Alternative Operating Systems - There's more than Windows, MacOS and Linux

Blondie

I hope my FBI agent is okay
kiwifarms.net
So can I ask y'all what exactly FreeBSD and OpenBSD don't have in common? they seem in my Windows laden eye, the exact same with a different twist on the name with BSD slapped on it, I'd love to switch to BSD since I don't want to be raped by the Lainux faggots, but I really would like to know so I can switch to the SUPERIOR BSD.

Yotsubaaa

Discord is the best!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So can I ask y'all what exactly FreeBSD and OpenBSD don't have in common? they seem in my Windows laden eye, the exact same with a different twist on the name with BSD slapped on it, I'd love to switch to BSD since I don't want to be raped by the Lainux faggots, but I really would like to know so I can switch to the SUPERIOR BSD.
Wasn't FreeBSD the one that got ruined by Randi Harper, and the other general faggotry that just pervades the project? I've always heard people recommend OpenBSD instead of FreeBSD.

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
FreeBSD has the biggest install base of all the BSDs, so finding help is probably going to be easier. Also all of the "easy-to-use" BSDs derivatives like GhostBSD and FuryBSD come from FreeBSD.

OpenBSD is autistically focused on security, so if you want the most secure non-TempleOS operating system, OpenBSD is probably it. Beyond that, the project has produced several pieces of software that have become widely available on other *nix systems like OpenSSH and tmux. I believe they are more likely to dogfood their own OS, so I think you get same amount of hardware support as with FreeBSD.
Wasn't FreeBSD the one that got ruined by Randi Harper, and the other general faggotry that just pervades the project? I've always heard people recommend OpenBSD instead of FreeBSD.
Yeah, you see people talking about that in Open Source Community Watch thread, although it has spread to other FOSS projects like the Linux kernel and GNOME.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
I like firing up a VM and fucking around with FreeDOS once in a while to see if anything cool can be useable with it. I also like running a workable Amiga in WinUAE for the feels. I don't know if ReactOS on top of FreeDOS will be that useable ever, but hey, it's fun. I used to know someone online who was autistic for OS2 and BeOS, if that counts at all.

I've used a C64 to go on the Net and it was a bit surreal, if only because I had to use my PC as a server in order to get the web pages to display on it. Not recommended, but interesting.

I've run BSD on my Dreamcast just for the hell of it and it was fun.

Reactions: fag0t

Blondie

I hope my FBI agent is okay
kiwifarms.net
FreeBSD has the biggest install base of all the BSDs, so finding help is probably going to be easier. Also all of the "easy-to-use" BSDs derivatives like GhostBSD and FuryBSD come from FreeBSD.

OpenBSD is autistically focused on security, so if you want the most secure non-TempleOS operating system, OpenBSD is probably it. Beyond that, the project has produced several pieces of software that have become widely available on other *nix systems like OpenSSH and tmux. I believe they are more likely to dogfood their own OS, so I think you get same amount of hardware support as with FreeBSD.
Shit, I apologize for not replying sooner, didn't have my notifs for quotes on lmao.

Honestly I enjoy me some security but I remember getting entranced from some FreeBSD(?) ricing, but honestly I'll most likely go for OpenBSD if I don't truly make a decision, I appreciate the explanation.

Forgot to mention I'll be looking into GhostBSD, I know it wasn't really the main question but I never heard of that so, thanks for letting me know that it exists.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been contemplating replacing the archaic operating system that is on my eMac G4 (OS X Tiger, could upgrade to Leopard but its still old) with either MintPPC or MorphOS. The only trouble is that I don't know how well the compatibility is with apps on the former, and I do not know what the latter is, other than being based on AmigaOS and costing money.
I haven't used Linux on Mac since the 68k era, but MintPPC looks like the way to go if you want to do this... however:
  1. You are at the G4 processor revision, which means 32bit PowerPC, which is no longer officially supported by Debian. The Debian project does continue to build these packages, as a kind of test of whether the source packages are actually portable or not, but they might stop at any point and don't really care if things get broken.
  2. It's based on Debian Unstable, which means (as the MintPPC guy acknowledges) it will be broken for upgrades/installs at times. Much more so than Unstable for x86/64 would be.
  3. You should read as many guides on installations on PPC Macs and Open Firmware as you can before doing this.
Bash and SSHD are kept up to date. It doesn't look like Chrome/Chromium or Firefox/IceWeasel are. If you use it as a text terminal, it might be an upgrade (as NetBSD or FreeBSD might also be). If you use a web browser more, look at TenFourFox.

• Informative
Reactions: TaimuRadiu
Tags
None