Aliens - The Space Kind

Horus

Rawdog is the lawdog.
kiwifarms.net
Mathematically speaking, an intelligent species shouod have arisen that is capable of making von neumann probes, and we should have encounterrd evidence on one.

• Disagree
Reactions: WonderWino

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mathematically speaking, an intelligent species shouod have arisen that is capable of making von neumann probes, and we should have encounterrd evidence on one.
There's no way we can actually quantify with statistics something like this when we have zero understanding of how such a system would work. What are the odds that a civilization will be able to succesfully create von Neumann probes? One in a billion? One in 10^78? I don't know enough about von Neumann probes to determine that, and neither does anyone else on this planet. Anyone who says they do is a charlatan.

And even for technology that we already understand, there's still no way to determine the likelihood of these things. What's the likelihood of a species inventing the steam engine? We have a grand total of 1 species known to use steam engines. The only thing that tells us is that it's possible; we can't extrapolate any meaningful conclusion about the likelihood of it out of that.

• Agree
Reactions: WonderWino and Dr W

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
The universe is too big, it's absurdly big, so statistically I'd say there's no way there isn't alien life somewhere out there.

But the irony though is the universe is so big it may not be possible for intelligent life to come into contact with one another.

Dr W

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done.
kiwifarms.net
I hope aliens are aware of humanity, and just sitting back in a mixture of shock, bewilderment, and awe as they see all the stupid shit we regularly do for absolutely no reason.

It'd be funny if they land, walk right up to some high ranking official, and say in perfect English "what the fuck have you been doing with yourselves for the past century?"

WonderWino

kiwifarms.net
If we start planning for anything there's a good chance we will make a mess of first contact.
I always suspected real first contact with any alien life would more or less go like this

Male Idiot said:
I feel like the chance to have an intelligent species evolve is VERY low. Something that happens very rarely in the galaxy. So the intelligent life on every planet star trek star wars thing is unlikely.
Indeed. and the funny thing is it was just as rare in star trek. tldr: the reason there are so may intelligent species around and that they happen to have such similar biology is because one single species evolved, realized nobody else had evolved and that they were alone in the universe, so they decided to seed other planets with life that would eventually evolve into something similar to them so they wouldn't be alone anymore

That said, even our existence is entirely a result of improbably events. We exist only because an asteroid happened to have been on just the right course for who knows how many years to hit the planet and kill of the dinosaurs, which allowed our ancestors a chance to evolve and thrive. Had that not occurred its likely the planet would still be filled with dinosaurs, or at best an intelligent life form descended from them

Reactions: melty

FrailQueen

kiwifarms.net
I think there's probably life outside Earth, but I don't believe in "grays". Seems kind of ridiculous to think "there's life outside the earth! And they look exactly like us, except with bigger heads and gray skin!".
Like c'mon, be a little more creative than that.

Minister Burroughs

kiwifarms.net
Even if aliens existed, they'd probably be assholes. I mean, if you came to Earth and a bunch of smelly bipods grabbed you and stuck you in a glass room and fed you grass, would you really want to cooperate and show them how to cure diseases that they physiologically can't get?
The concept of aliens managing to find us is mind-boggling. The idea of us finding them is laughable. The odds that we're similar enough to have a meaningful exchange of ideas is positively ludicrous. After all, showing up to Africa not speaking the language will get you shot for your fillings. How can we expect aliens to treat us differently?

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Indeed. and the funny thing is it was just as rare in star trek. tldr: the reason there are so may intelligent species around and that they happen to have such similar biology is because one single species evolved, realized nobody else had evolved and that they were alone in the universe, so they decided to seed other planets with life that would eventually evolve into something similar to
Does anyone else remember, a few years ago some scientists were claiming they had found evidence of this happening on earth. They made a big splash with a Reddit post and it got some traction online and seemed somewhat legit. They said they were going to come out with more proof shortly.
Given I haven't heard of it since then I'm going to guess it didn't work out, but I still found it intriguing.

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even if aliens existed, they'd probably be assholes. I mean, if you came to Earth and a bunch of smelly bipods grabbed you and stuck you in a glass room and fed you grass, would you really want to cooperate and show them how to cure diseases that they physiologically can't get?
The concept of aliens managing to find us is mind-boggling. The idea of us finding them is laughable. The odds that we're similar enough to have a meaningful exchange of ideas is positively ludicrous. After all, showing up to Africa not speaking the language will get you shot for your fillings. How can we expect aliens to treat us differently?
At least we share a common ancestor.

What's the last time we tried to develop contact with non-human species? What would be the value to talk with a lion or seal if we could?
What's the chance of an alien being both of comparable intellect and comparable sociability and having comparative perspective to facilitate communication?

By all chance either the alien or the human will stand in absolutely dominating fashion over the other and as a result, will not have interest in communicating as equals.

Calandrino

kiwifarms.net
(already posted in other threads, but...)

No less a newspaper of record than the JYT has admitted that planetary incursions by the saucer men are already well underway. More info from the Pentagon to come.

Eric W. Davis, an astrophysicist who worked as a subcontractor and then a consultant for the Pentagon U.F.O. program since 2007, said that, in some cases, examination of the materials had so far failed to determine their source and led him to conclude, “We couldn’t make it ourselves.”
The constraints on discussing classified programs — and the ambiguity of information cited in unclassified slides from the briefings — have put officials who have studied U.F.O.s in the position of stating their views without presenting any hard evidence.
Mr. Davis, who now works for Aerospace Corporation, a defense contractor, said he gave a classified briefing to a Defense Department agency as recently as March about retrievals from “off-world vehicles not made on this earth.”

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I used to think intelligent life on Titan-like worlds would be the most common because colder is more common. But after reading somewhere that hydrocarbon-based life is unlikely to do much beyond the level of plants, I think the most common kind of intelligent life in the universe may be like on Europa - aquaitc life under an ice shell. This is because while the "habitable zone" is pretty narrow, there can be Europa-like worlds far beyond any habitable zone, or even around gas giants with no parent suns. Tidal heating is enough to make them active.

schizoid PD

kiwifarms.net
I've always been interested in "conspiracy theories" I regularly check out websites that discuss it. Whats interesting is that the early whistleblower from the 80's still hasn't been debunked.

antigrav.jpg

lazar.jpg

roswell.jpg

If the ayys are out there and they know about us, they probably handle us the same way we handle natives that had no outside contact with the world: far away with a giant camera, lets just hope they aren't creepy about and watch us in our sleep while masturbating furiously. If they are out there they'll probably contact us the moment we actually start to go outside our solar system in numbers.

Bob Lazar
Dank Net made a good doc about the guy and his group of friends, doesn't go much into the ufo stuff but everything else around it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2356IOTrY

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
I can't remember where but I recall someone I used to work with saying the classic grey alien is actually our future.

Our skin turns grey from lack of exposure to the sun, our eyes become enlarged from generations of staring at harsh light screens, and finally our fingers fuse together into three with big tips to hold and use touch screens better.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
I like the hypothesis of Passport to Magonia or maybe the Jungian one, that would make aliens not extraterrestrial but extradimensional. Like faeries and trolls and bigfoot are the same as aliens and they are some astral beings or maybe egregors from our collective unconscious trying to send us criptic messages of things humanity us neglected, its such a cool sci fi concept. Not much of a believer honestly, but i really like folklore and mythology and see aliens are something that ties to that, like a faerie myth for a cientific secular world.

Reactions: Zonga

Zonga

kiwifarms.net
I think there's probably life outside Earth, but I don't believe in "grays". Seems kind of ridiculous to think "there's life outside the earth! And they look exactly like us, except with bigger heads and gray skin!".
Like c'mon, be a little more creative than that.
One reasonable conjecture, is that greys are basically biological robots built by the actual aliens, to give humans something familiar to interact with. Sort of like zookeepers using bird puppets to feed baby eagles with.

Combine that idea with a gross ignorance of the uncanny valley and you get greys.

Zonga

kiwifarms.net
I like the hypothesis of Passport to Magonia or maybe the Jungian one, that would make aliens not extraterrestrial but extradimensional. Like faeries and trolls and bigfoot are the same as aliens and they are some astral beings or maybe egregors from our collective unconscious trying to send us criptic messages of things humanity us neglected, its such a cool sci fi concept. Not much of a believer honestly, but i really like folklore and mythology and see aliens are something that ties to that, like a faerie myth for a cientific secular world.
The UTH has some good stuff going for it, but it's also plausible that our brains just happen to be good at generating conscious-seeming behavior out of noise. Combine that with weird electromagnetic shit and who knows what a person will see.

Tags
None