Aliens - The Space Kind

Tiamat

kiwifarms.net
I definitely think that there are aliens out there; the universe is quite big after all and we've only explored so much. They'd obviously be much different than us, seeing they evolved on a different planet.

PumpkinSpiceBitchMeringue

I will never expire, my thots
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wonder if it's too late to becmoe an ufologist?

Side note: I certainly believe life could still develop in harsh enviroments that the vast universe provides if they learn to adapt or find ways around it.

Also, does anyone miss the UFO craze that swept the nation and started to die down once 2010+ started? There's was almost a flying saucer sighting each month. I really found it captivating.

• Feels
Reactions: Randall Fragg
OK, I guess I believe alien life has a fairly high probability to exist somewhere, or many somewheres. In what form, who knows, but some kind of self replicating chemical reaction probably get kicked off every so often now and then.

I don't believe any alien has ever visited earth. I don't believe any of the UFO sightings were of alien vessels. I don't believe anyone has ever been abducted by aliens.

The biggest problem with the idea of communication with aliens is that unless they happen to be really close by (astronomically speaking) is the fact that there would be years of lag between each attempted communication. That's a tough way to try to learn to communicate. It's hard enough learning to communicate with someone face to face when you don't have a common language.

If some form of FTL turns out to be possible I suppose it would change the equation a bit. But we just have no reason to believe FTL is possible at the moment.

Reactions: Horus

idosometimes

kiwifarms.net
It probably does not matter much if aliens exist or do not. It is almost completely unlikely that we would ever see this life.

Let's travel to next closest star system outside solar sytem:
soaceghiyrs.png

The next closest star system is 25.8 trillion miles (40 trillion kilometers) from earth. We have managed a space machine that can travel at 165,000 mph/265,000 km/h (thanks largely to gravity of Jupiter....). It would take 156,363,636 hours to star system if we can maintain 265,000 km/h average velocity. That is a little less then 18,000 years. This is three times longer than humans have existed according to the only true science manual: the bible. If no life there, then you need to keep moving out. Next closest star is about 25,000 years from earth at 265,000 km/h. Then you are looking at 35,000 years travel to next one and then 44,000 years for one after that.

Assuming life exists, you need to catch it at just the right moment. Each of you needs to travel huge distances fairly quickly Otherwise you are just chasing ghosts.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What do you think the societal consequences would be on Earth if Lowell was right and Mars really was home to a more advanced civilization of canal builders? I mean in general, not necessarily if they were hostile.

Julias_Seizure

Puts the rave in depraved
kiwifarms.net
I dont think theyd want anything to do with us. We can detect radiation from other planets so logically so could any aliens. Theyd have been able to see the radiation from hiroshima being nuked and if they decided to investigate further into the cause of that they would probably just write us off as being extinct by the time they could even travel here

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
I dont think theyd want anything to do with us. We can detect radiation from other planets so logically so could any aliens. Theyd have been able to see the radiation from hiroshima being nuked and if they decided to investigate further into the cause of that they would probably just write us off as being extinct by the time they could even travel here
Wait what? And I don't mean radiation from some random gas giant, I mean radiation which is obviously from some sentient species. Show me where aliens are using their solar system's Jupiter as a nuclear waste reserve.

Konover

Farmhand
kiwifarms.net
humans are ultimately water chauvinists. if life exists, it will probably use water AND other solvents (nitrogen, ammonia, etc.) we are looking in the wrong places and for the wrong things, imo.

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
They are already here. I've seen some shit in Montana that can't be explained.
Colorado & Alaska, too. Or out in the desert.

On slow nights, sometimes I'd lay out with the nogs on.

It was also a good way to avoid falling asleep; the sky never got boring.

I think the most interesting question that would arise from contact with intelligent aliens would be how the major religions would react to it.
More interesting than that?

How quickly someone tries to fuck an alien.

• Agree
Reactions: Piss Clam

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
I think actual aliens are either animals on other planets, primitive civilizations and/or they all died millions of years ago before humans existed.

Julias_Seizure

Puts the rave in depraved
kiwifarms.net
Wait what? And I don't mean radiation from some random gas giant, I mean radiation which is obviously from some sentient species. Show me where aliens are using their solar system's Jupiter as a nuclear waste reserve.
I mean if we were looking at a planet that wasnt radioactive and suddenly theres a massive spike in radiation wouldnt we be a bit curious?

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
red dwarf
Replying to an old post here, but I don't think red dwarf planets are as uninhabitable as you say. The day facing side could distribute heat better, or the sun could put out less heat.

Also life may be adapt to a wider range of conditions. There could be aliens on a Europa-like world who think Europa-like worlds are the best place to look for life. There could be hydrocarbon metabolizing life on a Titan-like world who think Titan-like worlds are the best place to look.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Agree aliens are out there, somewhere. Universe is just too big for there to be only one intelligent race.

Have aliens visited Earth? Possibly. Quite possible that evidence of such visits is kept under very, very tight wraps.

Would aliens look like humans? Have no idea.

Have read and heard that a FTL drive is impossible. Not so sure. Some thoughts come to mind. First, a number of things we take for granted today were considered either science fiction or impossible many years ago. Remember the saying, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Just because we can't presently do something doesn't mean someone else, somewhere else, hasn't already done it.

I hope we don't see aliens come here. Any race capable of interstellar travel will be much more advanced than ourselves. And nobody can say if such a race has the same values we do, in general. If we are lucky, the aliens would consider us children - look around, see little of interest, maybe do some trading, leave and make a note to return in X number of years. The aliens could come to conquer Earth. Doubt we'd have much of a chance against them militarily. We could be seen as slaves, food, zoo creatures, maybe soldiers for their army in a battle against another alien race. We could also be conquered by aliens on a mission from their God, whom they consider the source of all good, and who are coming to convert us, one way or another. Anything's possible.

CausticMinory

Meanie, fat guy, doesn't like nice guys.
kiwifarms.net
I think any organism from a foreign planet, galaxy, or universe could be alien. I do kinda think it'd be cool to see alien life that has evolved to thrive on planets that DON'T use have oxygen rich atmosphere.

Webby's Boyfriend

reality cartoonist
kiwifarms.net
Do space aliens exist? Certainly. Are they on Earth and secretly control our society and whatnot? Surely not. As for what they are like, I believe everything is possible. There could be life that we would not even notice at such, and other ones may look like modern humans.

SuudsuAddict

kiwifarms.net
Personally, I would love it if a real alien civilization was discovered. I'd even be happy if non-sapient alien creatures were discovered. I really wish technology was more advanced and adapted to space exploration.

Who knows what's out there?

Tags
None