AMD: GPU Sales to Crypto Miners Was 'Negligible' in Q3 -

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gaymers can stop whining now, thanks.

https://www.coindesk.com/amd-gpu-sales-to-crypto-miners-was-negligible-in-q3/ (https://archive.fo/Au2Uw)
Nikhilesh De
Oct 24, 2018 at 21:05 UTC
AMD's sales of graphics cards to cryptocurrency miners have all but dried up.

The chip manufacturer generated "negligible" revenue from blockchain-related GPU sales in the third quarter, accounting for only a "high single digit percentage" of the company's top line, AMD said Wednesday. This followed a drop in this type of revenue in the previous quarter.

Overall, AMD'S computing and graphics revenue slid 14 percent from the second quarter, though revenue from this business line was up 12 percent compared to a year earlier.

In its last quarterly report in July, AMD stated that about 6 percent of its second-quarter revenue came from selling to crypto miners – down from 10 percent in the first quarter.

At the time, AMD said that it expected GPU sales to miners to continue to decline, a prediction that was borne out by Wednesday's report.

On a July 25 conference call, CEO Lisa Su said the company was "expecting very little from blockchain," and it had lowered its forecast for revenue from the industry.

The company has been tempering market expectations for revenue from GPUs since at least March, however. In its annual 10-K filing, AMD warned that the instability in the cryptocurrency market could hurt its revenue from sales in the sector.

Agent Toucan

Holy Sigmar, bless this ravaged body!
kiwifarms.net
Here's hoping that and RAM prices are down by next year.
Unlikely.
RAM prices have skyrocketed because there's way too much demand from the smartphone manufacturers and one of the biggest facilities burned down in an accident. RAM manufactories are actually pretty complex factories, they are a huge investment and staff needs to be trained and specialized. Right now there are plans to open three or four more manufactories in Taiwan or some shit but it's taking longer than expected.

• Optimistic
Reactions: neural

neural

MovieBahb ォ運ム
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unlikely.
RAM prices have skyrocketed because there's way too much demand from the smartphone manufacturers and one of the biggest facilities burned down in an accident. RAM manufactories are actually pretty complex factories, they are a huge investment and staff needs to be trained and specialized. Right now there are plans to open three or four more manufactories in Taiwan or some shit but it's taking longer than expected.
Pretty sure the RAM manufacturers were engaged in price fixing, no?

Shick

Body by Nabisco
kiwifarms.net
This is good news, but I still can't help but be a little assmad because I was an idiot who bought at the first sign of the dip back in May. I could have saved myself a hundred bucks, or maybe stepped up a tier, if I'd waited until now.

Pretty sure the RAM manufacturers were engaged in price fixing, no?
I know the Chinese authorities were looking into it but I can't remember if anything came out of that.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino