Alita Thread - Because we obviously need one

Forgetful Gynn

Riots and comedy are but symptoms of the times
kiwifarms.net
For reference, this thread was made because this user wouldn't stop posting pictures of Alita every single page of the Random Pics and Gifs thread despite people complaining.

In that regard, I vote in favor of a mod renaming this to "Alita Fan Leprosarium."
So what? Just scroll past it, goddamn.

Have a heart.
aa738d49ab262276ba34242128a9e838.jpg

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
If Hollywood wants to adapt more OVAs I'd like to see movies of Gunsmith Cats and Read or Die.

Gunsmith Cats would be pretty easy to adapt as it's already set in the USA and fits Hollywood's modern diversity quotas, as the main character is technically an Indian American woman.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Pokemonquistador2

Distant Stare

Drop Feet First
kiwifarms.net
So what? Just scroll past it, goddamn.

Have a heart.
View attachment 1460000
They made the right decision when they made Alita's behavior overtly creepy in this scene. You can see Hugo's shock and horror well.

1553868582112.jpg

This is my favorite panel in the entire series thus far. Years later and she still misses Yugo. Gets me right in the feels...

Dang Woodchucks!

Bravery is not a function of firepower.
kiwifarms.net
As far as Western adaptations of manga goes, it's probably the best one ever. Which is, admittedly, damning it with faint praise considering how bad most of them are. Still, it did a nice job of capturing the basic "feel" of Gunnm, even if it wasn't a literal page-for-page adaptation of the first few volumes. The look of Alita is jarring at first, but I found I got used to it pretty quickly as I watched the movie. It makes it easier once you recognize she's not supposed to look entirely human.

I do hope they get a sequel green-lit, but it probably won't because of the Disney buyout of Fox.
It's also the best adaptation of Astro Boy made in the west, if only because the one we "got" is so far removed from the real thing, just having "fatherly scientist cares for superpowerful robot offspring" qualifies it as such.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If Hollywood wants to adapt more OVAs I'd like to see movies of Gunsmith Cats and Read or Die.

Gunsmith Cats would be pretty easy to adapt as it's already set in the USA and fits Hollywood's modern diversity quotas, as the main character is technically an Indian American woman.
I think the Chicago-verse would lose some of the zing if it just filmed in Chicago instead of painstakingly recreating it in drawings.

Forgetful Gynn

Riots and comedy are but symptoms of the times
kiwifarms.net
It's also the best adaptation of Astro Boy made in the west, if only because the one we "got" is so far removed from the real thing, just having "fatherly scientist cares for superpowerful robot offspring" qualifies it as such.
Alita is a modified cyborg (the actual reason for the big eyes is that they let her see better) natsoc from mars. Ito didn't make her, he found her lying in a heap in a massive trashpile and stuck her in a new body after hers was mangled trying to destroy jeruzalem.

You might as well say that kimba the white lion and the lion king are the same thing.

Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Dang Woodchucks!

Bravery is not a function of firepower.
kiwifarms.net
Alita is a modified cyborg (the actual reason for the big eyes is that they let her see better) natsoc from mars. Ito didn't make her, he found her lying in a heap in a massive trashpile and stuck her in a new body after hers was mangled trying to destroy jeruzalem.

You might as well say that kimba the white lion and the lion king are the same thing.
Never said he made her, just cared for her. And I also said it's the "closest thing to an Astro adaptation", not that it was a literal 1:1 copy.

... which is still a parallel given Dr. O'shea/Ochanomitsu wasn't Atom's creator, he just took care of him. :smug:

Reactions: XYZpdq

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
It was nice seeing it but after reading the manga I can't help but feel that they are completely wasting a lot of potential events, especially with Nova who's legit an awesome villain.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Distant Stare

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
Listen to yourself. Think about what you're saying for a minute. You're saying:
  • I don't want to see a nuclear-powered train.
  • I don't want to see a multi-story cyborg centaur dude with a spear.
  • I don't want to see a Schwerer Gustav replica being used to attack a city hanging from an orbital tether.
View attachment 1459501
by the time they write any of those things into the franchise will have hit Resident Evil levels of mediocre schlock.

SojuDrnkr

Stays after last call.
kiwifarms.net
I saw it with a few friends and I really enjoyed it 8/10. The action was good, a fun story but it didn't take itself too seriously.

Tags
None