AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) - News, views, and Jews, oh my!

The Janitor

Cleaning the apocalypse, one bloody mop at a time
kiwifarms.net
This is my very first thread here so keep that in mind if I mess up. I'm also not 100% tech savvy, but I will edit this post later with more details.

August 6th was the official 30th anniversary of Metroid. To celebrate, a guy named DoctorM64 released the first full version of a project that he spent 8 years working on: a remake to an underrated game from a franchise that has very few bad games.

Now, I've never played Metroid ii before, so I decided to try it out through the remake. Simply put, it's probably the third best Metroid game in existence. However, the fun didn't last long. The big bad jewtendo struck them down with a DMCA takedown (it has been checked and it's legit). There are no c&d notices at the moment, but that doesn't mean it won't happen soon.

Currently, the only way to get the game is through torrents, but that can be harmful to your computer. Jewtendo also decided to release a demo for their Metroid themed soccer game, trying desperately to hide the better game from people.

For those few who've played the original, how does it compare to the remake? I'm genuinely curious and accept all critique.

Last thing: if you want to play it, message me and I can send you the
.zip files. Not sure if this works, but it's worth a shot.

Catgirls are Love

Make Catgirls Purr Again
kiwifarms.net
It's been well over a decade since I played the original, but here's what I think.

It's nice to have a much larger viewable area instead of having Samus take up practically a third of the screen. Environments are much more complicated due to the inclusion of all of the Metroid 3 powerups, but there's nothing particularly frustrating or infuriating. That said, the same general layout of the areas has been kept the same, with the next area becoming available only once you've killed every Metroid in the current unlocked one. There's also the map just in case, which is mostly going to be used for backtracking to find powerups you couldn't previously pick up due to not having the right items (speed boost, powerbomb, supermissile). There was never a need to backtrack in Metroid 2 unless you wanted a specific weapon again (weapon upgrades didn't stack and there were no powerups aside from Varia suit, spider ball and space jump).

In summary, it's Metroid 2 with Metroid 3's powerups and some of the GBA Metroid movement mechanics (ledgegrabbing), starring special minibosses that aren't Metroids. If you didn't know otherwise, you'd think it's a Metroid game made and released by Nintendo. It also helps that it looks and sounds wonderful. A lot of effort was put into this, and it shows. It may be easier than the original (don't remember if Metroid 2 was hard or I was terrible at vidya), but it is most definitely friendlier than the original. You'll never run into the "Now I have no idea where to go or find that one little bastard I missed" moments from the original game.

tl;dr Go play it.

The Janitor

kiwifarms.net
Only criticism I have are the omega metroids, but it's understandable; by the time you reach them, you are pretty strong, but I still have times where I'm pushed into a corner to lose half my health.

MediExcalibur2012

kiwifarms.net
Don't you hate that feeling when a company does a ceast and diceast; all cause they can't either accept criticism or face the facts that fans can make better games than them

The Janitor

kiwifarms.net
As of writing, the plot has apparently thicc-end.

At the following E3 (2017), Nintendo announced an official remake to Metroid II. DoctorM64 has come out and given his condolences to the team at Nintendo, and many fans are just waiting. When that game comes out, people will probably bring AM2R back up again as a comparison piece (which I've seen), but it's just an interesting story in general.

Baphomet_Chan

kiwifarms.net
Don't you hate that feeling when a company does a ceast and diceast; all cause they can't either accept criticism or face the facts that fans can make better games than them
When it comes to japanese companies like Sony and Nintendo, being outdone by a fan is a matter of pride. It is a loss of honor which is a serious transgression. So there is a strong motivation to destroy the person behind the transgression and since dueling is illegal these days, legal action is the only remedy. Sega is one of the few exceptions.

However I have noticed a pattern to Nintendo's behavior. Usually they ignore stuff like this unless it gets in the way of a similar project they are working on. The said project gets announced later. So if a major Nintendo fan project gets C&D'd then chances are that Nintendo is planning on announcing something similar. (Which technically makes them honorless dogs who steal ideas from their fans.)

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When it comes to japanese companies like Sony and Nintendo, being outdone by a fan is a matter of pride. It is a loss of honor which is a serious transgression. So there is a strong motivation to destroy the person behind the transgression and since dueling is illegal these days, legal action is the only remedy. Sega is one of the few exceptions.

However I have noticed a pattern to Nintendo's behavior. Usually they ignore stuff like this unless it gets in the way of a similar project they are working on. The said project gets announced later. So if a major Nintendo fan project gets C&D'd then chances are that Nintendo is planning on announcing something similar. (Which technically makes them honorless dogs who steal ideas from their fans.)
I thought something cool happened like the creator made a sequel or spinoff or got to collaborate with Nintendo.

Fuck you.

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
Sega ain't a exception, yes they're fairly ok with people messing with Sonic, other IPs are more iffy however. I know that both a RE2 remake & Street of Rage fangames got took down for example. They've also been iffy with YouTuber coverage in the past, most recent example being the second half of Persona 5. Sega flip flops way too much to call them a exception. A true exception would be Valve, even someone like Microsoft's way better, I mean just look into how easy it is to grab old MS operating systems. Hell, I can even fucking link to a functional browser based Windows 95 emulator, they give zero fucks about shit that ain't conflicting with current projects.
No they don't, they've taken down projects without anything coming out of it, I know they once did a massive takedown of shit tons of flash games for example. Also you have some Mario 64 remakes that have been taking down, the one I'm thinking of being from 2015, highly doubt it was due to any going on at the time. AM2R's a exception, and even then I think they would've taken it down with or without a remake coming out. The reason they tend to take down shit is is mainly due to it blowing up in popularity. After all when something pops up and gets cover by shit tons of YouTubes and websites it's more likely to catch their eyes than some random twat making a Mario 64 that only a few people know about.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net

About the same time as AM2R Metroid 2 got remade for the 3DS.

Anyway, on topic -

I like AM2R a lot better than the original. I've been playing it on my Vita, and I don't know which version it is.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
About the same time as AM2R Metroid 2 got remade for the 3DS.

Anyway, on topic -

I like AM2R a lot better than the original. I've been playing it on my Vita, and I don't know which version it is.
AM2R is the 2nd best 2D Metroid. I'd rank them like this:

Metroid: Zero Mission
AM2R
Fusion
Super Metroid

The rest.

The NES Metroid did NOT age well. Fight me.

Reactions: TaimuRadiu

Baphomet_Chan

kiwifarms.net
Sega ain't a exception, yes they're fairly ok with people messing with Sonic, other IPs are more iffy however. I know that both a RE2 remake & Street of Rage fangames got took down for example. They've also been iffy with YouTuber coverage in the past, most recent example being the second half of Persona 5. Sega flip flops way too much to call them a exception. A true exception would be Valve, even someone like Microsoft's way better, I mean just look into how easy it is to grab old MS operating systems. Hell, I can even fucking link to a functional browser based Windows 95 emulator, they give zero fucks about shit that ain't conflicting with current projects.

No they don't, they've taken down projects without anything coming out of it, I know they once did a massive takedown of shit tons of flash games for example. Also you have some Mario 64 remakes that have been taking down, the one I'm thinking of being from 2015, highly doubt it was due to any going on at the time. AM2R's a exception, and even then I think they would've taken it down with or without a remake coming out. The reason they tend to take down shit is is mainly due to it blowing up in popularity. After all when something pops up and gets cover by shit tons of YouTubes and websites it's more likely to catch their eyes than some random twat making a Mario 64 that only a few people know about.
Actually that Full Screen Mario game for browsers with level design capabilities got taken down (but has since been mirrored) and Super Mario Maker was announced shortly after.

Which I am sure Nintendo either stole the idea or someone already beat them to it. Actually, SMBX already beat them to it and it is still an obscurity due to how hard it is to use.

As for projects that are taken down due to just becoming too popular, that is why I think it is also an attempt to save face too. It would be quite shameful to be outdone by a group of fans would it not?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Back me up!

kiwifarms.net
AM2R is the 2nd best 2D Metroid. I'd rank them like this:

Metroid: Zero Mission
AM2R
Fusion
Super Metroid

The rest.

The NES Metroid did NOT age well. Fight me.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Metroid: Zero Mission holds your hand wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much. Fusion had a better balance between "Go here, and look around" compare to Zero Missions "Here is you a waypoint for every single step".

Metroid mOTHER really helps modernize the original game but is a (ground-breaking) product of its time that a player has to consider. Its also 33 years old so give it some slack.

Now I wonder if Mario Multiverse is ever going to come out of closed beta (all sides point towards......no).

• Disagree
Reactions: BrunoMattei