he's doing is already INCREDIBLY FUCKING STUPID since he's got guys like Total Biscuit (insert lolcow comments here) and Leonard French lighting a fire under his ass and have both the connections and the knowledge to counterclaim and set up civil suits for this incredibly petty and illegal action, you could at least argue that the average YouTuber wouldn't have the money or time to bother with a suit even with the support of the aforementioned two.

But Turner? Uhhhh... yeah they kinda make a lotta money. Not only did Mauer piss off the entire Internet, but he also decided to double down on his incompetence and piss off a large cable company who most assuredly has the money to fight for their copyrights and will most likely not back down to a fraudulent C&D from some schizo tranny.

Basically, guys, get the popcorn, because this shit's gonna get a whole lot more buttery.