An Autistic Analysis on Dungeons and Dragons 3.x Classes -

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Late 3.5 All-Splats Martials are defensible in combat and in many cases can be better at early and middle levels especially any time the DM makes you do more then two encounters a day. Being anything other then a full caster is horrible deficiency late game because the incredibly high power level of 7/8/9th level spells and basically anytime out of combat because WotC in their infinite wisdom gave full-casters the ability to do everything better then non-casters without the need to spend skill points or feats.
Since you don't seem to get this, let me demonstrate:

A caster usually starts with a 1d6 blast spell or something akin to that. The Martial does about twice tor three times that if they go with twohanded weapons. Level 2 happens, and the caster now can about match the martial (look up Kelgor's Fireball, it is that disgusting). Level 3 kicks off, and maybe the best martial (tome of battle classes) begins to catch up with maneuvers in terms of damage racing, but then the race begins to lose this by about level 5 or so when 5d6 and nasty save or sucks begin appearing... and this is pure blast casting. When you include a caster's toolkit, like impeding stones or Evard's Black Tentacles, then martials are outclassed by about level 5-7 or so.

That's still technically early-mid game man, and this is why this idea you're trying hard to push is wrong.
I cast grease, roll balance check

oh, you failed, have fun being coup de gras by a nerd with a dagger or getting shot to death while you can't really run
Pretty much, since almost no one bothers to put rank in balance and most enemies don't have it either.
It's good for picking up a few feats real quick and then running off to do better things. I've seen a couple of funny builds out there that take 5 levels of Fighter because they are so feat intensive, but I've never seen it as more than a 2 level class.

Which is still better than Samurai but I'm sure @Adamska will get there in three years.
Complete Warrior is about... I dunno four or five books down the line?

It'll be in this year though, I guarantee.
Pretty much required when I cover Player's Handbook 2. It'll be its own little subsection after I go over the new classes.

Next book will be probably around Monday or Tuesday since work and my own campaign takes precedence.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Work week was a bit high and I'm finally getting out of this case of Sinusitis, so let's get going with:

Book of Exalted Deeds

Yep, we're covering the book of absolute good next. Like Vile Darkness, this thing was made for 3.0 weirdly enough, but it does give access to some very good domains and due to it being more for players a whole host of at worst perfectly playable classes. Let's go here we go:

Anointed Knight
annointedKnight.jpg

The counterpart to the dumpster fire that is the Warrior of Darkness, the Anointed Knight is a far better option.

It’s still anemic and mediocre due to just being almost like a fighter variant, but it's still a far better option. It’s mainly because unlike the WoD’s elixirs, the anointed weapon abilities are actually good for the most part, giving you as a player buffs that actually mean something. The Knight also takes home better Magic Oil effects, even if near half of them are trash. This is because unlike the Warrior of Darkness, your magic oil actually has good effects. It’s playable, but in the same way that a Marshal is, but only to yourself.

Rating: Decent

Apostle of Peace
Apostle.jpg

This is one of two classes that must be talked about with a party before you bring them in. The other is Frenzied Barbarian; the two are Yin and Yang in that respect since one limits the players while the other invites TPK by player's own stupidity.

The Apostle of Peace is bound by vows of nonviolence and poverty, which are notable obstacles in an average party of psychotic murderhobos. You have to be careful when faced with fights, given that disarmed or harmless monsters killed by your party count to the Apostle's vow, and you inhibit the will to fight in your party and can’t fight yourself. If you can get around it though; you get a good cleric build that also gets the neat ability to censure evil outsiders, which works like Turn Undead.

This is supposed to be the counter to the Ur-Priest, but shockingly the Book of Vile Darkness wins on this one, just due to the toolkit usage it has. This still means it's a damn good class once you have the right group to use it in.

Rating: Good

Beloved of Valarian
Beloved.jpg

This is very much a ranger PrC, since it very much is designed for archery and tracking. I would argue that this is also the far better counterpart to the Mortal Hunter I think, but that might just be because you actually have a realistic chance of actually playing one.

It does what a Ranger can, gets smite to add on to their abilities, and gets the very useful Ethereal Jaunt spell. On top of this, they can summon a ridiculous companion in the form of a Unicorn-Cleric. Lastly, their spell list is very good over all for a more martial build. Just don’t be a sex pervert since the class requires chastity.

Rating: Amazing

Celestial Mystic
celestial mystic.jpg

Since this has been a running theme for me, I'd say that this is the counterpart to Daemonologist by my reckoning, and holy shit does this one own the latter. But then, literally any other caster PrC is better than a Daemonologist, so this isn't a difficult thing to do.

For the paltry fee of never toking again, you get an amazing variety of spells only Celestial NPCs get, you can shrug off poison, disease, stone, death spells, and even mind effects due to a magic circle surrounding you. You even get your caster level to boot throughout the whole thing. Lastly, you get a circle of fast healing at the highest level. This class is genuinely amazing for those arcane types.

Champion of Gwynharwye
champion.jpg

What happens when you splice a Paladin and Barbarian? You get this great can-opener of divine justice. You can now cast paladin spells and can do it even while raging, which is pretty bullshit for a barb because raging usually stops all mental effects.

It has all of the good bonuses from both classes too with little bad other than following your bog-standard oaths... which I will remind people aren't that strict. It's over all a genuinely good class that only doesn’t meet amazing because of how naturally strong barbs already are by martial standards. If there was an opposite, I like to use Lifedrinker since it’s the only one that rages… and hoo boy is this one better.

Defender of Sealtiel
Defender_without_Essence.png

This prestige class is basically a better Dwarven Defender in every way, thus making a class that is already a complete trap and not worth the player's time even more worthless as a result. They get spells that aid in defending your party members for one thing, and they can stand their ground and fight with a bonus. On top of those bonuses, they even have a magical circle against Evil.

The problem is that being a Defender that draws in aggro is not the best option in DnD; mobility is key, and with this class moving weakens you for the rest of the fight. I’d best compare it to Disciple of Dispater or of Mephistopheles, and this one just doesn’t stack up.

Emissary of Barachiel
Diplomat.jpg

This class is a combination of a Cleric and a Bard, with most of the good features of both. It does miss the cleric spell load-out, but being able to just stack elation and haste with the Celestial Call is great and absolutely disgusting cheese.

Celestial Call for those wondering is like an Elation stacked with a Doom all at once already, and it stacks with the other buff options as well. This is just a good buffer, and for roleplay purposes also get some nice conversion abilities and deconversion abilities if alignment shifts have happened.

All in all a good swiss army knife that blows the closest Vile equivalent, Disciple of Baalzebul, out of the water.

Exalted Arcanist
Arcanist.jpg

This class is far shorter than most PrCs in the Book of Exalted deeds, but it makes up for it with two or three really powerful abilities.

The first is you get access to Exalted spells, which can lead to supremely powerful buffs. No seriously, look at how you can get all three planar ally spells at once by the time you're done with this five level class. You also get extra spells, as well as access to easy metamagic. It’s a short PvC, but a potent one just from the Exalted spells.

Fist of Raziel
Fist.jpg

Did you ever want to really make your smites hurt? This class is utterly perfect for you then. You get a smite every two levels, a notable number more than a paladin would, and those smites are brutal.

You get to treat your sword as holy automatically for one thing while smiting, and you alos use a damage die higher than normal. A nice touch includes the bolts from 3.0 holy storm coming in and can chain strike outsiders too, and you auto-ignore some DRs.

If you really like hammering on baddies, this is your class. Note you do give up a good deal of the Paladin’s other abilities, such as lay on hands and so on, so it's not recommended unless you are purely in the game to lay on the hurt.

Initiate of Pistis Sophia
Pisstis.jpg

This class is a bit of a disappointment after the glut of good ones I’ve covered so far. This is because it’s just a fancier monk over all, which should tell you why I think this class is a bit shit.

Besides the smite, it doesn’t have much to really woo you, even if you started out as a Monk. It’s neat fluff that you become a celestial, that is some nice flavor and a good template, but it doesn’t help the class too much. Honestly, if you want a good divine monk PrC, you’re going to go with Sacred Fist anyway; it’s just a better class than this one.

Rating: Playable

Lion of Talisid
Lion.jpg

So this one’s rating is more thanks to @Dunsparce knowing how druids work than my own competence (I can’t be arsed to play them, not a favorite class of mine).

In short; they get all the companion, wildshape, and magic levels of a normal druid, which most PrCs for the third best class of 3.5e don’t get, automatically making it one of the best druid PrCs. They also get to apply the Celestial template to their companion, which gives them a longer set of legs otherwise. Lastly they can both pounce and act as if under haste, which makes their wildshape beastly.

Prophet of Erathaol
Bland.jpg

This class is a weird one; it basically lets you continue to be a sorcerer or caster that multis into this prestige class, but you gain the ability to let yourself get possessed by a celestial for certain benefits. They range from competence bonuses on knowledge and exalted spells you wouldn’t otherwise get.

The problem is there isn’t much to the class besides this weird possession fluff. Plus, the bonus spells given to you are mediocre by my reckoning. It’s not bad, just bland. It’s like plain oatmeal when you’re sick in that respect. It’s not garbage only because you keep your caster level and it does the bare minimum.

Risen Martyr
Martyr.gif

So this class… this class is the Book of Vile Darkness’ Lifedrinker. It’s a class that is solely designed to be a cheap way to bring a character back without needing to rely on resurrection or reincarnation. It has a stupidly high price though, since if you choose to do this, you are locked on this road once you hit level one in this class.

You’re a complete and utter moron if you do that by the way. Sure, you get CHA bonuses as an opener, which might be good if your guy in life was a dynamic Cleric or something like that, but good luck on that given you’re an idiot for making this stupid decision. The bonuses you get from this class are all a lie; once you manage to get to level ten, your character is done, even if the adventure isn’t over.

You ascend to the heavens ala Jesus, and you’re gone forever; kiss that character goodbye you utter fucking idiot. Were it not for this shitty restriction, this class would actually be considered good, which is far more than can be said on the fucking Lifedrinker. Perfect for a last round of an adventure, but not much else IMO.

Rating: Garbage

Sentinel of Bharrai
Bharrai.jpg

If you like bears and druids, you’ll love this class. These guys specialize in bears, lightning, and a few other odds and ends that make them a good PrC to slide into.

For one thing, you can once a day bust out a 7th level spell when you hit around level 9 or 10. For another, they slowly gain resistance 10 on the four natural elemental damages, making them tankier against blast casters than your average squishy mage.

They can also serve as a decent back up to rogues due to their natural +10 to hide in the wilds. Lastly they can crack open a horde of dire bears and become one themselves by the end of it, giving you a powerful set of minions at a point where they are still viable. Bear and lighting crazy, but effective.

Skylord
Skylord.jpg

This class is okay, but is ironically constrained by what it does. It cannot really be played in a dungeon crawling game, because it requires the player to have a flying mount. However, if you ignore this, you get an interesting side boost to an Elven Paladin that focuses on buffing his mount.

The Skylord’s mount gains some great STR and natural armor boosts, as well as improved natural weapons, which you will not see in many mounts' cases. The most beautiful part is they essentially gain a free flyer that matches the growth of a full Paladin’s mount in half the time. All in all a decent pick if you rely on your mount a lot already. The big limitation is what setting you're playing in.

Slayer of Domiel
Slayer.jpg

The Slayer of Domiel is a weird class. The best way I think I can describe it is if you decided you had enough of this light armor shit as a rogue, and then spliced your rogue with assassin and paladin on top of it.

The Slayers gain a variety of useful self buff and utility spells to further indulge in the slaughter. They also can wear any armor, meaning now you can happily go full plate as a rogue if you ever felt like it with only the dex and noise penalty being a major element. They even get the touch of death ™ in that you make a touch melee attack you do nd6 damage on a target.

The only reason it’s kind of low is that it’s a kind of back end PrC, in that you need to be a bit further along in levels before you can go full murder knight. Plus, well, you give up some of the more useful elements of rogue to commit ultramurder publically.

Stalker of Kharash
Stalker.jpg

“I can smell the evil before the bad guys showed up”. No, I am not fucking with you, that is the very first thing that stuck out to me for the Stalker of Kharash.

They literally can smell the evil off of you, which I just interpret to mean like the dumpster of a McDonald's. Besides this, the class does get a nice Favored Enemy – evil that stacks on their other favored enemies. Besides that? Eh, it’s basically just a mostly standard Ranger. I just consider this class okay and maybe just something you take a dip in to get the favored enemy bonus for added cheese.

Swanmay
Swanmay.gif

So at first you may think I’m being stupid by putting this class in Good. You’re probably thinking: “Hey, this is stupid. I turn into a swan and look ridiculous, why lose my good wildshape for this”. That is where you are wrong.

For like a swan, the Swanmay is pure violence trapped in a doofy form. The first hint is that you get DR 5 to anything but Cold Iron in swan form. Second, you get full BaB and a favored enemy, which is beauty for a Druid and pretty damn nice for a ranger. Thirdly, you get spell-like abilities, good for a Ranger

You also gain a ridiculous level of resistances, including going full fey by the 10th level. Its only drawback is you lose a spell level going in, but it provides good bonuses regardless.

Sword of Righteousness
SwordofRight.JPG

It’s three levels of fighter, but with extra exalted feats… I can’t really say much more than that other than it being garbage like the fighter. It at best is useful if you didn’t plan ahead of time using the Book of Exalted Deeds. That’s it.

Troubadour of Stars
Robe_of_stars_5e.png

So at first I thought this class was going to only be decent, because it did hamper bard and sorcerer spell slots, which do become rarer as they level and are kind of needed. Then I read their most broken ability: they gain celestial and eladrin spells, and every sanctified spell in their list. That they can then cast instantly.

They also get some very good bard spells like holy cacophony, which utterly wrecks caster villains, which gets even harder to recover from if you take Word of Creation as a feat. You sacrifice a lot to do this spell-wise, but you get so much in return it’s not even funny.

Vassal of Bahamut
ORAS_Poké_Maniac.png

This class is kind of amazing, but does have a pretty hefty entrance fee: you have to kill a red dragon. Barring that, the class is cool and you get two really nice gifts.

The first is having an enchantable chain shirt that is treated as plate mail. The other really neat bonus is the ridiculous amount of money Bahamut lends you so long as you use it for good. However, besides this, the class is only about as good as a Paladin barring the good armor and some ridiculous sense bonuses. It's pretty anemic as far as PrCs go.

Wonder Worker
WonderWorker.jpg

This class is the caster equivalent of the Sword of Righteousness. However, unlike said disappointment, this one has a function: it is a good way to recover divine spells for a partial caster. If you’re a paladin or a Duskblade? This class has value for you. If you’re not? Well, it gets you feats you can use to make it to a better PrC. It’s not really useful besides this though.

Tiers
Amazing Classes: Beloved of Valarian, Celestial Mystic, Fist of Raziel, Lion of Talisid, Troubadour of Stars
Good Classes: Apostle of Peace, Champion of Gwyharwye, Emissary of Barachiel, Exalted Arcanist, Sentinel of Bharrai, Swanmay
Decent Classes: Defender of Sealtiel, Skylord, Slayer of Domiel, Vassal of Bahamut
Playable Classes: Anointed Knight, Initiate of Pistis Sophia, Prophet of Erathaol, Stalker of Kharash, Wonder Worker
Garbage Classes: Risen Martyr, Sword of Righteousness
Truenamer Class: N/A
NPC Class (Fuck you Book): N/A

Unlike the Book of Vile Darkness, most of the classes here are very well designed and aged well throughout 3.5 as a whole. The worst items, the Sword of Righteousness and Risen Martyr aren't even technically garbage given they can still be perfectly playable. It's just due to fluff or excitement reasons they fail. Pretty much you will almost never be disappointed with any of the PrCs, so long as you remember how the vows work.

So next up is the Book of Minis. It'll be a bit because I'm debating between finishing up Complete Divine, Dungeon Master's Guide, or Player's Handbook II (But with the errata being expanded on by class for things like Swashbuckler that I've not covered yet).

Last edited:

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For those curious; I've finished Complete Divine and have begun to read the Complete Arcane, so expect me to sperg about the Book of Miniatures sometime within the next couple of days. Most likely Saturday due to how busy tomorrow will be for me.

Warning: The Complete books are pretty class heavy, so expect me to split them in half given that's how I worked on them.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So after setting up some dungeons for my hapless party to finally stumble into and get some loot and suppressing my desire to run a Delta Green game in the vein of Men In Black, I am now ready to get into one of the first ever expansions of 3.5 proper. Today we're covering:

The Book of Miniatures

This one was made to support minis gaming, especially the new figures that Wizards was pumping out for it. All of the classes in this game are therefore a bit more geared towards mass combat. Think of it almost like a prototype of 4e and you wouldn't be too wrong. Since this is the first book that I've covered that includes both Prestige Classes and Base Classes, I'll clarify PrCs with their titles being italicized as well as bolded. If it looks like THIS, then it's a Base Class. If it looks like THIS, then it's PrC. Got it? Yes? Then with that in mind, let's storm the breach once more friends:

Favored Soul

Favored.jpg

Ever wanted to play a Sorcerer but one that could cast divine magic instead? Well the Favored Soul is the class for you. It suffers from exactly the same drawbacks that Sorcerers do compared to Wizard, but they are pale imitations of Clerics instead of the pointy hates.

I will note though that the power gap between a Favored Soul and a Cleric is notably greater than a Sorcerer and Wizard. Why you may ask? Well for one thing, you actually do not get any domain spells like you would if you were a Cleric, since your powers do not come from a deity. This actually cuts a decent portion of the divine spells away from you. The other issue is you actually do not get any real conveniences by playing a Favored Soul over a Cleric like you might as a Sorcerer vs a Wizard. Hell, you even miss out on Turning Undead, meaning you lose metamagic divine feats too since many of them rely on Turning.

Ultimately, the class is still good. You still have many of the items that make their inspiration the Cleric so good. It’s a pale imitation, but it’s picking an Amazing class to imitate, which really helps it as a class.

Healer
Healer.jpg

The Healer on the other hand is essentially the natural extension of the idea of a Heal-Bot cleric. They have the same spell slots as a Cleric, but get rid of most of the support spells that Clerics have. They pretty much have sacrificed every item available to them to help others via healing them.

This may seem boring and almost an NPC tier class to play, but looks are deceiving. The Healer can once a day cleanse a variety of maluses, including casting true resurrection, for free and instantly. You do not have to worry about factors like time, items to use, and the EXP needed to cast such powerful spells like that. They also thanks to addendum books get access to a lot of Sanctified Spells, which comprise of a mix of healing, buff, and even damage spells.

The Healer is interesting in that its original incarnation is at best playable, but thanks to support books that gave them Sanctified spells they have gained serious utility and can even be considered fun to play. It takes Spell Compendium and the Book of Exalted Deeds to make them work, and they are still positively pidgeonholed into healing, but with the right books they shine.

Marshal
Marshal.png

To quote the funeral speech for a dead Marshal I once gamed with “He was ever-present”. Marshals are essentially Fighters that give passive bonuses to the other party members just by being there. Sounds good for a party, right? Well, yeah… but it completely sucks for the player.

It sucks for the player because the Marshal suffers from the same exact problems as a Fighter does. Hell, they actually suck more because these poor bastards don’t even get the extra feats that let them specialize in a weapon to maybe one day master the weapon. Hell, they help the party more by just sitting there than doing anything.

Did I forget to mention they don’t even get the dignity of having a full BaB and thus making the poor dumb bastard even more useless outside of standing there? No? Well they don’t get that; they have an average BaB, so your job is pretty much just to stand there and cry yourself to death as the other party members profit off of your misery.

This class sucks your soul away by playing them; I’ve never run into a player that willingly plays this class through a campaign, since usually they either quit from boredom or just kill them off due to being dead inside themselves from the experience. This class should go die alone and unloved in a muddy ditch in the aftermath of a battle; no one will miss them.

Rating: NPC (Would be Garbage)

Warmage
Warmage.jpg

The best way to describe a Warmage is that this is the class for the player who just wants to fling damage at his or her enemies. These guys almost completely sacrifice the toolkit and support spells wizards have in favor of pure blast casting. They also do have a similar pool of magic slots as Sorcerers and Favored Souls.

It should also be noted that Warmages are spontaneous casters like the Sorcerer, so you don’t need to micro book management and can just cast. The difference that makes them in a way better than Sorcerers is that the Warmage knows every spell on their list and can pick and choose which ones to use.

The Warmage also can cast in armor with no worries about Arcane failure. This is thanks to its Armored Mage ability, which makes them a particularly tough caster by caster standards and able to wear up to medium armor without much worry. Lastly they can spontaneously add spells and gain metamagic feats for free to maximize their casting.

Warmages are essentially the go-to for blast casting; being more flexible than the often-used Sorcerer when it comes to that field due to knowing every spell on their list. It limits them to flinging damage, but like the Barbarian the Warmage does it so amazingly that a player often can’t complain.

Bonded Summoner
summoner1.png

The first PrC we'll be looking at in this book will be the Bonded Summoner. Now, the Bonded Summoner is essentially what happens when a player wants to have their familiar become a powerful minion for them to control. The Bonded Summoner focuses on one of the four elemental groups and gains an elemental based on said pick to replace their familiar.

The elemental can do all that the familiar did, but is a shit ton beefier on the side; it also slowly grows in power and eventually becomes an Elder Elemental near the end of this class tree. This and gaining an elemental resistance based on what was picked sounds good, right?

It could have been, but the Bonded Summoner sacrifices five caster levels in order for this to happen, forever locking you out of 9th and 8th level spells as a Wizard or Sorcerer. I should state upfront that giving up those and those extra spell slots are a very poor idea, since you get more mileage out of them than any resistances. Plus, you can do what these idiots do just by summoning an elemental instead. The class functions, but only because an elemental companion is pretty strong. Your basic arcane caster is just plain better though.

Dragon Samurai
Dragon Samurai.jpg

Dragon Samurai often come off as the lolcow PrC to me. Why? Because lorewise they are martials who go apeshit over dragons for one thing, which screams as furry. The other reason being that they are utter weeb material due to their name and their worship of Bushido. Sadly, much like the lolcow, this class is pretty bad.

The Scalie Sammy only get an average BaB for one thing, which automatically makes them a bit distasteful for most martials since you need that to-hit to be good; it is pretty much the only thing you have for utility in a party. Secondly, they mostly get very situational bonuses when communicating with dragons of their selected color, and dealing with dragons usually are not a smart move.

The only reason I don’t put this PrC into garbage is because they get an okay elemental weapon ability that is like a free magical effect and they gain resistance to their chosen element. Their breath weapon would count if it worked like a dragon’s breath weapon, but it’s a once a day ability. Still, this isn’t the worst class for something already not very good like monk. Its big problem is just there’s so much better than them, even for the monk.

Havoc Mage
KILLME.jpg

Oh dear God I found the incestual twin of the fucking Warrior of Darkness… This PrC class cannot even be described as a trap of any sort due to how absolutely shit they are. But I’m getting ahead of myself, let’s start off with the concept… stupid as it is.

So a Havoc Mage is essentially a Wizard or Sorcerer who specializes in hitting things with a weapon while casting in the same round; essentially deciding that they want to be a gish build in the process. This is shown in that they have a d8 hit die per level and they go from poor to average BaB. They also gain battle casting which means they can hit and cast as a full round action. There are two big reasons why this is terrible though.

The first big issue is that they actually lose a couple of caster levels when becoming a Havoc Mage. This already makes the class somewhat bad already, since it takes away your 9th level spells by doing this. The second reason is that you still have the arcane failure chance, use only the weapons and armor your prior class used, and are a fucking squishy caster to boot to become this class.

There is literally no reason you should ever take this class as a caster at all. If you want to do Gishwork, just play as a fucking Duskblade; it’s what they do.

Skullclan Hunter
Hunter.jpg

So this class is kind of stupid by my reckoning. The fluff for it is that you are a rogue who when faced with the undead decide to train hard and specialize in killing them. To do so, you take cleric levels and master religion to the point you know your foe.

The class allows you to track, sneak attack, protects you from, and hurt with full damage all undead by the end of this track. You even slowly just shrug off all the negative effects undead can throw at you. Bit of a problem though; this class is pointless given that you can just become a Cleric full time instead. Why fight a horde of skeletons when you can just command them back into their graves or force them to flee in terror?

The big reason I don’t like this PrC is that you have to be the superior undead killer before downgrading into this. Let’s also not forget that the fact they only specialize in murdering the dead limits them if the campaign doesn’t have a lot of undead too.

Tactical Soldier
Tacticool.png

Oh dear lord this is even blander than the Fighter and Marshal. I… do I really need to go over again why this makes them suck?

Fuck it, let’s at least tell you guys what they do. The Tactical Soldier basically is a fighter who gets better feats than the normal Handbook. They get a decent flanking ability that Swordsages automatically can do, can take hits meant for others, and a few other mildly neat tricks. But the problem is they’re so bland and unimpressive for a PrC I almost forgot they existed.

I will leave you with this question: until this point, did you even know this NPC tier PrC even existed?

Rating: NPC (Would be Garbage)

War Hulk
Warhulk.jpg

This is a strange little PrC and a very fun build involves splicing this with the Hulking Hurler. This class also makes quite a few DMs panic attack because of how they work, even though they still aren’t as broken as casters. Unlike pretty much every other class ever, the War Hulk does not gain any BaB as it progresses in levels. Instead, they gain +2 STR every level. You also sacrifice any INT, CHA and WIS skills except intimidate upon reaching first level of War Hulk.

In exchange? You get the rare martial with pretty damn good AOE attacks. They can by the end of the class hit every square around them in the same turn for big damage. They also get the neat ability to throw pretty hard-hitting ranged weapons in the form of rocks as well. You are pigeonholed into being a Large sized dumb brute, but you do what you do well.

I consider this a very fun PrC for Barbarians to aspire to; just ensure you get enlarged and have that permanent and you’re good to go.

Warchief
Gurrash.png

This PrC is hampered mainly by the requirements needed to become a Warchief. You specifically have to lead a tribe of primitive savages, and this tribe must be of their character's race as well sadly. This annoyingly makes this NPC tier from the start, since I consider this PrC a potentially great variant for a martial to take if you like minionmancy.

This is because you passively gain CHA bonuses to make an even bigger horde of goons, which if you've ever seen a good necromancer build can show you how powerful quantity can be. I should also mention you can inspire said goons into a frenzy, giving them good bonuses to STR in exchange for plink damage based on their HD. Lastly, you gain access to nifty social skills and the ability to have allies take hits for you as well.

This PrC in my opinion is perfect material for homebrew; it is a good martial PrC bound by stupid limitations that render them unplayable otherwise.

Rating: NPC (Would be Decent)

Tiers
Amazing Classes: N/A
Good Classes: Warmage, War Hulk, Favored Soul,
Decent Classes: Healer
Playable Classes: Bonded Summoner, Dragon Samurai
Garbage Classes: Skullclan Hunter, Havoc Mage
NPC Class (Fuck you Book): Marshal (formerly garbage), Warchief (formerly decent), Tactical Soldier (formerly garbage)

As you can see; the classes in the minis book are either pretty good or god-awful. This was written really early on in 3.5's lifespan, so they did not want to give martials particularly interesting abilities due to fears they'd somehow outshine casters, and this was when they were trying to find new weird ways for casters to be interesting. Because of this, a lot of unplayable shit got introduced, but we did get Warmage, Warhulk, and Healer. Mixed bag is the best term for the book to be honest.

Anyways, we're going to go through the Complete Divine next! Expect more shit, the first of my expansions/errata notes, but also some really fucking disgusting cheese.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So like Dungeons and Dragons, I do have to add a little bit of errata due to me borking up; a PrC that takes two caster levels does not lock you out of 9th level spells like I've said. It does however limit you to maybe at best one or two doses of it and cut down spell slots for your higher level spells. It's something I'd still seriously consider before picking out something and I do honestly believe that a Havoc Mage is still awful. Anyways after a very good night's rest, let's move on to the next book...

Complete Divine (Part One)

The complete series as a whole were released somewhat earlier than most supplments, and I do believe that Complete Warrior is the first particular book in the series and one of the first addendums to 3.5 due to how hideously awful many of the classes in there are due to early balance issues. These books add a fuckton of content, ranging from new spells from already created classes to feats, to a shitton of brand new classes, though only two of them count as Base Classes. In fact, there are so many classes that I had to split this book (and all the other Completes too) in two just so I don't drown under the content. In this half, I'll cover the Base Classes and the first half of the Prestige Classes made up by this book. And remember, bolded and italicized classes means PrC, just bolded means Base. Let's now join the Black Mass people:

Shugenja
Shugenja.jpg

Shugenjas are a strange class that gets its roots from the oriental adventure modules of DnDs past. It is basically Wizards of the Coast’s attempts to make Daoist or Shinto priests without really grokking the actual ideas of eastern philosophy. They are some snooty little shits to boot lorewise.

So anyways, the Shugenja is pretty much just a weeaboo version of the Favored Soul. Hell, I’d argue that they’re even worse than the Favored Soul. For one thing, they have a poor BaB rather than the Soul’s Average. This is fine for the lore, but since both of them are essentially Divine Sorcerers this does make the Favored Soul look better.

The other big reason I consider Shugenja worse though is you have the same slots as a Favored Soul (so similar to Sorcerer), but have to take half of the spells with an element in mind. For example, an Earth Shugenja has to have half his spells be affiliated with Earth. You also cannot pick “opposing element” spells, meaning your list is even TINIER.

The only reason I can see playing this class is that you get some non-divine spells to add to your list or you're playing some Oriental Adventures module. Otherwise, just pick Favored Soul or Cleric.

Spirit Shaman
SpiritShaman.jpg

Ever wanted to play a druid that is not an utter hippie? Well, this is one way to do it, I guess. So, the Spirit Shaman is best described as the bastard spawn of a Sorcerer and a Druid; they do what the Druids do, but with the spell level growth and spontaneity of a Sorcerer. It makes the class weird and hard to really rate.

They lose the wild-shaping and cohort abilities, but are one of the few classes that from the beginning can really fuck with incorporeal creatures, elementals, and fey right out the gate. They essentially can force anything rated as “spirits” to save or take nd6 damage based on level, and gain a weird quasi familiar to help them throughout the quests. The neatest element is that they can go incorporeal for short jaunts, which can be very useful in navigating dungeons or ditching jails.

It’s a weird class, but one I’d suggest for those who don’t like base Druid for having too much to worry about.

Black Flame Zealot
blackflame.gif

This is a class that was very clearly designed to placate people who wanted to play as an Assassin officially, but realized they couldn’t due to the Evil requirement. The Black Flame Zealot is a divine agent of a nongood fire god, and so specialize in sneak attacks, poisonings, and burning with dark fire.

There are a lot of problems with the Zealot though. The biggest is that it already kind of requires you to be playing a Cleric/Rogue mix for this to work, when both classes tend to be stronger as a whole when left alone. You need to have at least a 3 level dip in Cleric at minimum, and at least a level in Rogue to get backstabs. Then you need your knowledge of religion and move silently to be at 8 ranks.

These aren’t too bad, but it’s the feats you need to burn that weaken the class; you need to specialize in Kukris and also have Iron will, which does eat up things that would be more useful for Rogues (improved poisoning or sneak attack or trapfinding feats) or Clerics (divine metamagic) instead. In exchange, you get things you’d get if you just played a rogue straight up. Hell, the Zealots actually have a worse Death Attack than the Assassin; at least the latter paralyzes if it fails.

Cool name, but the fairly high bar of entry makes the class kind of garbage.

Blighter
Blighter.jpg

Oh wow a Captain Planet Villain class? Okay, let’s go through this completely terrible idea. The Blighter only exists because like Paladins, Druids can fall. This is their Blackguard equivalent.

Now, hypothetically, the Blighter is an amazing PrC. This is because unlike any other prestige class, they get access to every level of spells. On top of this, their actual spell list is pretty good too; so it’s not like they’re mechanically terrible. But the reason I consider this idea stupid is due to their fluff.

You need to lifedrain the land to even cast magic. Now this is pretty metal, but it only works if you have sufficient plant life for it to apply. Now, the big problem is that many campaigns will not take place in lively lands, or will move to planes at some point or another. This kind of limits the Blighter by a lot, even moreso than the Skylord.

It’s an evil Druid variant, but one that very heavily relies on the environment to work, so expect dry spells for your casting times.

Church Inquisitor
ChurchInquisitor.png

Ever wanted to play a game of Dark Heresy using the d20 system? This PrC was designed for that in mind, at least fluff wise. These guys are sent in to make sure that community churches are doing their jobs and not being corrupt or evil morons. They also dabble in hunting demons on the side. But how well would they actually do their job?

They’re pretty good, especially for campaigns that rely on intrigue. They gain a free domain that has some decent spells, can shrug off enchantments and compulsions, and even utterly render illusionists useless. The nicest element for those going in is you actually keep full caster levels, which makes this a decent option for Clerics, though not so much for paladins due to not gaining your lay-on-hands or mount levels.

It's all in all a great roleplaying prestige class for games where you expect Church corruption or Intrigue to be a decent part of the campaign. It does nothing for a Cleric besides losing them Turn attempts too, so it’s not like it hurts them that much to take.

Consecrated Harrier
Consecrated.gif

Think of this as a religiously ordained bounty hunter, and you have the general gist of this class. The book for some reason states that a Paladin or a Cleric would become one of these guys due to their reliance on CHA, but honestly? This is for the Ranger or Rogue with a good WIS and CHA score.

The spells given to the class are for the Ranger for one thing, just with some extra spells. For another, it gives some very amazing tracking abilities as well, including the ability to track a target from across the planes. The biggest limitation for the class is how the requirements kind of punish any class willing to enter it. It requires a high BaB for those with the skill, or cross class skills for those who have the BaB.

This really limits the class, which is also not helped by it forgetting to tell the player how the hell their Crushing Despair fucking works. Hell, they forgot caster levels for their spell like abilities too, so have fun dispelling magic. Hell, Rogues and Rangers have issues with this class because you need to walk up and announce your presence and in Rogues’ case cannot sneak attack. Seriously, Fuck you Complete Divine, because this now makes 40% of the levels dead and no one benefits.

Contemplative
Contemplative.jpg

So what can I say other than this is the Hermit class? Well, the Contemplative is a class that is pretty much only for Clerics, though Paladins can become them if the player is stupid.

This is because the Contemplative gives up the average BaB that things like clerics have in favor of widening their domain pool and slowly gaining resistances. It starts off with resisting diseases, but then graduates into spell resistance up to 25 if you take all ten levels. The last neat touch is a Contemplative who finishes the PrC becomes an outsider of their alignment, making this far better than the Initiate of Pistis Sophia.

The main limitation to the class is if you started out as a martial cleric or paladin, since this runs counter to your play style. The Divine Wholeness is also pretty shit, given it’s on par with the Monk’s own regen ability, which is shit. Still, it keeps caster levels and allows you to pick domains, making this PrC amazing for the spell focused divine casters.

Divine Crusader
DivineCrusader.jpg

So this is a PrC that requires the player to think about their options for a bit. The idea is that the player becomes in body and soul a servant of their chosen deity, wielding up to level nine magic in a specific domain. This in particular can be quite good for builds like Paladins, but honestly so long as you match alignment and have the BaB you can take the class.

But you have to think hard and carefully for this build. This is mainly because you only can cast the spells from a single domain on your side. This means you have to pick a good domain or else just get nothing but garbage. The most disgusting combination you can devise is a Heironymous Paladin with the War Domain as your focus; it pretty much is Divine Gish in a Can.

Combine this with good resistances to electricity and acid, as well as becoming an outsider at level 10, and you get a solid PrC. Just make sure you don’t pick a shit domain.

Divine Oracle
DivineOracle.jpg

The ultimate crack smoking warlocks of the divine world. In more serious terms, you are a caster with divine insight into what was, what is, and what will be and tend to seize and foam at the mouth in the process. This PrC is a bit of an odd duck, in that it allows both arcane and divine casters to enter levels in it, and gain spell levels like they were still going in their original class.

Weirdly enough, I actually think this class is more useful for Wizards and Sorcerers than divine casters. This is because the PrC gives them better HD than their squishy 1d4 and gives better improvements to their Divination spells as well boost their caster levels.

As it stands, you get some amazing abilities to divination spells, and the capstone level gives you the bullshit ability to treat surprise rounds as normal rounds. This class is very powerful if you know how to make Divination spells work. Very powerful indeed.

Entropomancer
Entropomancer.jpg

The Entropomancer had the most interesting name to me when I cracked open this book, mainly because of how edgy it is given the name heavily implies decay via entropy. So these boys in lore stumble on essentially the Void while studying their magic and doing general nerd things. They then decide to give up five levels of casting in favor of messing around with spheres of annihilation, but weaker.

So they can randomly summon these shards of Nothing and chuck them at enemies or objects, doing some d6s of damage. The main feature of this class boosts it further, which culminates in a 7d6 crushing sphere of annihilation that bull-rushes people.

The problem is that it’s better to just straight up be a caster rather than this stupid class. The biggest reason is losing level 8 and 9 spells, but also only getting a thrown void sphere twice a day does not make up for it when even normal blast casting can do what the Nothing does but better in every way. That you also get hurt by it too if you get close to it also really doesn’t help.

It’s pointless and empty, just like the Void.

Evangelist
Evangelist.gif

This is a class that probably should not exist. This is because of later changes to things like Cleric, which has a variant that can use CHA (Dynamic Priest baby) and the existence of Troubadour of Stars being a far better option for the classes that would takes this as a PrC.

The concept for it is you are a poor man’s bard/cleric that has taken Charisma to new heights. You gain a smattering of boosts to allies under the field, and if you take the PrC as a bard, you even stack levels when it comes to performances. There’s a big problem however.

This class is utter shit. Your boosts for example only effect will saves or gives the group fire shield. You also only get the ability to take ten on diplomatic and social roles in stressful situations, which can on occasion be useful but is still situational. This is mediocre, but when you get NO CASTER LEVELS to boot you get garbage.

Fuck this class.

Geomancer
Geomancer.png

So this class is… well, let’s just explain it. The Geomancer is a PrC that requires the player to focus on more than one spell casting school to go into. Fluff wise, it’s because to them all magic is magic; they just use it by channeling through leylines. But this does make you have to really pick out which school you favor, since you only advance one of them.

You get some weird abilities out of this, like the ability to splice the good qualities of both your schools. So you can for example cast spells with no chance of arcane failure if you splice divine and arcane spells. He can also splice focuses, stats used, and so on. They also pick a terrain they do better in, which bolsters your effective caster level on that terrain, which can be further improved or stretched over other terrains.

There is a price though; you slowly gain traits of the terrain you focus on the further along you go. You essentially become this horrid abomination by the time you hit the capstone, becoming a twitching and screaming mass of animal and plant parts.

It’s weird, but it does let you do some weird spell jiggery for only the price of two effective caster levels for your main and being a hideous freak. It’s not bad.

Tiers (Part One)
Amazing Classes: Church Inquisitor, Contemplative, Divine Oracle
Good Classes: Spirit Shaman, Divine Crusader, Geomancer
Decent Classes: Shugenja
Playable Classes: Blighter
Garbage Classes: Black Flame Zealot, Consecrated Harrier, Entropomancer, Evangelist

Fun fact: most of the Complete books will give you a very mixed bag for classes, just like a lot of the earlier books will in general. This is again mainly due to the writers and creators still really being new to what they were working on at the time of creating this. Still, a lot of pretty good Divine PrCs can be pulled from the chaff (Contemplative or the Oracle being among my favorites), and we haven't even gotten to the most disgusting of the bunch yet; one so hideously, amazing broken due to rulings that I will have to invent a brand new tier just for those once in a blue moon type classes that destroy balance.

Part two (with said broken class and errata for Ur-Priest) will be uploaded as soon as I give enough of a shit to finish Complete Arcana; a couple of the PrCs from that class kind of broke my mind and I needed a bit of a break. So probably tomorrow knowing me.

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
I thought everyone knew Clerics were the best because they got 1d8, mid range BAB, 9th level divine casting, and proficiency in plate automatically. Apparently from the gossip the lead on D&D 3.0 was a Cleric player. Plus if your chosen deity likes you he might show up and join you for an ale. What class could compete with that?

A close second would be some stupid ass Barbarian Dwarf with 1d12 HD and 20 constitution, so he could do the dumbest stuff imaginable and survive no matter what.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
now the same for pathfinder!
It would take less time since many of the prestige classes don't exist. However, when you get into archtypes it would take longer.

Unless you get into Shifters, that class is unplayable as it was never playtested. In order to get a good Shifter class, you have to play the Legendary Shifter from Legendary Games, or the Shifter class from Drop Dead Studios (I think they're the ones who did it, or Lost Spheres).

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
now the same for pathfinder!
It would take less time since many of the prestige classes don't exist. However, when you get into archtypes it would take longer.

Unless you get into Shifters, that class is unplayable as it was never playtested. In order to get a good Shifter class, you have to play the Legendary Shifter from Legendary Games, or the Shifter class from Drop Dead Studios (I think they're the ones who did it, or Lost Spheres).
It's cute you think I'm going to give that a try...
Force everyone to play Garbage tier classes in your campaign. Therefore NOBODY is overpowered!
Not all garbage is equal. In fact, I recently read a Complete Arcane class that is one step from good, but loses by cheapness. And Risen Martyr only counts as garbage because it turns you into an NPC at the end, like another class I'll have to cover.
I thought everyone knew Clerics were the best because they got 1d8, mid range BAB, 9th level divine casting, and proficiency in plate automatically. Apparently from the gossip the lead on D&D 3.0 was a Cleric player. Plus if your chosen deity likes you he might show up and join you for an ale. What class could compete with that?

A close second would be some stupid ass Barbarian Dwarf with 1d12 HD and 20 constitution, so he could do the dumbest stuff imaginable and survive no matter what.
Wrong with every statement actually.

1. Clerics are what I consider the best, and I'm weird for it because Wizard-builds as a whole just break reality as a whole far harder than they can. I only consider them so good since they are so flexible.
  2. The lead dev was not a cleric fan; he was an Arcane caster fan. His name is Monte Cook, and you can thank him for martials being boring.
  3. The latter's a DM by DM basis; utterly useless given I'm doing this to ignore the microenvironments caused by different group homerules.
  4. Barbarians are one of the best martials, but I can name at least about oh I dunno... at least ten other classes minimum that can demolish that. HP doesn't mean anything if I can keep you at bay with prismatic walls, demolish you via will save or suck, or just so many little things like grease, web, or crushing traps.
Anyways, almost done with Complete Arcane. Expect Part two of Complete Divine soon.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After getting dragged away from a binge reread of Hellboy, I figure I might as well move on to:

Complete Divine (Pt 2)

Don't really have anything else to add to this, other than I'll be introducing a brand new tier rating: the Tippy Tier. Named in honor of the user Emperor Tippy from a webzone a good while back, he described a world where the RAW (Rules as Written) are applied in full. The results? A broken as fuck wizard world which is hideously unfun to play. I had to do this because of a very, very disgusting build that the second half of Complete Divine contains the keys to. The rest of the book contains only PrCs, so no need to customize them this time...

Holy Liberator
HolyLiberator.jpg

So did you ever feel like becoming a CG Paladin? Well, there’s the Paladin of Freedom for that. I cannot state just how absolutely pointless this particular prestige class is.

This doesn’t even have the excuse of being before the Paladin of Freedom was written; Unearthed Arcana was written a good deal before Complete Divine. So essentially this PrC was upstaged way before it was even an idea. It’s also worse in every way to the Paladin of Freedom given that it’s half the levels and you cannot get Battle Blessing since it works more like a cleric.

For a long time, I wondered why the fuck this class existed, and I finally realized thanks to @Dunsparce. This class is only useful if you want to keep playing a Fallen Paladin, but don’t want to play Blackguard. In this case, the Holy Liberator is a far better choice than Blackguard. Any other case I can think of could skip this pointless class.

Hospitaller
Hospitaller.jpg

Why the fuck does this exist? This PrC is literally just a worse paladin in every way but one. It gives you some good mounted combat and mount feats, but then does not advance your mount. It also does not advance smite, and really only advances lay on hands.

Fuck this class, just take a dip in fighter or even the fucking sword of righteousness as a paladin if you want to get the bonuses here. There is literally no reason to come to this one.

Pious Templar
PiousTemplar.jpg

So this is yet another Paladin PrC, which may explain why people don’t know what a Paladin is. The idea for these guys is that they watch over temples as divinely inspired guards. In most respects, they fight pretty much like a Paladin, which may make you wonder why they are here.

The big thing is unlike the other two I’ve listed so far, the Templar gets some neat abilities that can make non-paladins and even paladins consider taking a dip in it. The big reward for paladins is just taking a single level nets you Mettle, one of the best non-core abilities ever. For those wondering, this is the Will and Fort version of Evasion, which is pretty nice given that if you save vs. Disintegrate, you do not take damage now.

For those non-paladins entering into the PrC, you actually get a choice between Paladin or Blackguard spells depending on your deity and alignment. Pure Neutrals especially can pick which one they get.

All in all, a decent class for those concerned about saves or just want to become a partial caster in their own right.

Radiant Servant of Pelor
Pelor.jpg

This is a PrC that pretty much any Cleric who serves Pelor should pick up. This is because the Radiant Servants are essentially a Cleric but even Moreso.

Why is that you ask? Well for one thing they gain even more turn undead charges, which means that you can pump up your divine spells with them given that metamagic burns turns for it. The second great ability you get is even more castings from the Sun domain, which is a pretty good domain in and of itself.

The nicest thing of all though is you automatically do maximum healing as is and add a third domain to cast from. You can pick from Glory (a good domain and one owned by Pelor too), or Purification (which is neat since Pelor doesn’t have this one). So you get an even wider spell array.

The cost? A slightly smaller hitdie that really isn’t a big issue since it translates to only losing 1 HP per level. All in all a class worth taking if you meet the requirements (and the only real restriction is worshiping Pelor tbh).

Rainbow Servant
RainbowServant.png

So my first thought when I read the lore on Rainbow Servants are amusement that they are good casters given the tendency of human sacrifices. But eh, Coatls are lawful good creatures, so it makes sense. Anyways, the Rainbow Servant besides being absolutely fabulous are NOT designed for Sorcerers or Wizards like the fluff says.

Oh sure, those classes can use them and do well at it, especially since they’ll now be able to crack out divine scrolls just fine. But the thing is, this class is very clearly much more effective in the hands of a Beguiler or Warmage. Why? Well this is entirely due to the capstone level ability.

The Rainbow Servants slowly gain domains as they continue through the PrC, starting with the Good domain and later on gaining Air and Law. At level ten? The class opens the entire Cleric Spell list for the player. Beguilers and Warmages can pick all spells in that list to cast and do so spontaneously. Cleric spells are the second biggest list of spells in the system. The cleric spells are also treated like they are arcane now. I think you can smell the cheese.

One last note for those interested: do not read the table for the caster levels. This is because the text upfront says that the Rainbow Servants get spellcaster levels every level in the PrC. Note that the official ruling by Wizards of the Coast is that text always beats the table when conflicting information occurs. Goodbye balance, Imma go spam lvl 9 Cleric and Arcane spells all day erry day.

This class is so fucking broken, that it made me introduce a new rating: Tippy tier, in honor of the bullshit that wizards can do courtesy of Emperor Tippy.

Ratting: Tippy

Sacred Exorcist
SacredExorcist.gif

So, while writing for Complete Divine, I actually forgot this class existed. The class itself is essentially fulfilling the role of a Sacred Shaman but with a more civilized theme and as a PrC.

This class takes some doing going in, given you need to at minimum to know a 5th level spell of some sort to get into it. But even though I’ve forgotten this class existed and despite it being fairly high level to enter in, it’s worth it for Clerics and even Wizards given they can become one.

This is because the only worse element for Clerics is they lose their strong Fort save. They keep every caster level, and also gain some nice abilities. The best one has to either be either their own variant of Favored Enemy that targets the dead or outsiders specifically, or having a consecrated circle around them at all times.

The class was something I forgot existed, but it’s pretty damn good.

Sacred Fist
SacredFist.jpg

So for those fucking idiots that like Monk like me? This is probably the best PrC for them possible. The idea behind them is that they are sacred warriors who train their body and mind to peak perfection. Technically it’s more useful for Clerics, since for Monks you do have to take a couple level dip into Cleric first, but besides this it’s just better than both in every way.

Now the first thing you must do is ignore the table. This is because like the Rainbow Servant the text says you gain full caster level, and text will always beat table if they conflict with each other. Now why is this class great for Monks and much better than the Initiate of Pistis Sophia?

First thing is you get a full BaB, thus finally getting you to hit (about) as accurately as the Ranger naturally does. The second reason is that like the Initiate, your fists upgrade like you are a monk, so you don’t lose much besides the level dip you need for Cleric. Thirdly, you get to add damage to your hits via Sacred Flames, which yeah half the damage is fire, but the other half is sacred and ignores most resistances. Lastly, you actually get a pretty good +4 bonus to AC when you round up the class.

This is what the Initiate needed. Hell this is what Monks needed in general given how much you have to put into them to make the work. A sorely needed balm for that hot mess of a class.

Seeker of the Misty Isle
SeekerofIsle.jpg

The idea of this class is that the Misty Isle (Elf Atlantis) was taken away by Grummsh, and you join an order of Elves to find it. So naturally you must be an Elf to take this class. Like many of the classes from this point on, you must trust the text over the table, since you get caster levels every level unlike the two it tells you to skip on the table.

This class is one of those that I would say benefits Cleric more than the Ranger or Druid they recommend. The big restriction would be the survival ranks for the Cleric, but they lose the least compared to the other two and they can jigger ways to get it that high early (mainly due to feats). The class gets an average BaB, which is why I don’t think a Ranger would want it, but in exchange gets the very powerful Travel and Magic Domains as spells.

The class also gains the ability to rush on balance, tumble, and move silently checks with no penalty, which helps make the Cleric nice and mobile, especially with the Travel Domain in hand. The nice thing is it boosts your natural perception by up to +7 on spot and listen checks, which is nice to help stop ambushes.

All in all a pretty neat class to take as an elf.

Shining Blade of Heironeous
ShiningSword.jpg

Why would you ever want to fucking play this? Just play a Cleric of Heironeous or a Paladin.

Still interested for some reason? Fine, let me tell you why this class can go fuck itself. This class forces you to give up half of your spell casting ability as either class. In exchange? You get to apply a little bit of electrical or holy damage a couple of times a day. That’s it.

Just play a paladin. Just play a cleric with the War Domain. I don’t have anything else to say. Fuck. This. Class.

Stormlord
Stormlord.jpg

Ever wanted to be an Irish folk hero? Then this class is perfect for you! So the Stormlord is a very nice ranged fighter who via his devotion to the Storm god Talos can do some really neat storm based abilities.

The class is pretty good for clerics and druids, since they get full caster levels and an average BaB, but I know of a much more interesting and fun build to use instead. There is a variant of Ranger known as the Mystic Ranger that sacrifice their martial abilities and animal companion in exchange for more levels of magic and getting them early (which makes them front-loaded in long games sadly). This build’s magic is divine, and so meet the requirements for this PrC.

This means that if you specialize in spears and javelins, you can throw +3 Thundering and Shocking Burst weapons every time when you finish it. This is the equivalent of enchanting your ammunition to a +6 enchantment, which you should know is epic level. Besides this, the Stormlord shrugs off electrical damage, can full on summon storms, and ride around in them like nothing.

Combined with the Mystic Ranger’s wind spells and a glove of endless javelins, and you have a very powerful build.

Temple Raider of Olidammara
RaiderOlidammara.jpg

This class is very fun if you’re the right type of class. The fluff highlights that the Temple Raider is divinely ordained by their god to loot as much shit as possible from other gods, thus making them essentially Lara Croft.

The class is one that I would say Rogues could take and be very happy with the results. They do lose a little bit of their sneak attack bonuses, but they get a variety of useful toolkit spells such as airwalk, invisibility, and detecting items. They also get a pretty good bonus for disabling traps given they gain +4 to reflex saves and +4 AC when faced with traps.

The best items you get as a Temple Raider are skill mastery, allowing you to pick 3+INT skills you just take ten on in stressful situations, and the entire Luck Domain on hand. It’s a good Rogue PrC given it gives them magic, which is the only thing that makes them only slightly worse than Bards.

Void Disciple
VoidDisciple.png

Unique to most PrCs, the Void Disciple has 13 levels to it, more than the average 10, 5, or 3 PrCs. Fluff-wise, Void Disciples are somewhat similar to Entropomancers in that they are casters that learn that there is such a thing as absolute nothing. Rather than control this nothing like the Entropomancer, the Void Disciple goes a more zen route, and also kidnaps children to teach them the Void like a bunch of creeps.

This class is restrictive given you need to be a full caster and also be willing to lose five caster levels. This is because unless Epic becomes a theme for your campaign, you have to be ready to enter it by level 8, and your knowledge requirement for spellcraft maxed out. So what do you get in exchange?

Basically a slightly better scry you can use a couple of times a day… which already loses to the Divine Oracle’s natural power. It does get better, with sense thoughts and detection spells being added on, but does that really match having level nine spells?

Well how about Moment of Clarity? The idea of gaining a feat or skill points for a bit does sound nice, but you only get X amount based on the characteristic bonus. Woohoo. The “big ability” you get is a +20 on a single roll per day… only for yourself.

The last things the class tries to give you that might sound cool is getting your party or enemy to take their best or worst attribute for rolls… but they’re touch attacks and don’t usually do much in the grand scheme of things.

All this effort for a class that sucks… what a waste.

Warpriest
Warpriest.jpg

This PrC kind of takes the phrase “in times of peace, prepare for war” and runs with it right into ground. They autistically prepare for war in their waking days according to fluff, and it almost feels like the class crawled out of a Three Percenter’s fantasies because of it.

So the class itself is trying to look inviting, especially for Paladins. This is because the Warpriest gives out three pretty good spell like abilities for those willing to give up a few caster levels, mainly in the form mass cure light wounds, haste, and healing. The thing is though that you give up five levels…

Clerics do not like to lose five caster levels; this usually becomes a deal breaker for most PrCs for them since having more spells and higher levels of them are just so good in general. As for Paladins; it’s a trap. It’s a big disgusting trap that leaves you little better than an indecisive fighter.

See, those spell like abilities work by the Warpriest’s caster level. This is already pretty weak because this PrC only gives you five caster levels for ten levels. But for Paladins? Oh god that’s awful. Paladins you need to remember do not have caster levels for their first three levels. They then only gain half-caster levels based on their current level in the field. The spell growth is also slow, to ensure that your four levels are as venly spread as possible. The Warpriests caster level bonuses count like this as a paladin. Do you see the problem?

Well if not; let’s just say that by the time you’re done with this PrC, you will only be like a Level 7 Caster at Level 20. Have fun with at best 15 hp heals and pretty much no spell slots you glorified fighter.

Tl;dr this class fucking sucks.

Ur-Priest: So only Ur-Priest changed from the last time I talked about them, as Favored Soul did not change at all from the Minis book. The big changes that Ur-Priest had were that their required feats became less restricting. You just need Iron Will and Spell Focus (Evil) now. This makes the class decently easier and more effective to get into obviously.

Overall Tier List (Complete Divine)
Tippy Tier: Rainbow Servant
Amazing Classes: Church Inquisitor, Contemplative, Divine Oracle, Radiant Servant of Pelor, Sacred Exorcist
Good Classes: Spirit Shaman, Divine Crusader, Geomancer, Pious Templar, Sacred Fist, Seeker of the Misty Isle, Stormlord, Temple Raider of Olidammara
Decent Classes: Shugenja
Playable Classes: Blighter
Garbage Classes: Black Flame Zealot, Consecrated Harrier, Entropomancer, Evangelist, Holy Liberator, Hospitaller, Shining Blade of Heironeous, Void Disciple, Warpriest

The second half of Complete Divine is eponymous for most of the "Complete" books, having classes that yo-yo into being shit or damn good. But still, the most broken build I've seen so far is found here and you have some very nice options for things ranging from arcane casters to even Monks; I'm not joking when I say Sacred Fist is so good for you it's not funny.

So up next is Complete Arcane, and I'll reveal something to you about my very early foray into Complete Warrior; I've seen how much is IN that book... and I have had a taste of it's garbage. That fucker is getting split into THIRDS because of these two factors.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry for the delay, but real life was horrendous this week. Now that I'm feeling better let's move into:

Complete Arcane (Pt 1)

Complete Arcane is yet another one of the earlier expansion books that Wizard made and is the second one that I'll be covering. Like Complete Divine, this book was designed to give a variety of new PrCs to Arcane and even Divine casters for a bit of a mystical punch. Also Like Complete Divine, the roster of classes see-saw back and forth from superb to shit. And before we go in, remember that bolded means Base Class, and bolded and italicized means Prestige Class. With that in mind, let's begin:

Warlock

What else is there to say other than the Warlock is the best archer class in the game? This particular class is unique out of the Complete series in that it’s the only one to receive a lot of support outside of this book.

So the idea of a Warlock is they offer their soul to an outside source in exchange for power, kind of like a Diabolist but as a full class. In exchange they gain the ability to fling nd6 damage based on their level and a variety of invocations, which are spell-like abilities you fling out pretty much whenever you want.

To restrict the potential cheese in being a caster-esque class with infinite mana, you do not know many invocations at all. You can customize your eldritch blasts and invocations thanks to later add-ons, leading to builds like the eldritch glaive, the eldritch claw, and even bullshit sniping ability with range extensions. But throughout it all, Wizards of the Coast did make sure the effects were fairly balanced, so you can’t really full on cheese with this class.

All in all, there is a reason this class managed to bust out of this book and become something greater; you are limited to fire support roles, but the fire you lay down is infinite and can stack damage or effects rather quickly.

Wu Jen

Like the Shugenja, these casters hail from Oriental Adventures. Unlike the Shugenja though, they did get the actual eastern elements for the Wu Jen, so we have the five elements rather than four. However, the Wu Jen are just as absolutely cuntish as the Shugenja lorewise.

The Wu Jen in many ways is very much a wizard variant, given that they act almost exactly like them. They get a spell book, spell levels based every other caster level, and prepare their spells early. Unlike the Wizard, they gain a variety of very good elemental spells, and unlike the Shugenja can cast them even when they finally pick an element to focus on.

So element focusing; this works as giving you two free caster levels for the purposes of spell saves, which is pretty good. On top of that, you actually have a variety of unique spells in your book based on element, allowing you to stand out from a wizard should you have both in the party.

The other big thing I need to mention for Wu Jen are their Spell Secrets, which is essentially a free metamagic boost on one spell that does not raise its level. In exchange you take a taboo you cannot break, else you cannot cast spells.

I was ambivalent about the class first, but the extra uniqueness and the strong support it can offer makes it a far better pick than the Shugenja for weeaboo games.

Acolyte of the Skin

So my brain officially hiccuped when I read how you become an Acolyte of the Skin in fluff. I don’t know about you, but I’d consider getting skinned alive to not be very tempting. Hell, it’s pretty lethal to casters given you have to survive 10d4 damage for it. But anyway, how’s the crunch?

So the PrC removes five caster levels in the process, which already makes me close to flunking it. However, they do get some very neat items in exchange. For one, they get +2 bonuses to Dex and Con that can be stacked with other boosts. They also get some nice natural AC which has use for a squishy class. They even have some decent glare and ray abilities too.

But it just doesn’t stack up to five levels lost caster wise. Level 8 and 9 spells just are so much more effective than these supernatural abilities that the wizard can already do. Picking an Acolyte is basically like degloving your feet; it cripples you and hurts a lot.

Alienist

If you ever wanted to put Lovecraft into your campaigns, these guys are who you turn to. The idea of these guys are they are aware of planes that violate the normal laws of space-time and can augment or summon things from it. These things then cause the brain to ooze out your ears and the alienist themselves slowly become something like that.

The class itself is pretty near perfect for the player that wants a better version of the conjuration focused Wizard or Sorcerer. You keep both your caster levels AND familiar improvements, meaning that things like Sorcerer actually lose nothing.

In exchange, you get a lot of very useful abilities, for very marginal losses. You will ultimately lose some WIS and a lot of bonuses on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Handle Animal. These are things that you as a caster don’t really worry about. In exchange, you get a nice bonus to HP, a very useful template for your monsters, the ability to summon more of them, and free metamagic feats.

Lastly you yourself finally become a horrid alien abomination at the capstone, giving you the outsider template in the process. This class is very amazing if you like the eldritch fluff, and just straight improves conjurers and those that focus on minionmancy of any sort.

Argent Savant

Did you ever want to find a way to make Magic Missile or some of your other force spells nastier? This is the PrC for you then my friend. The idea behind this class is that the caster slowly begins to become fascinated with how force is magic in its purest form and so sacrifice some of their training to perfect it.

You do lose a spell level going into the class, which hurts; I will hammer home every time that losing such a thing always will hurt. But in exchange, you gain some very useful bonuses to force spells. Things like Magic missile or its big bro Chain Missile now add some extra damage, and things like Orb of Force have bonuses to hit.

Things like Mage Armor and Wall of Force also gain boosts to their effects as well, namely in AC for the former. Lastly, you gain a very rare resistance to force damage, which only Force Dragons get, as well as the ability to dismantle force spells and have them destruct on the caster.

It’s a short PrC, but it uses its five levels well.

Blood Magus

This PrC is pretty much impossible to play as due to the stupid and awful requirements it puts on you. You first have to waste three feats that honestly are more useful to a Martial to a caster. That’s bad enough, but you then have to die and come back… which means you are now forever one level lower than your pals. The only way around this would be to intentionally set up a fight against pissants and then geek the idiot caster and then have the Cleric blow 1k of diamonds for a Revivify. So with that shitshow over with, what do you get?

You get to sub your spell components by cutting yourself instead for one thing, but only if it costs less than a GP. So cool, a free eschew materials… which by the by is only useful if you’re waiting for Epic Campaigns. You also ignore basically your level of Blood Magus in terms of calculating concentration’s DC, which is useless given that you should not be in a fight anyway.

The Blood Magus then gets edgy useless shit in the form of cutting scrolls into their skin and potions from their blood… that STILL fucking cost exp and in the case of the potion LOSES EFFECT IN ONE FUCKING ROUND! I’m fucking screaming and my head hurts reading this, and I’m not even halfway done with this pile of ass… the only thing keeping me going is the hilarious idea of Cancer Mage/Blood Magus forcing people to drink their AIDS infected blood for healing.

And I just fucking remembered you get a free and useless death knell a level between those two… GOD DAMNIT. For fucks sake, you lose a SPELL LEVEL FOR A HOMUNCULUS! I struggled to fucking spell homunculus just now because my fingers were twitching in hate. Fuck this class. But wait there’s more!

You stab yourself in the gribblies to do a minor amount of damage, though reading this is doing critical vile damage to my brain. One level later, when the character is fucking level 13 you get DR FUCKING ONE! I THINK THE FUCKING WARRIOR OF DARKNESS GOT LESS SHIT AND I JUST WANT TO AAAAAAA-

FUCK! Even the best ability it has is trash; Awaken blood (which does some good damage) requires you to fucking touch the enemy with the nerfed familiar or just your squishy ass… I hate. I hate. I fucking hate.

Near the end of the class, you finally get the CON bonus you needed to even start making this pile of shit work, while also losing another caster level because why not. I then was surprised to see the amazing capstone to this level, leading me to think that the writer also wrote the fucking Trunamer. You see, you get basically treewalk, but it allows you to teleport through people in a torrent of blood, causing them to shriek in fear and horror. My declined mental state enjoys seeing such an atrocity happen.

This is currently my least favorite class, to the point that I actually would rather play a Warrior of Darkness over it. Fuck. This. Class.

Effigy Master

I’m very happy this class came after Blood Magus, because I’ve always had a soft spot for constructs. The Effigy Master is a person obsessed with the animating force of life itself, and seeks to find a way to make their own creations have that certain life force as well.

Basically, for the cost of a single caster level (always pricey) you can make some pretty bad-ass bootleg constructs. This is because the Effigy as a template can be used on most things, including those with templates already. Want to make a robot of a celestial crocodile? Sure. Want to make a dire porpoise? Fuck it, go ahead. You think of a weird idea, you can make an effigy, with all the base stats of the thing you’re ripping off.

The big price is that your effigy cannot really use supernatural or spell-like abilities, since you just made it out of twine and balsa wood. But you pick the right monster and you can make some magic happen, having up to 25 HD of hurt.

It’s a weird PrC that just tickles the part of me that like robots. It’s a bit of a situational build, but you can definitely have some fun with it.

Elemental Savant

So this class from the outset sounds like a somewhat worse version of the Argent Savant. They both become enamored with a certain part of magic, but unlike the Argents with their love of force, these guys pick a western element. I do like the nod that they remembered Warmages exist, and it’s nice to even see this class is kind of like the Divine Oracle in that Divine casters and Arcane casters can become one.

As for how they stack up? Pretty damn good actually. I’ll open up with the fact that you do lose two caster levels and are stuck with that energy damage type for spells that have energy types, which is a bit hefty. But in exchange, you gain a variety of nice abilities. You gain increased resistances to your elemental damage type, you get bonuses to caster level DCs that stack with feats, meaning you get some pretty hard to avoid energy spells. And there’s just even more that’s really nice to have too.

For one thing, you also boost your ability to punch through spell resistance and it stacks with feats is one of my favorites out of this lot. Another really nice feature is immunities to sleep, paralysis, and poison. But the capstone? Damn is it a good one! You become an elemental, with all the cheese that it brings! Flanked? Don’t care. Crits? Don’t exist in your world. And anyone stupid enough to touch you takes damage too. This is what you take instead of Blood Magus.

Fly free you brand new air elemental; fly free and zap to the extreme.

Enlightened Fist

So this is the Arcane version of the Sacred Fist. The far, far worse iteration of the Sacred Fist. Now how is this build so shit? Let’s begin with you being a Monk/Wizard or Monk/Sorcerer and needing to dip into the opposite class that you’d want to be good. Remember, Monks already need four good stats… this adds a fifth stat to at least be good. And wizards should never fucking be on the front. This idea sucks every which way you cut it.

Also, unlike the Sacred Fist, this pile of shit does nothing right. You do not get full caster levels for one thing, while the Sacred Fist did, which let me tell you can at least make you a decent pinch hitter if you need another cleric. But the big fuck you has to be that you do not get a full BaB, the thing Monks deserved in base IMO.

In exchange for this, you do get some neat abilities to count attacks as casting spells and can treat Ray spells like touch attacks. Diamond Soul is also a good item, since gaining natural spell resistance is kind of neat. But then you get Arcane Renewal.

What’s that? Why it’s the worst healing ability I HAVE EVER SEEN! I legit was reduced to laughter reading it. This is because you at best can heal 9 points of damage if you somehow have a level 9 spell. I cannot even this class. The biggest fuck you has to be that despite being a PrC, there is no capstone to the level.

Skip this and just play Sacred Fist if you have hideous brain damage like me and like Monks.

Fatespinner

The entire theme of the Fatespinner is the salty gamer who is sick and tired of the dice rolling low (or high). The Fatespinner is a person who basically looks at reality and screams to change it in a way that benefits them. For fluff reasons, this is why the player needs a few ranks in gambling before going in.

This results in a strange five level PrC; you get very small and modest abilities that allow you to rig events more in your favor. You have a small pool of points (that matches level) that allow you to boost a save DC or checks by up to your Fatespinner level for that day. You also get pretty much a free Alter Fortune once a day, which is very nice; forcing a reroll can always be nice.

The last level of Fatespinner is strange; you give up a caster level and get a once per day ability to force a bonus or penalty to all saves for one saving roll. This to me makes the class a decent four level option for a Sorcerer, since they don’t really lose anything taking it, and a free Alter Fortune to boot. Nifty to snag, but I’d suggest skipping for more potent PrCs.

Geometer

Wizards already write in a spell-book, but Geometers go just a bit further than that. These particular nerds realize that spells all have an innate structure and can also be infused into runes, diagrams, or glyphs. They then study the geometry of these spells to perfect them. Because of that obsession with penmanship, only Wizards, Wu Jen, and Death Masters can really spec into Geometers.

Bit of a shame too, since the class itself opens up with a nice gift; the ability to write down and cast Glyphs of Warding, which almost no arcane casters can do given how it’s a divine spell. For those wondering, it basically is a stationary trap that can slam down up to 8d6 damage or fling third level spells or summons. It’s nifty if you want to keep your home base safe.

You also gain the ability to scribe down spell-glyphs, which for those wondering are essentially prepared spells that the caster can pull out and use without the material or vocal components. Pretty nice if you get hit with anything that can affect either portions, though a wee bit pricey given the ink costs 25 GP per spell level.

Later on, the Geometer can crunch down spells with his own shorthand, which is nice because an often-forgotten thing about spellbooks are they have a limited number of pages. Yes, a spellbook has 100 pages, and spells cost one page per level. This is really nice if you have a DM that remembers this little feature, since even ninth level spells can be crunched into one page. It also prevents other nerds from reading your shit.

Besides this, you get some nice rogue like abilities that allow you to find and temporarily spoof Glyph based traps for parties. They even get a 6th level Divine spell (Greater Glyph of Warding) and a slight boost to caster level when using spell glyphs as well. It’s a nice little prestige class that doesn’t hurt for spellcasters with books. I like it a lot.

Tiers (Part One)
Tippy Tier: N/A
Amazing Classes: Wu Jen, Alienist, Elemental Savant, Geometer
Good Classes: Warlock, Argent Savant,
Decent Classes: Effigy Master, Fatespinner
Playable Classes: Acolyte of the Flesh
Garbage Classes: Blood Magus, Enlightened Fist

And that's part one of Complete Arcane. Expect Part 2 either next week or the week after depending on if life continues to be a bit of a one.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The week's all wrapped up, my Friday game's done, and I have some free time, so let's just finish off:

Complete Arcane (Pt 2)

We're on to Part Two of Complete Arcane everyone. This back-half has a variety of weird and awesome classes, as well as the worst fucking class in the book as well. It also has the sequel to the Geometer if you wan an utterly cheesy Abjurer. Let's go here we go.

Green Star Adept

This class… this class is notorious in circles who have read Complete Arcane. And it’s for good reason, because every element of this PrC is weird, dumb, or just plain wrong. I will open up with this dumpster fire of a class by just describing the fluff, for it is so stupid my first thought was legitimately “What the fuck is this shit?”.

So there is this magical equivalent of Halley’s Comet that crosses around the planet every now and again, the magical aura fucking over everything. It causes things like riots, disease, monsters, the IRS, and so many other things. So what do these guys do? They compulsively study it and hoard it like crack-addict, all while hissing at the other crack addicts for looking at your stash.

Now why am I comparing this horror show of a class to crackheads? Because they fucking eat it. They eat the cancerous, super-expensive, magical rocks in the hopes of gaining its power. This process costs 1,000 GP, and wastes a lot of valuable starmetal in the process, since that material is a lot more useful in making swords and armor. Not joking, starmetal has all the qualities of adamantine, but with an added damage bonus to outsiders and gives you DR against them too.

So on a fluff level alone, these guys are horrendously shit. Mechanically, they somehow are even worse. You need to have a stupidly high BaB for a caster to want to go down this fucking route. If you’re a martial, then you need a lot of cross-class knowledge skills and take combat casting to boot. It just cripples you before you even take the class!

It gets sadder too; you also then gain only simple weapons if you decided for some fucking reason to be one of these addicts. You then lose five whole slots of spells thanks to this shit decision. Bye bye 9th and 8th level spells, I don’t need you when I have eldritch space coke to snort like a fucking junkie.

Speaking of coke fiends, your caster levels for some reason are perfect… which completely ignores how you only have the slots of a 15th level caster. So no, you do NOT get those slots, unless you have put down the money you are blowing on space crack into INT boosting items, which you are probably not doing since you are either a moron or brand new to the game and PrCs in particular if you pick this class.

Oh, did I mention you’re wasting more money on space dust? Yeah; each level costs 1k of starmetal a pop to get the class features to work. This is the only class I know of that has microtransactions as a part of it.

Each level of Space Junkie gives you weird powers that try to trick new players into taking them. They gain +6 STR at the cost of 3 DEX in a series of stages. The player also slowly becomes more and more like a statue, since eating magical crack replaces flesh with starmetal. The final level capstone then proceeds to fuck you over by turning you into a starmetal construct that cannot be healed by anything but those awful and weaker repair spells.

Which now reminds me of three things. The first is this: why the fuck would a caster care about becoming a martial but worse in every way? Spells are far more efficient and flavorful that this. A subset of this would be why the fuck would a martial cripple their BaB for this when the money spent on items is better? second is: why play this when Duskblade or Cleric do this gish set-up but better? And the third is why the fuck does this exist?

Seriously; this is the rare class that makes everything it touches worse off for existing. It even leaves you as a potential victim for more Space Junkies who want to shatter you for that sweet fucking cancer rock.

Even Blood Magus isn’t this shit. Even Blood Magus sucks less…

Rating: Truenamer

Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

The far less fabulous version of the Rainbow Servant, the Initiate is essentially a caster who looks at the pretty colors of Prismatic spells and wants to specialize in them. The PrC is unique in that it fittingly has seven levels, which match Newton’s obsession with there being seven main colors.

This is a very late appearing class, but it makes sense given that you’re specializing in one of the nastier Abjuration spells. And that you also get some brutal abilities on your own, makes this late bloomer extremely nasty. You can by the end of this PrC freely cast up to four times a day all seven color aspects as either walls, a 15 foot defensive circle, or a personal shield in the form of wards. This means you can casually lay down things that insta-kill, insta-petrify, or insta plane-shift when some idiot decides to try and geek the mage or anyone in front of said wall of protection and they fail the fairly high save check that you get out of this. And that’s not even all.

The Initiate also gets some really nice shit on top of the free adjustable Prismatic walls. On first level alone, they get a passive level bonus to their abjuration spells that raise the DC by their Initiate level. So your abjuration spells can have up to +7 to resisting any dispelling a foe might do, weakening the one thing that can really beat abjuration. It only gets better.

The next level and 6th level, the Initiate gains a +2 that grows to +4 to breaking or countering an opponent’s abjuration spell, which is pretty damn nice. At the mid-way point, you can insta-summon a veil and force any chargers or idiots nearby to stop it mid-stride.

To further add to the BS of this class, they can double cast wards and not spend the price of two later. The capstone is fucking evil; you get a free Greater Dispel Magic that demolishes buffs put on enemies and then forces them to go from least bad to worst color aspects to boot.

This class is a must-have for Abjuration builds, and you can then stack it with Geometer for even more specialization.

Mage of the Arcane Order

So this class is weird to me, given that I often describe there being at least some form of mage schooling already in my settings. These guys all form a potent guild that basically requires dues and in exchange for that you get some decent perks.

These perks are mainly the ability to cast spells not in your book, getting a free extra spell, and a couple of metamagic feats. I’m genuinely baffled at this class existing, since this very heavily focuses on roleplaying elements and paying off debts since the casting of spells not in the book requires you to pay them back.

To be honest, I can’t really say it’s worth all the managing as a DM or as a player, since the management doesn’t really give perks that are that amazing. To give you an idea, it’d just be easier to use loot to buy scrolls to transcribe down in your books and be a normal wizard than play this thing.

I consider this easily skippable; you don’t really get any major bonuses and there are already better classes that exist in this book. I just don’t understand why this is here.

Rating: NPC (Would be Playable)

Master Transmogrifist

Now I’m miffed I used the Brundlefly image early, since this fucking PrC’s picture IS Brundlefly. So the class… why the fuck does this exist?! I think this was an attempt to make this an Arcane Druid style class, but it doesn’t work for two reasons.

This class has a naturally poor BaB, and it comes from a class that already had poor BaB to begin with! It does however give you bonuses to hit every three levels, which actually has it just barely match out the Druid when wildshaped. This would have made the class a very fun build, but then you get to the second problem: you keep your fucking d4 HD per level.

And that’s not even counting how you lose four caster levels out of this particular turkey. This is supposed to be the Transmutation specialist, but this idiocy in written form fucking removes the best spell you have out of that school due to missing four caster levels, all while giving bonuses to that spell… who the fuck designed this?

The awful thing is this class is ALMOST good. You get all the extraordinary abilities a critter has by the end of it, and can quick-shot change into it a few times a day. That they do not give you ninth levels to benefit from actually having Shapechange, do not let you respond by quick-changing more often (about where the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil could throw down wards), and give you supernatural abilities to boot. Almost great, but it crashed and burned due to stinginess and that fucking pisses me off…

Mindbender

So a better name for this class would be the Cultleader or Conman class given that the fluff describes them as just a bunch of dick-holes who learned magic just to control people. The fluff also kind of hints that this class will be kind of shit, since it’s pretty open about you giving up a lot to be basically an Arcane Thrallherd. So how does it stack as a build then?

Pretty naff honestly, though hilariously a level dip into it is okay. From the beginning you lose five caster levels that you will not get back, thus saying goodbye to both 9th and 8th level spells. But if you take only the first level, you can freely use telepathy whenever you want, which is nice. But then it mutates into garbage when it gives you its scaling spell-like ability.

Push the weak mind gives you a free Suggestion spell up to three times a day, and Suggestion is pretty weak given how early you get it compared to how late you can enter this class in (basically you need to be level ten to enter it). The mindread you get later on is also stupidly weak given that it’s treated as a 2nd level spell and the saves are quite beatable for the enemy.

The so-called best ability is Eternal Charm, which is fucking garbage. Charm for those wondering IS NOT SOMETHING THAT CONTROLS MINDS. It is something that makes the guy you cast it on feel friendly towards you. So really, you’re just making the hideous gorgon sent to guard the lost treasure of Flingledorp the Mad feel bad about driving you away… stupid.

This pile of shit is supposed to be the Enchanter’s specialty class, and I do feel for those poor dumb bastards. The only thing you might have that helps you is a dominate, but fuck this class. Thrallherd does this shit at LEVEL ONE.

Seeker of the Song

I’m not going to lie, I was very tempted to blithely ignore this class existing and just move on to the next one. You see, this was one of TWO bard PrCs, and this one can already go fuck itself without me clarifying at all why beyond this simple statement: THEY GET NO FUCKING SPELL LEVELS!

But fuck it, let’s continue since the delusional fuck-nut that wrote this shit sure as hell did. You forever give up everything beyond 4th level, and you better HOPE you were smart enough to get the CHA needed for 4th level spells, since you naturally start with ZERO slots in that situation.

Instead of that, your bardic performances basically allow you to cast spell-like abilities, with spending another turn doing the same song giving a refrain effect. The big goddamn issue is that they’re AT BEST SITUATIONAL. The best refrain you have just does the same damage that you’d do as a Bard with 5th level spells… but at level fucking 19.

The best song? Basically a normal bard can do it with a variant level. Fuck this class, fuck this class, fuck this class.

Sublime Chord

The big irony in all this is that the pile of shit that is the Seeker of the Song is immediately followed by the Sublime Chord. This is kind of the polar opposite to the Seeker, in that the Sublime Chord spends great time and effort boosting their spell casting ability to understand the music of the universe rather than work on their own songs. This means that you do not gain new songs, but honestly? Where you’re going, you won’t need them.

The Sublime Chord is an amazing nightmare of a Prestige Class that just manages to avoid being in Tippy tier, which again is a dichotomy between quality and crap. The only thing that you lose is some of your number of times you can perform and some songs. In exchange you get to add the fucking Wizard’s spells to your book (THE BIGGEST IN THE GAME) and treat caster levels like a Bard.

What this means is you can now do nasty shit like Irresistable Dance several levels lower than a Wizard or Sorcerer could, and also have the slots to do it more often. You also get some ability to up caster levels for your spell via performance, adding a nice little extra helping of trouble to your save or suck spells.

Oh, and did I say you don’t get new songs? I fucking lied; you get some decent songs out of the mix, including one that can freeze your enemy for a bit so you can prepare for extra pain as needed.

If you want a Bard PrC, this is the one you should pick. It’s disgusting.

Suel Arcanamach

Oh hey, looks like Wizards of the Coast tried to make a second Gish build in this book, and it’s already a million times less stupid than Space Junkie. My guess is it’s because of the writer. I say this because I suspect that the guy who made the Mage of the Arcane Order also wrote the Suel Archanamach, since it talks a LOT about the Greyhawk setting for these guys and the lore behind them.

In short, their traditions come from an ancient order of essentially Magical Knights/Assassins that watched over the Archmages that once ruled a long dead empire. To join their ranks, you have to have a pretty insane list of skills and BaB as well as knowing a dead language to boot. It is honestly why I think the idea is you need to start as a martial.

The most hilarious thing about all this is that the Mystic Ranger build I referenced once or twice is one of those rare ducks this PrC works for. But I’d also say it’d be a decent pick for any Martial that wants to pick up some abilities, since you get up to 5th level spells too. Swordsages can for example go in the class a little later than the Ranger, but it’d not be bad for them.

The best way to describe the Suel Arcanamach is that they are the Arcane Equivalent to the Divine Crusader in terms of the chassis; they share BaB and HD after all. They also have limitations on spells they can cast, since the Arcanamach can only cast from the Illusion, Abjuration, Transmutation, and Divination Schools. Unlike the Divine Crusader though, they get all the spells, and those schools have a wide variety.

This class actually is pretty damn nice to slip into, given that Abjuration and Transmutation do give good buffing abilities for any martial like the Arcanamach. They do suffer from arcane failure at first, but slowly reduce the chances to the point that by the capstone, they lose that fear up to chainshirts, and/or very blinged out full-plate.

Besides this, they can resist dispels, can essentially cast a dispel on a hit, and even strengthen their own buffs. It’s all in all a very nice PrC for a martial interested in buffs and other assortments to slip into and who do not want to waste a level dipping into a caster first.

Wayfarer Guide

Oh hey, another PrC written by that cripplingly autistic lore sperg. The Wayferer Guide in short is a Wizard or Sorcerer who spends a bit of time to figure out how to teleport better, essentially becoming fancy buses in robes and wizard hats.

The class is short and to the point; it gives the player bonuses to how much they can teleport at once, how often they can do it, and reduces the chances of dying hideously via teleportation accidents. You lose a caster level doing this, but in exchange you can reroll on teleport, take the whole party with you, and go even further than normal. Oh, and for those three levels you get a slightly better d6 HD.

It’s nifty; something I’d take if my character really had nothing better to do with their levels.

Wild Mage

This class is always an interesting one to pick up as a caster. Wild Mages basically treat magic as the mindbreaking shit that it is and gives up any form of real control over it. This allows them to be very… well, very random, with all the bonuses and issues that you get from rolling with the RNG.

The first level gives you a taste of it; you cast your spells as if you’re three levels weaker than you are, but roll a 1d6 to see what caster level you apply to your spell for resistances and other purposes. Sometimes you roll trash, sometimes you roll gold. After that, you pick up a supernatural ability that randomly redirects targeted attacks at you to d# of objects that are in the area, which is usually nice for you at least.

Then we get into the hilarity; you getting rerolls on items like the Rod of Wonder or the Bag of Tricks, which later extends to your own ability to act like a Rod of Wonder nine levels into the class. For those curious; this also applies to the Deck of Many Things, so have fun gambling with the Devil kiddies.

Other items I forgot to mention includes ignoring confusion and insanity and the ability to force the enemy to roll a percentile die and if they fail they get Rod of Wonder effects for their casting.

They’re a very fun PrC, but it’s one where you have to accept where the dice fall more often than not, and dice can already be utter cunts in games.

Tiers (Complete Arcane)
Amazing Classes: Wu Jen, Alienist, Elemental Savant, Geometer, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, Sublime Chord
Good Classes: Warlock, Argent Savant, Suel Arcanamach, Wild Mage
Decent Classes: Effigy Master, Fatespinner, Wayfarer Guide
Playable Classes: Acolyte of the Flesh
Garbage Classes: Blood Magus, Enlightened Fist, Master Transmogrifist, Mindbender, Seeker of the Song
Truenamer Class: Green Star Adept
NPC Class (Fuck you Book): Mage of the Arcane Order (Would be Playable)

It's really not shocking that Complete Arcane had a better line-up than the rest of the Completes I've covered so far. Yeah, you have Space Junkie and a good cluster of trash, but you have a variety of other options that are at least playable. The majority of them aged fairly well and remain quite viable, though fuck Blood Magus.

Anyways, I'll work on part 2 of Complete Warrior tomorrow, so don't worry I'm not getting too lazy (blame my work shifts for delays). And I can tell you this: expect a surprise update not by me, but by a person who knows the system far better than me. You'll know when you see it.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Staff Member
Community Admin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
With @Adamska 's permission, I am doing a review of the various classes and variants from Dragon Magazine and books that are based around subsystems found outside of Vancian Casting, like Psionics

The first thing I will be covering is one of my personal favorite books in 3.5, Dragon Compendium.

For a bit of backstory, Ever since 1st edition there were two companion magazines that added new classes, races, items, ect to the base D&D game. The first was Dragon Magazine, which was aimed at players and DMs alike for new character options, settings, and guides, and then there was Dungeon Magazine, a magazine that until partway through 3.X was bimonthly, and was filled to the brim with prebuilt modules for all level ranges and sizes, some being one-shots and others being long-running adventures that get expanded within multiple issues. In 2007 Wizards of the coast decided to pull the plug on both, ending their run of over 30 years. It was pretty abrupt and from the people that worked on the magazine there were still many articles they came up with that were never published.

During the time before it was cancelled unceremoniously, they released a book that compiled many classes, races, items, feats, and articles from Dragon. Of note is that a large chunk of all of these things but the feats were originally exclusive to AD&D and were converted to 3.5 in this book. Unfortunately it is hard to tell how much this book is a "best-of", because, as you can see in the picture above, the full name of the book is Dragon Compendium Volume I. Due to the abrupt ending of not only the magazine, but 3.5 in general(Didn't even give it a proper send-off like AD&D got), they never made a volume II. Since they were most likely holding back on many nice things to put into at least one other volume, one can only wonder what could've been.

Anyways, here are the Classes and Prestige classes from this book:

Base Classes:

Battle Dancer

Have you ever wanted to play a chaotic-aligned Monk with full BAB and notable class features past level 6? If this very specific thing is exactly what you've been asking for, then Battle Dancer is for you.

On top of also getting bonuses on unarmed strikes and not wearing armor(albeit with Charisma instead of Wisdom), they get numerous abilities that use the Tumble skill(similar to bards and perform you need to keep max ranks to get new abilities). They also gain many ways to more mobile, from being able to tumble and fully move in one turn, to walking on water or magma, to full-on flight at higher levels. The biggest thing for them is that at level 11 they basically get the Pounce Ability. Pounce, for those unaware, allows you to make multiple attacks on a charge. This highly sought-after ability is the crux of many martial builds. And you don't even have to do anything fancy to get it.

However, not all is sunshine and rainbows. Its main way for overcoming damage reduction eats a standard action up, and due to having completely different class features from monk and being Charisma-based instead of Wisdom-based, it is much harder to qualify for many unarmed fighting feats, if you can get them at all. Additionally, like Monk it needs four stats to be good at its job, which is a lot to ask for. However, fun times can be had if you roll lucky(or alternatively, the DM is generous with Point Buy)

Death Master

Death Master is an arcane caster that specializes in Necromancy, gets rebuke undead, and ultimately becomes a Lich at level 20. Sound Familiar? There is another class that is far more well known called Dread Necromancer, which fits that description, too. However, instead of being a spontaneous full-list caster similar to the Warmage and Beguiler, it is instead a spellbook user similar to the Wizard and Wu Jen. While Dread Necro is much better at the whole undead army thing, what this class gets in return is flexibility. It's spell list is pretty large, having many nice spells from both the wizard/sorcerer and cleric spell lists. It can do many things not directly related to Necromancy itself, like getting a good amount of spells related to Ice and Stone, and spells dealing with mind-control. It also gets an animal companion-like undead minion, which can be traded out at higher levels for better options, including many incorporeal undead.

One thing that makes it stand out from other arcane casters is its Chassis. Chassis is the term people use to refer to the basic frame of a class, which includes hit Die size, base attack bonus progression rater, and saving throw progression rate. Most full 0-9 arcane casters get d4 hit die, or if the designers are feeling generous, d6, on top of poor BAB progression and only good Will saves. While the latter is the same for Death Master, it gets a whopping d8 hit die and average BAB, basically the same as a Druid without a good Fort save. Note that chassis doesn't automatically make a class good or bad per say. Wizards have one of the worst in the game are the best class by far, while the Knight from Player's Handbook II has one of the best but is complete shit.

For low-level games, this is your best bet for necromancy because it gets the Animate Dead spell as a level 2 spell, so as early as level 3 you can start building and army. For comparison, Clerics get it at level 5, Wizards at level 7, and Sorcerers and Dread Necromancers at level 8.

It's biggest flaws overall is that it barely gets any class abilities and lacks the ability to gain the many powerful non-core Necromancy spells available to Cleric, Wizard, and Dread Necromancer.

However, Overall a solid class that gets some stuff to stand out from many similar ones.

Jester

Jester is pretty much a bizzaro Bard. They have the same chassis, same spell slot/spells known progression, and get similar abilties at the same level. However, while the Bard gets many healing and support spells, and songs to buff allies, the jester uses both is performances and spells mostly for debuffing or disrupting foes.

As long as you keep maxing out Perform: Comedy, you will get a large number of skits that can lower the rolls of foes, and in one case even aggro one to walk towards and/or attack you. If that sounds bad for something as squishy as a bard, it gets many things like a scaling deflection bonus to AC and getting both the deflect arrows and snatch arrows feats for ranged foes that try to target them. Their spell list also has many gems. It still gets Grease and Glitterdust like Bard, but also gets many things Bard can't like Reduce Person and the extremely potent Polymorph spell.

However, similar to most of the classes both before and after it in this book, it lacks the splatbook support that even many non-core base classes get, so its spell list is pretty small and there aren't many feats to enhance its class features. It also can easily be a class that will make your DM and fellow players hate your guts if you ham it up too much.

Mountebank

After three nice classes in a row, its time to get into shit. Mountebank is poorly designed and is only notable for being really edgy fluff-wise, since you are the faithful servant of a powerful devil or demon. It is a Rogue that can only sneak attack every other turn at best since the extra damage only works when they are "beguiled", a status effect exclusive to the class that they need to inflict on the target first and only lasts 1 round. Assuming they don't pass the save that is.

They also get many supernatural and spell-like abilities that are fueled by a resource similar to bard songs in how they are used, but almost everything you can do with them is outshone by a class ironically called the Beguiler, of all things.

The best part is that after taking 20 levels of a class that is like a rogue/beguiler hybrid but worse than both in every way, you gain the Half Fiend Template. That's fantastic and all, but what comes with it is your soul being dragged down into the lower planes, now the property of your evil patron and you are now considered an NPC. While it does say your party or the mountebank itself can try to free them from this fate via some plane-hopping ass-kicking, You're better off just rolling up a new character, fancy template or not. I mean, the Death Master is in the SAME BOOK and gets a similarly powerful template at the same level, does NOT become an NPC, AND HAS CLASS ABILITIES WORTH A DAMN.

Rating: NPC Class (Would be Garbage)

Savant

Savant is an attempt at making a jack-of-all-trades class in the sense that they can do a little of everything. They get every skill in the game they can disarm traps and sneak attack like a rogue, they can make a general knowledge checks like Bards, and can dabble in both arcane and divine magic without the need to multiclass. Sounds pretty nifty, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, in practice, it's horrendously underwhelming. It's sneak attack caps at 3d6 by level 20, its arcane spells are limited to level 1-4 spells with half caster level and any good stuff it gets comes much later then almost anything else that gets those same ones. It's divine caster is the same, but even worse then that, since you don't get any until level 10. I'm sure that 1d8+5 HP worth of healing is worth it at a level where many martials have around 100 HP.

If I had to give it positives in any way, it gets a couple free feats, that unlike wizard and fighter bonus feats can be anything, and having access to every skill imaginable can give you all the cheesy stuff like Iajutsu Focus, Use Magic Device, and Use Psionic Device without multiclassing, and also can roll for an ally for a certain set of skills.

But the final nail in the coffin for this ever seeing any wide use is the existence of a significantly better jack-of-all-trades class known as the Factotum. It also has every skill as a class skill, but also is overall a lot better in most ways.

Sha'ir

The Sha'ir is a very odd class. It has an arabian theme that makes it seem alien to every other base class, and gets a lot of weird genie-themed powers.

A Sha'ir is capable of casting level 0-9 Wizard/Sorcerer spells and has access to divine spells from a large swath of core cleric domains, meaning technically THIS class has the largest spell list in all of 3.5, not Wizard/Sorcerer.

However, the biggest speed-bump in all of this is actually how it casts spells. It is neither prepared or spontaneous, but both at the same time. Basically you use your special familiar to negotiate with the forces of the elemental planes to let you borrow spells to cast for a number of hours equal to your class level. You have a list of spells known like a sorcerer, and they take 1d4+spell level rounds to grab. Wizard/Sorcerer spells that aren't spells known can be retrieve for use over 1d6+Spell level minutes, and those domain spells(which are actually considered divine in nature), take a whopping 1d6+spell level hours to grab, whether or not they are spells known. Additonally, to get them within that time limit requires a DC 20 Diplomacy check, or else it will be delayed a bit. Prepare to have the rest of the party waiting for you to constantly grab spells every few hours at early levels.

Whether or not you can get the free time to cast your spells all day, you also get the ability to summon various types of Djinn, though it costs money and XP to use, and you get planeshift as a spell-like ability at level 9 that becomes at-will at level 18, but you can only go to the elemental planes with it.

It's pretty odd overall, it took multiple reads to completely understand how its casting works, it seems the class with the game's largest spell list has that perk countered by its cumbersome, confusing, and time-consuming way of getting spells to cast for the day. It's up to you to decide if it is worth it.

Urban Druid

Urban Druids are basically just Druids that love cities instead of nature. They get level 0-9 Divine spells, can transform into various humanoids, vermin and animated objects, and have a spell list full of some decent choices at every spell level, but a lot of crap too.

The biggest boon they have over normal Druid is their Urban companion. While normal Druids are mostly regulated to animals without feats, Urban druid has many urban-themed animals, vermin, animated object, and even a few monsters(like carrion crawler and otyugh). While its spell list is objectively worse than its nature brethren, it still gets some important options like Disintegrate and Shapechange. It lacks any summoning spells or many direct damage options, but if you are creative enough you can at least be disruptive with spells like Hold Monster and Rusting Grasp, and even be the party face complete with access to Glibness and most social skills as class skills.

One last thing I should note is that since it doesn't get summoning spells, it instead spontaneously casts the Repair Damage line of spells. It's basically healing spells for objects and constructs, the usefulness of this ability is highly dependent on if you picked an animated object for your urban companion or not. Don't play Warforged with this class, they get penalties to their main casting stat, and you can use normal healing spells if you want to heal yourself, just not spontaneously(Unless you take the Spontaneous Healer feat).

Prestige Classes:

Aerial Avenger

Do you like flying a lot? Do you REALLY like flying a lot? Do you want a class that focuses on nothing but improving your ability to fly with nothing else of note? That is pretty much this class. Even the description notes that the most common members of this class aren't even playable races, mostly various types of flying monsters. Your fly speed increases in both distance and maneuverability, you gain bonuses to attack and damage rolls when flying, and you gain a weird AoE effect to panic foes as a capstone. This class is seemly designed for things that don't even have class levels. There is very little else to actually say about it.

Rating: NPC Class (Would be Garbage)

Arcanopath Monk

This is a prestige class for monk that is created solely for the purpose of countering arcane casters. Putting aside the fact that it's an exercise in futility to consistently counter spellcasters without any magic of your own, the class gives the character leveling in it many ways to inflict various stats effects on characters with their unarmed strikes(if they fail a saving throw, that is), most of which are ways to hinder or disrupt casting, like deafness and silence.

Two particular class abilities that stand out are the slap of forgetfulness, which makes the arcane caster lose 1d4 unused spell slots, and the capstone called sundering strike of oblivion, which increases the power of that by also making them completely forget how to use those forgotten spells at all(even via other slots of resting), unless they make a spellcraft check to remember it or reach their next level in that arcane casting class. Sounds pretty powerful, but these class abilities are shackled to the sub-par monk class, a balancing factor that weighs it more towards the "bad" side. Better than full monk at least.

Blessed of Gruumsh

A class made solely for Orcs or Half-Orcs that worship the god of orcs. This class is pretty unique in that it is one of the few martial-themed classes where the text-trumps-table rules comes into play. Due to the text, this class gains a luck bonus to AC equal to its Blessed of Gruumsh level (So a whopping +10 AC at level 10).

To round it out its levels it gains many 1/day abilities divided into two main categories: Ones that boost attack or damage, and ones that inflict gaze attacks that act as spell-like abilities that debuff or inflict status effect on the foe. The best of the former is Thunderous Roar of Gruumsh, which doubles the number of attacks you make in a full-round action. This effect is pretty much identical to a level 9 Maneuver from the Tome of Battle book, so it's pretty powerful.

The capstone though is kind of situational in some ways, but good in others. You inspire all orcs within a 100 foot radius, giving them a +4 morale bonus on attack rolls, skills checks, and saving throws for 10 minutes. The Blessed of Gruumsh himself, too, so he can take advantage of it even if he is the only orc in the party.

Cerebrex

This is one of many casting-based prestige classes in this book, and this one, along with the rest of them(with one exception) only gains more casting every other level. This one requires you to be an arcane caster, preferably one with INT-based casting, and what you get is mostly increased senses(with things like scent and blindsight), and the ability to add either your intelligence bonus or 1/2 your Cerebrex level to many different things like saving throws, skill checks, and ability scores. It also gets what is essentially a worse version of what the Arcanopath Monk can do(make the foe lose spells). Not worth the worse casting, like at all.

Fleet Runner of Ehlonna

Another PrC for neutral good divine casters that worship Eholonna, that gives up five precious spell levels for the ability to go fast and little else. It gains both Evasion and Improved Evasion, ways to run both faster and longer, and even a pounce ability. Unfortunately the classes that could get the most out of it can't qualify due to alignment(Paladin), or lack the ability to gain enough Knowledge: Religion ranks before level 10(Ranger). The only thing that can really enter it with ease is Cleric, and they even though clerics that enter it get a third bonus domain, it's still a net loss overall.

Flux Adept

Once again a half-caster class, only it gains casting on odd numbered levels unlike most. This one is based around slowly evolving to survive many things, and gives you many situational immunities(like saves vs cold and hot environments, and ingested poisons, but not any other kind of poison), a few natural attacks that deal pitiful acid damage, and pheromones that give bonuses to various ability and skill checks, which get larger when facing a creature that has the Scent ability. It somehow is worse than the previous two classes, all things considered, since there really isn't a character type that seems like a shoe-in for entering this.

Force Missile Mage

This class does one thing and one thing only: Buffs Magic Missile. This 5-level prestige class advances your casting for all but the first level, which is a good start. What it gives is the ability to add more missiles to your magic missile (to a max of 7 instead of the normal max of 5), allows you to cast it without moving, can turn it into fire, cold, electricity or acid, and even make it easier to penetrate spell resistance, or even bypass the Shield spell and Brooches of Shielding, which normally completely negate the spell.

To round this off you gain protection from opposing magic missiles and can even reflect them back at the caster. While it can't be called the best option out there, since it is all based around a level 1 spell, it is still an interesting option none the less.

Monk of the Enabled Hand

Yet another monk class. This one gets its best ability at level 1, which lets them use thier unarmed strikes as touch attacks a few times per day. However its number of uses is based on your level in this class, so you have to take more. The rest of this five level class gives you situational extra uses for attacks of opportunity, disarming, and bullrushing. It's an easy pass, since even in this very book there are better options for Monk.

Osteomancer

Another half-casting PrC that basically is themed on skeletons. Not in the necromancy sense, but manipulating the skeleton of yourself and others. The class seems to mostly be based around you making bone spikes and hitting people with it. You can also Paralyze or control others via manipulating their skeletons, and it works on things normally immune to both types of effects like undead, as long as they have skeletons.

Other abilities include the ability to make you skeleton disappear so you can slip into small spaces, scaring people via making your face covered in skeleton pieces, damaging skeletons to deal strength damage, and once a day liquifying someone's skeleton to instantly kill someone. Many of you may thing this sound "Metal", but in practice the class is an attempt to turn a caster into a melee fighter with edgy skeleton powers and fails at being effective.

Shaper of Form

This is a 10 level prestige class that progresses magic for six of these levels. Still a major blow, but it somehow gets far more powerful class features then the all of the previous 5/10 caster level classes.

You can the ability to transform and manipulate items into other items of the same size and material, even being able to increase their value via this method, at higher levels you can even effect magic items, at least temporarily, with this ability. Additionally every three levels you gain a permanent bonus of some sort, you can choose a +1 to any of your physical stats, +10 to your land speed, permanently change race or gender(you get every thing but stat adjustment and as long as said race has no level adjustment you can choose whatever you want), or gain +1 natural armor. You can take the same one multiple times.

On top of these abilities, you gain Polymorph and Polymorph Any Object as spell-like abilities, and at level 10 can once every two days cast Mordenkainen's Disjunction or Disintegrate on an item with no saving throw allowed. Depending on your campaign, it could actually be worth losing access to level 9 spells.

Tiers (Dragon Compendium)
Amazing Classes: N/A
Good Classes: Death Master, Urban Druid
Decent Classes: Battle Dancer, Jester, Sha'ir, Blessed of Gruumsh, Force Missile Mage, Shaper of Form
Playable Classes: Savant, Arcanopath Monk
Garbage Classes: Cerebrex, Fleet Runner of Ehlonna, Flux Adept, Monk of the Enabled Hand, Osteomancer
NPC Class (Fuck you Book): Mountebank (Would be Garbage), Aerial Avenger (Would be Garbage)

As you can see I'm much harsher when it comes to determining ratings for classes, I hold very high standards for what makes a class actually amazing. I believe you can have a lot of fun with anything Decent or better, Playable is usable but needs some work, and Garbage just isn't worth touching.

Anyways the next things I will be covering will probably be variants of the core classes found in Dragon Magazine

Attachments

Last edited:

Capsaicin Addict

Just a fellow who loves spicy food.
kiwifarms.net
You know, reading back through these (and agreeing with a lot of the end ratings), you would THINK Paizo, when they cooked up Pathfinder, would've taken the time to address some of the issues seen.

PF Fighters, for example, while still not as grand, get weapon and armor training as well as bonuses to save vs fear. Paladins got their spellcasting stat switched from Wisdom to Charisma (in 3.5E, you really didn't need more than a 14 Wisdom as a Paladin; you only had 4 levels of spells and most of them were buffs or heals anyways). And monks... still got fucked over with multiple attribute dependency.

Dr. Tran

A man of action
kiwifarms.net
I like the cut of your jib my friend. Now when are you gonna do the Book of Weaboo Fightin' Magic?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino