Am I crazy or is Breitbart actually pretty good?

• Ongoing DDoS attack.

NoblyUnsavage

Russian Zionist Muslim Disinformation Dispenser
kiwifarms.net
I've always avoided Breitbart due to its reputation as being a shitty clickbait rag. But today when looking up stuff about the whole impeachment saga, I was surprised to find Breitbart was so much more informative and in depth (and not copied from CNN) than the competition.

Obviously the site leans right pretty hard, but the factual reporting contains all the info you find on CNN or fox, and much more.

They also still have comment sections on the stories, although it's suspiciously in agreement with the author most of the time.

Have I just been missing out? Am I missing something obvious?

The story that inspired me to post this was about the "white house officials confirm quid pro quo" headline from CNN. I couldn't find much substance on that story anywhere else.

What other non mainstream news sites don't suck?

NoblyUnsavage

kiwifarms.net
Go back 2 Russia U Zionist plant.
But... The Russians and the Israelis hate each other, don't they?

Breitbart is definitely right-slanted. They're at their best when they're exposing the corporate shillery of competing publications.
So I guess that makes sense, as the story I really thought was good referred to a CNN headline.

Their opinion stuff is thoroughly predictable, and pretty pointless to read, but that's true of almost all the media sites as far as I can tell. Fox, the WSJ, and Forbes at least keep you guessing which side they'll come out on.

NoblyUnsavage

kiwifarms.net
If fucking CNN is your standard then anything will look good. But no, Breitbart is trash, its just that its right-leaning trash instead of left-leaning trash.
No, CNN's not my standard, just in this case it was CNN that made the original headline. The thing is... I don't know what a decent middle of the road standard looks like or if it even exists.

I can accept that the opinion sections will suck. Its all the missing facts and info that really bothers me.

Can you recommend any non trash publications?

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
No, CNN's not my standard, just in this case it was CNN that made the original headline. The thing is... I don't know what a decent middle of the road standard looks like or if it even exists.

I can accept that the opinion sections will suck. Its all the missing facts and info that really bothers me.

Can you recommend any non trash publications?
Its been awhile but for foreign policy I used to go to The Diplomat and Eurasianet (be warned, this one specifically is wonky and half of the time will talk about extremely niche stuff that is never going to prove useful to you.) Waaaaaaaaay back in the day, before the paywall, Foreign Policy had op eds by powerful people, ambassadors and senators and such. They weren't always "good" articles but at least they were being written by powerful people instead of people who's only job is to write op eds. Domestic policy? The Hill has decent "just the facts" articles along with its less worthwhile opinion section. Wikipedia's current events tab is a decent round up of breaking international news, though in recent years its increasingly been filled with shit that nobody cares about like national rugby championships and flooding that kills five people in the Congo.

Daily Kos Elections is incredibly biased, but its probably the best and most up to date website out there for elections horse-race shit (be warned, the do NOT cover the Dem presidential primary and commenters are banned from talking about it.) This isn't a troll answer either, it is by far the best place for anyone to go for this news, regardless of political affiliation and it seems like you claim to have a pretty good bullshit detector anyway so have at it.

Equivocal_Iki

kiwifarms.net
Haven't visited the site in years, but I remember listening to some of the podcasts featured on there. Bullets with AWR Hawkins (discontinued) was great, it was as if he memorized every mass shooting and gun free zone. Also John Carney gave the only good explanation on why the tariffs on China are actually not protectionist, but retaliatory, the only acceptable kind. Some smart people on there, but I can't take their headlines seriously.

Last edited: