Aliens - The Space Kind

NeverHappened

That's the sound of books
kiwifarms.net

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To be honest, I don't care. If we meet them we will. If anything to set "rules" and such closes our eyes to what is out there.

They might not be little green men, they could be rocks with feelings, they don't have to be carbon based etc. For all we know things we don't know or see could be here right now.

If and when we interact with them we have to keep a clear mind and work with what they bring us, maybe they don't see a need to be social, maybe they want trade etc. If we start planning for anything there's a good chance we will make a mess of first contact.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's the (rather disturbing) theory that intelligent life tends to replace themselves with machines and live out in space rather than on planets.

That is, if they don't outright annihilate themselves first.

Last edited:

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
We're probably the only species in the universe right now which isn't cavemen (most intelligent life in the universe is/was probably cavemen) or living inside of a computer (assuming we aren't all living inside a computer). The computer aliens wouldn't want to talk to us, digital aliens are probably more fun to talk with anyway and besides, who wants to wait millions of years to hear back from those monkey aliens you sent a message to?

Double Dee

Yap, yap. Blah, blah. Drivel, drivel, drivel.
kiwifarms.net
I believe there's some other form(s) of life out there. How advanced it is, I don't know (and don't think we will for ages.) But hopefully, should any decide to make contact, I hope humanity isn't stupid about it and that they are somewhat friendly at first.

Pinup Paracelsus

last of the red-hot swamis
kiwifarms.net
I think it's arrogant to think we're the only planet in all of space, that as far as we know is endless, that has life on it. Whether or not Aliens have been here, or are here currently, is hard for most of us on Earth to undoubtedly prove, but in the vastness of space they've gotta be out there.

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net
I imagine that life probably exists elsewhere in the universe, simply because the universe is so incredibly large, and growing evidence suggests that our planet is not especially unique. Just in the last 30 years hundreds of exoplanets have been identified, and several of them are estimated to be very similar to Earth (in terms of size, composition, distance from their star, etc).

The difficulty we have is knowing how to study these planets, since they're so far away that we can't observe them with any detail. In the future we might be able to get a better look at them by engineering a new type of telescope that utilizes the gravitational lensing effect generated by the Sun, but whether this would turn out to be at all workable in practice remains to be seen.

I personally think that life is probably quite rare, since there are several conditions that would need to be met in order to sustain life as we know it. Something like 70% of the stars in the universe are red dwarf stars, which tend to be so small that any planet orbiting within the 'habitable zone' (the area where liquid water could be sustained) would be tidally locked with their star. This would mean that such planets would likely be uninhabitable, as they would not only be subject to extreme temperatures, but they would also likely be incapable of retaining atmospheres or oceans due to their close proximity to coronal mass ejections causing them to evaporate away. This consideration alone, eliminates pretty much 70% of the universe's solar systems from being able to sustain life.

As for the question of intelligent life or advanced alien civilizations, I imagine that they are exceedingly rare, and probably so rare that we will never make contact with them. If you look at our own planet as a case study, it is estimated that over 5 billion species have existed on Earth throughout it's history, and so far only one of them (us) has evolved enough mentally to be able to even contemplate intelligence, let alone build a civilization or speculate about the existence of other civilizations elsewhere in the universe. Just let that sink in.

XxxmarijnxxX

Sosotiy Cardăsa-ra Terăm-ra oça’adep de’ek
kiwifarms.net
They are already here. I've seen some shit in Montana that can't be explained.
Same just this past month and I was only there for a short period of time...like the only photo I have was right before it disappeared into the cloud. Had to pull off in Minida pass near Lima to watch and try to snap a pic before it went poof. (And was weirded out they MT in general still had and is having snow still in some areas).

Reactions: Piss Clam

Piss Clam

Squeeze me.
kiwifarms.net
Same just this past month and I was only there for a short period of time...like the only photo I have was right before it disappeared into the cloud. Had to pull off in Minida pass near Lima to watch and try to snap a pic before it went poof. (And was weirded out they MT in general still had and is having snow still in some areas).
I hate to be that person, but it is Monida. I traveled all over the state. Beautiful country.

Tags
None