Careercow Andrew Dobson / Tom Preston - STOP DOING SEXIST CRAP

Belvedere

kiwifarms.net
All of that stuff aside, why does he insisting that people's interest in 2-D animation is dead?
Because it helps his narrative. You see, it is Disney's fault that he is not currently a successful and respected animator because they "killed" 2D animation after Treasure Planet was sent to die at the box office. I'm not kidding, he really believes he had one foot in the door but since Pixar became a thing all his prospects for employment in the field were ruined overnight because he studied 2D animation.

That is all it is, another escape goat for him to point blame to as to why he never achieved professional success.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Plebs said it’s okay to say her drawing isn’t the best.
View attachment 962880
Well, it's not like she came up with that creepy design, the image itself is well drawn.

dobson's entire raison d'etre was to be hired by Disney. That's it. Disney or bust. Disney or nothing. Outside of a halfhearted/halfassed attempt to do a storyboard for Cartoon Network, he's made no visible effort to get hired by ANYONE else in the animation industry, and sperged like a total fucking autist when people told him to find another animation house to hire him and thus work his way up. His gravestone should read "Wanted to work for disney, never got it. Don't be a Dobson."
"There are no jobs in animation nowadays" is a way easier and more comfortable """truth""" than to admit "I didn't get a job since I'm not good enough... and I'm not good enough, cause I just can't be arsed to actually improve my art." It protects his ego in a twofold way. For one, he does not have to admit his inability to draw on the level that is demanded and he does not have to admit that the reason for that is his laziness.
Meanwhile, we have a shitton of animated shows. Gee.

To add to this. Dobson didn't just want to work at Disney (which is considered an end all be all by people who don't really fully understand how broad animation is), he wanted to do it...WITHOUT ANY EFFORT. He didn't apply for any prominent positions (from what I remember), he didn't try and improve his own work and get opportunities by doing that either. Do you know how many artists get picked off from Tumblr, Twitter or Artstation, for even simple fanart? (RJ Palmer is a known example) There are so many resources even back then that he had to kickstart his career. It would've been time-consuming and maybe a bit slower, but Rome wasn't built in a day and sometimes people DO get lucky. Dobson could've had a chance if he just tried and dropped his attitude. Maybe he wouldn't get his dream job, but it would be a hell of a lot closer than where we are now. Anything is better than nothing, and Dobson has shown that his art is very, very mediorce compared to his peers, even by cartoony standards. For every Dobson there are 10 other better artists than him competing for the same position. And this is the same guy who thought Disney would roll down the red carpet for him? Give me a break.
In that regard he's a lot like OPL used to be. He, too, would say that he'd take a cozy office job, if that job was highly paid and all he had to do was sit on his fat ass and wait for the money to roll in every month.
Dobson, too, once said as much, that he'd be able to be a 3D animator if someone made the CGI model and rigged it for animation for him. So, essentially, he could animate a character if all other work has been done. And of course, he's just way too good to spend his days as a lowly animator, he wants to be a storyboarder or the idea guy (cause we can never have enough of those, apparently), who pretty much just says "Why don't we make a show about a talking sofa and a lawnmower solving crime in downtown Denver?" and everybody else figuring out how that can be turned into an actual show.

Kinda funny, Dobson chose a line of work where you need to start humble and have to work your way up through hard work and effort.
Humble, work, effort. Three words absolutely anathema to Dobson.

SuperSheep

75 Points of Flying Fluffy Damage
kiwifarms.net
Dobson, too, once said as much, that he'd be able to be a 3D animator if someone made the CGI model and rigged it for animation for him. So, essentially, he could animate a character if all other work has been done.
In 3D animation, modelling, rigging and animation are usually separate departments. He's right about that. However, there are plenty of free rigs online he could use to build a portfolio.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In 3D animation, modelling, rigging and animation are usually separate departments. He's right about that. However, there are plenty of free rigs online he could use to build a portfolio.
Yeah, but the problem with Dobson is that he wants to cherrypick the part that's not so much about menial or tedious work and get right into the "fun" part.
But to be honest, Dobson is the kind of guy that blabbers on about how easy and convenient something is and how much he'd rock that shit and how amazing his results would be . . . as long as he's never done that. The moment he does and finds out that it's hard work, he folds quicker than Superman on laundry day.

Entertainingly enough that's what he did back on his animation college, when someone was using a better software than Dobson, he would write things about how the difference in quality of his animation compared to the other guy was entirely based on the different software (since Dobson's was supposedly really awkward and slow to use and the other one was super streamlined and amazing). He'd fill paragraph after paragraph of how easy and amazing that other programm is and that he'd churn out much better stuff in less time than that other guy if he only had that software.
Needless to say, he boasted about getting that software, then wrote a meek blog about how he needs to familiarize himself with it before he can do his epic stuff... and then he never spoke of it ever again.

SuperSheep

75 Points of Flying Fluffy Damage
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but the problem with Dobson is that he wants to cherrypick the part that's not so much about menial or tedious work and get right into the "fun" part.
That may be, but mocking someone for wanting to be an animator more than a modeller or rigger is ignoring that it is a legitimate specialization and comes across as looking for an excuse to bash someone when the issue is legit and there are better reasons to hold him in contempt.

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That may be, but mocking someone for wanting to be an animator more than a modeller or rigger is ignoring that it is a legitimate specialization and comes across as looking for an excuse to bash someone when the issue is legit and there are better reasons to hold him in contempt.
I'm not bashing him for wanting to be an animator, and I am not insinuating it's not a "real job" or anything, though. Th one thing I did bashing him for, is him thinking that being an "idea guy" is enough to be taken by Disney and given his own project from the get-go.
My point, again, was that Dobson is cherrypicking whatever he thinks is less work or more fun. At least up until he realizes that it is more work than he thought and then he loses interest.

But I agree, one of the more frustrating aspects amongst lolcow-enthusiasts is the attitude of "Lolcow likes thing. What an idiot, doesn't he know thing sucks, other thing is way superior!" If my post came acorss like that, I apologize.

Jigglyjogglers

The Doctor Bashir guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even when it was still doing mostly 2D animation, Disney was still hiring most of it out to other countries where it was cheaper. (I remember back when the Disney Channel was vaguely worth a shit they were doing a little between-shows thing talking about the production of A Goofy Movie, and one of the directors getting a call in the middle of the night because the French animation team didn't understand one of the voice lines. Hearing someone do a heavy fake French accent and say "Please, what is 'goob'?" was probably funnier than whatever show came on after that.)

The animation jobs Dobson would have been competing for have barely existed in the US for most of his life anyway. Neverminding that he admitted he doesn't actually want to be an animator, but just sit around telling everyone else what to do. Even if he were gifted with one of the animation jobs he supposedly went to school for, he would definitely quit in under two hours when he found out he didn't even get a cubicle but just a drawing table next to all the other pencil monkeys, and was expected to draw exactly what he was told exactly how he was told and got criticized and told to do it over when he failed to do so.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Didn't he rewatch that movie like 2 years ago and went on and on how bad it was?
Nah, that was Venus Wars. He did a live tweet thing about it.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino