AMD ryzen 5000 launch - AMD takes the final remaining crowns in the latest chapter of their never ending gut punches to Intel.

AMD has now launched their latest Zen 3 processors, deciding to skip 4000 for some reason and go straight to the 5000 naming scheme. The latest release includes several notable changes in architecture design. The CCX design has been eliminated, meaning the cores now come on a single 8 core CCD with no infinity fabric, resulting in dramatically reduced inter core latency. Infinity fabric has been tweaked for better performance, the L3 cache is slightly smaller at 32/64MB but now a single core can address 32MB instead of 16MB, increasing cache throughput. The cache is also lower latency and overall better tuned then previous releases. It is also capable of clocking 3-400 MHz higher, even capable of pushing a single core to 5050 mhz, breaking the elusive 5 GHz barrier.

All this adds up to one thing: ryzen 5000 offers a ~20% improvement in performance compared to ryzen 3000, and has now torn the two remaining crowns: photoshop and gaming performance, off of intel's head. Intel now leads primarily in red dead redemption 2, and nothing else.

It also appears that the ryzen memory controller has been enhanced enough that you will see a noticeable performance increase from having multiple memory ranks, something that has been margin of error with previous CPUs from all other companies. AMD meanwhile now sees upwards of 10% more performance with multiple ranks to play with.

Overall a very promising launch. Intel at the earliest will have a competitor 6 months from now in q1 2021, maybe, if rocket lake actually delivers, and that will still be held back by 14nm and lower core counts. Likely intel's best chance at a proper response is 2022.

Last edited:

Basil II

A BOMB.
Are you kidding me Intel is still at fucking 14nm, meanwhile TSMC says their 3nm process is ahead of schedule in development, are we gonna see 5x smaller transistors on AMD CPUs vs. Intel soon?

Racist Trash

It never changes.
AMD products are really neat and have great specs. And then I buy one of their things and it's nothing but a headache.

This does look nice though.

AMD's CPU architecture seems to finally getting the attention of software developers due to their increased market share so most of those issues should be sorted. Their GPUs while they don't have the driver issues of old they don't support them anywhere near as well as Nvidia does with their universal drivers and AMD cut off support a lot sooner because of that I assume because it takes more effort to maintain.

Deadwaste

my password is ballsdeepnpussy69 honest
im waiting for amd to release the 5th gen ryzen 3 and athlon cause im interested in the low end of things.

darkwingosonichugorl

Let me tell you the potential of my balls.
The negative is that AMD are jacking up the prices since they're dominating Intel, at least in the enthusiast consumer market. $300 for the 5600x is slightly disappointing. I'll be skipping these and waiting for AM5 CPUs, probably.

AMD products are really neat and have great specs. And then I buy one of their things and it's nothing but a headache.

This does look nice though.
I've had totally random issues with several AMD desktops over the years, instability that intel platforms never had.

OTOH my AMD laptop was a stone beast for many years.
AMD's CPU architecture seems to finally getting the attention of software developers due to their increased market share so most of those issues should be sorted. Their GPUs while they don't have the driver issues of old they don't support them anywhere near as well as Nvidia does with their universal drivers and AMD cut off support a lot sooner because of that I assume because it takes more effort to maintain.
My X470 crosshair VII has been an utter disaster in terms of stability, no matter which chip I put in it. I also recently put together a B550 board with a MSI mortar and a 3700x, system was rock solid. The 500 series boards may be much better then previous generations, and I think with 90%+ AIB sales going to AMD the OEMs are being forced to put in more effort.
The negative is that AMD are jacking up the prices since they're dominating Intel, at least in the enthusiast consumer market. $300 for the 5600x is slightly disappointing. I'll be skipping these and waiting for AM5 CPUs, probably.
While their prices are increasing, what did anyone expect? AMD has been operating on a shoe string budget relative to their markets for almost 15 years now, and at the end of the day they are a for profit enterprise. Even then they are increasing prices by 10% while delivering 20% better performance, so its still a better price/$ then previous gen chips.

I think a lot of people were also sued to the sale prices on zen 2. The 3600 is a great chip at $159, but that is FAR from it's launch price of $199 and it's effective market price of around $220 for months after launch. The 5600 at $300 performs better then any 3000 series in games, and with properly tuned memory throw another 10% on that. That's like moving from a 1000 to a 3000 series. Especially considering the AMD platform has PCIe 4.0 and how long CPUs last in modern applications (and consoles using Zen cores) the lifespan of ryzen 5000 will likely be very long, perhaps Core 2 level.

Non x skus or sales prices will probably arrive in 6 months anyways with lower prices. AMD MSRPs are not as stable as intels. If rocket lake delivers then ryzen 5000 will get cheap again, but I doubt intel will pull it off first try.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
I've had totally random issues with several AMD desktops over the years, instability that intel platforms never had.

OTOH my AMD laptop was a stone beast for many years.

My X470 crosshair VII has been an utter disaster in terms of stability, no matter which chip I put in it. I also recently put together a B550 board with a MSI mortar and a 3700x, system was rock solid. The 500 series boards may be much better then previous generations, and I think with 90%+ AIB sales going to AMD the OEMs are being forced to put in more effort.

While their prices are increasing, what did anyone expect? AMD has been operating on a shoe string budget relative to their markets for almost 15 years now, and at the end of the day they are a for profit enterprise. Even then they are increasing prices by 10% while delivering 20% better performance, so its still a better price/$ then previous gen chips.

I think a lot of people were also sued to the sale prices on zen 2. The 3600 is a great chip at $159, but that is FAR from it's launch price of $199 and it's effective market price of around $220 for months after launch. The 5600 at $300 performs better then any 3000 series in games, and with properly tuned memory throw another 10% on that. That's like moving from a 1000 to a 3000 series. Especially considering the AMD platform has PCIe 4.0 and how long CPUs last in modern applications (and consoles using Zen cores) the lifespan of ryzen 5000 will likely be very long, perhaps Core 2 level.

Non x skus or sales prices will probably arrive in 6 months anyways with lower prices. AMD MSRPs are not as stable as intels. If rocket lake delivers then ryzen 5000 will get cheap again, but I doubt intel will pull it off first try.

I read a rumor/leak that the non-X 5600 would be $229. If that's the case then AMD is really leaning into the pockets of gamers and the X in 5600X obiously stands for Xtreme Retards, a very lucrative market segment traditionally dominated by Intel.