Careercow Andrew Dobson / Tom Preston - STOP DOING SEXIST CRAP

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
So, people get fired after the project is done, eh? Dobbo, just a simple question but..mm..ya got any proof of this and not something you dug out from your fat ass? As for Larson, hate to say sunshine but while there might have been stupid level trolling it was pretty obvious that she's a massive bitch.

UtopiaGuy

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
More likely the teams are freelancers now. So they aren't so much "fired" after a project ends, but that the project is finished or their contract ran out. But, not having been gainfully employed in the past ten years (save short-lived stints doing low-paying, menial janitor work), Dobby wouldn't know that, now would he?

elder god

kiwifarms.net
When people say shit like: "This taught me more than any college ever did" and it's not job experience or similar real experiences, that is a warning signal that they were horrible students and nobody should follow their example. I'd bet everything Dobson "learned" from Twitter and DVDs is either
A: not actually something that is important to learn,
B: something that's actually detrimental and wasn't taught for that reason, or
C: something the college actually taught and he didn't learn it then because, by his own admission, he didn't pay attention to people trying to teach him.

Jigglyjogglers

The Doctor Bashir guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When people say shit like: "This taught me more than any college ever did" and it's not job experience or similar real experiences, that is a warning signal that they were horrible students and nobody should follow their example. I'd bet everything Dobson "learned" from Twitter and DVDs is either
C: something the college actually taught and he didn't learn it then because, by his own admission, he didn't pay attention to people trying to teach him.
It was probably the Steven Universe DVD telling him "lol just do whatever consistency is for chumps" and since it was already something he believed he of course "learned" it then and there.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was probably the Steven Universe DVD telling him "lol just do whatever consistency is for chumps" and since it was already something he believed he of course "learned" it then and there.
I’m still not taking Dobson’s word as that’s what the SU creators said or meant when they talked about the style differences.

Mr. Manchester

Clickity Clack
kiwifarms.net
The cruel thing about Dobbo is how much you want to hate him. Like I'm at a job where I'm happy with that I probably got with help from my degree but I'm not really sure. I'm am too buy working.

And here's this fucker telling people it doesn't matter. Maybe it doesn't. I dunno, if some kid listens to Dobson then maybe it's their own fault. Still pretty sad to think some young balloon loving exceptional individual might fuck himself because of Dobson.

Schmorky might be a moron but I'm glad he made his shit. To think Dobson could be preventing that is pretty sad.

Furina

Centerfold
kiwifarms.net
Some people do actually learn a lot more out in the real world, through experience and hands-on work, rather than through theoretical studying in a classroom. Sometimes the university can be a little behind the times in whatever they're teaching, so it is true that some people will struggle in the classroom, but thrive in the world. Of course, Dobson did neither, because he doesn't learn because he doesn't want to learn. It doesn't matter where he is or what he's being taught or who's teaching him, if he's not interested, it'll just pass right through him. Likewise, if he thinks he already knows better, there's nothing that we can do to get it through his thick skull. Dobson, like a lot of people unfortunately, doesn't look for knowledge, just confirmation.

You mean this

Every time I see this video I'm reminded of what a passive, whiney voice Dobson has. I don't know if Dobson has ever drunk Soylent, but that voice reeks of it anyway. Try remember this voice when you read his Facebook whinging. That's the guy smuggly dismissing everything you say...

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
More likely the teams are freelancers now. So they aren't so much "fired" after a project ends, but that the project is finished or their contract ran out. But, not having been gainfully employed in the past ten years (save short-lived stints doing low-paying, menial janitor work), Dobby wouldn't know that, now would he?
Pretty much this. A lot of art/animation positions are actually unionized to some degree, the benefits of which usually only apply to people who are working in those positions full time. To get around this, a lot of stuios make the majority of their staff contract-based so they don’t have to give them all thisr extra benefits and such that come with union stipulations.

Though one thing that should be noted is that this structure tends to be most prominent with TV -based and smaller studios, as big corporations like Disney or Dreamworks will have a regular full time staff to keep a sense of cohension on their multi-million dollar projects with contract workers being hired for specific departments on an as-needed basis. Though even with television they’ll still have a full time staff because you can’t make shows with an exclusively contract staff without it turning into a clusterfuck. And even then you’d have to be an absolute buffoon to not get your contract renewed at least a few times with a studio.

Last edited:

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I imagine this doesn't really apply to movie animation by the big studios either. And even if some of them are, if they're genuinely that good, they're going to be immediately hired again for the next project rather than let them be snatched up by a rival studio. Dobson can't comprehend that because nobody has hired him more than one for some fucking reason.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
I'm of mixed opinions regarding higher education. I think the model we have currently is designed to collect money from students rather than actually prepare them to participate in the work market, and it's my experience that when applying for a job your college education won't even be considered once you have some actual work experience under your belt. So I actually don't necessarily disagree with Dobson.

However, I've achieved some success in my chosen field, so I think I have something to base that on.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino