TGWTG Allison Pregler / Obscurus Lupa / Movie Nights - Reviewer, The vindictive leader of #ChangeTheChannel, GOTIS personified, vendetta against The Cinema Snob

Azafran90

*Space Blancmange*
kiwifarms.net
Looking through her personal twitter gave me brain cancer, but I found these recollections:

Some dude's blog entry about the whole ordeal
Scott Shaw's side of the story
The documentary, 5.291 views and only 152 likes, lmao

so far it seems like it was an old lolcow finding a young one.

I'll leave the link to her tumblr here in case someone else wants to give a try to find the posts were she cries about Scott Shaw calling her a "little girl", I'll keep looking for them if I find the time.

Edit: Found them!

Scott Shaw: First Contact
http://scottshaw.com/news.html
Here’s a link to Scott Shaw’s website, where he talks about the video I did on him, as well as the Max Hell review and the Zen Film parody Phelan and I made. But even more awesome is the fact that he contacted me on Facebook personally to talk about the video. He seems to have a very good sense of humor about all of this, and he even invited me to talk to him sometime. Say what you will about his videos or philosophies, but this is pretty damn cool.
Check out the youtube video he links where he’s talking about Zen Filmmaking, it’s interesting if you want to hear his methods in his own words.

So, Let’s Talk About Scott Shaw
http://www.scottshaw.com/suckerpunch.html
If you read the above article, you’ll get part of the story, and perhaps that’ll help you get Scott’s perspective on this. I’m going to detail a little bit more here to flesh things out a bit, but let me preface this with the fact that I DO NOT want you to contact Scott Shaw on my behalf, and this is not a cry to get my “army” after him. Just in case Scott, his “webmaster” or his “attorney” should stumble upon this.
A little over a week ago, I was contacted by Scott Shaw on Facebook about my Scott Shaw and Zen Filmmaking video, The Roller Samurai Vampire Slayers, and my Max Hell Frog Warrior review. He said he thought the videos were amusing, if not slanted, and he asked about the use of his music in the Roller Samurai parody. Obviously since it was a parody of his work, that’s why we used his score, but because he continually has brought it up, I apologize for our use of it. I also appreciated that he took the time to plug our videos on his website. He even invited Phelan and I to chat with him sometime if we’re ever in his area. All in all, he went above and beyond to be friendly and prove that he wasn’t such a bad guy after all. And I told him so, that maybe I got a skewed view from his books and he wasn’t the person I painted him to be.
I asked Scott to clarify on the facts I got wrong in my Zen Video, so if I was spreading misinformation I could correct it. I really do want to make sure that I’m telling people the correct information. For those who want to know, he brought up the fact that Pocket Ninjas is not a Zen film and he was not a part of it save for a small clip from a previous movie, I got the location wrong for Frogtown News, and Donald G Jackson did hire a bodyguard during Rock N. Roll Cops, but it was not to protect him from Shaw (I misunderstood what I had read in the book). From this, I continued to talk at length with Scott, and though we both disagreed on some of the things the other did (I disagree with some of his methods, he thinks my reviews were slanted and didn’t like how much footage was used), we were on pretty friendly terms. So I thought, anyway. I thought it was really cool that he was talking to me, he even asked for copies of the films Phelan and I made for his archives. I really dug that he took the time to say anything.
That being said, a lot of his comments were a bit passive aggressive, and at times condescending. I’m not sure how he was intending some of the things he said, but I appreciated how he was handling it for the most part, he seemed to have a sense of humor about everything. However, there were still comments about how I was a pretty girl on the internet and had to “know what I was doing” and that geek boys would come to “defend my honor” because of the videos, hence why he was getting hate mail. I don’t know at what point I ever said in the videos that my honor needed defending, or made anything personally about me. He also made mention, like he says in the article, of an attorney he talked to who was mad about the videos. But he claimed to have talked him down, but to be careful of how I did things on the net, particularly with how I used footage in the videos. He also claimed that I brought the sales of Max Hell down to 0% and I personally killed the sales of the film. How did he get this data and how would he have it after less than a month of the review being online? I don’t know, but I suspect he thinks that I’m just a stupid, pretty girl on the internet. He likes to mention I’m a young girl on the internet a lot, I guess.
The reviews are critiques, parody, and transformative works, and there’s nothing illegal about doing them. Shaw seems to have this mentality that only positive reviews are okay, otherwise you “don’t get it,” are “jealous,” or “hurting the sales of the film.” And apparently you can’t critique a film unless you’ve made one. I’ve stated my thoughts about this before, so I won’t elaborate. He also seemed to have no problem with a gentleman quoting his books on youtube without permission, or someone posting his photos online. But those were positive videos.
Scott also offered to send me any of his or Donald G Jackson’s movies for free. I told him it was a generous offer, but I would prefer to purchase them since I wouldn’t feel right about getting them for free and then reviewing them. Scott proceeded to say I was putting him in the status of a “whore” and “paying to fuck him.” But jokingly, of course. We were friends, after all.
So, a little bit ago, the plugs to our videos disappeared from his website (though his news changes all the time, it’s temporary), and a new article appeared about copyright and stealing other people’s works. I found the timing on this conspicuous, and also his mention of reviews on the internet where people take his work and intermingle themselves with the footage to profit from it seemed oddly specific. There was also a new copyright warning at the bottom of the page. Naturally I assumed this was about me, and I tweeted about it. Several people took it upon themselves to e-mail him, and Shaw took this as me telling them to attack him because of what I tweeted. Suddenly there was link at the bottom of the article that wasn’t there before, crediting it to his book Scribbles on the Restroom wall. The article also had a new sentence added to it and the copyright warning was gone. Maybe he edits his articles after reposting them, I don’t know.
He contacted me on facebook again, to ask why I was attacking him and also why I hadn’t sent the films yet (not that there would be time for them to get to him yet, but I’m not particularly inclined to send them now). He claimed I should stop my “fan attack” and that he didn’t read the e-mails anyway, he was forwarded them by his webmaster, who put up the article about stealing and took down the links. He’s too busy, he told me, to read them all, and worry about this kind of thing. I messaged him back saying I thought the article was oddly specific, but maybe the way he came off was differently than he intended. I said I did not tell anyone to attack him, I hoped I was wrong, and told him how passive aggressive he came off sometimes. I said best of luck, and that was it.
So, the Sucker Punch article was the last thing I’ve heard from him. And, I suppose, that’s my story. Make of it what you will, and please, please don’t try to “defend my honor.” I just want both sides of the story out. Hopefully it’s not too slanted or one-sided.
And if you’re reading this, Scott, best of luck. I know you’re a busy guy. That’s why you’re focusing on a girl on the internet.
This is life.
This is Zen.
This is Obscurus Lupa signing out…
Closing Out the Shaw Case
I write this not to perpetuate the Scott Shaw case, but to close things out and sort of make an official statement about it. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, the long and short is this: Scott Shaw contacted Blip to have the Max Hell Review and Zen Filmmaking video both removed, which was successful. There are a lot of personal, petty things on both sides of the debate (yes, this includes me), so I’ll just include the facts here because that’s really all that’s necessary.
I don’t blame Scott Shaw for how he feels because it’s his work, though I do wish things had gone differently. This is not something I’m going to get into a big battle over, because in the end, it’s not a big deal, it’s really not. The only reason I would need to be fighting this would be on personal principle, and honestly I don’t want to be that person.
The reason I do these reviews isn’t to attack people. If I attack a movie, fine, but I never want to attack someone personally or turn these comedy reviews into a weapon. If it becomes personal in a negative way, then it becomes unsavory, and I’m a comedian first and foremost. The Scott Shaw and Zen Filmmaking video was one of the rare cases where I talked about just the filmmaker, and that was only because his methods and attitude were crucial to understanding the final product. It was never meant as an attack video, and already this has become a bigger drama than it needs to be.
That being said, I’ve just got to move on, because it’s the right thing to do. I need to stop being petty, eat some humble pie, and live my life. Because it’s not really as dramatic as it seems to be. :)
Archive

Last edited:

TerribleIdeas™

kiwifarms.net
I made the mistake of googling images of this broad, and that face is a fucking travesty, compared to the body on her. And her twitter is definitely complete cancer.

• Feels
Reactions: Azafran90

Laughingjoke2

kiwifarms.net
Looking through her personal twitter gave me brain cancer, but I found these recollections:

Some dude's blog entry about the whole ordeal
Scott Shaw's side of the story
The documentary, 5.291 views and only 152 likes, lmao

so far it seems like it was an old lolcow finding a young one.

I'll leave the link to her tumblr here in case someone else wants to give a try to find the posts were she cries about Scott Shaw calling her a "little girl", I'll keep looking for them if I find the time.
Jesus Christ Channel Awesome Past and Current all think "fair use" is a magic blanket term to show as much footage as they want for crying out loud all these spergs claim to be Mystery Science Theater fans you'd think they'd pick up on why all their films were Public Domain movies.

Cowpies

kiwifarms.net
Just look at the way she looks at him in the midnight screenings they did together. For someone that that claims to be asexual, she sure looks like a thirsty cow in those videos.
I always thought so too. She seems to have a massive lady boner for him. I'd like to definitely say that they never fucked, but Brad has proven to have really shitty taste in women.

• Agree

Random Internet Person

Follower of the Weeb Wars
kiwifarms.net
I always thought so too. She seems to have a massive lady boner for him. I'd like to definitely say that they never fucked, but Brad has proven to have really shitty taste in women.
Not sure how they’d rate on the 10 scale since I never cared enough, but it could also be that he’s unlucky.

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
Jesus Christ Channel Awesome Past and Current all think "fair use" is a magic blanket term to show as much footage as they want for crying out loud all these spergs claim to be Mystery Science Theater fans you'd think they'd pick up on why all their films were Public Domain movies.
Not all of them (I don't think the Sandy Frank ones were, they got in trouble over the Godzilla episodes, and This Island Earth was forced upon then by Universal), but most of them certainly are films either in the PD or just not cared enough by those who own the rights. Natually you'd figure most of the people who got their "inspiration" from Joel, Mike and the bots would follow suit, but nope.

Though when the people making the movies that get "reviewed" are just as autistic over their creations as the CA reviewers are over fair use (Just looking at Shaw's own filmography is a nightmare in and of itself), it's hard to actually take a side on the situation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sexy Times Hitler

Azafran90

*Space Blancmange*
kiwifarms.net
What I find worth nothing about the whole Shaw drama is that if you put these posts next to her Brad Twitter they read almost alike, she's been using the same "don't bully them plis" argument for years, all the while trowing passive-aggressive remarks towards them.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
Very few of MST3K’s movies were in the public domain, probably about 20 in their entire run. But they don’t attempt to play the fair use card. They actually pay for the rights to use the movies instead of bitching about YouTube’s flagging system. Granted, I’m not expecting CA and its ilk to fork over cash, but they have really stretched the limits of fair use. Do they think Siskel & Ebert would have been able to play fifteen minutes of clips from a movie on their show?

Blonde Bomb

when you got it, flaunt it
kiwifarms.net
I always thought she wanted to ride Brad's coattails, sort of be the female Cinema Snob, like Lindsay was the Nostalgia Chick..

But I do agree, she looked at Brad in a way that she never really looks at Phelan. Even if it wasn't a 'get in my pants' sort of love, it definitely looked like at the very least, romantic love or admiration/adoration.

Random Internet Person

Follower of the Weeb Wars
kiwifarms.net
I always thought she wanted to ride Brad's coattails, sort of be the female Cinema Snob, like Lindsay was the Nostalgia Chick..

But I do agree, she looked at Brad in a way that she never really looks at Phelan. Even if it wasn't a 'get in my pants' sort of love, it definitely looked like at the very least, romantic love or admiration/adoration.
I guess. I mean, Lupa’s z-grade, so bad it’s good action and horror movies isn’t a far cry from Snob’s material.

Blonde Bomb

when you got it, flaunt it
kiwifarms.net
I guess. I mean, Lupa’s z-grade, so bad it’s good action and horror movies isn’t a far cry from Snob’s material.
Fair enough. I still think she sort of wanted to be the female Brad...she wanted to emulate his success because his style & the material he reviewed appealed to her. Not to mention he seems to be a pretty cool guy.

ManateeHunter

Resident Mecha Girl Tentacle Hentai Activist
kiwifarms.net
Fair enough. I still think she sort of wanted to be the female Brad...she wanted to emulate his success because his style & the material he reviewed appealed to her. Not to mention he seems to be a pretty cool guy.
The sad thing is that she didn't get the memo where it states that the voice and tone need to be monotone, not the review itself.

Jaimas

YOU AND ALL YOUR KIND ARE COWARDS!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino