Disaster Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Megathread - because you guys can't shut up about this chick

Should we abolish ICE and exempt Latinos from immigration laws?

• Yes

Votes: 18 3.0%
  • No

Votes: 73 12.3%
  • No Human Is Illegal

Votes: 22 3.7%
  • Hahahahahahahaha :story:

Votes: 114 19.2%
  • Someone needs to tard-wrangle AOC, Tlaib, and Omar

Votes: 247 41.5%
  • Breh

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • Brah

Votes: 25 4.2%
  • Bruh

Votes: 79 13.3%

• Total voters

Smaug's Smokey Hole

don't step on me
kiwifarms.net
Where I'm from, garbage disposals are pretty rare and when I got an apartment with one, all my friends were like, "But where does the food go!?" and staring at it like it was an alien device.

So people can be like this.
Where I'm from they don't exist. But I know what it is, how they work and what they do because I have watched some popular American sitcoms that were made between 1970-2010. If I've learned anything from tired gag setups it's that they're a magnet for wedding rings and jewelry.

Sīn the Moon Daddy

🌙 Time and Tide
kiwifarms.net
She should have stuck with the instant pot politics. AOC was always envisioned as being more of a pop star politician than a serious policy heavyweight.

Alas, the road not taken.

Also, I had an ex that was afraid of the garbage disposal and it was kind of pathetic rather than endearing. So yeah. Nice self own.

• Informative
Reactions: Unog

Jerri's Kid

I like the pole and the hole.
kiwifarms.net
I want to start by saying that I hate you all for getting me curious enough to watch this drivel, although many chortles were had.

I figured out where they got her picture for the cover:

View attachment 750937

View attachment 750938

She's in a shitty elevator, staring blankly at the floor numbers. A fitting image, I think.

It's a good metaphor for the difference between how she sees herself, and reality.
I think they were trying to create a beatific pose like you see in paintings with saints looking to the heavens, but the context makes her look awkward and dumb instead.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
AOC is confused by a garbage disposal in her DC apartment, blames NYC for making them illegal until 1997 so she didn't have one growing up...except she grew up in Westchester (Yorktown) where it was legal to have one.

Edit, Took too long posting and someone else beat me to it gah

Why she doesn't get hammered with "You're from Westchester" everyday is beyond me.

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
1. This bill was co-authored and sponsored by multiple women, there's no need to be sexist about it.
What AOC did was very politically expedient and one of those things which frustrates me to no end: she didn't list any of the women and only said that "most" of the men involved didn't know anything about women's bodies. In that sense, she's not critiquing the female co-authors and sponsors, but (most of) the men involved in creating this heartbeat bill. Which men? Your guess is as good as mine! She's not necessarily wrong, mostly because she's being too vague either way.

2. If you're two weeks late on your period, you're four weeks pregnant. Do you actually not understand how your own body works?
Not necessarily. I can tell from experience with a paranoid ex's late period that periods can potentially be delayed for a number of different reasons. What it comes down to is that it's not always easy to tell what exactly is wrong with you at any given time, which becomes exceptionally worrying when it comes to something like a potential pregnancy.

3. The bill explicitly protects a fetus once--and only once-- a heartbeat can be detected. You're okay with killing something that's developed enough to have a beating heart?
I think (hope) that in these cases, it wouldn't come down to them being okay with killing a fetus that's developed enough to have a heartbeat, but that the option would be available to them if - God forbid - no other option were available.

4. If you don't want to have a child then quit acting like one and mantle some fucking responsibility. Wrap their crap, vet your partners, keep up on your pills and don't do stupid shit and you won't get knocked up. You know what's even scarier than having a baby? Full-blown fuckin' AIDs.
I completely agree that we need to encourage responsibility and proper education when it comes to having safe sex. To me, this could be best accomplished by moving away from abstinence-only sex education in the United States. There's no reason to preclude young students from receiving accurate and pertinent information out of fear that they won't act like puritans or whatever reason underpins its contemporary pursuit, and the idea that however many (hundreds of) thousands of unwanted pregnancies are caused by this deliberate withholding of information sickens me. However, I am not sure how this bill addresses that issue, or how getting an abortion, in general, is indicative of abdicating responsibility. Medical reasons do exist as reasons for women to pursue abortions (eg, if the pregnancy isn't viable or if serious risks of death in childbirth arise), and warning signs might not always be present for parents who planned to have a child to make an informed choice or prevent it from becoming a serious problem.

I can't help but notice that over the past few years I'm seeing exceedingly few efforts to push generalized sexual education and safety, and much, much more of a focused effort towards promoting reckless promiscuity and making certain that an abortion is available all the time, 24/7, regardless of the development of the fetus, rather than promoting the enormous number of contraceptives that are currently available.

I don't for a second believe that either side genuinely cares about the children as much as they insist, though, because I have never in my life seen a single politician or political pundit push for more funding for orphanages or for a greater focus to be put on adoption. It's like you said: It's all emotional smoke and mirrors.
This is something that I completely agree with. The complete disregard for providing more support for orphans, children, parents who have just had a child, pre-natal care, etc. is one of the greatest shames and failures of our country. Endorsing abortion as the only effective means of birth control or a way to have consequence-free sex is barbaric, as is forcing women to have unwanted children and then force themselves into medically hazardous or economically unviable situations as a result. We, as a society, need to take more responsibility for our future, simple as that.

I apologize if I came off as curt or impolite during any part of this post. This is an issue that hits particularly close to home for me, and I want to be sure that my consternation does not lead to me being unfairly rude in response to your posts.

GrungyLawnChlorinate

confirmed hairless and stable
kiwifarms.net
Ocasio-Cortez blown away by first experience with a garbage disposal

Imagine being so unworldly and ignorant that at the age of 29 you flip your shit upon discovering a garbage disposal. It's not some fancy appliance, its often included in even cheap-ass housing.
Didn't she grow up rather middle class and well off? I'm pressing X on the idea that she never even heard of a garbage disposal...
Good point! If sincere then the only explanation is idiocy.

I am conflicted as to whether she is as dumb as she seems to be. That doesn't look like an act, but how can she be 30 and be so dumb?

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I completely agree that we need to encourage responsibility and proper education when it comes to having safe sex. To me, this could be best accomplished by moving away from abstinence-only sex education in the United States. There's no reason to preclude young students from receiving accurate and pertinent information out of fear that they won't act like puritans or whatever reason underpins its contemporary pursuit, and the idea that however many (hundreds of) thousands of unwanted pregnancies are caused by this deliberate withholding of information sickens me. However, I am not sure how this bill addresses that issue, or how getting an abortion, in general, is indicative of abdicating responsibility. Medical reasons do exist as reasons for women to pursue abortions (eg, if the pregnancy isn't viable or if serious risks of death in childbirth arise), and warning signs might not always be present for parents who planned to have a child to make an informed choice or prevent it from becoming a serious problem.
Oh, the bill doesn't handle it in the slightest. Don't get me wrong, I'm staunchly in favour of "pumping the breaks" because it's at least something. The "other side of the fence" doesn't have an argument, it's just wall-to-wall chaos and a literal celebration of abortion without any rhyme or reason behind it. If they were sincere in their argument that their advocacy for abortion was purely out of concern for the mothers' health or the termination of pregnancies due to sexual assault, they wouldn't behave like that.

I'm also nowhere near being in-line with the Fundamentalists when it comes to abortion being completely criminalized due to spirituality, but bills like this are in the very least presenting some sort of structure and order. The crux of the problem is that both sides of the aisle have entrenched themselves so deeply into concern over abortion that they're not understanding the fundamental flaw, which is that abortion isn't even the core problem in the first place.

The entire chalkboard that the argument's scrawled across needs to be smashed into pieces so we can start all over. The argument should be about sexual education again, but sometime over the last decade it mutated into an argument about whether or not it's okay to terminate a pregnancy. I don't think either of them are aware of the fact that they've been screaming at each other so long that they've both become immovable, but the whole thing needs to be scrapped, and both sides need to shut the fuck up.

I realize that I run the risk of repeating myself, but personal responsibility, education concerning the plethora of available contraceptives, and education concerning sterilizing yourself if that's what you desire be should be what the argument centers around. If you absolutely 200% never want children, have your ____ removed/tied. Why not just do that? This isn't the 1950's anymore, you can't just throw your junk all over town and not expect something terrible to happen if you're doing it without any form of caution, and in more than a few instances winding up on either side of a pregnancy is really one of the least terrible things that could happen to you.

I'd rather have ten children than live the rest of my life HIV+ because I did something that could have easily been prevented were I more responsible. If everyone passed down that list and took every available precaution then we wouldn't even need to have the abortion argument in the first place.

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
Oh, the bill doesn't handle it in the slightest. Don't get me wrong, I'm staunchly in favour of "pumping the breaks" because it's at least something. The "other side of the fence" doesn't have an argument, it's just wall-to-wall chaos and a literal celebration of abortion without any rhyme or reason behind it. If they were sincere in their argument that their advocacy for abortion was purely out of concern for the mothers' health or the termination of pregnancies due to sexual assault, they wouldn't behave like that.
I can definitely understand where you're coming from, but I would disagree slightly on the lack of rhyme and reason. It looks like the big conflation there is between getting an abortion ("if women embrace the fact that they control life...") (From Vox's coverage of that performance by Michelle Wolf, the two deserve one another) and female empowerment, which I find to be an exceptionally frightening reason! It seems like it's derived from a need not only for parity, but for dominance over those who should depend on them. I sincerely hope that's a point of view that hasn't spread*, there's a huge difference between desiring bodily autonomy and wanting to wantonly cause pain.

*Of course it has, who am I kidding?

I'm also nowhere near being in-line with the Fundamentalists when it comes to abortion being completely criminalized due to spirituality, but bills like this are in the very least presenting some sort of structure and order. The crux of the problem is that both sides of the aisle have entrenched themselves so deeply into concern over abortion that they're not understanding the fundamental flaw, which is that abortion isn't even the core problem in the first place.

The entire chalkboard that the argument's scrawled across needs to be smashed into pieces so we can start all over. The argument should be about sexual education again, but sometime over the last decade it mutated into an argument about whether or not it's okay to terminate a pregnancy. I don't think either of them are aware of the fact that they've been screaming at each other so long that they've both become immovable, but the whole thing needs to be scrapped, and both sides need to shut the fuck up.
I completely agree, that really is the problem. This is such a critical and immediately divisive issue that the immediate reaction is almost predicated upon the need to scream. On the one hand, if you're pro-life, the people you're arguing with are arguing for killing babies. On the other hand, if you're pro-choice, the people you're arguing with are arguing for the destruction of women's bodily autonomy - it's become such an incendiary topic that it demands that people take the strongest and most immovable stances possible. Maybe it's not that they aren't aware, but that this is their desired form of discussion abortion.

I realize that I run the risk of repeating myself, but personal responsibility, education concerning the plethora of available contraceptives, and education concerning sterilizing yourself if that's what you desire be should be what the argument centers around. If you absolutely 200% never want children, have your ____ removed/tied. Why not just do that? This isn't the 1950's anymore, you can't just throw your junk all over town and not expect something terrible to happen if you're doing it without any form of caution, and in more than a few instances winding up on either side of a pregnancy is really one of the least terrible things that could happen to you.

I'd rather have ten children than live the rest of my life HIV+ because I did something that could have easily been prevented were I more responsible. If everyone passed down that list and took every available precaution then we wouldn't even need to have the abortion argument in the first place.
Absolutely! Support should be focused around providing family planning, information on how to have safe sex and properly use contraceptives, pre and postnatal care for expecting mothers, and heck, considering the perspective endorsed by Michelle Wolf, maybe more of a discussion on empowerment and consent. Something to drive home the fact that equality and empowerment as it relates to sex doesn't have to come from terminating pregnancies, but from the equitable treatment of men and women. There's no better way to illustrate that we have a significant problem than that line I quoted, imagine viewing female empowerment as predicated upon the ability to control life by ending it. Shit's crazy!

I don't think we're ever fully going to move away from the abortion argument - there will always be those who have medical reasons to need it, nonviable pregnancies, etcetera. That, however, is most certainly not an argument for continuing to pursue inaction out of fear of offending people or whatever. We had over 600,00 abortions in 2015 alone, and that number only reflects the ones that were reported to the CDC. I think that's a statistic that gets lost in the shuffle far too frequently, that we've torn an entire generation's chance to experience life in any meaningful way in a matter of years.

Do I like or agree with the Georgia heartbeat bill? No, I don't think it's going to solve anything and will only lead to further entrenchment of people's political inclinations. But I absolutely cannot blame them for trying to do something, anything, to try to make that abortion statistic go down.

TFJohn

kiwifarms.net
Imagine being so unworldly and ignorant that at the age of 29 you flip your shit upon discovering a garbage disposal. It's not some fancy appliance, its often included in even cheap-ass housing.

Good point! If sincere then the only explanation is idiocy.

I am conflicted as to whether she is as dumb as she seems to be. That doesn't look like an act, but how can she be 30 and be so dumb?
Holy fuck, my sides. I didn't know she was so dumb that she didn't know what a garbage disposal is.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
Didn't she grow up rather middle class and well off? I'm pressing X on the idea that she never even heard of a garbage disposal...
I heard on the radio about this story, the guy mentioned that they (apparently) don't have garbage disposals in N.Y.C. because of concerns regarding possible damage they could cause to it's sewer system or something to that effect.

That is the cleverest way of calling someone a cuck that I've ever seen.
I can't believe I didn't get that joke until you explained it. I feel pretty dumb right now.

Sīn the Moon Daddy

🌙 Time and Tide
kiwifarms.net
They aren't kidding. Riley is the very definition of a cuckold, just ask Alex's chief of staff.

Actually knowing Riley he probably really did film them once or twice while sobbing hysterically...

Honestly the image of Riley crying and pissing himself in the corner while some street shitting Pajeet rails his girlfriend is too hilarious to just forget about

Last edited:

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
I heard on the radio about this story, the guy mentioned that they (apparently) don't have garbage disposals in N.Y.C. because of concerns regarding possible damage they could cause to it's sewer system or something to that effect.
That's what I've heard too, and heck, I can understand her consternation. Imagine being alone in your house, minding your own business, and then hearing something unexpected and bizarre like a garbage disposal close to your head. She doesn't seem like the most courageous person in general (which is okay, we can't all be Iron Man!), so I can understand if it was at least an unsettling experience for her.

Reactions: Unog

MembersSchoolPizza

kiwifarms.net
That's what I've heard too, and heck, I can understand her consternation. Imagine being alone in your house, minding your own business, and then hearing something unexpected and bizarre like a garbage disposal close to your head. She doesn't seem like the most courageous person in general (which is okay, we can't all be Iron Man!), so I can understand if it was at least an unsettling experience for her.
Has she never seen a movie, or watched television?

I encountered my first garbage disposal when I was in my early twenties, with my first college apartment. It was a little shithole apartment, but it had a garbage disposal. I knew what it was immediately. Because I'm not a fucking moron.

• Agree
Reactions: Vorhtbame
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino