Culture Alibaba founder defends overtime work culture as 'huge blessing' - Because Chinamen have the ancient gift of overworking

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Source.
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Alibaba Group founder and billionaire Jack Ma has defended the grueling overtime work culture at many of China’s tech companies, calling it a “huge blessing” for young workers.

FILE PHOTO: Alibaba Group co-founder and Executive Chairman Jack Ma attends Alibaba Group's 11.11 Singles' Day global shopping festival in Shanghai, China, November 12, 2018.

FILE PHOTO: Jack Ma, chairman of Alibaba Group attends the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, January 23, 2019.

Ma, a former English teacher who co-founded Alibaba in 1999 and has become one of China’s richest people, said he and early employees regularly worked long hours.

“In this world, everyone wants success, wants a nice life, wants to be respected,” Ma said.

“Let me ask everyone, if you don’t put out more time and energy than others, how can you achieve the success you want?”

Ma referred to the tech industry today where some people are without jobs, or working at companies in search of revenue or facing closure.

“Compared to them, up to this day, I still feel lucky, I don’t regret (working 12 hour days), I would never change this part of me,” he said.

This month activists on Microsoft’s GitHub, the online code repository site, launched a project titled “996.ICU” where tech workers listed Alibaba among the companies ranked as having some of the worst working conditions.

On Thursday, an opinion piece published in a state newspaper argued that 996 violated China’s Labor Law, which stipulates that average work hours cannot exceed 40 hours a week.

“Creating a corporate culture of ‘encouraged overtime’ will not only not help a business’ core competitiveness, it might inhibit and damage a company’s ability to innovate,” the unnamed author wrote in the People’s Daily.
In a way, he's not wrong. He worked his ass off to get his company off the ground, he was the first person to work 996 to get where he is. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who worked just as hard as he did but have gotten nowhere.

Still, lazy western gweilos should take the ancient Chinese workpill.

Anonymous For This

Flying pierogis at vienna.
kiwifarms.net
His mom must have drank the water straight from the tap in China when he was a baby.

That water will either turn you into a mutant or make you shit yourself to death if you don't boil it first.

Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Thiletonomics

도널드 트럼프 승리의 소금.
kiwifarms.net
Just look at the japanese, they are doing fine with that overtime culture, dying at their workplaces because they're ashamed to get off work earlier than their boss. Maybe it's the chinese's way of solving overpopulation.
Koreans are into overtime culture too, they even sometimes mock the Japanese work ethic by calling them lazy! I don't remember if dying from overworking is a thing in South Korea too though.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino