Alita Thread - Because we obviously need one

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
I heard the movie was great and pissed off the woke brigade, but I can't get past her big stupid eyes. It's such a crap effect, like the eyes of that alien wet nurse in 2009's Star Trek.

View attachment 1459242
As far as Western adaptations of manga goes, it's probably the best one ever. Which is, admittedly, damning it with faint praise considering how bad most of them are. Still, it did a nice job of capturing the basic "feel" of Gunnm, even if it wasn't a literal page-for-page adaptation of the first few volumes. The look of Alita is jarring at first, but I found I got used to it pretty quickly as I watched the movie. It makes it easier once you recognize she's not supposed to look entirely human.

I do hope they get a sequel green-lit, but it probably won't because of the Disney buyout of Fox.

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They adapted the OVA! Aaaaaaagh!

Just kidding, it wasn't bad at all. I told people, years ago, that the act structure from the first four volumes was going to get cut and pasted around. In the original, Hugo/Yugo's death is what motivated Alita/Gally to get into Motorball. However, his death is also the most climactic thing to happen in the first four volumes, so Motorball would have to go in the middle and his death would inevitably be placed at the end. People were like "Naaaaah, they wouldn't do that, it has to be a pure adaptation".

Well, here we are, and yes, that's exactly how they did it.

Yukito Kishiro apparently disliked the OVA so much, it soured him on anime adaptations. Who else would donate their fucking kidney to see Madhouse redeem themselves and do a TV adaptation of the entire series with the same animators as One Punch Man?

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yukito Kishiro apparently disliked the OVA so much, it soured him on anime adaptations.
I'll admit I have passing familiarity with the comics, but what was so bad about the OVAs? As far as "based on the much longer-running comic but here's what we decided to animate" era of anime goes it's pretty good

Reactions: Hatoful Dandy

Distant Stare

Drop Feet First
kiwifarms.net
Does the world really need yet another Alita adaptation?
Yes, I want to see the the Mad Max desert fight scenes from the later manga. I dont really care that much about the motor ball arc.

I heard the movie was great and pissed off the woke brigade

243522.JPG

It is called cuteness aggression.

I think that extreme leftists exhibit it, which is also why they dress so terribly, draw ugly cartoons, shave their heads, and are anti-children.

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does the world really need yet another Alita adaptation?
Listen to yourself. Think about what you're saying for a minute. You're saying:
  • I don't want to see a nuclear-powered train.
  • I don't want to see a multi-story cyborg centaur dude with a spear.
  • I don't want to see a Schwerer Gustav replica being used to attack a city hanging from an orbital tether.
tumblr_pgxkrvCSN81w3yzuso1_1280.jpg

Distant Stare

Drop Feet First
kiwifarms.net
  • I don't want to see a Schwerer Gustav replica being used to attack a city hanging from an orbital tether.
View attachment 1459501
You forgot the people's heads screwed on to missiles and the giant AI centipede, that was cool

Ita Mori

Heh
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1459501
This just makes me want to play Metal Slug 3.

Tags
None